Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Joementum posted:

Jeb! starts off November promising no turkeys.

is this from today? If so is he actually doing the "no glasses" idea? :allears:

Joementum posted:

Great Moments in Campaign Journalism

first a helicopter in Iowa, then a zamboni in New York... awaiting the Donald and Peggy Noonan flying through the Miami waters in a Trump-branded cigarette boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Rollofthedice posted:

I don't know what you're on man, but I don't want any of it.

This is what Ben Carson's campaign is about, but we're still in the first act where Carson and me sound "crazy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJC4R1uXDaE

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Rollofthedice posted:

I don't know what you're on man, but I don't want any of it.

Glyconutrients.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Rocks posted:

is this from today?
Today, 20 years ago.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Carson is a smart man for the right topics which is why it's upsetting he's running for President and saying stupid, awful stuff. He could've stayed at home, been content with being a famous neurosurgeon with an inspiring backstory. Now he's the neurosurgeon that really hates Muslims with a voice of pure Ambien.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you can laugh at jeb all you want, but swords are insanely cool and i would be his friend if he gave me a katana with some crazy lord of the rings flavor he made up for our d&d campaign

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Smoothrich posted:

This is what Ben Carson's campaign is about, but we're still in the first act where Carson and me sound "crazy"

The sunglasses in They Live are meant to symbolize LSD

Food for thought

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Great movie though

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

This book will surely rescue iJeb!'s campaign.

2016 Republican Primary: "I hope you enjoy reading about medical liability tort reform"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Smoothrich posted:

I hate to tell you this, dude, but your guy's gonna be more like "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they laugh even harder at you, then they bust a gut laughing at you as you torpedo any chance your party has at the White House."

Carson not sounding like Dr. Sleepy Baby one time doesn't make him qualified for the White House, just like being an amazing neurosurgeon in no way qualifies him for the White House. He is less qualified than any of the hacks who gained brief primacy in 2012 over Mitt Romney, and that is a ridiculously low bar to clear. Your guy sucks. Please take your meds and deal with it.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 3, 2015

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Logikv9 posted:

Carson is a smart man for the right topics which is why it's upsetting he's running for President and saying stupid, awful stuff. He could've stayed at home, been content with being a famous neurosurgeon with an inspiring backstory. Now he's the neurosurgeon that really hates Muslims with a voice of pure Ambien.

He thinks Muslims have a lot of seemingly core values that are incompatible with the American Constitution. If a Muslim thinks that depicting Muhammad or apostasy is prohibited, even punishable by death in some cases, how could they believe in the First Amendment's protection of freedom of speech and religion?

“People who come here from outside are welcome if in fact they have a belief system that they are willing to subjugate to our American values and our American Constitution.” Carson said he had “no problem whatsoever” with people who put American values and the Constitution first but added that “if in fact they are not willing to subjugate that to our system, then the last thing I want is for them to be president of the United States.”

Source: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/27/dr-ben-carson-muslims-must-subjugate-belief-system-to-u-s-constitution/

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Has Jeb dropped out yet

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Carson-Clinton debate would be a bloodbath of epic proportions and it would probably break Carson on a deep psychological level getting so thoroughly trounced. Hillary is no Diamond Joe, but she's a hell of a lot closer to that than Carson is to Palin or Ryan.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Smoothrich posted:

He thinks Muslims have a lot of seemingly core values that are incompatible with the American Constitution. If a Muslim thinks that depicting Muhammad or apostasy is prohibited, even punishable by death in some cases, how could they believe in the First Amendment's protection of freedom of speech and religion?

“People who come here from outside are welcome if in fact they have a belief system that they are willing to subjugate to our American values and our American Constitution.” Carson said he had “no problem whatsoever” with people who put American values and the Constitution first but added that “if in fact they are not willing to subjugate that to our system, then the last thing I want is for them to be president of the United States.”

Source: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/27/dr-ben-carson-muslims-must-subjugate-belief-system-to-u-s-constitution/

breitbart is a lolclick

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I swear on this Koran in Allah's great & merciful name, to uphold the laws of Sharia in these United Emirates of Americastan.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Smoothrich posted:

Many Christians believe that displaying Jesus in an unflattering light should be against the law. Why should we allow people who believe that in a country that protects freedom of speech?

See what I did there? Also, Breitbart? Really?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Smoothrich posted:

You realize that the republican party is all but founded on the idea of forcing their religious beliefs on others by the mechanism of government right? Anti-sharia law bills, religious exemptions for gay bashing, abortion bans and on and on.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/661361757131264002

quote:

comin wit that sick poo poo
my Super PAC's liquid
if you got a problem yo
#JebCanFixIt

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Rocks posted:

Has Jeb dropped out yet

Jeb! didn't exactly make his name by knowing when to put something functionally dead out of its misery.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GalacticAcid posted:

Jeb! didn't exactly make his name by knowing when to put something functionally dead out of its misery.

