Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

So I'm seeing people with these enormous lilith trains, and i'm not 100% sure how people are getting them? The monsters you get from the box go away by the next room, and barring some sort of infinite battery situation I don't know how so many people are getting them.

You get item charges each wave of greed mode and boss rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

So I'm seeing people with these enormous lilith trains, and i'm not 100% sure how people are getting them? The monsters you get from the box go away by the next room, and barring some sort of infinite battery situation I don't know how so many people are getting them.

Batteries regenerate between rounds in boss rush/greed mode but the familiars don't actually go away until you leave the room so you can just keep on doubling them

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So Lilith in Greed mode is a bit broken

She's in there somewhere. Every single room was like that. I just had to hold down fire and everything would explode and I had magnetic tears so health would automatically get pulled into me.

Ultra Greed was a pushover.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
God, Directed Tears are so bad.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm trying to figure out a situation where it would be good I'm just glad I had piercing shots or it would have been absolute trash.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Augus posted:

Batteries regenerate between rounds in boss rush/greed mode but the familiars don't actually go away until you leave the room so you can just keep on doubling them

Oxyclean posted:

You get item charges each wave of greed mode and boss rush.

Ah, okay. I took her into normal mode and was like "man, Lilith kinda sucks!"

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

LionYeti posted:

I'm trying to figure out a situation where it would be good I'm just glad I had piercing shots or it would have been absolute trash.

The first time I got it I was rocking ipecac + soy milk and it was the biggest mess I've ever seen.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
http://i.imgur.com/UM3lm4N.png

apparently this came from the stream that tyrone and ed are doing, has some stuff people havent found and possibly
the new character

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Grapplejack posted:

Ah, okay. I took her into normal mode and was like "man, Lilith kinda sucks!"

Lilith is weird and I can't decide if she's really good or really bad. Theoretically, if you can land every shot with her, she's one of the best characters in the game, she can stack her damage to absurd levels with the right active item modifiers like the 9-volt or car battery, but it's just a matter of actually aiming that's difficult.

I completed all the post-it icons with her and I don't think I'll be going back to play as her unless I catch her on random or a daily or something. She's got the Isaac problem of making a wide swath of items in the game not nearly as appealing just because you never ever want to give up your active item. And even then, sometimes I'll give up the D6 and you can at least reroll the active items you don't want, but with Lilith, I'll see Book of Belial or Glass Cannon or Glowing Hourglass and have to leave it behind because the Box of Friends is just too essential.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Just beat Hush with Azazel. Gnawed Leaf + Cube of Meat + 2 Pretty Flies meant I just stood there, let his adds walk into me and die, then used Epic Fetus to hit him with explosions that also (thanks, Glitter Bombs!) occasionally dropped health.

drat it feels good.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I'm super not-convinced that all this so-called locked content or ARG nonsense actually exists; it seems much more plausible given the state of the game right now that he ran out of time and didn't get everything added, and saying it's locked behind things that aren't downloaded just sounds like moving the goalposts and the community is eating it up because they don't necessarily want to accept that the game is a bit of a turd right now.

Obviously, no idea if that's the case or not, but I find it a more likely answer than "oh we didn't actually release this content for you yet, but it's totally done and ready for you, promise."

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
LOL just diced the game to death in greed mode. I guess I ran through too many combinations.

E: Selected continue on reboot, attempted to transform again and it crashed again! I think its just too many combos

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 3, 2015

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
What do empty pedestals do? Like the ones that show up under items, except they spawn empty.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Devlan Mud posted:

I'm super not-convinced that all this so-called locked content or ARG nonsense actually exists; it seems much more plausible given the state of the game right now that he ran out of time and didn't get everything added, and saying it's locked behind things that aren't downloaded just sounds like moving the goalposts and the community is eating it up because they don't necessarily want to accept that the game is a bit of a turd right now.

Obviously, no idea if that's the case or not, but I find it a more likely answer than "oh we didn't actually release this content for you yet, but it's totally done and ready for you, promise."

Ed his got his issues as a dev but he's never given us reason to believe he'd outright lie about something like that. If he says there's more to it then I believe him.

