Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

http://heroaca.com/comic.html

Jesus, the cover for Volume 6 is cool/scary as gently caress.

Reminds me of Junji Itou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh wow Torodoki gets a solo cover for volume 5.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...really? Because MHA just *screams* Imaishi to me.

edit: Or maybe it's because I can't separate Imaishi from Trigger in my head.

I meant to say take him out of the cage just for the action scenes in the original post, but that got cut for some reason, but yeah, that's what I meant.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Allarion posted:

The anime studio will be Bones. That could actually work out very well depending on who's working on it.

get hype for a terrible anime original ending

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Second to last episode Deku wins the tournament and then All Might jumps in the middle of the stage.

All Might, "Good work my boy! It seems I've finally found someone strong enough to kill me!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sam Faust posted:

Second to last episode Deku wins the tournament and then All Might jumps in the middle of the stage.

All Might, "Good work my boy! It seems I've finally found someone strong enough to kill me!"

Then it turns out Quirks are caused by the souls of people who died during World War II

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Blockhouse posted:

get hype for a terrible anime original ending

For an ongoing manga series? Never happening. Gotta leave the door open for season 2 down the road.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Vengarr posted:

For an ongoing manga series? Never happening. Gotta leave the door open for season 2 down the road.

not a fan of fma, huh?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Was Noragami's original s1 ending bad? It left the door open for a 2nd season anyways.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ruggington posted:

not a fan of fma, huh?

or soul eater or ouran or blood blockade battlefront, I guess

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Blockhouse posted:

or soul eater or ouran or blood blockade battlefront, I guess
Man, what does he like?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Allarion posted:

Was Noragami's original s1 ending bad? It left the door open for a 2nd season anyways.

I don't know and I haven't read the original stuff but I liked S1.

Eej fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 3, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I loving hated the original FMA but that's a topic for another thread.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ruggington posted:

not a fan of fma, huh?

The original ending to FMA was almost universally considered a mistake, I thought.

Twiddy posted:

Man, what does he like?

BBB is in my backlog. Should I read the manga instead?

Soul Eater and Ouran were bad to begin with though

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
To be fair Bones also did Brotherhood and I assume (hope!) they've learned from their mistakes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
FMA was kind of a different beast since it was a very theme-laden, plot-heavy show that required closure but of course Arakawa wasn't gonna spill the beans early.

BBB had the opposite problem where none of its stories were really interrelated, nor did the source material appear to be building up to anything. Similarly, the core cast was (by design) very static. Injecting an anime-only overarching plot and ending wasn't an unnatural step, but the nature of the beast really prevented any sort of meaningful climax.

Ouran's ending was good and the anime as a whole turned out better than the manga, IMO. Haven't seen Soul Eater.

For now I'd advise on waiting to learn more.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I thought that BBB was Mappa, not Bones.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Soul Eater's anime ending was decent enough albeit kind of cheesy and underwhelming, but unfortunately basically right at the point it splits off, the manga starts going nuts and gets really cool.

Trigun does pretty well with its anime original stuff, though I haven't read the manga yet so I don't know how they compare.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 3, 2015

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I thought that BBB was Mappa, not Bones.

It was Bones.

A rumor was posted on 2ch about ~2 weeks ago that Bones was doing this show, with Kenji Nagasaki directing and Umakoshi doing character designs. Take that as you will but that key visual art is definitely in line with Umakoshi's style. If its true that's pretty great staff for a series like this.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

Soul Eater's anime ending was decent enough albeit kind of cheesy and underwhelming, but unfortunately basically right at the point it splits off, the manga starts going nuts and gets really cool.

Trigun does pretty well with its anime original stuff, though I haven't read the manga yet so I don't know how they compare.

Honestly I thought the Soul Eater manga's ending was pretty lame. Mostly I'm just salty about how Medusa ended up, though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

aers posted:

It was Bones.

A rumor was posted on 2ch about ~2 weeks ago that Bones was doing this show, with Kenji Nagasaki directing and Umakoshi doing character designs. Take that as you will but that key visual art is definitely in line with Umakoshi's style. If its true that's pretty great staff for a series like this.

the Gundam Build Fighter director?

okay, sure, let's do this

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

aers posted:

It was Bones.

Huh, interesting director choice if true.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

chumbler posted:

Honestly I thought the Soul Eater manga's ending was pretty lame. Mostly I'm just salty about how Medusa ended up, though.

