Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Izalith plays like the level designer left his workstation unlocked and his five-year-old nephew decided to make a level. It's "baby's first doom level" where baby filled a room with lava and cyberdemons, except instead of cyberdemons it's an unfinished enemy that they decided to put in the game anyway and the lava's lighting effects make it so there's orange poo poo smeared all over your screen at all times. That's straight incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
this is sort of a derail but i just got the idea if anor londo was named based on the phrase/description "honor land" filtered through the Japanese romaji (foreign words spelled out phonetically in their set of phonemes) It would basically come out as "ano lando" in katakana. just a theory but it makes some sense. ive always loved the name. or even a truncated "another land"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

Oh, another fun troll for Dark Souls are the Vagabond monsters.

Did someone say Vagabonds?

Fun Fact: They fire homing missiles.

Bonus: If you recognize where that is. It was my first time there. It spawned all four attempts.

My first mostly blind play through of DS1 was a few months after DS2 came out. But despite the crazy bullshit happening to me like that, I just felt that DS1 let me make more mistakes to stumble my idiot newbie way through than DS2 does, if that makes any sense?

Like, I'd even make it through areas and bosses on the first shot and feel like it was more of a slog because of how careful I had to be to not take more than one hit in a row between heals from the majority of enemies. Like, I'd kill the scorpion lady/snake lady/giant spider on the first try after not dying in their respective areas (and then wiki up items I missed). But I took a million years slowly plodding my way through like the saddest terminator because if I didn't my bad at game self would have died constantly instead.

So many cool things and legit improvements over DS1. Just something about it didn't quite click with me I guess, so I figure that's an issue on my end.

Section Z has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Oct 23, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Section Z posted:

So many cool things and legit improvements over DS1. Just something about it didn't quite click with me I guess, so I figure that's an issue on my end.

:can:

Dark Souls 2 had noticably worse enemy, level, and encounter design. It also pulls a LOT of unfair dick moves on you. For instance, in the enhanced re-release version, there's a chest in one zone that has a latch on it (in DS2 you tell the difference between regular chests and mimics because regular chests do not have latches), and it's conveniently sitting in an oil pit. So you shoot a fire arrow at it or give it a big smack, and... the chest crumbles, permanently destroying the fairly rare item inside it. For some reason this one chest is the only chest in the series that looks like a mimic and isn't.

Kite Pride Worldwide has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Oct 23, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Alabaster White posted:

:can:

Dark Souls 2 had noticably worse enemy, level, and encounter design. It also pulls a LOT of unfair dick moves on you. For instance, in the enhanced re-release version, there's a chest in one zone that has a latch on it (in DS2 you tell the difference between regular chests and mimics because regular chests do not have latches), and it's conveniently sitting in an oil pit. So you shoot a fire arrow at it or give it a big smack, and... the chest crumbles, permanently destroying the fairly rare item inside it. For some reason this one chest is the only chest in the series that looks like a mimic and isn't.

Yeah, I know it's a touchy subject. But I figure since I'm able to actually filter it through "But I'm not what you would call :airquote: 'good' at Dark Souls" it lets me help pick out what felt a bit off, and what felt like "Well that was me being a complete fuckup, AGAIN.". Without just blanket stating "Ugh this game is so bad because I don't like it as much amiright?"

Oh lordy lord I am so glad I googled up how I frames work in DS2. I picked Warrior Start like before, and in DS2 the way Dodge frames work, Warrior start has less I Frames than a Fat roll from DS1 :doh: Things got a lot more forgiving after I upped my Agility to not have I frames literally worse than is possible in DS1 even when naked flipping.

Gotcha dick moves are gimmicks you can learn from and not fall for again just through natural gameplay, even if still a bitch when it's your first run through and you loose out on a cool chest item. (I am amazed I survived falling into the pit of basilisks in the woods in DS2).

Stuff like the above "you basically have to google your core game mechanics" on the other hand, I get much more butthurt over.

EDIT: That old durability bug can get hosed though. I literally bashed every wall and swung multiple times through corpses no problem with smaller weapons, like when I went on a rampage through earthen keep with a the same mace the whole time (was pretty low durability by the time I beat the boss though).

