Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The beam staff beam is great for killing all specials (not Ogre) as long as you can afford a couple seconds to focus them down. Just fire the beam, put it on their head and stunlock them into oblivion.

I find it especially good for sweeping around trying to tag a skittering Gutter Runner.

You can left click while the beam is on them to fire a burst of single target damage. It'll kill Hookrats after a second of burn damage, they often hook me and immediately die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wizard's Tower is my group's new obsession. So far it seems to be the easiest to successfully finish with 3 tomes and 2 grims, plus it's actually pretty fun to play! Only defending one point at the end makes the finale pretty easy to do, at least on Hard difficulty.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Anybody know what the hail of arrows trait does to the beam staff?

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
Posts in this thread are swarming like rats in this game.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Post your tips & tricks for getting all the best loot, please.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Flavor Truck posted:

Post your tips & tricks for getting all the best loot, please.

stop caring about loot
play on hard
with friends and goons or competent people in general
fuse similar weapon types to get an upgrade of that weapon type (5 white swords = 1 blue sword)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
So I just got this, and thought I'd try the levels out with bots before jumping into an online game and dragging my group down due to my total ignorance (I played a lot of Left 4 Dead and so I know how much rage comes whenever anyone makes a single mistake).

My god the bots are terrible. Half the time they just sit there with their dicks in their hands while you bleed to death ten feet away.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Zephro posted:

So I just got this, and thought I'd try the levels out with bots before jumping into an online game and dragging my group down due to my total ignorance (I played a lot of Left 4 Dead and so I know how much rage comes whenever anyone makes a single mistake).

My god the bots are terrible. Half the time they just sit there with their dicks in their hands while you bleed to death ten feet away.

You're better off playing an easy/normal game with pubbies. The community isn't that toxic, where you need to practice before you play. Or just play hard modes with a group of goons - it's better to learn from trial by fire imho.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think the biggest thing is watching your back and your teams back. If you can get through fights without taking a bunch of damage you'll be alright. We were doing hard Gardens and had a pub WH. He used up every potion basically trying to stay alive, which cost us the run imo. In his defense not much health spawned, however i was the last to go down and i didn't use a healing item the entire run.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Really, even the rankest amateur (like, for example, me) can contribute significantly to a team by just taking a weapon set with a shield and focusing on bowling over all the clanrats/slaves and keeping stormvermin shove-staggered. Let the other team members do most of the actual killing. Once you get a handgun (if you don't have one already,) you'll become a very effective sniper against ranged specials and stormvermin too, once you get the hang of their animations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Are the loot drops and forging 100% random?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Drops are weighed towards your current class, each weapon you include in the forging has a 20% chance of being the result.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Me and two other goons queued up for a hard White Rat, and play Ranald's dice with the pubbies. After a couple of wipes, we finally get a real awesome guy playing sword and board + handgun Kruber with a vial rack and some other group oriented trinket I forget. Barely communicated, but did objectives and stayed with the group earning us a win. We decide to keep playing with him and try out a nightmare Smuggler's Run, and he switches to Bright Wizard. With the fireball staff. At the end of the run, he has the audacity to exclaim he never had to use a healing item. Motherfucker kept shooting us in the back with those fireballs that apply a burning damage over time effect and us goons had to use the loving healing items. :mad:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cool thanks! I'm getting lots of dwarf axes from running as elf and wizard so guess I've just been unlucky.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

prussian advisor posted:

Really, even the rankest amateur (like, for example, me) can contribute significantly to a team by just taking a weapon set with a shield and focusing on bowling over all the clanrats/slaves and keeping stormvermin shove-staggered.
Since there's apparently no tutorial and I've mostly been playing around with the Bright Wizard I didn't even realise you could shove until a tip told me I could.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 3, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Zephro posted:

Since there's apparently no tutorial I didn't even realise you could shove until a tip told me I could, and even now I'm not entirely sure how to do it. I think you hold down block and press attack? Can you shove as much as you want?

Attack while blocking=shove. It's main effect is to gain some space, because it staggers/trips rats. If you're carrying a shield, you'll bash instead, which is pushing on steroids and sends normal rats flying. You can also push while carrying sacks, tomes, bombs or whatever, together with a "talk to the hand" animation.

If you time it right, pushing can knock an assassin rat out of a leap.

