Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mr Darcy posted:

Something I've never quite got my head around with the current Elite universe set up. With a well kitted out Asp explorer I could travel 26k light years in about a month of play time which worked out at 1-2 hours on a weekday night and 3-4 hours a day at the weekend. While I imagine anything being used for colonisation wouldn't have half the jump range, I'm honestly curious why there aren't distant colonies scattered all over the Galaxy. I'm sure that the shittiest colony ship must be able to do a thousand or so light years per a day at a minimum, so why there aren't space Mormons building a new colonial life far away from Earth I do not know.

In any sensible (:v:) space game, actual travel times are quite a bit longer than gameplay travel times. Otherwise the galaxy, even ED's galaxy, just feels small and trivial.

Also, Asp Scout?? Not to look a gift ship in the fuel scoop, but we kinda have a lot of Lakon ships. I want me some Z-P space shuttle aesthetics or Core Dynamics star citizen lite...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Strategic Tea posted:

In any sensible (:v:) space game, actual travel times are quite a bit longer than gameplay travel times. Otherwise the galaxy, even ED's galaxy, just feels small and trivial.

Also, Asp Scout?? Not to look a gift ship in the fuel scoop, but we kinda have a lot of Lakon ships. I want me some Z-P space shuttle aesthetics or Core Dynamics star citizen lite...

I really want in-universe lore where the proponents of various ship producers are as vehement as the Apple vs PC or or Microsoft vs Sony fanboys are today.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Well, in-universe the FSD is a relatively recent development IIRC, before that in-system trips took much longer (as seen in previos Elite games).
And we do see some new colonies spring up further out - Sothis for one, or the new CG station.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I wonder if they'll have a major patch that jumps the timeframe and greatly expands the civilization cloud.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I wonder if they'll have a major patch that jumps the timeframe and greatly expands the civilization cloud.

Would there really be much of a point? Pretty much all of inhabited space is interchangeable at the moment, so it seems kind of boring to add more for its own sake. Not that I really expect this kind of thing out of Frontier, but I'd rather they push developed space out in a more "designed" manner so that maybe new systems can have a bit of character or at least in-game events associated with them.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
A few new stations here and there are nice but I agree that making the current bubble feel more alive and interesting is a far better goal. The size of the bubble is big enough anyways. It's a pita to fly your combat ships out across the bubble as it is and don't even mention the fdl.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If there's one thing they don't need to spend time doing, it's increasing the number of completely interchangeable procedurally generated inhabited systems.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I haven't played this for like four months or something. Do you still need to slave like loving idiot to be able to afford anything? Does Frontier still hate the very concept of actually rewarding you for things? Is Powerplay still hosed up beyond belief? Is CQC out for PC? (And is it fun?) Has exploration changed at all in the last few months?

Do you still apply magic invisible retrograde thrusters if you turn off assist and cut power to thrust?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Black Griffon posted:

I haven't played this for like four months or something. Do you still need to slave like loving idiot to be able to afford anything? Does Frontier still hate the very concept of actually rewarding you for things? Is Powerplay still hosed up beyond belief? Is CQC out for PC? (And is it fun?) Has exploration changed at all in the last few months?

Do you still apply magic invisible retrograde thrusters if you turn off assist and cut power to thrust?

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes (Yeah!), No, and yes, the infinite boost bullshit still hasn't been reinstated.

That's one case where I'm happy they went with making better gameplay than :toot: realism :confuoot:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Black Griffon posted:

I haven't played this for like four months or something. Do you still need to slave like loving idiot to be able to afford anything? Does Frontier still hate the very concept of actually rewarding you for things?

I missed the whole Sothis thing and have mostly done mining and CG work lately and I'll be able to afford a Fer-de-Lance soon without selling my current combat ship so I'd say the grind is down. Even the faction rank grind is probably not that bad if you keep rerolling the board for donation missions.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Met posted:

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes (Yeah!), No, and yes, the infinite boost bullshit still hasn't been reinstated.

That's one case where I'm happy they went with making better gameplay than :toot: realism :confuoot:

But I wanna ram condas at 2000 kph

Is that so much to ask for

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Paradoxish posted:

Would there really be much of a point? Pretty much all of inhabited space is interchangeable at the moment, so it seems kind of boring to add more for its own sake. Not that I really expect this kind of thing out of Frontier, but I'd rather they push developed space out in a more "designed" manner so that maybe new systems can have a bit of character or at least in-game events associated with them.