But the second I picked up big fun weapons like large clubs, they may as well have been made of balsa wood. First try against skeleton lords my large club exploded while there were some bonewheels left to clear. Second try, I barely lost any durability form my Mace, which had less max durability anyways. "Well just be more careful with your swings!" Bitch, I'm literally killing multiple enemies with a single swing, I'd have to kill them without swinging at all to be more efficient :argh:

This brings the post on topic because when they didn't fix the durability bug when they released sins of the scholar, the devs tried to pass it off as "Oh, that's a Feature".

Section Z has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Oct 23, 2015

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Speaking of Dark Souls... I ran into a weird bug/feature where after I beat O&S, summon signs stopped showing up. Not just for other players but for NPCs as well. And I went and leveled up in the Chaos Servant covenant and killed the Sunlight Maggot, but then Solaire never left the sunlight altar.

E: also, gently caress Gwyn. I got all the way up to that last boss without having to parry a goddamn thing but then that seemed to be just about the only way to kill him, so I was never able to finish the game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dabir posted:

Crystal Caves which are mostly invisible walkways over bottomless pits. Yes you can technically see where the paths are because of the very faint, gentle snowfall effect over them, but gently caress you for bringing that up, it's useless and so are you.
It's also worth noting that the platforms aren't perfectly flat. They're, well, crystals. So if you step on one of the slanted faces you can just get rocketed into the abyss without ever knowing what you did wrong. :allears: Personally I still hate Blight Town. Not for the platforming, which while dubious is still something that keeps you engaged. But for the swamp. There are ways to mitigate poison damage, sure. But there's no way to avoid having to slog through a huge rear end poison swamp, even using that one ring that makes it less bad you still walk slower unless you go in naked. :argh: the mosquitos also used to be infinite.

many johnnys posted:

Izalith plays like the level designer left his workstation unlocked and his five-year-old nephew decided to make a level. It's "baby's first doom level" where baby filled a room with lava and cyberdemons, except instead of cyberdemons it's an unfinished enemy that they decided to put in the game anyway and the lava's lighting effects make it so there's orange poo poo smeared all over your screen at all times. That's straight incompetence.
Given the boss of the area, I prefer to think whoever designed it just had a nasty breakup or something and wanted to vent all of their angry and frustration at the world onto the player.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Game designers don't have relationships.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Speaking of Dark Souls... I ran into a weird bug/feature where after I beat O&S, summon signs stopped showing up. Not just for other players but for NPCs as well. And I went and leveled up in the Chaos Servant covenant and killed the Sunlight Maggot, but then Solaire never left the sunlight altar.

E: also, gently caress Gwyn. I got all the way up to that last boss without having to parry a goddamn thing but then that seemed to be just about the only way to kill him, so I was never able to finish the game.
He's pretty loving tough if you don't parry him, but it's certainly doable (I did). You need a good shield to weather his normal attacks and a rock you can dance around so you have time to recover some Stamina. Be incredibly patient and wait until he does his grab attack (don't try to block that, circle around the rock). Then you can hit him once or even twice depending on how fast your weapon is. He might leave you other obvious opportunities to attack, but the grab is the safest. It'll take a while and require a lot of concentration, but it's how I beat him.
Though on my recent playthrough I discovered that it's not actually that hard to parry things. People like to tout it as the skill of kings :smug:, but if you can time your window of attack around enemies' flailings already, you can also parry them. The big troll here is from the community: it's hyped up as this super-hard technique that's for masters and man you can trivialize the game with it...if you GIT GUD SCRUB HAHAHAHA, but it's actually a semi-generous single button press which is purely reflex, no memorization of patterns or whatever.

By the way, to expand on the curse enemies troll from before: they are in the Depths, which is basically a sewer system with narrow passages that contain enemies and items. Surprisingly easy to navigate and there are not even that many enemies. There are, however, rats that run away which you will feel obligated to chase, of course. And items tantalizingly there...on the other side of pits hidden by the water flow.
Those won't kill you.
But the first one I fell through (before I knew they were there) dumped me in-between three of the cursing fuckers. So it would actually be better if you just died from the fall damage, as I soon discovered. What a beautiful dick move.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

but it's actually a semi-generous single button press which is purely reflex, no memorization of patterns or whatever.
Then they went and completely changed it in 2.

