Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

HEY NONG MAN posted:

So many places claim to be The Real Taste Of Mexico but I honestly don't know who to trust.

Whenever a friend of mine from Mexico is out here he really likes Senior Moose in Ballard: http://senormoose.com/ It's pretty drat close to the real thing according to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SeaborneClink posted:

Burrito Boy is always the correct answer.
Burrito Boy has thumb-sized cockroaches in half of their shops, and they charge like 50 cents to throw in onions or tomatoes.

Burrito Amigos will sell you a Bean & Cheese burrito, and then add in tomato, onion, cilantro, and salsa for free. Rice is like 25 cents extra. The owner of the place is a pint-sized dictator but he keeps the stores and carts and delivery trucks spotless despite being the latin twin of a really, really sketchy boss I used to work for.

Also Burrito Boy is poo poo for consistent bean quality, and I'e had steel scrub pads in my burritos three times, and 0 times from anywhere else in Eugene. They can keep their cockroaches.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Am I OK for liking Rancho Bravo? :ohdear:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Burrito Boy has thumb-sized cockroaches in half of their shops, and they charge like 50 cents to throw in onions or tomatoes.

Burrito Amigos will sell you a Bean & Cheese burrito, and then add in tomato, onion, cilantro, and salsa for free. Rice is like 25 cents extra. The owner of the place is a pint-sized dictator but he keeps the stores and carts and delivery trucks spotless despite being the latin twin of a really, really sketchy boss I used to work for.

Also Burrito Boy is poo poo for consistent bean quality, and I'e had steel scrub pads in my burritos three times, and 0 times from anywhere else in Eugene. They can keep their cockroaches.

I have eaten at Burrito Boy for more than a decade, and have never seen anything like what you describe. The Franklin restaurant more than any other, but also the one down near the bus station, the one on West 11th and the newer one on Chambers street. I'm not sure when or where you had your experience, but it doesn't track with my own at all.

I used to have lunch at the one on Franklin several times a week since I worked within walking distance, and they were always good. :shrug:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

mod sassinator posted:

Whenever a friend of mine from Mexico is out here he really likes Senior Moose in Ballard: http://senormoose.com/ It's pretty drat close to the real thing according to him.

Their tostadas machaca is amazing. Guac is second to none and fresh fried chips to boot.

One time we were eating there, though, and a 4"x4" square of drywall hit my wife in the head. Lesson Learned: Don't sit under an electrical panel.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've been to Mexico all of one time, and being hit in the head by faulty construction is pretty loving authentic based on what I saw.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

foobardog posted:

Am I OK for liking Rancho Bravo? :ohdear:

Yes, especially if you've been drinking.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sloppy posted:

Burrito..chains? Every town in the country has at least one little taqueria where you can buy an amazing burrito log for like $5.
This is correct, with a caveat that the only good burrito chains are local ones. Stay away from national chains.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Chipotle taste bad. The taco truck parked outside will taste better, be cheaper, and ironically not give you e. coli.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
If you're in the tri-cities in washington I recommend Junior's on 5th and Court in Pasco. All the food I've had there is really good, and comparable to the restaurants I've visited along the Texas-Mexico border.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

seiferguy posted:

Memo's is more bland than Chipotle. At least the one in Everett was.

I disagree. But not enough to knife fight over it. It's just mexican food and I can't hate a 24 hour place just on principle.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Freakazoid_ posted:

I disagree. But not enough to knife fight over it. It's just mexican food and I can't hate a 24 hour place just on principle.

Seriously, being able to drab decent Mexican after second shift ends is pretty drat awesome.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Muchas Gracias has gone downhill hard in the last several years. All of their meat is half gristle and other chewy bits.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Verde Cocina is the best Mexican food in Portland, including an amazing caliente margarita!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
So Portlanders don't feel left out of mexican food chat, La Carreta is my go-to for reasonably authentic mexican. There's one in Gresham on Burnside, and one on McLaughlin in Portland. Both are excellent for satisfying that craving.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have eaten at Burrito Boy for more than a decade, and have never seen anything like what you describe. The Franklin restaurant more than any other, but also the one down near the bus station, the one on West 11th and the newer one on Chambers street. I'm not sure when or where you had your experience, but it doesn't track with my own at all.

I used to have lunch at the one on Franklin several times a week since I worked within walking distance, and they were always good. :shrug:
Can confirm inconsistent beans and steel scrub pads from Franklin. Yes their little foil-wrapped effigy of the kids who ate their every night is cute, but when my burrito is too salty to finish or the beans are too hard because someone put too much vinegar and salt in too early once or twice a week, I get tired of giving them second chances. Definitely have roaches in there, and at the bus station location.

They also deliver the beans and stuff to their other locations, which is probably how I got steel shavings in my burrito at the bus station as well.