Edit: If this were all coming straight from Nicalis I would be more suspicious

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Can't beat the mode. Every time I go to the next floor the game crashes. GG EDMUND

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
he's also been super petulant about the whole Lost thing so him trying to one-up the dataminers sounds totally plausible

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Devlan Mud posted:

The datamining front has produced some results, along with a really difficult to crack secret.a file and a bunch of references to A BIG SPOILER another character named Keeper. We've got his character select data and the functions for his "Coin Hearts" and "Coin Tears" in various xml files.

The entire afterbirth.a file has been decrypted and is out there, but it's definitely :filez: territory.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 3, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

he's also been super petulant about the whole Lost thing so him trying to one-up the dataminers sounds totally plausible

There was some interview with him about this where they asked him and Tyrone if they were upset about the datamining, and they just laughed it off like heh, nah, we just don't know why people would try to burn through the game so fast.

That was it though. Literally everything else he's said about The Lost before and after that interview has made him sound really pissed about how it was discovered.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm always surprised by the amount of people who don't know that if you have three orbitals you actually can't be hit by bullets, period

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Since Incubus copies your own tears, but BFF increases the power of your familiars, not yourself, is BFF useful to pick up as Lilith? I'm staring at it right now but I also have Money = Power so I don't wanna waste money on something that I'm not sure works.

You're probably past this by now, but yes, BFF does boost Incubus.

Lilith is pretty much broken in a fun way. The one downside is that you never want to give up Box of Buddies, but this is far outweighed by the fact that she gets to double-dip from any tear or damage upgrade with it.

This is before you start including Car Battery, Habit, AAA Battery/9 Volt shenanigans.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

legoman727 posted:

God, Directed Tears are so bad.
They're alright if you have piercing.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Ok I got it now, they aren't empty pedestals they're stone chests, bomb them to release items.

I played a ton of the original Binding of Isaac, but I just picked up Rebirth + Afterbirth yesterday. Lots of new stuff, liking it a lot.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Since Incubus copies your own tears, but BFF increases the power of your familiars, not yourself, is BFF useful to pick up as Lilith? I'm staring at it right now but I also have Money = Power so I don't wanna waste money on something that I'm not sure works.

I actually never really thought about that. I've been picking it up presuming with confidence that it would buff Incubus. Looked it up and it seems it does.

What surprises me with Lilith is that Monstro's Lung and Cursed Eye do jack squat with Incubus. Which is a good thing in the case of Cursed Eye, at least. gently caress Cursed Eye

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 3, 2015

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Bought this game Friday.
Beat Mom on Saturday.
Beat Mom's heart today.
Feels good man.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mugaaz posted:

Bought this game Friday.
Beat Mom on Saturday.
Beat Mom's heart today.
Feels good man.

Congrats! You've almost started the game!

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Heh, ?-card and Blank Card synergize pretty goddamn well.

Every time you use Blank Card, it spawns 2 pedestal items.

This run is now broke as gently caress.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mugaaz posted:

Bought this game Friday.
Beat Mom on Saturday.
Beat Mom's heart today.
Feels good man.

I did the same thing but in my first hour of playing

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

DrGreatJob posted:

Heh, ?-card and Blank Card synergize pretty goddamn well.

Every time you use Blank Card, it spawns 2 pedestal items.

This run is now broke as gently caress.

I was wondering what'd happen when you did that. I'm vaguely disappointed it doesn't just cause an endless recursion loop of activating the card that winds up crashing the game though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think they might have uncapped soy milk. Which just means it crashes hard if you have lots of extra tears per shot.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
On one hand, 20/20 and Inner Eye stack now.

On the other, Mom Hands in Devil Rooms.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

CJacobs posted:

I didn't say that. I said that if they had not played through it faster than the developers expected them to, there would be no issue. That's not accusing them of being wrong for playing the game fast, it's a factual statement (edit: factual assuming that people taking Edmund at face value is correct). It's non-accusational.

edit: But again, we don't know if that actually is the truth or not so all this is just speculation. There's really no point in arguing about it until we know for sure.

If there is content intentionally withheld for future updates (I personally doubt there is) then the devs not predicting how quickly people are going to consume the game is a pretty dumb failure on their part, not the players.

Releasing a reportedly complete title and telling the players how quickly they are allowed to actually play it would be a dick move, especially if you aren't going to give them a heads up ahead of them purchasing it, if that's the case anyway.