:pusheen:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Smoothrich posted:

He thinks Muslims have a lot of seemingly core values that are incompatible with the American Constitution.

Generalising about Muslims aside, you do realise that having values at odds with the constitution isn't in and of itself a bad thing? Nor was it considered as such by the God Kings founders of America. There wouldn't be a process for amending it if they had.

Thomas Jefferson posted:

Some men look at constitutions with sanctimonious reverence and deem them like the ark of the covenant, too sacred to be touched. They ascribe to the men of the preceding age a wisdom more than human and suppose what they did to be beyond amendment. I knew that age well; I belonged to it and labored with it. It deserved well of its country. It was very like the present but without the experience of the present; and forty years of experience in government is worth a century of book-reading; and this they would say themselves were they to rise from the dead.

e: ah gently caress, didn't realise that smoothrich has an av now

Bryter fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 3, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GalacticAcid posted:

:golfclap:

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Logikv9 posted:

breitbart is a lolclick

he's just linking a direct quote that Carson said on live television. It's not like Breitbart doesn't use facts they just don't analyze them correctly.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Careful, Jeb!. Your people don't take kindly to hoodies, from what I understand.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Oiled and Ready posted:

he's just linking a direct quote that Carson said on live television. It's not like Breitbart doesn't use facts they just don't analyze them correctly.

Making poo poo up is actually the only reason anybody cares about Breitbart.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

have all the funny emails been posted or is it still worth it to buy the book for the adventures of the Middle-Aged 11-Year-Old

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I saw a guy at the Atlanta airport today with a "You can't stump the Trump!" t-shirt. I kind of wanted to take a picture of his shirt, but it's probably best not to stop and talk to someone crazy enough to wear that shirt.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Making poo poo up is actually the only reason anybody cares about Breitbart.

Also he became a cocaine elemental shortly before dropping dead, one of his last appearances was him being recorded yelling "BEHAVE YOURSELVES" over and over at protesters, all red-faced and huffy.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Oiled and Ready posted:

I'm sure the quote can be found elsewhere but linking to Breitbart just compounds the fact he's wrong & bad

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FAUXTON posted:

Also he became a cocaine elemental shortly before dropping dead, one of his last appearances was him being recorded yelling "BEHAVE YOURSELVES" over and over at protesters, all red-faced and huffy.

Oh, I am stealing this for when I'm doing role playing games again!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I do have to say, a lot of the knee-jerk things to be said about Carson's chances sound a lot like what people were saying about Trump, while Carson's been hanging out around second (and now around first) for quite some time. He might not be any more susceptible to the boom-bust cycle of the 2012 not-Romneys than Trump was, at least not for a while. The real difference is Carson just doesn't come off as someone who can ride a wave or control a narrative - his poll numbers seem more the result of the evangelicals and not-Trump outsiders choosing him, rather than something he's created.

He doesn't quite come off as wanting to win. The book tour explanation is quite plausible, or if he makes a really strong showing maybe as VP for some of the non-establishment types. People sat around waiting for Trump to burst and it was a spanner in a lot of strategies when he didn't but there's something about Carson that seems to encourage the same kind of thinking, even in Trump himself. He seems unserious in any way that term can still have meaning.

It's probably useful for Trump if Carson sticks around, even if he has to worry about losing his lead. The two of them are locking up half the GOP electorate which is keeping the rest of the vote split a dozen ways while candidates wait to see if they'll self-destruct and which way their supporters would break. The strength of their combined candidacies promotes the narrative that this is an outsider election and rejects the power of the establishment, all good for their side. Trump and Carson trying to take votes off each other would be as unproductive as it's been for Jeb trying to claw back relevance from Rubio.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Actually it was "STOP RAPING PEOPLE!!!"

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

memy posted:

The sunglasses in They Live are meant to symbolize LSD

Food for thought

John Carpenter on They Live posted:

"I began watching TV again. I quickly realized that everything we see is designed to sell us something... It's all about wanting us to buy something. The only thing they want to do is take our money." To this end, Carpenter thought of sunglasses as being the tool to seeing the truth, which "is seen in black and white. It's as if the aliens have colorized us. That means, of course, that Ted Turner is really a monster from outer space." (Turner had received some bad press in the 1980s for colorizing classic black-and-white movies.) The director commented on the alien threat in an interview: "They want to own all our businesses. A Universal executive asked me, 'Where's the threat in that? We all sell out every day.' I ended up using that line in the film." The aliens were deliberately made to look like ghouls, according to Carpenter, who said, "The creatures are corrupting us, so they, themselves, are corruptions of human beings."