SyHopeful posted:

Muchas Gracias has gone downhill hard in the last several years. All of their meat is half gristle and other chewy bits.
Muchas Gracias has been closing stores like crazy, I suspect due to health code violations after I found pubes in my fish tacos at the one on Franklin (which was shortly closed after that, and then turned into a chicken place that closed)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 3, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

http://q13fox.com/2015/11/02/seattle-leaders-declare-homeless-emergency/

quote:

Seattle’s mayor, council members and the King County Executive have declared the city’s growing homelessness an emergency situation.

... The state reports that 35,000 people in King County become homeless at some point during the year.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I eat out a lot in CA and your guys stories of roaches, metal shavings and pubes is bizarre.

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009
Did anyone else here vote no on the move Seattle levy? I've voted "yes" for every single tax increase since moving here, but $900 million for a medley of "meh" projects is too much for me. I don't see any of the measures in it significantly reducing traffic, and Sound Transit has done a much better job with the billions they've gotten to improve transit.

(Oh god I'm turning into a republican :ohdear: )

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

a rowdy mullet posted:

Did anyone else here vote no on the move Seattle levy? I've voted "yes" for every single tax increase since moving here, but $900 million for a medley of "meh" projects is too much for me. I don't see any of the measures in it significantly reducing traffic, and Sound Transit has done a much better job with the billions they've gotten to improve transit.
Comparing Move Seattle to Sound Transit's initiatives in terms of impact seems a little unfair. ST3 is going to be what, $15 billion? Yes, Move Seattle is a grab bag of improvements to walking, biking and transit, but what's so bad about that?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

a rowdy mullet posted:

(Oh god I'm turning into a republican :ohdear: )

Yo, Move Seattle isn't going to improve traffic. Literally nothing will, short of a regional recession / depression. Move Seattle is aimed at improving alternative modes of transportation, so that instead of being forced to drive everywhere, you have better walking, biking, and transit alternatives. $1 billion sounds like a lot out of hand, but it is a tiny fraction of the yearly road and highway tire-fire budget that we constantly shovel money into without thinking about it.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if Move Seattle passes. Time and time again people here have shown that they don't really give a poo poo about infrastructure improvements unless they are A) in service of sprawl and roads, or B) huge mega-projects like light rail. And even the light rail was thrown out half a dozen times before people realized the mess they made.

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 3, 2015

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

Cicero posted:

Comparing Move Seattle to Sound Transit's initiatives in terms of impact seems a little unfair. ST3 is going to be what, $15 billion? Yes, Move Seattle is a grab bag of improvements to walking, biking and transit, but what's so bad about that?

I would have been a lot more comfortable with having the choice to fund road repair/transit/bike lanes in separate levies. The projects funded are for the most part good and needed, but for something that huge it sure isn't going to do much to improve traffic (which is loving unbearable and getting worse fast). I commute by bus, and while the rapid ride corridors are cool for specific trips I seriously doubt they'll come near my part of the city or help me get to my usual destinations appreciably faster. I would love to see something similar to SF's surface/subway Muni rail system brought to larger areas of the city, and I don't think that going all-in on bus rapid transit is the solution due to our geography. For me it's just too much money for too little in specific, measurable improvements when we're going to be backing up a truckload of money for ST3 next year (which i will happily vote for no matter the cost).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

I eat out a lot in CA and your guys stories of roaches, metal shavings and pubes is bizarre.

Yeah my favorite is "I found steel scrub pads in my burrito on 3 separate occasions." You went back?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

a rowdy mullet posted:

I would have been a lot more comfortable with having the choice to fund road repair/transit/bike lanes in separate levies.
The problem with splitting it up is that people go, "oh, it doesn't fund my preferred form of transportation, so forget it" and then most or even all of them don't pass.

quote:

The projects funded are for the most part good and needed, but for something that huge it sure isn't going to do much to improve traffic (which is loving unbearable and getting worse fast).
It's virtually impossible to 'fix' car traffic in a major metro's core by adding more road capacity or improving other forms of transportation. If you shift some people to transit by making it better, that will free up road space that others will then decide to use. It's induced demand.

Too much traffic in dense urban areas is really a problem of pricing: that road space is extremely valuable, just like any other land in an urban core, but it's priced the same (via the gas tax) as a rural highway in the middle of nowhere. Econ 101: under-priced, over-used.

You can fix it with pricing, of course, just add a congestion charge to downtown. But people don't want to pay something resembling market rate, they want it subsidized to nothing but still available for them at all times. Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways when it's a fundamentally limited resource.

