Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

So changing party exp distribution settings to "by level" gave the highest level dude in the party all of the XP

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
yah and it is loving halarious

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

My character is wearing some giga puddi and a fried egg on their head, Tree of Savior definitely has its hat game on point

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Where did you get the fried egg?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The mercenary post in Fedimian, after level 100 you can talk to a dude in there and he sends you on missions. It dropped at the end for me, my friends all got weird gimmick weapons too

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I take it that you can't change class advancements once you've made them? I took archer three times so far since I liked multi-shot and oblique, and eventually learned I could just use kneeling shot while watching netflix. So now that I reached the cap of that class I can't rely on my gut anymore, so I started to look up the other classes. I'm also not really noticing anything that synergizes with what I've been doing so far. So uh, any recommendations? Also Twin Peaks is good.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Finally got to Sadhu around level 80. Seems like a neat class, but the grind has finally become real and I don't have any desire to press on, it was hard enough to just get to rank 4. Even doing a little grinding and scouring the maps for every quest, most of the span from 40 to 80 or so is really threadbare and you have to just be very scrappy and tolerate being well below the level of the map. I really hope they add many more quests, if even just some repeatable ones (I saw only two more repeatable quests after miner's village) and ease up the curve even more than they did from the first test.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I've seen at least 4 zones by level 76 that were off the main quest chain and had quests in them. I bet I have missed a few too.

I really just want to get cataphract and call it a day, but it is taking so god drat long I don't think I can do it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Battlepriest trip report. Very viable once you get to priest circle 2.

Advantages- Extremely simple to play, you load up all your buffs and go to town. Will absolutely wreck zones and bosses that have a dark tendency, no cooldowns needed. Very support oriented, can provide tons of extra damage for your entire party, flat physical resists, extra dex and debuff enemies so they have less defense and evade. Can rez and provide a flat 20% heal on cooldown for the party. Can keep itself alive during solo bosses thanks to heal and safetywall. No charges mean you can play the class without lag spikes loving you over.

Disadvantages- Extremely expensive when compared other classes. Ranking up class abilities at the trainer is way more necessary on priest than it is on other classes, providing extra targets for rez, blessings, flat dark resists and the like while other classes just get %1 increases. So you are constantly losing money there. Class items needed for buffs cost money and although pretty insignificant it adds up early on, specially when you take the above into the equation. You need to level up two sets of weapons instead of just one which also is a big drain. No attack abilities means you only auto attack, and a lot of people might find that boring.

Still I find it relaxing in an old school sort of way. Just wish there was a way to increase attack speed to obscene levels like in RO.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I bought 2 attributes for the ranger take aim skill and man, it might only like 4 points extra damage but it seems like things explode more readily.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am finally a catarack

they also give you a free pet when you get it

rip EmergencyRations

Also all of my abilities work on it so that seems good.

Woptendo
Mar 23, 2006

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I take it that you can't change class advancements once you've made them? I took archer three times so far since I liked multi-shot and oblique, and eventually learned I could just use kneeling shot while watching netflix. So now that I reached the cap of that class I can't rely on my gut anymore, so I started to look up the other classes. I'm also not really noticing anything that synergizes with what I've been doing so far. So uh, any recommendations? Also Twin Peaks is good.

How significant are the attack speed and damage buffs from maxed out Kneeling Shot? I was thinking about going Archer c3 mainly for that and weaving in some Sapper; with the goal being able to set up some traps, hunker down with Kneeling Shot, and grind in the manner of a human turret.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

I am finally a catarack

they also give you a free pet when you get it

rip EmergencyRations

Also all of my abilities work on it so that seems good.

Tell me more.
How's the damage on those abilities?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I only have the one skill point at the moment and I put it in impaler, where I can pick up enemies. It is a rather useless skill unless you have earth wave as it locks you out of anything but movement, block, and possibly the other cataphract skills like earth wave.

I have been picking up mobs and bringing them to wizard fire balls though. That is kinda funny.

The tool tips are still pretty low damage but that is what I was expecting. They match the tos data base exactly. I think I may not use impaler much and just go with the other three skills.

Mounting up actually adds stats, they seem to not be based off of the pet stats as leveling them up had no effect. I may be wrong on that.

Health went from 8500 to 9210
Gained 5 physical defense, 8 evasion, and 4 speed. You can not sprint while on the mount. Sprint speed is slightly faster, but with trot it would be ok.