Simply Simon posted:

they are in the Depths
There's also the tree. which is predictably a huge rear end tree only instead of climbing up, you scale down the branches and if the platforming doesn't kill you then there's a fairly good shot you'll die when you fall right into a pile of like four or five of the gassy bastards and they curse you.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I try to play ds every now and then, get to either blight town or Sens fortress and just think "gently caress it". Sotfs was an absolute train wreck I gave roughly an hour of my time before uninstalling it and wiping it from my mind forever.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Section Z posted:

This brings the post on topic because when they didn't fix the durability bug when they released sins of the scholar, the devs tried to pass it off as "Oh, that's a Feature".

Which they patched out now too.

But not before making sure that anyone that used the fanmade patch that fixed that bug prior to their offical fix got their Steam accounts permanently and irreversably softbanned from online play.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Destiny's hidden exotic sniper Black Spindle is a troll that keeps on trolling.

To start, the gun appeared out of nowhere as a reward for a secret mission that someone literally stumbled upon during one of the regular daily heroic mission. It required rushing through the mission without the whole team dying, then taking a side path that was formerly closed. A 10 minute timer would start, and the team had to kill a large amount of enemies and a boss. This was practically impossible because of the enemy level, and on top of that it required a strategy that was opposite of everything the game had taught players.
The gun dropped at 310 attack, which was better than anything else in the game. It also came out of the Kiosk, a place to get duplicates of exotics you've already found, at 300. The game has something called infusion, which allows you to take a higher leveled piece of gear and raise up the level of a lower leveled one. The stats of this gun meant you could raise your other gear higher much quicker. Bungie came out and announced that the attack was a bug, which set off the community even more. People spent the entire day doing the mission over and over, and still couldn't get it.

A week goes by and the mission comes around again, and the same rush happens. By now Bungie has clarified that they'll be dropping the gun's attack down by 20, so the version you get from the mission will be 290, the one you get from the kiosks after would go down to 280. BUT, if you infused it into a different weapon, you'd get to keep the upgraded other gun. There was no date for the fix, and people started to try to come up with "loopholes" such as infusing a kiosk spindle with the 310 one. Remember that.

Time goes by, and Bungie finally announces the Black Spindle fix is coming. There's one more chance to get it, and a few people do. The patch drops, and all of a sudden people are pissed. The loopholes they came up with didn't actually work, and that 308 spindle they wasted the one 310 infusion they had on was now 288. Another group starts complaining, this one the people who assumed Bungie had been lying about the fix and never infused the gun into something else. But all the people who listened to Bungie and infused it into a different weapon still had their stronger gun, and the forums erupted into even more stupidity.

In the end, a gun that for a while was the most powerful weapon in the game was now just pretty good, and all the people who thought they could keep their OP gun got extra screwed. The people who assumed Bungie was lying also got trolled, and in the end there was a third, longer term troll: the gun is currently outpaced by lots of easily acquirable guns, but it was the daily mission today and me, along with thousands of players, spent hours and hours attempting it. I got it after a total of around 15 hours over the multiple days, but there are people that still don't have it and will spend 10 hours next week or whenever trying again for something that's lost even more stat value.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Soul Reaver posted:

But not before making sure that anyone that used the fanmade patch that fixed that bug prior to their offical fix got their Steam accounts permanently and irreversably softbanned from online play.

Wasn't that part an accident?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

pfs Write posted:

this is sort of a derail but i just got the idea if anor londo was named based on the phrase/description "honor land" filtered through the Japanese romaji (foreign words spelled out phonetically in their set of phonemes) It would basically come out as "ano lando" in katakana. just a theory but it makes some sense. ive always loved the name. or even a truncated "another land"

That's a thought, but a quick google shows that it's "Anooru Rondo".

many johnnys posted:

except instead of wizarddemons it's an unfinished enemy that they decided to put in the game anyway

Demonic Statues aren't unfinished, they obey the same rules as a player using Chameleon.

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 08:00 on Nov 3, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Wasn't that part an accident?

No. You might be thinking of when dark souls 1's basically mandatory DSfix mod was banned, which turned out to be a mistake and was reversed. In dark souls 2 you could and can still get silently and arbitrarily softbanned for using practically any outside software with the game, including harmless graphics injectors like sweetFX. The only way to know for sure if you've been softbanned is to email somebody at namco about it, which is obviously no good because then you're inviting scrutiny and it has the implication of "why would they be asking if they haven't done anything wrong."

