Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Xenaero posted:

I placed gold nova 4 in the ranks update. So I've only climbed 6 ranks in 3100 hours.

Xenaero posted:

I'm LEM and I don't buy/use any nades unless I have a specific plan
Maybe a uh uh uh correlation here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

i stopped buying HEs and started buying molotovs and it feels good

there's literally no excuse for leaving spawn on a full buy round without at least smoke+2xflash tho

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

mcvey posted:

Maybe a uh uh uh correlation here

correlation from cs nostradamus quatrains: Suck my dick

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I'm still undecided as to whether CT molotovs are actually worthwhile. For the price, they are often less useful than a regular HE. I can see their place in a team with co-ordination, but otherwise they are relatively niche. As a T they seem so much better to me, especially flushing out positions. Most CT mollies just seem like a delaying tactic and a way to do like 8 damage to one T.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
They're super useful for retakes

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
That sinking feeling when you remember a sick ace clutch but it was over a week ago and you didnt get the demo.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ArfJason posted:

That sinking feeling when you remember a sick ace clutch but it was over a week ago and you didnt get the demo.

That sinking feeling where you made a cool play but it's on faceit so you can't download a demo because faceit is poo poo and doesn't get the demo 99% of the time.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
This is why shadowplay is essential

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

ArfJason posted:

You should download every demo and just use headshotbox it's pretty drat useful, here is the main screen

and here is an example of the search feature

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is there a way to automatically have it do a demo for any game I play so I can be lazy?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

mcvey posted:

They still happen nightly

Weird. Haven't been seeing the steam group announcements.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Famethrowa posted:

Weird. Haven't been seeing the steam group announcements.

Might want to check your settings then because they go out a lot.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Xenaero posted:

I'm LEM and I don't buy/use any nades unless I have a specific plan

NA:CS in a nutshell

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Bohemian Nights posted:

NA:CS in a nutshell

Funnily enough I think some american pro, maybe hiko or adren or someone, said not to buy nades unless you have a plan for them in one of their tutorials or something

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Funnily enough I think some american pro, maybe hiko or adren or someone, said not to buy nades unless you have a plan for them in one of their tutorials or something

Because the truth in plenty of people who mindlessly buy 1000 worth of nades will die with plenty of them unused.

And the majority of users toss them with abandon anyway, it's really annoying. Why are we on our 3rd save round again? Oh right

Nades are very helpful, but buying them up every round? Eh

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

you almost always benefit from at least one flash and one smoke, unless you're on an eco

it's a bit harder to usefully use 4 nades

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've learned a few set grenade throws. Beyond that, my grenades are useless. My flashes never work. I'm bad with angles. This is why I can't play pool worth a drat either.

My HE will occasionally take someone out though, that's always kinda fun.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Grenades take thought and planning.

That's too hard and boring. I just want to wadadad and shoot heads.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

No they loving don't rofl. Always buy nades.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Nah

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

perfect grenades take a bit of foresight, ands ometimes you have to throw them like you would prefire around a corner so you dont get shot

molotovs are the most like this. using them to block off an area for a few seconds is kind of dumb, but if you can be set up to throw one just as flashes come in for a bomb take you can really gently caress up a push

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
You should be able to find a use for a smoke grenade every single round, either holding a site as CT, post plant situation as T or for a much easier retake in almost every situation. Flashes should also be complete no-brainers for risky peeks or for flashing in teammates or letting them peek. Like for a couple of simple example that will pay off one way or another 100% of the time if I'm holding heaven on cache A and hear steps in main I can do the world's easiest popflash into the doorway and let the quad/site guy pick off T's with abandon or if I'm holding close apps on mirage B I can right click the corner and peek into them for info or to catch crawling T's off guard

Half the time you'll find use for grenades mid-round, you won't know you need them until X situation arises and you certainly won't find any use for them if you didn't bother buying any in the first place. If you died with a full set of nades you're doing something wrong

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I can think of no less than three different ways to usually successfully use a smoke grenade while doing a boring old site hold at the beginning of the round on CT side mirage A site.

Four if you count using a finicky one-way smoke as an expensive decoy.

