Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Meowbot posted:

back in 1994 before a lot of people were born I played a little game called "Daggerfall" this demo came out on a "PC Gamer" CD disc (bundled with the magazine, a sick 150ish page conglomeration of bad rear end images, stories, and information that would make the 2015 internet blush!)...

It was probably in the fall or maybe it was Christmas, but I still remember the hours upon hours I would pour into this world. It was HUGE. The size of daggerfall was unreal and even in the demo you could explore a massive chunk of it. The purpose and content of the demo was pretty limited but it was all procedurally generated (before that word even existed perhaps?) and you could do so much like kill all the guards, kill all the civilians, get caught by guards, be in jail (I think you could be in jail?). You could be an archer and sneak on top of houses, kill people while they slept, kill guards from the rooftops. Running on top of houses in 1994 killing people? Umm, the best RPG ever.

This game was loving awesome. I still have memories of looking out the window and seeing snow on the ground and sun shine as I tromped through this world finding bears, elves, sometimes dead civilians and thugs all over the place. I still have NO idea what I ever accomplished but I remember this was m y favorite demo when I was younger.

What the gently caress happened Bethesda?

I just miss demos :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

NecroMonster posted:

there are perks that will let you stay drunk and stoned 100% of the time forever in this game as you shuffle from place to place stuffing everything you can see into your pockets but i guess if the game isn't photo-realistic who cares

This just makes me want Better Living Thru Chems in Fallout 4. Just imagine, being so loving high on everything, you feel like you're in a different game

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Fergus posted:

You got a problem, ese!?

No, you're right. We should be thinking about how Bethesda could have committed hara-kiri instead of making Fallout 4.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

frajaq posted:

I just miss demos :smith:

They still exist, only they are are called betas and are only available for a brief time.

Kinda like how cheat codes are now microtransactions.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Effectronica posted:

No, you're right. We should be thinking about how Bethesda could have committed hara-kiri instead of making Fallout 4.

Well it's not too late for them to do it :thumbsup:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

oh no i spent some of my disposable income on a luxury product and with only scraps of information ive decided that the product is complete and utter trash and i want my money back!!!!

*drops 200 bucks on a tf2 hat without a second thought*

What's wrong with wanting your money back if you don't like something?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The people in that hypothetical have not physically attempted to like the thing yet. RIP Demos.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

MoaM posted:

The people in that hypothetical have not physically attempted to like the thing yet. RIP Demos.

*face distorts like I'm lifting 350 lbs. with each foot and 400 with each hand* Just... a... little more... and I'll like Elder Scrolls Online...

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

MoaM posted:

They think they won't like it based on the information they now have. I don't see the issue.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SplitSoul posted:

I'd be fine with Dogmeat plummeting to the ground from high places if he immediately ragdolled and yelped the whole way down.

Edit: Somebody mod in the Goofy holler.

Fallout 4's Mo Cap Technology Promises Advanced Animations

quote:

...but long-time fans will be the first to admit that Bethesda's reputation for quality animations has been historically lacking. And yet the "Mo Cap" technology seeks to break this reputation, "reducing skeletal animations to their most basic components and re-smelting them into solid gold" as Fallout 4's chief animator put it.

"We've been working closer than ever with other parts of the development team [on Fallout 4]. It used to be that we'd receive compiled models to animate without a full understanding of how they would be used--you'd just show up in the morning and start rigging skeletons based on how you thought they looked. Recently, though, a lot of the systems have been working in concert.

"For instance, we used an actual dog for Dogmeat's animations...but when he wouldn't cooperate with the Mo Cap system, Todd insisted that we 'just roll with it' and give the scripting pod whatever we ended up with. 'It's more realistic if the dog actually acts like an animal.' So the dog ran around the studio for an hour and we passed the entire capture file on to the other team. They ended up programming the character's AI based on these animations, which is why people have been commenting that the dog has such an amazing personality and is incredibly realistic."

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

MoaM posted:

i didnt know you had to attempt to like something to like it

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Effectronica posted:

*face distorts like I'm lifting 350 lbs. with each foot and 400 with each hand* Just... a... little more... and I'll like Elder Scrolls Online...

tbh if it was F2P I would probably be playing it

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibL32QiVsDs

flamethrower action!

frajaq fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 3, 2015

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
If I blindly bought a product that didn't exist yet and then eventually saw it in its finished state and really didn't like what I saw, I'd try to get my money back. But apparently that's a laughable opinion and I should just buy the Product and force myself to try and like it regardless.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Has anyone been able to ascertain from leaks whether there are non-saved-up criticals and/or sneak criticals in the game?

