Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, is OnePunchMan's gimmick like a magic thing, where he beats anything with one punch because that's just the way the universe works, or is he just supposed to be such a badass that he's never needed more than one punch, and it's still theoretically possible for him to have to punch someone twice if he meets someone tough enough?

This is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, is OnePunchMan's gimmick like a magic thing, where he beats anything with one punch because that's just the way the universe works, or is he just supposed to be such a badass that he's never needed more than one punch, and it's still theoretically possible for him to have to punch someone twice if he meets someone tough enough?

This is important.

It's the latter. The joke is that he is hilariously absurdly ridiculously strong but it never matters because nothing can challenge him and his origin story is "pushups, situps and plenty of juice."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It's the latter. The joke is that he is hilariously absurdly ridiculously strong but it never matters because nothing can challenge him and his origin story is "pushups, situps and plenty of juice."

Rad. I keep hearing people talk about that show, should probably get into it one of these days.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The anime to date is great and both the manga version and original webcomic version are fully translated and pretty short overall so it's worth. It's fantastic.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
We don't actually know where Saitama's strength comes from, but it is one of those things that will be incredibly unsatisfying to actually know and would actually go better if unanswered forever.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

We don't actually know where Saitama's strength comes from, but it is one of those things that will be incredibly unsatisfying to actually know and would actually go better if unanswered forever.

He did answer it though? 100 push-ups/sit-ups/etc + 10 km run for 3 years

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Parrotine posted:

He did answer it though? 100 push-ups/sit-ups/etc + 10 km run for 3 years

That is all he did, but even Genos says later that master doesn't know the source of his own powers. Just that one day he woke up bald and he had become strong.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That's just Genos trying to be logical, because he thinks his universe works on logic.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That is why I don't think it ought to be given a real reason.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The reason was already shown.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If it's not the real reason, it'll suck big time.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

expected chichi to be much worse this ep thanks to peeps complaining about her in this thread but it wasn't that bad at all. chichi's always been a controlling mom and I think she just needs time to get used to gohan being a dad and her being a grandma

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Are Bulma and Krillin directly talking about General Blue being gay in the original Japanese? I have to wonder if Krillin's line in this translation is some attempt to cover up the, uh, fairly homophobic depiction of Blue as a character.

I dunno about the original line but in the spanish translation he says "I didn't know there were gay guys in the Red Ribbon army".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ImpAtom posted:

So it's literally an entire show of the Z fighters trying not to nuke the strength testers/other competitors at the budokai in the buu saga.

Awesome.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mordaedil posted:

That is all he did, but even Genos says later that master doesn't know the source of his own powers. Just that one day he woke up bald and he had become strong.

The webcomic has gone into it briefly, but the manga hasn't reached that part.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
One martial artist character theorizes Saitama is a Buddha. But that's most likely bullshit, and it really is the juice.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Enourmo posted:

So it's literally an entire show of the Z fighters trying not to nuke the strength testers/other competitors at the budokai in the buu saga.

Awesome.

it's more like after the entire freeza build-up goku brained him with one punch

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

VanSandman posted:

One martial artist character theorizes Saitama is a Buddha. But that's most likely bullshit, and it really is the juice.

Maybe. I was more referring to the scientist from the house of evolution's explanation when he was attacked by Zombieman and had to explain who blew up his hideout. Possibly bullshit too.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Spiritus Nox posted:

Rad. I keep hearing people talk about that show, should probably get into it one of these days.

Half of the entertainment comes from the other heroes, not just Saitama showing up to blow a hole in someone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Enourmo posted:

Awesome.

Sort of. He has a supporting cast who are of a lower power level and it actually allows for some legitimately great (if often hilarious) fights, at least in the manga.It's just that at the end of the day you've got One Punch Man.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Enourmo posted:

Awesome.

It is entirely awesome the first 5 episodes of the anime are out on hulu for free, watch em and you will be amazed.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Goku hides from his wife behind his youngest son.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

I think you are reading into it too much.

OPM is set in a universe where, for example, you can turn into a giant crab monster just from eating too much crab. There isn't more to the logic than that, it's just how things are.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Parrotine posted:

OPM is set in a universe where, for example, you can turn into a giant crab monster just from eating too much crab. There isn't more to the logic than that, it's just how things are.

instead of a crab monster, Saitama is a Hero Monster.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kild posted:

instead of a crab monster, Saitama is a Hero Monster.

Not really. They kind of had a scene in the webcomic where they explain that Saitama's ability specifically are not like that. The scientist mentions that all heroes and monsters are similar: they become obsessed with one thing so much that they transform. Or they are genetically enhanced and/or are a different species. Saitama is made clear to be none of the above.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I didn't think it was very good, they're trying way too hard to be smart, and to callback to earlier gags instead of just being independently funny.

The Goku punch was amazing though, everything about that gag was hilarious

I dunno, the funny stuff that is a reference is still funny even if you don't get the references. So long as you have some knowledge of Dragonball before hand.

Like The Androids number count being wrong again, Piccolo save me. Etc etc

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This movie at least finally delivered on referencing the very best abridged DBZ series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwj91-uHDa8

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Ninth Layer posted:

This movie at least finally delivered on referencing the very best abridged DBZ series.

FUN FACT: The guy that voices Kami in DBZA is actually the dude that did WeeklyTubeShow back in the day.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Remix is one of the funniest dudes

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Raxivace posted:

FUN FACT: The guy that voices Kami in DBZA is actually the dude that did WeeklyTubeShow back in the day.

I've been waiting ages for them to drop a TubeShow reference, especially with RemixSprites as 16.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Baal posted:

Remix is one of the funniest dudes

I just watched his two clips from Black Lagoon and now I wish he had a whole series of them

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

dub of the north star was too good for this hosed up world

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

I dunno, the funny stuff that is a reference is still funny even if you don't get the references. So long as you have some knowledge of Dragonball before hand.

Like The Androids number count being wrong again, Piccolo save me. Etc etc

That's just it, I watch it with friends who don't necessarily catch every episode and know a whole lot about Dragon Ball, so those jokes get a whole lot more awkward when I'm the only one finding them funny.

E: honestly "Piccolo save me" wasn't particularly funny

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Parrotine posted:

My reading into it is that explaining it would kill the joke. That's it.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

'green dick is betta than blue dick OH SHI-'

It's perfect :allears:

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
The Goku in DBZA is pretty much never funny.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

sharktamer posted:

DBZA is pretty much never funny.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

sharktamer posted:

The Goku in DBZA is pretty much never funny.

That's because he's accurate to what Goku is. Which is sort of not really funny. It's a hard character to make funny.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The Goku-vision was funny :goku:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
DBZA Goku'd humour comes mostly from how the rest of the cast react to him.

Most obviously with Gohan being increasingly fed up with his dad's poo poo.

• Locked thread