Sounds a lot like the liberal/corporate media being in the tank for Hillary/Democrats to me. Time Warner (Ted Turner/CNN) Universal (Comcast/NBC) etc are all Hillary shills, which is why all the late night talk show hosts that are owned by the same half dozen companies bash Republicans and praise Hillary nonstop. Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart, John Oliver, they are all ghouls once you "Wake Up." "PUT ON THE GLASSES" is Carson's message basically, the propaganda is everywhere keeping America divided and hyper-partisan.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/375116/how-comcast-bought-democratic-party-matthew-continetti for some Facts about Comcast lobbyism

"The ugly forces of hate and division they won't let up, but they do not represent the American people.. they represent a small fraction of the political elite" - Joe Biden, describing the liberal media and Wall Street's backing of Hillary Clinton and hijacking of the Democrats that made him give up on his Presidential ambitions. Every channel, newspaper, and website owned and operated by a handful of NYC media conglomerates just blast left-wing hate speech now about racism, islamophobia etc to work up the liberals into a frothing rage for easy votes.

Want reform? Carson 2016, the only one not corrupt as poo poo.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
:chloe:

FAUXTON posted:

tbf, no drugs were recorded in his body when he died.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 3, 2015

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

I do have to say, a lot of the knee-jerk things to be said about Carson's chances sound a lot like what people were saying about Trump, while Carson's been hanging out around second (and now around first) for quite some time. He might not be any more susceptible to the boom-bust cycle of the 2012 not-Romneys than Trump was, at least not for a while. The real difference is Carson just doesn't come off as someone who can ride a wave or control a narrative - his poll numbers seem more the result of the evangelicals and not-Trump outsiders choosing him, rather than something he's created.

He doesn't quite come off as wanting to win. The book tour explanation is quite plausible, or if he makes a really strong showing maybe as VP for some of the non-establishment types. People sat around waiting for Trump to burst and it was a spanner in a lot of strategies when he didn't but there's something about Carson that seems to encourage the same kind of thinking, even in Trump himself. He seems unserious in any way that term can still have meaning.

It's probably useful for Trump if Carson sticks around, even if he has to worry about losing his lead. The two of them are locking up half the GOP electorate which is keeping the rest of the vote split a dozen ways while candidates wait to see if they'll self-destruct and which way their supporters would break. The strength of their combined candidacies promotes the narrative that this is an outsider election and rejects the power of the establishment, all good for their side. Trump and Carson trying to take votes off each other would be as unproductive as it's been for Jeb trying to claw back relevance from Rubio.

I said a few days ago that the narrative is shifting from "Trump dominates" to "Trump/Carson horserace," but that narrative might actually benefit Trump because it leaves less room for Cruz and Rubio.

Carson snatching the lead away from Trump might be humiliating for Donald, but it'll force him to get his game face on and put a fire under his rear end, and that is pure upside. We'll start getting Trump ads and serious campaigning out of him. The competition will help force him into shape.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Caros posted:

You realize that the republican party is all but founded on the idea of forcing their religious beliefs on others by the mechanism of government right? Anti-sharia law bills, religious exemptions for gay bashing, abortion bans and on and on.

It was founded by a coalition united against "Slave Power" that the Democrats were wielding to cause Congressional gridlock to protect the wealthy elite class, slave owning Democrats in the South and media/finance Democrats in NYC. The Dems incited NYC draft riots with "Irish/Italian Privilege" propaganda to undermine the Republicans during the Civil War, just like they do today.

I guess Abraham Lincoln, the first Republican president, forced his values on the South by the mechanism of government too when you put it that way.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

No kidding.

Can we merge the treads back again? I'll take the Bernie Clinton slap fight over the Smoothrich Carson fellatio-thon.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Smoothrich posted:

It was founded by a coalition united against "Slave Power" that the Democrats were wielding to cause Congressional gridlock to protect the wealthy elite class, slave owning Democrats in the South and media/finance Democrats in NYC. The Dems incited NYC draft riots with "Irish/Italian Privilege" propaganda to undermine the Republicans during the Civil War, just like they do today.

I guess Abraham Lincoln, the first Republican president, forced his values on the South by the mechanism of government too when you put it that way.

The modern Republican Party has absolutely nothing to do with the historical Republican Party. This is not a difficult distinction to grasp.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sinnlos posted:

The modern Republican Party has absolutely nothing to do with the historical Republican Party. This is not a difficult distinction to grasp.

PUT ON THE GLASSES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

No kidding.

Can we merge the treads back again? I'll take the Bernie Clinton slap fight over the Smoothrich Carson fellatio-thon.

Once Carson's numbers start dropping again Smoothrich will vanish again, just give it a few days

• Locked thread