Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Beams don't really work like that in gundam so Im guessing fragmentation shells with bright coloration so you can actually, like, see them, in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

Beams don't really work like that in gundam so Im guessing fragmentation shells with bright coloration so you can actually, like, see them, in space.

How do you mean? I'm perfectly happy to concede if I'm wrong, but how is that not how beams work?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You can't store a beam shot in a round like that, at least as far as UC goes. You could have a some kind of stored charge, like mega particles trapped in an I-field, but that would be more of an explosion than a directional blast like that puts off. Don't make me dork out this hard son

e: to clarify if it is beams, the stark jegan has grenades that are equivalent to the GM-79's beam spray gun and that would be badass.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

You can't store a beam shot in a round like that, at least as far as UC goes. You could have a some kind of stored charge, like mega particles trapped in an I-field, but that would be more of an explosion than a directional blast like that puts off. Don't make me dork out this hard son

e: to clarify if it is beams, the stark jegan has grenades that are equivalent to the GM-79's beam spray gun and that would be badass.

Why not? all post-OYW suits have ammo clips for their beam weaponry. All you'd need is a remote triggering device and you could make a beam round like that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah you're right there are the epacks and everything and I could theorize all day but I think the only thing I can say with authority is that I'm pretty sure they're conventional explosives

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

Yeah you're right there are the epacks and everything and I could theorize all day but I think the only thing I can say with authority is that I'm pretty sure they're conventional explosives

They're the same color as beams in the same scene and they make sci-fi noises so i figured they were beams.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
My limited knowledge of Japanese and the stark jegan manual doesn't prove that they're NOT beams so who knows

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mega particle cannon beams are all groady lookin, I just figured it was something like that.

It never entered my mind that it might be a conventional projectile of some sort.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It was a bazooka round, and the same effect was on the missiles. I think it's just like directional projectiles

according to the meticulously updated Gundam Wiki

quote:

Hyper Bazooka

For heavier firepower the Stark Jegan can be equipped with a hyper bazooka that fires 380mm rounds. The Stark Jegan's hyper bazooka's rounds release many small projectiles that cover a large area.

If it was a beam bazooka it'd be called out as such in the manual

e: looked on dalong the manual does mention something about beams in the blurb about the hyper bazooka, and i can't read it, so maybe it has multiple types of rounds? it could also be talking about anti-beam rounds

muike fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 3, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Off topic but I was watching Halo Legends the other day. During each short I kept thinking back to Zeta which I'm going through right now. It's weird, but I think I like the more limited animation from a 1980s show than an OVA. The thing that stuck out to me watching the Halo shorts was how mediocre so much of the animation was. Nothing about it really stood out as being particularly good, and even though it is technically more advanced than the stuff done on Zeta, I find Zeta more appealing to look at.

I think it's in the details. I would much rather prefer a show that does certain aspects of animation excellently than a show that is just overall mediocre. I'm still early, but what I'm most drawn to was how Quattro without a word runs off to the Hangar the moment he hears Kamille has launched in the Mk II. No dialogue, not even focusing the scene on him, just something that happens within a larger picture, and I love it. It's small touches like that that are really appealing to me in a way that a crappy Halo animation is not. Microsoft throws millions of dollars into making super expensive CGI extravaganza cutscenes, but then they half rear end the budget for a Halo anime collection.

Just an observation, not really gundam related but made me think about Zeta.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

IIRC most american media companies don't give a poo poo about the properties they license to be animated for japan. Marvel goes as far as not really wanting it brought over here because it's made for making money in japan, and doesn't reflect their domestic brand.

Given Microsoft can't figure out how to market anything effectively, it doesn't surprise me that what is effectively a Halo commercial isn't top notch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't know if the US is getting it, but Madman Entertainment's announced a G no Reconguista DVD set in Australia. First half of the series gets released in January.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Droyer posted:

They're the same color as beams in the same scene and they make sci-fi noises so i figured they were beams.