Not that it matters to me, I started fresh and haven't had much time to play it. Personally I'm hoping that any secret unlocks and item functions are figured out before I approach any kind of "end" in this.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 3, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

CJacobs posted:

People complaining that they blew through dozens of hours of content in like 2 days will never not be funny to me. I rarely agree with edmund because his idea of game design leaves a lot to be desired but if the dlc's content not being all implemented yet really is the truth, consider that the only reason you KNOW that is because some people blew through it way faster than expected and if they hadn't done so it wouldn't even be a big deal.

I hate throwing the word 'entitled' around because in 2015 it doesn't mean much but drat the people yelling about wanting a refund need to cool their fuckin jets.

Right now we know there's content missing from the game, and that obviously causes some people to be angry that they don't appear to have gotten the thing they paid for on the date it was advertised it would be given to them. I do trust that the content that was promised actually exists and will be found or patched in.

However, doing something like this ARG requires a lot of people to trust Ed and Nicalis. I don't think Ed has ever lied about stuff, but both Nicalis and Isaac have kind of a history when it comes to broken poo poo. It's hard for any reasonable person to tell the difference between bugs and clues on how to find the new content.

The secret rooms in Greed Mode are the best example. It doesn't seem like there should be secret rooms in Greed Mode since you get trapped when you enter them. Is this a clue? Is it a bug caused by a coding oversight? With the track record Nicalis has for broken stuff it's hard for a lot of people to trust that this could be a clue. The same goes for the Stud Finder or the Black Feather. Have we just not figured out how to use them or are they broken? There have been broken trinkets before.

Ending 17 is another example. Is the fact that it doesn't appear properly a clue or a bug? Is the Blue Womb Steam achievement broken or have we just not found Blue Womb yet? Bugged achievements and endings have happened before.

So basically, Ed and Nicalis want to do an event that requires us to have faith that the game is working as intended despite the fact that trust in their ability to pull that off is pretty low. If they wanted to do something cryptic with the content in this expansion then they really should have messaged that before release. It probably would have made people more excited.

Instead they want to be tight-lipped, and then they get annoyed when, in that vacuum of information, people start to assume things based on their previous interactions with Ed, Isaac, and Nicalis. They can't have it both ways.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Blue Bomber is quite a thing.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Big rooms giving double item charge is such a nice change! Judas and Lilith basically get a free use of their starter items.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
It's really disappointing that the mom transformation is so terrible since they had such an obvious way to make a mom transformation worthwhile. Just turn your shot into an Epic Fetus style target that drops a High Priestess style foot stomp.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What is the Blue Hourglass even for? To redo boss fights you think you can do better?

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

Einwand posted:

I was wondering what'd happen when you did that. I'm vaguely disappointed it doesn't just cause an endless recursion loop of activating the card that winds up crashing the game though.

Yeah, but on the other hand :getin:

Ipecac, Mutant Spider, Tractor Beam, Holy Mantle, Wafer, Holy Light, etc. You know, everything good in the game. Turns out it's still fun to break the poo poo out of Isaac after all this time.

Edit: Eh, well, I killed the Lamb basically instantly without even firing so... yeah. Maybe a bit too overpowered.

DrGreatJob fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 3, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RatHat posted:

What is the Blue Hourglass even for? To redo boss fights you think you can do better?

It can save you if you get really beat up, yeah, but you can also do stuff like test out pills, safely find out what certain items are if you have Curse of the Blind, find out if a golden chest is worth spending a key on, etc. You can also feasibly use it as The Lost to save yourself from a botched attempt at a room.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DrGreatJob posted:

Yeah, but on the other hand :getin:

Ipecac, Mutant Spider, Tractor Beam, Holy Mantle, Wafer, Holy Light, etc. You know, everything good in the game. Turns out it's still fun to break the poo poo out of Isaac after all this time.

Edit: Eh, well, I killed the Lamb basically instantly without even firing so... yeah. Maybe a bit too overpowered.

I think you mean "just powered enough" :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Overpowered is when your insane combination of bullets that turn into huge bomb spreads that turn into bullets that turn into several generations of new bullets crashes the game every other room.