There is no way there wouldn't be a whole bunch of luxury resort hotels out in Barnard's Loop. It's a 4~ hour flight to a gorgeous area for rest and relaxation. Since there have been new stations that have sprung up in less than a year already you can't really use that as an excuse. I've driven 13 hours in a single day in real life, I could have easily made it to Sag A.

Why isn't this a place with tourists?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Because it keeps swallowing them?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
They have said that there are colonies out in the middle of nowhere on earth-likes, we just can't access them until atmospheric landing is a thing. It's pretty reasonable, since stations are huge efforts, extremely expensive, and really only useful if there is a lot of trade/traffic in the area, whereas a one-way colony ship with some prefab buildings and some generators that run on water would be pretty cheap by Elite standards.

Also, as far as more things outside of the bubble goes, the regions that you need permits to get to on the other side of the galaxy will almost certainly be inhabited by alien races, there isn't much else they could be used for. I suspect like many others that when the time comes there will be wormholes or some other plot device that allows quick travel to other spots in the galaxy. I mean, they have at least a five year plan for E:D, we're getting non-atmos landing and multicrew in the next year, then all that really leaves is FPS and atmos landing as major things that are obvious, and we can assume those will each potentially be their own seasons. So in my mind all that leaves is seasons dedicated to new regions of space and alien races that live there.

Sard posted:

Even the faction rank grind is probably not that bad if you keep rerolling the board for donation missions.

Depends on what you consider "that bad" and what rank you're trying to get to, as well as your luck and a bunch of random metrics that are completely invisible to the player. But assuming you just want rank 7 that's still a good 5-8 hours of sitting there refreshing the board and throwing away money. After that it's 5-10 hours of doing that per rank, if you think this is an okay thing in a game then I don't know what to tell you. The trick here is that you simply aren't intended by the devs to be able to get ranks in a reasonable timeframe (which also isn't okay) but they haven't addressed the mission board refreshing yet so :shrug:.

But then there's also the argument that ranks after 7 do essentially nothing right now (permits to worthless systems.)

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 3, 2015

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Holy poo poo, Batman! I just got my 5A FSD for my Explorer. WE are officially loving trucking, It'll make a 31.something jump fully laden with 24 tons of trade goods. I think I'm going to change out my cargo for fuel, put a advanced scanner, maybe a planetary scanner on it, slap a big honking fuel scoop on it and go find some cool looking poo poo in the universe.

Seriously, 31 LY fully laden is loving outrageous.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

If you have a conda you can get about 40ly jumps which is the best you can currently do. Also a 7a scoop which owns

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

AndroidHub posted:

Also, as far as more things outside of the bubble goes, the regions that you need permits to get to on the other side of the galaxy will almost certainly be inhabited by alien races, there isn't much else they could be used for.

There's places on the other side of the galaxy that require a permit? That's like a greedy new world colonist claiming all the land he can see as his own, even if he'll probably never be able to reach the other side of it in his lifetime

quote:

Depends on what you consider "that bad" and what rank you're trying to get to, as well as your luck and a bunch of random metrics that are completely invisible to the player. But assuming you just want rank 7 that's still a good 5-8 hours of sitting there refreshing the board and throwing away money. After that it's 5-10 hours of doing that per rank, if you think this is an okay thing in a game then I don't know what to tell you. The trick here is that you simply aren't intended by the devs to be able to get ranks in a reasonable timeframe (which also isn't okay) but they haven't addressed the mission board refreshing yet so :shrug:.

But then there's also the argument that ranks after 7 do essentially nothing right now (permits to worthless systems.)

Okay so in other words I'm not getting the empire/federal ships

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Okay so in other words I'm not getting the empire/federal ships

this was me untill someone told me about cheap clippers in arjung

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

There's places on the other side of the galaxy that require a permit? That's like a greedy new world colonist claiming all the land he can see as his own, even if he'll probably never be able to reach the other side of it in his lifetime

Most of the permit systems I've found have been out by nebula. You know the Veil nebula? Both of those have lots of permit locked systems in them. Which pissed me off because that limited the pictures I could take.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That's some dumb poo poo. How is that suit sitting in an office thousands of light years away even going to know you're taking pictures of a giant cloud of space particles he supposedly owns. I was thinking of visiting the east/west veil nebula too when I'm not so burnt out on exploring.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

ps am no frog posted:

If you have a conda you can get about 40ly jumps which is the best you can currently do. Also a 7a scoop which owns

Anaconda? gently caress no, I'm a space poor. It took me 2 weeks to get the 5 million for this 5A FSD, the Conda is what... 40 mill for just the ship? No thank you, sir.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

More like 140 million for a conda.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

That's some dumb poo poo. How is that suit sitting in an office thousands of light years away even going to know you're taking pictures of a giant cloud of space particles he supposedly owns. I was thinking of visiting the east/west veil nebula too when I'm not so burnt out on exploring.
:ssh: Thargoids :ssh:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Permits in general are kind of dumb but yeah, it's actually large clusters of stars that are blocked off in a lot of cases way out there, which people are assuming will be "region permits"(which is in the UI, there just aren't any that players can get yet).