What Move Seattle does (and what ST3 will do) is sidestep the issue by giving people alternatives that take them out of that car traffic. Biking, buses, and trains don't have the same problems of traffic, or at least don't have them nearly as bad.

quote:

I commute by bus, and while the rapid ride corridors are cool for specific trips I seriously doubt they'll come near my part of the city or help me get to my usual destinations appreciably faster. I would love to see something similar to SF's surface/subway Muni rail system brought to larger areas of the city, and I don't think that going all-in on bus rapid transit is the solution due to our geography. For me it's just too much money for too little in specific, measurable improvements when we're going to be backing up a truckload of money for ST3 next year (which i will happily vote for no matter the cost).
It's really not that much money, though. Each thing Move Seattle is funding is a moderate improvement for a moderate cost.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 3, 2015

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I think you can quibble about projects and details within Move Seattle, and some of them are probably valid complaints, but it's a larger fundamental issue that made me vote yes - you can't solve problems without resources.

I think everyone would agree transportation is the #1 challenge facing Seattle, maybe a close #2 after housing affordability, and I think everyone would like to see that problem addressed. But how can we expect to see government address the problem if we the voters and taxpayers don't provide the commensurate resources to the government? If SDOT, the mayor and the city council screw it up and misuse the resources/taxes, I'll vote them out of office, but it's not fair to expect them to solve the problems without the tools and money they need. Taxes need to be big to solve big problems, and transportation is a big problem, so... I'm voting for a transportation tax increase.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 3, 2015

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tacoma is pretty drat cool. I would live there if the schools weren't god awful terrible and the soil wasn't harm your kids lead contaminated. Jesus that map is scary.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm kind of surprised the Move Seattle vote seems this close when it has the support of the mayor, every current city council person, and every city council candidate that has a shot at winning. What's the alternative, exactly? Just let things continue to suck because this thing wasn't big enough?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Cicero posted:

I'm kind of surprised the Move Seattle vote seems this close when it has the support of the mayor, every current city council person, and every city council candidate that has a shot at winning. What's the alternative, exactly? Just let things continue to suck because this thing wasn't big enough?

FYGM runs strong in this state.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Seriously folks, you whine and complain about traffic but when it comes down to it you won't vote for or actively vote against any solutions out there.

How many of you still have ballots out?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BrandorKP posted:

Tacoma is pretty drat cool. I would live there if the schools weren't god awful terrible and the soil wasn't harm your kids lead contaminated. Jesus that map is scary.

What's so bad about either?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Solkanar512 posted:

Seriously folks, you whine and complain about traffic but when it comes down to it you won't vote for or actively vote against any solutions out there.

You mean I have to pay ***taxes*** for services and infrastructure?!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The issue with traffic outside of the urban cores is state related. If you want to see things change, vote out all the (R) at the state level because they don't want to pay for poo poo.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Tacoma schools produced me :colbert:

Solkanar512 posted:

Just put mine in the LFP dropbox :ocelot:

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Taco Time is the best PNW chain for fast Mexican. Deep fried burritos and some Mexi-fries are an effective and delicious hangover cure.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Can someone explain to me the rationale behind the HOV changes to the 405? I only come into/through Seattle once every couple of months and finally my father told me about them, but for the life of me they seem rear end backwards.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Fix posted:

Can someone explain to me the rationale behind the HOV changes to the 405? I only come into/through Seattle once every couple of months and finally my father told me about them, but for the life of me they seem rear end backwards.

To cause pain and distress to people that live east of Lake Washington but north of Olympia in order to induce support and use of major transportation projects (light rail et al) in spite of a natural tendency to never fund or use anything but single-occupancy cars.

Also, to pay a corporate kick-back of fees generated.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BrandorKP posted:

Can you provide a link?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Tacoma schools produced me :colbert:

I knew there was a reason I liked you despite you being a terrible human.

Just don't eat the grass. It's not like kids play out doors anyways.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Fix posted:

Sure. The hot lanes are part of a larger-picture effort to provide more transportation options to a heavily congested corridor, introduce the concept of congestion pricing to the region, and allow for more dependable and faster transit service. A transit-only lane would have been vastly underutilized at this point, so WSDOT put in the system of two toll / HOV lanes in order to prioritize certain forms of transportation. Since they are just two lanes of freeway, they are easily customizable in case conditions change in the next few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Drunk Tomato posted:

Sure. The hot lanes are part of a larger-picture effort to provide more transportation options to a heavily congested corridor, introduce the concept of congestion pricing to the region, and allow for more dependable and faster transit service. A transit-only lane would have been vastly underutilized at this point, so WSDOT put in the system of two toll / HOV lanes in order to prioritize certain forms of transportation. Since they are just two lanes of freeway, they are easily customizable in case conditions change in the next few years.
IIRC there was also an issue of federal money for those lanes being dependent on a minimum average speed or something along those lines.

• Locked thread