Earth wave may be good on bosses, and I'll respec in a bit and go try that out.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

I only have the one skill point at the moment and I put it in impaler, where I can pick up enemies. It is a rather useless skill unless you have earth wave as it locks you out of anything but movement, block, and possibly the other cataphract skills like earth wave.

I have been picking up mobs and bringing them to wizard fire balls though. That is kinda funny.

The tool tips are still pretty low damage but that is what I was expecting. They match the tos data base exactly. I think I may not use impaler much and just go with the other three skills.

Mounting up actually adds stats, they seem to not be based off of the pet stats as leveling them up had no effect. I may be wrong on that.

Health went from 8500 to 9210
Gained 5 physical defense, 8 evasion, and 4 speed. You can not sprint while on the mount. Sprint speed is slightly faster, but with trot it would be ok.

Earth wave may be good on bosses, and I'll respec in a bit and go try that out.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it kind of sounds like hoplite and cata are really more flavor than function.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Battlepriest trip report. Very viable once you get to priest circle 2.

Advantages- Extremely simple to play, you load up all your buffs and go to town. Will absolutely wreck zones and bosses that have a dark tendency, no cooldowns needed. Very support oriented, can provide tons of extra damage for your entire party, flat physical resists, extra dex and debuff enemies so they have less defense and evade. Can rez and provide a flat 20% heal on cooldown for the party. Can keep itself alive during solo bosses thanks to heal and safetywall. No charges mean you can play the class without lag spikes loving you over.

Disadvantages- Extremely expensive when compared other classes. Ranking up class abilities at the trainer is way more necessary on priest than it is on other classes, providing extra targets for rez, blessings, flat dark resists and the like while other classes just get %1 increases. So you are constantly losing money there. Class items needed for buffs cost money and although pretty insignificant it adds up early on, specially when you take the above into the equation. You need to level up two sets of weapons instead of just one which also is a big drain. No attack abilities means you only auto attack, and a lot of people might find that boring.

Still I find it relaxing in an old school sort of way. Just wish there was a way to increase attack speed to obscene levels like in RO.

I have been working on this too, but I was considering futzing about with Dievdirbys after Priest c2 (maybe even Priest c3?). Since I'm going full support route instead I might consider dumping points into only INT/SPR for nukes and SP usage, and support this expensive-rear end class with ill-gotten gains from my Highlander.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

pretty much

Hoplite gets you one or two nice moves and access to spears which the entire class is based around fighting larger things than you and you get a nice bonus to that

My hasta is +2 so it is 77-92(+12) but gets a bonus 17 on medium targets and 34 on large targets. Also 5 more attack range. It is a nice boost on larger targets but not great. Two handed spears don't get that bonus, just get a longer reach. There are no two handed spears easily available until about level 100 besides the one in town. And that guy is 107-144 damage with 10 reach instead of 5. No other bonuses on most two handed spears that are unique to spears it looks like.

Stabbing and pierce really do help out a lot, but hoplite two makes pierce better where it can hit 4 times on bosses instead of 3. On a medium creature it does about 1000-1400 damage total from two hits but the long cool down sucks. Stabbing ends up doing way more damage though since it hits like 10 or 15 times for like 350 each. If the cool down on that was lower, it would be fine.

I have no idea if synchro thrusting has ever done bonus attack from counter attacks, but part of its damage is based on your shield, so it should scale well into higher levels.

Here is earth wave.

It doesn't seem to bad on a 30 second cool down. I do like steed charge being on a 15 second cool down though.

edit: earth wave with the lovely two handed dunkel spear is 1000.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 2, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Forgot, two handed spears get one thing from cataphract passives. Up to 40% bonus shield penetration.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

aldantefax posted:

I have been working on this too, but I was considering futzing about with Dievdirbys after Priest c2 (maybe even Priest c3?). Since I'm going full support route instead I might consider dumping points into only INT/SPR for nukes and SP usage, and support this expensive-rear end class with ill-gotten gains from my Highlander.

