Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Disco had a great match against Juvi at Havoc 98. Then half an hour later he pulled double duty and had a horrible match against Billy Kidman where he was clearly gassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i hate disco inferno because of his tna run everything he did in wcw was fine

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm sure his booking ideas are horrible, but that's probably not a great example of why. Was this committee the one run by Kevin Nash that was writing the last half of the show while the first half was airing?

He was part of Russo 2.0.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
gently caress GLENN.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Disco Inferno + Alex Wright was such a legit tag team though

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Alex Wright was a good kid but he really needed more than 1 dance move.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Yeah but if you only have one dance move while in a leather jacket and neon underwear, he had the right one.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Alex Wright was awesome

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is calling Hollywood Hogan "Woody" something we just decided to do within the last three days?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Speaking of all of the forty-somethings in the main event, does anyone recall what match in the endtimes/Millionaires Club vs New Blood maybe era where Tony spent several minutes talking about how he'd been talking to [insert hall of famer he probably hadn't talked to, Verne Gagne] and how it may look like Kidman's faster and younger and more athletic than Hulk Hogan but Vern told him that you don't truly hit your stride in wrestling until your forties or fifties, because you have the experience to go with the strength, so really Hogan is in a better position to win this than you may think, Kidman isn't old enough, plus this means that Hogan's best matches are ahead of him.

It might have been Crowbar and Ric Flair or any other combination of "guy under 30" and "guy at or near 50" but it is still my favorite 'disconnect from reality' announcing moment from WCW.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is calling Hollywood Hogan "Woody" something we just decided to do within the last three days?

He cut a long, rambling, incoherent promo in mid 1998 where he talked about how he went down to the hood and they called him Wood. He referred to himself as Wood and Woody for a while afterward.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

Woody is fun to look back on but so much of hollywood hogan is desperate nonsense that even hot 90's crowds seem to tire of 5 minutes in while the rest of the nwo in the ring tries to act like they're paying attention. It's enjoyable to watch in hindsight but week in and week out i cannot imagine sitting though another rambling promo about nothing when maybe I could watch Steve Austin stun someone on the other channel.

The problem is that his part in the whole angle never really involved. No matter what anyone else in the nWo was doing, he would just come out week after week and talk about how awesome he was. His first heel promo is utterly amazing, best of his career, but after a couple of years he wasn't doing anything different.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Luigi Thirty posted:

He cut a long, rambling, incoherent promo in mid 1998 where he talked about how he went down to the hood and they called him Wood. He referred to himself as Wood and Woody for a while afterward.

And a lot of us just watched that episode a few weeks ago in MRT's channel so it kinda stuck.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

wood with wood

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Was that supposed to be dramatic? Cuz hulk looked bored as gently caress

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Halloween Jack posted:

I still don't know why everyone hates Disco Inferno so much in the Tuesday Nitro chat. I gather he did stuff in TNA that everyone hated? And he has silly opinions about how wrestling should be silly, but those opinions also include "Who cares if a guy isn't big? This is fake."

I liked Disco Inferno because I like my wrestling silly. And a dude disco dancing lamely whilst thinking he is the coolest thing ever is one of the silliest gimmicks ever. And it ruled.

I like Bo Dallas for the same reason.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Chris James 2 posted:

wood with wood

Why does Sting think he's the Joker

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is this the one where he rambled about the Observer and lit it on fire on PPV

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Using this as a flimsy excuse to repost this.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

1st AD posted:

Why does Sting think he's the Joker

Is this the one where he rambled about the Observer and lit it on fire on PPV

Nah, that came a few years earlier. IIRC that may have come during that brief period he wore black but was still a face.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

"observe this, brother" is from World War 3 '95

Thauros posted:

Nah, that came a few years earlier. IIRC that may have come during that brief period he wore black but was still a face.
correct. He actually tears off his black tank top to reveal the red and yellow in the promo that's mostly about him rejecting the dark side of hulkamania

bartok
May 10, 2006

What was the undercard like during Hogan's face run in WCW? Was it completely dire with Hogan's friends running amok or were there some genuine bright spots on the roster?

The only PPV I've seen from that era was the infamous Halloween Havoc '95. That whole PPV is pretty lovely wrestling wise save for the fun but short Sabu/Mr. JL match and the mediocre but way too long Johnny B. Badd/DDP match.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I've seen only a few Nitros from that time but it was pretty good. Before his knee was ruined Marc Mero was a really underrated worker, and yeah some of the other notable names in the midcard and lower were Jerry-Lynn-as-Mr.-JL, DDP, Eddie Guerrero, I'd count Benoit and Pillman before they joined the revived Horsemen, and (as Hogan neared his turn) Konnan, who was in the best shape of his life and actually seemed to be trying.

The US and TV title scenes were pretty consistently stocked with good wrestlers who had good matches with each other.

Oh, except for when the One Man Gang won the US title I guess, jesus christ.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bartok posted:

What was the undercard like during Hogan's face run in WCW? Was it completely dire with Hogan's friends running amok or were there some genuine bright spots on the roster?