Your limit is your stamina (the shields you see while blocking), which you also lose when you block a rat's attack. The maximum stamina depends on your weapon. Shields have a higher limit, then sword and shield, IIRC.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
The other day, my friends and I were playing Wheat & Chaff. We had a spot remaining and somebody summed up the attitude of the group when they said 'if we lose, it's the pubbie's fault :smug:'.

What followed was a comedy of errors. Either somebody was lagging behind or, on the contrary, would rush blindly ahead. Once, I missed an easy shot on Packmaster and was dragged away. A friend would pick a fight with a mob of Stormvermin and lose. At some point, we were all caught off guard by two Ratling Gunners... And each time, the pubbie was there to make up for our mistakes. That dwarf would come back to defend the straggler, revive the fallen and basically kept us from getting a full wipe.At the end, we delivered all the sacks but lost two people. We wanted to just let the two survivors escape but, once again, that dwarf charged into the horde of rats, knocked them around and revived the rest of the group. I rolled a 0 on gear that run but clearely rolled 7 on that 4th group member.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So I have a pair of Templar Rapiers and I am wondering which one to unlock their qualities:

Swift Slaying & Scavenger or Swift Slaying &Improved Guard.

I also have a Brace of Pistols with:

Hail of Doom & Skullcracker or Scavenger & Targeteer

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Two of my friends and I were just playing on normal last night with a bot (2 of us were new and probably pretty bad) and we failed Horn 3 times in a row. I know my one friend was having some connection issues, but that's still seems pretty bad.

I will say though that I've had several runs that were pretty much doomed to failure seemingly by RNG. Twice now (on normal) I've been in situations where 4-5 specials including a rat ogre spawn at around the same time and make short work of us. It's like everything is ok and proceeding as normal, and suddenly a rat ogre jumps out, one person is attacked by a gunner, one person is being dragged away by a packmaster, a poison guy is throwing poison bombs, and a horde of clan rats + commander are swarming over us. I think one of my least favorite combos happened last night when a packmaster dragged me around a corner (not very far, but out of the LOS of the team) while a swarm + rat ogre and commander charged the others. The packmaster stopped and strung me up right in front of a gunner who shredded me to nothing in seconds. My team never really even had a chance to rescue me. I know we're probably quite bad, but I'm not really sure what we could have done right then besides die or maybe start randomly throwing bombs around hoping for the best.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Probably the first one for both. I don't remember what skullcracker is though.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Drythe posted:

Probably the first one for both. I don't remember what skullcracker is though.

5-15% to headshot regardless of where the hit is.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

SkySteak posted:

I also have a Brace of Pistols with:

Hail of Doom & Skullcracker or Scavenger & Targeteer

Targeteer is the 40% accuracy one, right? I'm a big fan of that on the pistols. It turns you into a jack of all traits who can snipe reliably, land shots on the move and still thin out hordes.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Targeteer is the 40% accuracy one, right? I'm a big fan of that on the pistols. It turns you into a jack of all traits who can snipe reliably, land shots on the move and still thin out hordes.

Yes that would be the 40% less spread one.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
40% less spread makes a huge difference, if you stand still for a second you can reliably land headshots from miles away.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Found two good ways to kill rat ogres today. One is have it spawn on the other side of a fence on Garden of Morr and just sit there with its head conveniently clipping through the fence to be headshotted to death. The other is to have it jump on top of your head (!) on one of the anchor platforms on White Rat and be unable to do anything while you stand underneath and chop it to death by slashing at its feet.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 3, 2015

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
What's the point of the arming sword? It blocks less than shield and other weapons, and doesn't really seem to do more damage (i.e. you routinely have to hit ordinary rats twice in normal).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I think the one hand weapons without shield let you move faster.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

SlyFrog posted:

What's the point of the arming sword? It blocks less than shield and other weapons, and doesn't really seem to do more damage (i.e. you routinely have to hit ordinary rats twice in normal).

you move faster than the other weapons, so you can dodge around a bit more and avoid damage. I'd like it much more if it either did more damage and/or it let you move around almost at elf speed so you could sub in as a pseudo-elf mobile sweeper and clean up random rats off the ranged characters.

Also I just had a game with some pubbies on nightmare - I had a blue mace and board as kruber, and did more damage than the mage...

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

xthetenth posted:

I think the one hand weapons without shield let you move faster.