Buy a loving smoke grenade even if you don't have a "plan" in mind.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
My main nade usages include underhanding flahses straight up and peeking with them and using smokes and mollys to stop pushes. Really easy to figure out how to use those and i barely know how to use them

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
My sens is so low I wouldn't be able to look straight up and then back down fast enough to peek.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

The Ferret King posted:

My sens is so low I wouldn't be able to look straight up and then back down fast enough to peek.

very impressive, I didn't even know there was a rank above global

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

you're a trash player then sorry

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Carol Pizzamom posted:

perfect grenades take a bit of foresight, ands ometimes you have to throw them like you would prefire around a corner so you dont get shot

molotovs are the most like this. using them to block off an area for a few seconds is kind of dumb, but if you can be set up to throw one just as flashes come in for a bomb take you can really gently caress up a push

Tbh if you're not just flat out flushing a position out, I've always found mollies more useful when used in conjunction with other grenades, for example, mollying on your side of the smoke if you know they are probably going to push through it anyway. Otherwise they'll just wait it out if they're organised, and unless you've got a fast rotate, that'll be $600 you've just wasted.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

qhat posted:

Tbh if you're not just flat out flushing a position out, I've always found mollies more useful when used in conjunction with other grenades, for example, mollying on your side of the smoke if you know they are probably going to push through it anyway. Otherwise they'll just wait it out if they're organised, and unless you've got a fast rotate, that'll be $600 you've just wasted.

if they do that, then you should be one man up on the bombsite.. and they should be 3 grenades down

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I dunno, I agree with Jeza that they just seem too expensive for what they are worth. I never end up buying them unless I've got a very particular strat in mind or I know exactly what they enemy will do because for less than that money, I can get a smoke and a flashbang which are useful in a far greater variety of situations. After that I'll usually get a HE if I've got any money left over as it is far more reliable for damage output. To me $600 is a lot to spend when it's very dubious I will actually get a return on it.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

I mean, the guys who say it's a waste of money to buy grenades are probably right if you're terrible, but if you try to play the game under the assumption that you'll always be terrible you'll never learn to use grenades

I'm pretty awful but I try to at least make use of two grenades a round unless we're on eco

It's all about learning to use em'. If any of us actually become good at video games, you can bet that those grenades are almost as useful as the upgrade from a fiveseven to a rifle

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
On nade chat, there is one thing that is true. One of the absolute most common things people do at lower ranks is offload all their nades, especially as CT. As a CT your nades should be reactive rather than proactive. Smokes at the start to stop an early rush is obviously fine, but there are players who sit on B in dust2 and throw both their flashes into tunnels at the start of the round. That kind of poo poo is common but really bad practice. Good rules for flashes: use them to peek, use them when you hear footsteps, use them when other team flashes you. Wasting them preemptively is dumb.

Also crossing mid d2, people should learn to use an HE instead of a smoke. It works just as well, and saving your smoke for b tunns is more relevant.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mcvey posted:

Might want to check your settings then because they go out a lot.

I see announcements every single day I am at my computer, so I can confirm this.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Jeza posted:

Smokes at the start to stop an early rush is obviously fine

This depends on the map to be honest, A-site mirage and B-site d2 it's good because the Ts can reach the entrance really quick. With maps like inferno though, you can usually get in position and wait for a bit listening for movement, and then smoke 10-20 seconds later if you hear nothing, or just not smoking at all if there is activity around the other site. In general there are no hard and fast rules of nade usage, just always ask yourself "why am I throwing this nade? Am I achieving something by this?" and you should be golden.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

That moment you clutch a 1v4 on round 30 to win 16-14 then watch the demo and realize if you weren't playing against terrible people 3 of the 4 people you killed should have got you first

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fateo McMurray posted:

That moment you clutch a 1v4 on round 30 to win 16-14 then watch the demo and realize if you weren't playing against terrible people 3 of the 4 people you killed should have got you first

We are all terrible and constantly being saved by the RNG.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I mean dude 3 saw me long before I saw him and switched to a molly before running at me to try and burn me I guess? Had he just shot at me with his bullet flinger instead of trying to go for the sick game ending molly we might have tied.

last round here: steam://rungame/730/76561202255233023/+csgo_download_match%20CSGO-2bccR-F5jPm-Z5D9R-55hQ6-meAtG

also hilarious how everyone starts going gg in chat when they realize it's 1v4

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
nades are fun, mollies are also awesome and useful even at my garbage MG2 rank, and i'm really bad at this game

smoking off lower A mirage and throwing a molly right in front of tetris never gets old as people feebly push through the smoke to their death

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Sure they do. You can't just throw them anywhere. You have to think about where you want to land. That's thought and planning, even if it's only planning 5 seconds before you throw the nade.

That's 5 seconds planning too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The rule is that you buy HE grenades all the time until the one round you don't and then the bomb is ticking down and it's 1 on 1 and you both have 10 health and you know he's just around the corner waiting.

• Locked thread