The only PPV I've seen from that era was the infamous Halloween Havoc '95. That whole PPV is pretty lovely wrestling wise save for the fun but short Sabu/Mr. JL match and the mediocre but way too long Johnny B. Badd/DDP match.

When he came in he brought in all his buddies and they ran wild on the midcard. Duggan over Austin in 30 seconds is the most obvious example.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

dsriggs posted:

Using this as a flimsy excuse to repost this.

This is almost Ultimate Warrior/Randy Savage levels of incoherent rambling.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Akileese posted:

This is almost Ultimate Warrior/Randy Savage levels of incoherent rambling.

Uh buddy that's an edit

But the unedited promo is indeed about as coherent as contemporary ALLTIMITT WOYER material

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Found this at a local hobby shop's kite section.

Enjoy

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Fall Brawl '98 retro observer is out

quote:

Juvi was wearing "Sweet Surrender" on his trunks which I'm told is some kind of a gay deal which someone told him to wear as a practical joke.

quote:

Diamond Dallas Page (Page Falkenburg) won the War Games in 20:06 to earn a shot at Goldberg's title on 10/25 in Las Vegas. Where do we start? Well, since they didn't play their regular entrance music, Page came out and got a very small pop, although his running into the crowd did pick it up to where it wasn't embarrassing. That couldn't be said for the total non-reaction to Hart. The new rules were a killer as it took away the mystique from the match of seeing a top guy surrender and that it could end before everyone got in (although logic was that wasn't going to happen). Page and Hart went five minutes, which you'd think would be good but it was actually unbelievable how dead it was during this period. Stevie Ray (Lane Huffman) was in next, which meant there were two B&W guys before anyone from the Wolfpac got in. Sting (Steve Borden) was in next and did the dive from one ring to the other that he used to do in late 80s War Games, but age as he's now 39 has caught up with him and he didn't clear the ropes. Sting got a momentary pop coming in which was the first of the match. Roddy Piper (Roderick Tombs) was in next and attacked everyone including teammate Page. Really, except for Hogan and Ray, nobody ever worked together as a team in this match. Lex Luger (Larry Pfohl) was in next and he attacked both Hart and Piper. Kevin Nash was in next and the place exploded. Hulk Hogan (Terry Bollea) came in following Nash about 90 seconds early and hit everyone in the ring with a slapjack except for teammates Ray and Hart and they all went down like they were asleep. Hogan threatened to hit Hart with it but instead Ray clipped Hart and Bret sold it like he was asleep as well. Hogan gave Nash two legdrops for good measure and went for the pin when the steam came out. Renegade (Richard Williams), who had been hidden under the ring since before the show started, came up through the trap door and Hogan took his Warrior jacket off. More steam came, and Renegade went back under the ring and the real Warrior (Jim Hellwig) ran in after Hogan. You could hear a bunch of coughing from the smoke which was funny because all those guys were supposed to be asleep. Hogan then ran out of the cage and Disciple got the ref to lock the door leaving Warrior in. Warrior was in there with all the sleeping superstars who were killing their own credibility all at once and wouldn't pin them although he did some poorly timed spots with Ray, since he doesn't care about titles. Problem is, fans don't care about him either as this segment was dying. Finally he kicked his way out of the cage and dropped to the floor, and in doing so, twisted his ankle. He limped after Hogan for a pull-apart in the aisle, and in the pull-apart, suffered some sort of a minor bicep tear. Page and Hart were waking up, and since Ray never went to pin anyone during this period, he went to use the slapjack on Page, but Hart pushed Page out of the way, saving him, and Page used the diamond cutter on Ray for the pin to absolutely no reaction. After the match the live crowd was pissed about the match, the Warrior gimmick which is dying in every city, and the night in general booing heavily and throwing things at the announcers, etc. This was one for the record books. -****

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

War Games was bad but I didn't think it was that bad.

Also Im pretty sure Hart was holding Page to get hit, he didn't push Page out of the way to save him. But it did look really bad.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Mid 90s WCW had a pretty deep undercard. Hogan's buddies were overpushed, but you still had guys like Badd, DDP, Wright, Konnan, and more receiving solid singles pushes. The tag scene was deep too, with Harlem Heat, the Blue Bloods and Stars and Stripes all being fairly successful acts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Mid 90s WCW had a pretty deep undercard. Hogan's buddies were overpushed, but you still had guys like Badd, DDP, Wright, Konnan, and more receiving solid singles pushes. The tag scene was deep too, with Harlem Heat, the Blue Bloods and Stars and Stripes all being fairly successful acts.

...none of those guys were really good though? Harlem Heat was really bad thanks to Stevie Ray, Badd was fine in the right matches, DDP hadn't developed, Konnan was never good and Alex Wright was extremely green.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CopywrightMMXI posted:

American Males

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
You idiot it's only to 7 repititions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

But that is 7