Resident turbohacker tallgeese had some details on it awhile back in the PC thread, and I don't remember the specifics but apparently the way it works means that a player using super hacks to ruin other players' saves can get off scot free while a player using a mod to specifically block those hackers will get softbanned for doing so. From software has no goddamn idea what to do about mods and cheaters, but one way or another they've somehow engineered a system that hurts harmless mod-users more than hackers.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's a thought, but a quick google shows that it's "Anooru Rondo".

Demonic Statues aren't unfinished, they obey the same rules as a player using Chameleon.

I think he means the big dragon butts and legs in the lava area.

I mean really it's a bunch of legs. There's like 50 of them, they're huge, and they attack by jumping around and stomping on poo poo. Also the floor is lava. The only reasonable way to deal with them... is to climb up a tower, shoot them with arrows and then hope they stomp each other to death while trying to get you, but there's no actual reward or reason to do this so really just ignore them and just go for the exit. But apparently in early versions of the game they had insane aggro range so you'd walk in, get blinded by the absurd bloom on all the lava, and then get stomped.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mazerunner posted:

I think he means the big dragon butts and legs in the lava area.

If he means the dragon butts, then he legitimately believes the developers designed every enemy starting with the rearmost point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The dragon butts are literally dragon butts. They're the rear end-end of those dragon zombies you fight elsewhere. In the painted world you can attack the one that dragon leaves behind and it gets up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nuebot posted:

The dragon butts are literally dragon butts. They're the rear end-end of those dragon zombies you fight elsewhere. In the painted world you can attack the one that dragon leaves behind and it gets up.

Which is probably a bug due to them being hastily rigged to move around so they could be reused for the infinite plane of dragon butts. It was supposed to just lie there and block your way, attacking it clears a shortcut to the end of the area.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

My favorite game dev troll:

Eiger from Shadowrun : Dragonfall.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

mitochondritom posted:

Amazing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dabir posted:

Which is probably a bug due to them being hastily rigged to move around so they could be reused for the infinite plane of dragon butts. It was supposed to just lie there and block your way, attacking it clears a shortcut to the end of the area.

I think it's pretty intentional considering the Painted World was the first area of the game they made, they probably designed it so you could fight that tough enemy and unlock a neat shortcut (it almost always falls to its death) when it looks like a static object and then figured since they didn't use it anywhere else, to paste it in the land of cut and paste along with the capra demon and taurus demon.

Just to try an rationalize for one second, the first dragon you typically fight is the one near blight town/new londo and its rear end falls into the hole. The hole probably leads down to blight town, or possibly even Izalith. Which is where all the other dragon asses are. So maybe they just fell down there :shrug: it's a poo poo zone full of rear end regardless. So here's a neat little thing about the painted world, the area you fight the boss in has code for a fall-away floor like the Asylum does and a beta spawn point for Nito.

Since that wasn't a troll, how about Bao-Dur in KOTOR2. You see, most of your non-droid party members can be turned into Jedi. Most of them have really easy to get triggers like "talking to them" or "not murdering them". But not bao-dur. To get enough influence points with him you have to have him along for very specific points in the game, of which there are only eight total and no real way to tell when they're about to happen until it's too late. Even worse is that he's a poo poo party member and a useless jedi.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

mitochondritom posted:

I don't get it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

I don't get it.

She's literally a troll.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I think it's pretty intentional considering the Painted World was the first area of the game they made, they probably designed it so you could fight that tough enemy and unlock a neat shortcut (it almost always falls to its death) when it looks like a static object and then figured since they didn't use it anywhere else, to paste it in the land of cut and paste along with the capra demon and taurus demon.

Just to try an rationalize for one second, the first dragon you typically fight is the one near blight town/new londo and its rear end falls into the hole. The hole probably leads down to blight town, or possibly even Izalith. Which is where all the other dragon asses are. So maybe they just fell down there :shrug: it's a poo poo zone full of rear end regardless. So here's a neat little thing about the painted world, the area you fight the boss in has code for a fall-away floor like the Asylum does and a beta spawn point for Nito.

Since that wasn't a troll, how about Bao-Dur in KOTOR2. You see, most of your non-droid party members can be turned into Jedi. Most of them have really easy to get triggers like "talking to them" or "not murdering them". But not bao-dur. To get enough influence points with him you have to have him along for very specific points in the game, of which there are only eight total and no real way to tell when they're about to happen until it's too late. Even worse is that he's a poo poo party member and a useless jedi.