Eh, the ending specifically I do have some problems with, but everything up until then I was super into.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

chumbler posted:

Still way better than her anime end, imo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bones is fine, because it's not Toei or Pierrot.

I'm one of like 10 people who thought the original FMA anime was largely better than the manga because the manga literally reads like a lovely JRPG in the last 1/3rd. The ending was the most what-in-the-gently caress-am-I-looking-at curveball I've seen basically ever but I snore at the ending of the manga and brotherhood.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

I'm one of like 10 people who thought the original FMA anime was largely better than the manga because the manga literally reads like a lovely JRPG in the last 1/3rd. The ending was the most what-in-the-gently caress-am-I-looking-at curveball I've seen basically ever but I snore at the ending of the manga and brotherhood.

I suppose the saying is true. 9 in 10 dentists will recommend a toothbrush, 1 won't, and then there's this guy who jabs a knife into his teeth and bleeds all over the floor.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It could be like Claymore and have face-hands guy fight Deku to the death in a volcano that came out of nowhere at the end of the Stain arc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The best thing to come out of this will be all of the "bad original anime ending" theories.

All For One shows up at the end, revealing that he seeded the earth with quirks and tried to take over to unify and prepare us for the alien invasion that was coming- the anime ends with their spaceships entering our atmosphere.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
As a gift to Zepia

Anime is much darker for no apparent reason. Shigaraki actually kills Tsuyu during the USJ attack, and there's like 2 full episodes dedicated to a story JUST for Ingenium building him up to when Stain brutally kills him instead of just crippling him. The ending has All For One come out of absolutely nowhere- Todoroki loses an eye, the entire villain alliance dies, All Might and Midoriya die but in an anime-only contrivance the "souls" of the people in One For All can sacrifice themselves to revive the true owner and All Might's sacrifices itself to revive him.

:iamafag:

Seems pretty Bonesy to me.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I suppose we have to hope that the approach with the adaptation will be that of a seasonal adaptation - ie, that it won't need or try to come up with its own ending because that won't be the point.

Though if they do then I expect All Might to actually be the villain, having injured himself to provide a convincing excuse when he started grooming Deku so that he can take over the boy's body and become even more powerful than he already is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I suppose the saying is true. 9 in 10 dentists will recommend a toothbrush, 1 won't, and then there's this guy who jabs a knife into his teeth and bleeds all over the floor.

While I really enjoyed all of the FMA manga, he's kind of correct about it getting into pretty JRPG-ish territory in the latter parts. I happen to enjoy that sort of over the top plot, but I can understand why someone wouldn't.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fabricated posted:

The original anime ending was such a trainwreck that nothing really comes close

Probably one my most hated endings to an anime/manga outside of usagi drop

Ytlaya posted:

While I really enjoyed all of the FMA manga, he's kind of correct about it getting into pretty JRPG-ish territory in the latter parts. I happen to enjoy that sort of over the top plot, but I can understand why someone wouldn't.
As if the crawling in my skin stuff in the original anime was any better though. And then they made a movie based on that ending rather than anything to do with the manga, and that movie was baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i liked the ending in FMA after the big battle is over

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

i liked the ending in FMA after the big battle is over
I found it kinda ridiculously saccharine myself. Everyone hooks up with everyone else and has kids and lives happily ever after, Ed and Al's dad animedies kneeling at his wife's grave, and Ed is wistful for about 3 seconds about not being magic anymore.

Also the Israel/Palestine conflict of the series kinda just resolves itself as a comic misunderstanding.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well i mostly meant the losing his magic bit, everything else yeah i agree with. its been a while since i read it so i probably forgot a bunch of stuff

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Nothing wrong with a happy ending.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TriffTshngo posted:

Nothing wrong with a happy ending.

no but anime tho

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol I love that the kind of cliches that fans of other media would call "anime", anime fans refer to as "jrpg". i guess there is always someone lower on the food chain.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Guy A. Person posted:

Lol I love that the kind of cliches that fans of other media would call "anime", anime fans refer to as "jrpg". i guess there is always someone lower on the food chain.

if we keep saying things we don't like are for people we think less of, we'll feel better about ourselves! It's fullproof!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I found it kinda ridiculously saccharine myself. Everyone hooks up with everyone else and has kids and lives happily ever after, Ed and Al's dad animedies kneeling at his wife's grave, and Ed is wistful for about 3 seconds about not being magic anymore.

That's all really good though!