You would think some intrepid pilot would jailbreak there ships nav computer or something though, then again this is a setting where it's your own ship that tells the police to come kill you when you don't fully scan the pirate who is scanning your cargo hold before shooting at them.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Black Griffon posted:

An hour of mining with an Asp can net you a few million (there are limpets now that collect the ore for you, making mining literally like 20 times faster). Type 7's and Pythons are even better. Type 6 is serviceable until you have an Asp.
An hour in a hazardous or high-intensity RES can net you several million. If you are spacepoor, then just wing up with anybody who owns a Vulture (or bigger) and they can help you pop high-value targets to rake in the big bucks.
Freight and smuggling missions got a buff where longer distance missions pay you more money. It's easy to find smuggling missions that pay several hundred thousand. Take a bunch at once and run them all while you watch Netflix for an easy million or so.
Trading is still trading. Dunno about exploration. Powerplay is stupid. I haven't tried CQC but I've heard good things about it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

AndroidHub posted:

Permits in general are kind of dumb but yeah, it's actually large clusters of stars that are blocked off in a lot of cases way out there, which people are assuming will be "region permits"(which is in the UI, there just aren't any that players can get yet).

You would think some intrepid pilot would jailbreak there ships nav computer or something though, then again this is a setting where it's your own ship that tells the police to come kill you when you don't fully scan the pirate who is scanning your cargo hold before shooting at them.

It's a gameplay thing that probably has everything to do with either Thargoids (as was said) or secret government research bases that need nebula for some reason. There is no in-game justification for it and I doubt there will be. It's blocked off because we aren't supposed to be there because it's going to be for something else someday.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

System permits actually are ok in a game play sense but let's not think too hard about how hosed these computer systems would be in real life with the amount of fuckery that bored nerds would execute

Compromised nav beacons are sort of an indication to this but at the same time I don't see how you couldn't fake unlimited crimes against someone

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

System permits actually are ok in a game play sense but let's not think too hard about how hosed these computer systems would be in real life with the amount of fuckery that bored nerds would execute

Compromised nav beacons are sort of an indication to this but at the same time I don't see how you couldn't fake unlimited crimes against someone

Sci-fi fiction frequently approaches the business of meddling with your navigation or identification systems by making them self-destructive.

Also here's a pretty cool trip report from someone who travelled to the far rim of the galaxy. I previously lost interest in the idea of exploration just to have my name on Earth-like worlds or to see things like Sag A*, but all this stuff about special routes and named star formations? That's fuckin' neat and motivational.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Kinda stuck. I have a decent fit Eagle in 63G., but every time I try to go out solo I go splat. Should I avoid HazRes and Hires for now?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sard posted:

Sci-fi fiction frequently approaches the business of meddling with your navigation or identification systems by making them self-destructive.

Also here's a pretty cool trip report from someone who travelled to the far rim of the galaxy. I previously lost interest in the idea of exploration just to have my name on Earth-like worlds or to see things like Sag A*, but all this stuff about special routes and named star formations? That's fuckin' neat and motivational.

I cannot believe there's fuel rats flying around at 65,000 light years away. I was afraid of running out of fuel in an unscoopable system a couple thousand ly away since I didn't think I could ask for a rat to go out there, but I guess this means there's good odds that there already are some rats flying around behind barnard's loop :psyduck:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Thronde posted:

Kinda stuck. I have a decent fit Eagle in 63G., but every time I try to go out solo I go splat. Should I avoid HazRes and Hires for now?

Don't go solo.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I took advantage of the Clipper sale to purchase a luxurious machine of sweeping majesty and subtle beauty. Then, because I sold my Type 6 for the money to get it, I slapped a mining laser on it and crashed it into the rings on Frey 4 to bounce around space rocks. It's actually proven to be a fantastic mining ship, if vastly overpriced for the job I have it doing.. Even with just the basic 128 ton hold, I dump in about ninety drones, space trucker out to a ring, and usually have over a hundred tons of good metals by the time I run out of limpets.