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Awesome! The endless ghoul filled metro tunnels were my favorite part about Fallout 3. Glad Bethesda listened to its fans and brought it back.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Awesome! The endless ghoul filled metro tunnels were my favorite part about Fallout 3. Glad Bethesda listened to its fans and brought it back.

SPEAKING OF GHOULS, fuckin' Brotherhood of Steel now hates ghouls for reasons unknown.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

huh

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

widespread posted:

SPEAKING OF GHOULS, fuckin' Brotherhood of Steel now hates ghouls for reasons unknown.

Because they're just generic bad guys now.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

There's another loading screen that helpfully informs you people use bottlecaps for currency in the post apocalyptic future. Who knew!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's a CGI video though, lmao

boy I pet that poster is embarrassed!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Yes! Yessssss! Thank Jesus, "radiation weapons" was as dumb as I was expecting!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

widespread posted:

I'm pretty sure the West Coast BoS had a hate-boner for Mutants and Ghouls, too

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler

The lifeless fuckin' faces man. Dead-eyed stares and mumbling mouths. They had years to quietly work on this. How does this happen?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

I'm pretty sure the West Coast BoS had a hate-boner for Mutants and Ghouls, too

Yeah, but they had a boner for places ghouls were in. Plus they had the Master to deal with.

The gently caress did the East Coast BoS have that ghouls had first.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Love that guys dead-eyed stare. I'm pretty excited to see how bad faces can get, seeing as each revealed one is worse then the last.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

there are perks that will let you stay drunk and stoned 100% of the time forever in this game as you shuffle from place to place stuffing everything you can see into your pockets but i guess if the game isn't photo-realistic who cares

This is fantastic actually. Could role play as a Hunter S or Rick Sanchez.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
So let me get this straight: every time you get experience now, including every time something dies, it makes a CHA-CHING sound? lol.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
It's hilarious, the game just keeps looking better and better and goons pretend it's poo poo. Maybe you guys would like The Order: 1886, that's a lovely game so you would love that.

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

So let me get this straight: every time you get experience now, including every time something dies, it makes a CHA-CHING sound? lol.

That's how it worked in Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Yaos posted:

That's how it worked in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. You would know that if you actually played them.

Nope

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Yaos posted:

It's hilarious, the game just keeps looking better and better and goons pretend it's poo poo.

I want to see the stuff you're looking at, because all the leaked footage looks pretty disappointing to me

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Yaos posted:

That is most definitely not how it worked in New Vegas. Also nice edit.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The voice acting in that clip isnt one of the 3 standard Bethesda guys so yay for that. Also the Brotherhood didn't like ghouls in Fallout 3 either, the ghoul outside Underworld complains that the Brotherhood takes potshots at them while going after Super Mutants because they think they are the same thing.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I actually can't believe they're going to have three categories of interchangeable weapons, including one that will be so goddamn stupid it'll make the plot look smart. I'm refusing to acknowledge it.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Another leaked picture for you guys to enjoy. This time it's the garage.

Effectronica posted:

I actually can't believe they're going to have three categories of interchangeable weapons, including one that will be so goddamn stupid it'll make the plot look smart. I'm refusing to acknowledge it.
Why do you hate good ideas so much?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

hah, no fucken way :)

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

It did, but only at the conclusion of an encounter/mission or when a locale was discovered.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
So they didn't spend the money on graphics, animation, story. What did they spend it on? Millions of bucks so Todd can come into a meeting going "hey i thought we could put a scope on a pistol" and his disheartened employees politely clap.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Yaos posted:

It's hilarious, the game just keeps looking better and better and goons pretend it's poo poo. Maybe you guys would like The Order: 1886, that's a lovely game so you would love that.

you, forums poster yaos, have hair growing out of the tip of your penis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Okay so after re-reading the SPECIAL descriptions I'm pretty sure there are no criticals outside of VATS, nor random ones. The Luck description pretty explicitly says it just fills your 'crit bar' faster, and AFAIK this bar can only be used in side VATS.

• Locked thread