Unicorn takes a lot of somewhat inconsistent artistic liberties with its projectile colors. The Unicorn's bog standard normal head vulcans fire glowing blue bullets, which is slightly confusing since the Delta Plus's beam rifle fires glowing blue beams.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

muike posted:

It was a bazooka round, and the same effect was on the missiles. I think it's just like directional projectiles

according to the meticulously updated Gundam Wiki

If it was a beam bazooka it'd be called out as such in the manual

e: looked on dalong the manual does mention something about beams in the blurb about the hyper bazooka, and i can't read it, so maybe it has multiple types of rounds? it could also be talking about anti-beam rounds

That sentence reads something along the lines of 'it fires slowly, but the destructive power of a direct hit vastly outstrips that of a beam weapon'.

e: also immediately after that it says it typically takes 380mm ammunition but will also fire shotgun pellets

Crummelhorn fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 3, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Thank you for the clarification!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't know if the US is getting it, but Madman Entertainment's announced a G no Reconguista DVD set in Australia. First half of the series gets released in January.

Only with subtitles I presume?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

NikkolasKing posted:

I would watch/listen to G-Reco dubbed by Australians. Make this happen, Madman!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

Yup. Most of Madman's dubbed DVDs are rips of the US releases, down to the Funimation-marked trailers :v:.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RIP, nameless Jegan pilot. :( :rip:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Off topic but I was watching Halo Legends the other day. During each short I kept thinking back to Zeta which I'm going through right now. It's weird, but I think I like the more limited animation from a 1980s show than an OVA. The thing that stuck out to me watching the Halo shorts was how mediocre so much of the animation was. Nothing about it really stood out as being particularly good, and even though it is technically more advanced than the stuff done on Zeta, I find Zeta more appealing to look at.

I think it's in the details. I would much rather prefer a show that does certain aspects of animation excellently than a show that is just overall mediocre. I'm still early, but what I'm most drawn to was how Quattro without a word runs off to the Hangar the moment he hears Kamille has launched in the Mk II. No dialogue, not even focusing the scene on him, just something that happens within a larger picture, and I love it. It's small touches like that that are really appealing to me in a way that a crappy Halo animation is not. Microsoft throws millions of dollars into making super expensive CGI extravaganza cutscenes, but then they half rear end the budget for a Halo anime collection.

Just an observation, not really gundam related but made me think about Zeta.

That's a thing Tomino tends to do. G-Reco is very recent and full of little "blink and you miss it" moments in nearly every episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CaptainYesterday posted:

You know, on second thought this actually already exists; Steer's VA is half-Australian :v:.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kanos posted:

Unicorn takes a lot of somewhat inconsistent artistic liberties with its projectile colors. The Unicorn's bog standard normal head vulcans fire glowing blue bullets, which is slightly confusing since the Delta Plus's beam rifle fires glowing blue beams.

That was what I thought of as well. I think the Unicorn is the only thing in Gundam to have colored head vulcans.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CaptainYesterday posted:

You could always just use the Dobson brothers and their Dragonball Z fake aussie accents.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Weird that Kycelia is helmet-off on top, when Hamon and Lalah are helmet-on.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i want them

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Here's more and Zeta:

I'll see if there's any other ones.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Why are both sets missing a card?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Hayato and Frau are such cuties! the Haro/Kikka card is probably my fav

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Haha, I love the little dwarf Degwin.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I found this:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

Why are both sets missing a card?

It's a 3x4 grid and there are 13 cards in each suit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

found this on twitter

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Crummelhorn posted:

That sentence reads something along the lines of 'it fires slowly, but the destructive power of a direct hit vastly outstrips that of a beam weapon'.

e: also immediately after that it says it typically takes 380mm ammunition but will also fire shotgun pellets

Wait what, so the bazooka can also be used as a giant shotgun? ownage.

Unironically upset that Ramba Ral isn't the Jack.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Motto posted:

found this on twitter

That effort was lost in the name of selling thousands of miniature replicas of their war machines.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That pic is 100% correct.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I think war is bad AND robots are cool, personally

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

That pic is 100% correct.

all the posts in the ibo thread about how brutal it is and therefore cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

all the posts in the ibo thread about how brutal it is and therefore cool

To be perfectly fair, though, some of that brutality has been portrayed as cool. The mech fights are savage, visceral things in which giant robots (and not-so-giant robots) are ripped apart with huge and downright evil-looking weaponry, but they're also graceful, dance-like, and soundtracked with stirring Spanish guitar, and the mechanical carnage gives it all a satisfying kick. On the other hand, much of the interpersonal violence is not glamorised in the slightest (see also, basically every time Mikazuki kills/tries to kill someone when he's not in the Barbatos) - it's short, abrupt, doesn't contain so many loving pans over all the sexy murder, and it's not excitingly soundtracked. Near as I can tell, those parts have been reacted to with the appropriate horror by the thread denizens.