It depends on what type of support you want to give. For more offensive damage dievdirbys provide the cooldown reduction carvings which are great. If you want more defensive utilities, paladin is the way to go since they provide heafty elemental resistances and a massive heal bonus. Full int paladins can heal for absurd amounts.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

There is a 2h spear that hits large enemies 3 times per swing. http://www.tosbase.com/database/items/251103/

Hoplite and thamaturge probably go together nicely, with tham having a buff that increases monster size and hp/rewards.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

from 4chan

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

There is a 2h spear that hits large enemies 3 times per swing. http://www.tosbase.com/database/items/251103/

Hoplite and thamaturge probably go together nicely, with tham having a buff that increases monster size and hp/rewards.

That looks nice, but gently caress a level 100 zone. Not doing that yet.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Woptendo posted:

How significant are the attack speed and damage buffs from maxed out Kneeling Shot? I was thinking about going Archer c3 mainly for that and weaving in some Sapper; with the goal being able to set up some traps, hunker down with Kneeling Shot, and grind in the manner of a human turret.

Maxed kneeling shot basically doubles the auto-attack damage numbers for me. As for speed, I took out a stopwatch and tested on a boss and my results were that firing 10 shots comes in at ~8.06 seconds without it, and with it; 10 shots takes ~6.02 seconds. It's a pretty solid skill imo, but when you do compare it to other maxed skills though, they definitely outclass it, which is fair when you put SP, activation times and/or cool downs into account. This is all with me using 2 points in dexterity for every 1 point strength by the way, not sure if that really matters.

What I initially had in mind was just looking for a class with a bunch buffs, but I do like the trap idea. I'm now also thinking that the hunter class might be good? Basically anything that can let you do damage without having to constantly activate it while in the middle of the fight.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The weak point of hunter is the AI isn't too great. They'll move and attack and stuff, but it is pretty much exactly like the AI you see the enemies use. So stuff like boss aoe's really tear them up, and moving enemies they don't really attack well.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Maxed kneeling shot basically doubles the auto-attack damage numbers for me. As for speed, I took out a stopwatch and tested on a boss and my results were that firing 10 shots comes in at ~8.06 seconds without it, and with it; 10 shots takes ~6.02 seconds. It's a pretty solid skill imo, but when you do compare it to other maxed skills though, they definitely outclass it, which is fair when you put SP, activation times and/or cool downs into account. This is all with me using 2 points in dexterity for every 1 point strength by the way, not sure if that really matters.

What I initially had in mind was just looking for a class with a bunch buffs, but I do like the trap idea. I'm now also thinking that the hunter class might be good? Basically anything that can let you do damage without having to constantly activate it while in the middle of the fight.

Since the formula of Kneeling Shot directly adds DEX to your bonus damage, I wonder if it would work well with an extremely high Dex build. Like 1:4 STR/DEX. As far as auto attacks are concerned, you only need enough STR to get a decent Critical Attack, since DEX can do both the damage and Critical Rate at that point.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Ahaha okay this loving patch is the ultimate troll.

Price changes everywhere.

Vendor sale price of a Demon staff before: 22k. Vendor price now? 4k.

Repair cost of staff before? like 200. Repair cost now? 4k.

Has anyone else had issues with timeouts in Mausoleam Construction site Storage room? Any time I entered the area I would time out in 5-10 minutes. Haven't tried it on the patch that just went in

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 3, 2015

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
The pessimistic take: this game has the potential to be great but it's looking more and more like private servers will be required to realize it. Unless they decide to charge full price for the game and religiously ban cheaters (neither of these are ever going to happen) it will be destroyed by how easy it is to hack. Class balance is going to be hilariously bad because the game mechanics are wonky as gently caress. The leveling is actually very tame by Korean standards thanks to the quests and group dungeons but god help you if you miss a few quests that have no markers because straight grinding for experience is worse than Ragnarok Online. The silver grind to buy attributes and gear and repair your gear though, well please look forward to paying $5 for a set of 20 repair tokens or to level an attribute a few times, assuming you can navigate in town under the constant cloud of chat bubbles of RMT silver selling spammers. :unsmigghh:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Gibbo posted:

Ahaha okay this loving patch is the ultimate troll.

Price changes everywhere.

Vendor sale price of a Demon staff before: 22k. Vendor price now? 4k.

Repair cost of staff before? like 200. Repair cost now? 4k.

Repair costs are a bug, at least.
https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/known-issues-updated-nov-3-2015/85609

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OK Im having issues paying for poo poo as it is so I guess I'm taking a break or switching to another character while that is sorted.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

OK Im having issues paying for poo poo as it is so I guess I'm taking a break or switching to another character while that is sorted.