I hauled the resulting 90ish tons of palladium in two batches out to Kaushpoos and immediately wound up in the top 33% bracket for the CQ. I get the impression that most players must somewhat suck at mining.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Valatar posted:

I took advantage of the Clipper sale to purchase a luxurious machine of sweeping majesty and subtle beauty. Then, because I sold my Type 6 for the money to get it, I slapped a mining laser on it and crashed it into the rings on Frey 4 to bounce around space rocks. It's actually proven to be a fantastic mining ship, if vastly overpriced for the job I have it doing.. Even with just the basic 128 ton hold, I dump in about ninety drones, space trucker out to a ring, and usually have over a hundred tons of good metals by the time I run out of limpets.

I hauled the resulting 90ish tons of palladium in two batches out to Kaushpoos and immediately wound up in the top 33% bracket for the CQ. I get the impression that most players must somewhat suck at mining.

Mining is quite easy, but it's very boring compared to everything else you could be doing. And without a CG, it's a bit more profitable to be hunting pirates or doing massive trading runs.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I just bought an ASP with a 5A FSD and took a trip to Robigo and back. Made a cool 18M on just hauling missions, took about 3 hours total would have been much more if I could have taken that smuggling mission worth 5.5.

What's the absolutely cheapest Clipper config that can make some money? I want one before the rank requirements return. But perhaps I should just buy the hull and do a couple more long hauls?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Hamburger Test posted:

What's the absolutely cheapest Clipper config that can make some money?

This varys so hard on what you're trying to do

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hamburger Test posted:

I just bought an ASP with a 5A FSD and took a trip to Robigo and back. Made a cool 18M on just hauling missions, took about 3 hours total would have been much more if I could have taken that smuggling mission worth 5.5.
Gah, you're telling people the secret!
Filter your galaxy map to remove uninhabited systems and you'll see there's a string of these worlds stretching from Sothis all the way back to human space. You can hit them all in a row and make good cash picking up just the long ranged haulage missions. Smuggling missions are a bonus, but not really necessary to make bank.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

This varys so hard on what you're trying to do
I just want to fly a Clipper as soon as possible and still be able to make money. I know that it will be poo poo for fighting until I invest much more into it. Haven't done trading, exploring or mining yet - but I would eventually try it anyway.

I want to throw lasers and a big shield on it eventually, but as long as I can work my way towards it I'd be fine with doing something else for a while. I hate flying the Asp after the Courier.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 3, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

As a paranoid bad player I would honestly grab it ASAP before it gets ranked again and then work on outfitting it.

People who know cargo running can correct me, but you should be able to build it out as a hauler pretty cheaply, the biggest cost will be the FSD. I'm looking 30ish before any discounts, but that's with 21m of that being Clipper.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Hamburger Test posted:

I just want to fly a Clipper as soon as possible and still be able to make money. I know that it will be poo poo for fighting until I invest much more into it. Haven't done trading, exploring or mining yet - but I would eventually try it anyway.

I want to throw lasers and a big shield on it eventually, but as long as I can work my way towards it I'd be fine with doing something else for a while. I hate flying the Asp after the Courier.

6B or 6C shields with four boosters, two large pulses and two medium multicannons, A grade the distributor, anything else can be junky D's, and you'll do okay in hirez. Including the discounts people have found, that will get you in the game at 25 million. Your initial shields will only be about 400 MJ, but since all shields regenerate the same amount over time anyway all that means is that you shouldn't be tanking 400 or more damage in any fight, for maximum income over time. So snipe at all the pirates the cops are already shooting.

Since the clipper is a carry hero, you can just keep pumping money into it for continued improvement of ability up until it is worth more than 100 million spacedollars. And always remember that it can be shifted between different roles on a whim — it makes an excellent trader (200+ cargo, legitimately it's a type 7 that's immune to piracy), an excellent miner, and a pretty good explorer (but don't explore for money).

never fly it without insurance money in the bank. ever. If you find yourself in that position, sell some of its components to kit out a courier to dogfight in, which should cost about 5m total but only cost you 300k if you blooie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
also remember that while the courier and the clipper are available now, they won't be soon. They currently represent the best value for their dollars at their respective prices by a significant margin, but all that goes completely out the window once the rank restriction comes back into play, because after that point the rank grind becomes such a completely prohibitive block as to make them so hard to get that you'd have been better off just jumping straight to the costlier upgrades above them. The Vulture costs more than twice as much to buy and upgrade than the Courier and is very straightjacketed into its role, and the Python costs more than three or four times as much to buy and upgrade than the Clipper and is sluggish and slow in comparison. But neither require any naval rank, so they will default back to being the best upgrade options for any player who didn't grind up imperial ranks back when it wasn't a soulgrinding dickchurn.

so buy the iFrames now if you can.

• Locked thread