But it's not an enemy in Painted World, it's supposed to be static. It doesn't fight you, you can't kill it, it just stands up if you jump-attack it and doesn't react to anything else you do.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Lizard Wizard posted:

If he means the dragon butts, then he legitimately believes the developers designed every enemy starting with the rearmost point.

Every enemy? No, just the dino butt.

He only appears in the two places - pasted all over the place in eye-bleed Izalith (where they rampage around at stupid range, and if you hide in a building they kill each other with their own attacks) and in the Painted World. The latter, as discussed, is an inanimate obstacle that for some reason "resets" when you hit it with a jump attack and reverts to its default standing animation. It's still unkillable and programmed not to attack, but when you reset its stance you can pass under it without solving the rest of the stage. It's glitchy and unfinished and stands in contrast to pretty much every other enemy in the game.

many johnnys has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Nov 3, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Perestroika posted:

She's literally a troll.

Wow, I couldn't tell.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hearthstone is different from the majority of TCGs in that you get a roster of cards for free right out of the gate. In fairness, quite a few of the Basic cards are actually really good and slot into almost any deck you'd make with a given class, but... A fair amount of them really do suck. One of the worst is Magma Rager, a 3-mana minion with 5 attack (pretty good for that cost)... And 1 health (so it dies to ANYTHING that hits it). In other words, only the newest of the new would ever play it.

Throughout the game's life, one of the big concerns among detractors was that Blizzard would start making cards in their paid expansion packs "strictly better" than ones from the free Basic set. That fear was realized when the latest expansion brought us... Ice Rager, a 3-mana 5/2.

Take one guess how much it's played.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

many johnnys posted:

Every enemy? No, just the dino butt.

He only appears in the two places - pasted all over the place in eye-bleed Izalith (where they rampage around at stupid range, and if you hide in a building they kill each other with their own attacks) and in the Painted World. The latter, as discussed, is an inanimate obstacle that for some reason "resets" when you hit it with a jump attack and reverts to its default standing animation. It's still unkillable and programmed not to attack, but when you reset its stance you can pass under it without solving the rest of the stage. It's glitchy and unfinished and stands in contrast to pretty much every other enemy in the game.

The dragon butts are working as intended, good sir. :colbert:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

But apparently in early versions of the game they had insane aggro range so you'd walk in, get blinded by the absurd bloom on all the lava, and then get stomped.

Original Dragon Butts were the worst.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I don't pay attention to anything Dark Souls. People obsess over that game, and it's fine, but it's just not for me. So I quickly skim past when it's mentioned in the thread. For all I know, all this talk of Dragon Butts could be an in-joke to throw off all of us non-players. :yosbutt:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not a joke.

That's literally the back half of a zombie dragon. The front halves are found elsewhere in the game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The question now is why are there enemies that are just the asses of dragons? From a development standpoint, not "because they're zombies."

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

haveblue posted:

It's not a joke.

That's literally the back half of a zombie dragon. The front halves are found elsewhere in the game.

The one in Painted World is literally found behind its front half.

Regalingualius posted:

The question now is why are there enemies that are just the asses of dragons? From a development standpoint, not "because they're zombies."

Maybe they came up with the design for the undead front halves first?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

It may have been just a rumor, but I heard something about them being one big zombie dragon at first, and as you fight against it the halves separate and fight you apart from each other. There's nothing like that in the game though, so either they couldn't get it to work or it's just some fake thing I heard. Can't think of any other reasons there's be a zombie butt in the game though.

The attacks are a tail swipe and a butt-stomp. They are so huge that if you hide in one of the buildings in the lava, a bunch of them will crowd around and try (and fail) to attack you, killing each instead. The only other one in the game was mentioned earlier, and that's the glitched one.

The front half zombie dragon is a neat monster that I like. :)

many johnnys has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Nov 3, 2015

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Regalingualius posted:

From a development standpoint, they probably ran out of time and/or money while making Lost Izalith and thought "poo poo quick someone find something suitably demon-looking in our assets that we can turn into an enemy for this area ok that'll do".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Because izalith was a bad area made with minimal effort.

Imagine this copy and pasted like twenty times, and then you fight a tree.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gently caress that tree by the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Bed of Chaos was the best boss fight in that game :colbert: But I only played the game later after they'd apparently patched it. Still, the fact that things carried over after you died was an amazing use of Dark Souls' "you're gonna die a lot" nature.

• Locked thread