If all you do is quest you get practically no money. Grind some.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Sacro posted:

The pessimistic take: this game has the potential to be great but it's looking more and more like private servers will be required to realize it. Unless they decide to charge full price for the game and religiously ban cheaters (neither of these are ever going to happen) it will be destroyed by how easy it is to hack. Class balance is going to be hilariously bad because the game mechanics are wonky as gently caress. The leveling is actually very tame by Korean standards thanks to the quests and group dungeons but god help you if you miss a few quests that have no markers because straight grinding for experience is worse than Ragnarok Online. The silver grind to buy attributes and gear and repair your gear though, well please look forward to paying $5 for a set of 20 repair tokens or to level an attribute a few times, assuming you can navigate in town under the constant cloud of chat bubbles of RMT silver selling spammers. :unsmigghh:

Repair costs are really cheap though! When not bugged, at least. The quest thing could easily be changed if they wanted to, and even if it isn't people will make zone guides/maps. Class balance could definitely be an issue, but it's mostly pve and you get so many classes per character it's not as bad as it would be in a typical class system. I haven't seen any RMT traders, but I don't read yell chat so IDK if there are some advertising. What are the hacks doing? I definitely won't be surprised to see some, but I don't think I've seen any in person. Please don't be such a pessimist, you don't only have half the materials for a new hat, you already have half the materials for a new hat! :shobon:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

pertinent posted:

If all you do is quest you get practically no money. Grind some.

I grind plenty but Im like 5 levels away from getting to a new gear tier which means I need to spend like 200k total to get top of the line upgraded gear for that line. Compound all the extra costs associated with being a priest and the new buggged repair means I just wont have enough for it when the time comes.

I could just switch to my highlander and play that since its much cheaper but the client hosed up anyways and it asked me to reinstall so I have to wait a while anyways.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I was wrong about the cataphract skill impaler. You can use it again even though it is dark and on cool down tos lam the enemy into the ground. It also uses SP almost every time you press it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

just because it is funny

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Well at least we haven't seen something like 3x times the experience from one level to another like in RO. That curve though is still waaaaay to steep.

OK why do I keep getting these broken ipp files or whatever. What do I need to do to unfuck my client

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax
What level can you do the PVP.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Silento posted:

What are the hacks doing? I definitely won't be surprised to see some, but I don't think I've seen any in person. Please don't be such a pessimist, you don't only have half the materials for a new hat, you already have half the materials for a new hat! :shobon:

A lot of stuff is handled Client Side in this game, you can cheat pretty easily by just knowing that. Stuff like your damage output and position, so you can zip around and kill everything instantly etc. If you've played literally any kMMO before you've probably seen tons of it already, it's everywhere in DFO, Vindictus, and Archeage was extra hilarious as well. And since it's a kMMO they are slapping on an anti-cheat engine that does nothing but set off your virus scanner (currently Xigncode3 in the Korean version, which does quite literally nothing). I wouldn't be surprised if they also add restrictions on trading and the auction house to help deal with gold farmers since that seems to be a common solution as well.

Other stuff that worries me is the grind (weird xp curve, how bad it will be on release, or towards the end game), Upgrading (you know the drill with this poo poo), cost of respecs and other cash shop related items, and of course if there will actually be anything interesting to do at the end game (not likely). Also Stamina which I can't even see the point of aside from being obnoxious for the player occasionally.

Pessimism aside anyway, I think the game is pretty fun so far and I'm looking forward to the release (or "open beta" if you will). Combat feels great, and it looks and sounds amazing in general.

Having to unlock cosmetic customization options is a little weird though, is this going to be another MMO where you have to pay real $$ to be black?

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well at least we haven't seen something like 3x times the experience from one level to another like in RO. That curve though is still waaaaay to steep.

OK why do I keep getting these broken ipp files or whatever. What do I need to do to unfuck my client

There are people arguing that exp cards shouldn't exist and that leveling is too fast in the current game. I hate these people.
https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/the-grinding-is-real-please-do-something/91908

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Hy_C posted:

There are people arguing that exp cards shouldn't exist and that leveling is too fast in the current game. I hate these people.
https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/the-grinding-is-real-please-do-something/91908

These people are why we can't have nice things and why kMMOs are absurd grindfests. They also hate fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I don't think I've ever seen an MMO community that wasn't completely full of those kinds of people.

• Locked thread