Maybe you can run while blocking too? The rapier and the dual elf weapons do that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Two of my friends and I were just playing on normal last night with a bot (2 of us were new and probably pretty bad) and we failed Horn 3 times in a row. I know my one friend was having some connection issues, but that's still seems pretty bad.

I will say though that I've had several runs that were pretty much doomed to failure seemingly by RNG. Twice now (on normal) I've been in situations where 4-5 specials including a rat ogre spawn at around the same time and make short work of us. It's like everything is ok and proceeding as normal, and suddenly a rat ogre jumps out, one person is attacked by a gunner, one person is being dragged away by a packmaster, a poison guy is throwing poison bombs, and a horde of clan rats + commander are swarming over us. I think one of my least favorite combos happened last night when a packmaster dragged me around a corner (not very far, but out of the LOS of the team) while a swarm + rat ogre and commander charged the others. The packmaster stopped and strung me up right in front of a gunner who shredded me to nothing in seconds. My team never really even had a chance to rescue me. I know we're probably quite bad, but I'm not really sure what we could have done right then besides die or maybe start randomly throwing bombs around hoping for the best.

Honestly, it seems like you'll need a couple of white handguns at the very least. That'll take out those specials in an instant, which makes them a non issue (my group would have one person on the ogre tanking and everyone else would clear the area before helping).

Aside from that, you probably need to be ready to let loose with a bomb if it goes wrong. Getting surprised packmastered happens and lobbing a nade at the packmaster will give you breathing room.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Ulvirich posted:

Me and two other goons queued up for a hard White Rat, and play Ranald's dice with the pubbies. After a couple of wipes, we finally get a real awesome guy playing sword and board + handgun Kruber with a vial rack and some other group oriented trinket I forget. Barely communicated, but did objectives and stayed with the group earning us a win. We decide to keep playing with him and try out a nightmare Smuggler's Run, and he switches to Bright Wizard. With the fireball staff. At the end of the run, he has the audacity to exclaim he never had to use a healing item. Motherfucker kept shooting us in the back with those fireballs that apply a burning damage over time effect and us goons had to use the loving healing items. :mad:

That guy still baffles the hell out of me. He said he never plays Soldier, but did a drat good job. Then proceeds to literally burn all the good will away by lighting our asses on fire repeatedly.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

dogstile posted:

Aside from that, you probably need to be ready to let loose with a bomb if it goes wrong. Getting surprised packmastered happens and lobbing a nade at the packmaster will give you breathing room.

That raises a good question; how damaging are bombs to teammates on the higher difficulties? They can be great for saving someone getting overwhelmed on Hard or below, but I always hesitate on Nightmare.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Backhand posted:

That raises a good question; how damaging are bombs to teammates on the higher difficulties? They can be great for saving someone getting overwhelmed on Hard or below, but I always hesitate on Nightmare.

Improved bombs with a strength potion can kill your teammates from full health, IIRC (unfortunately I've only tried this one). Firebombs do a decent bit of damage also, but the bigger issue is their burn DoT which makes using ranged weapons impossible for a bit.

Unless you're running 2 grims, a regular bomb shouldn't be a big deal.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Basically, if the elf gets packmaster'd, throw the bombs.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

dogstile posted:

Honestly, it seems like you'll need a couple of white handguns at the very least. That'll take out those specials in an instant, which makes them a non issue (my group would have one person on the ogre tanking and everyone else would clear the area before helping).

Well, I was the soldier for most of the night and I still have the crappy starting equipment with the blunderbuss so that didn't really help. We probably just have to work on being a little more coordinated and focusing down the specials when they appear (and when it's possible to do so).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SlyFrog posted:

It's charge attack swings very fast and in a wide arc. How long you charge an attack does not affect it's effectiveness. You can keep very large groups stun locked by doing rapid charges.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Captain Oblivious posted:

How long you charge an attack does not affect it's effectiveness.

Is this true for all charging attacks?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
As far as I've been able to tell, yes.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Is this true for all charging attacks?

The only charge attack that obviously improves the longer you hold it is the conflagration staff, and that's more about increasing the AoE effect, not the damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Well, I was the soldier for most of the night and I still have the crappy starting equipment with the blunderbuss so that didn't really help. We probably just have to work on being a little more coordinated and focusing down the specials when they appear (and when it's possible to do so).

Yeah, early on its a bit rough, i'd say the handgun is probably the most useful item in the game. The dwarf has his crossbow though, so he should be able to take out specials if you tank the r'orge

• Locked thread