Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Helith posted:

Yeah, that's right.
It's a newspaper I despise and the news app algorithm is throwing up a few articles from it because it is one of the available publications in Australia even though it's not favourited.
I'd like to know if there's a way to remove it from the app, a way to say 'never show me articles from this again'.

There's a Mute Channel button in the share sheet menu inside articles, not signposted very well but it does work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Apparently Quick Reply only works with your passcode turned off?!??

What the hell kinda poo poo is that. Who doesn't use a passcode.
It does kinda make sense, otherwise people will be able to send replies from your device pretending it's from you. Does it ask you for Touch ID authentication or anything?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Really?! All I can do is select mute or the 👍 button

👍 is all you need

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

It does kinda make sense, otherwise people will be able to send replies from your device pretending it's from you. Does it ask you for Touch ID authentication or anything?

It doesn't even work when unlocked though.

Question Mark Mound posted:

You can do this no problem with iMessage though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

bronin posted:

Whatsapp is the de facto standard app for messaging in most European countries. So unless you only have friends with iPhones you use Whatsapp. There are lots of mobile plans without unlimited texts so why throw money at your carrier if you don't have to.

All my European friends use WhatsApp, yeah.

Content: do I need to let dark sky run in the background for it to do its thing?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Glad to see that the iOS thread texting arguments are just as terrible as the Android texting arguments. I was a little worried when I bought my iPhone that I'd have to give those up.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Wondering if anyone can give an app recommendation, or point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for an app that will take voice dictation, turn it into a text entry and automatically add a timestamp, and store it in some sort of text file that can be (not necessarily automatically) transferred to either a cloud folder or emailed or something (to eventually get it on a computer).

Bonus points if it can work through Siri.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The worst part of owning an iPhone is when I text someone and the bubble is green :negative:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A pain I know all too much.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Wondering if anyone can give an app recommendation, or point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for an app that will take voice dictation, turn it into a text entry and automatically add a timestamp, and store it in some sort of text file that can be (not necessarily automatically) transferred to either a cloud folder or emailed or something (to eventually get it on a computer).

I don't think any non-Apple app can integrate with Siri.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The worst part of owning an iPhone is when I text someone and the bubble is green :negative:

Nobody in my country really texts anymore, every carrier basically gives them away but everyone just uses Facebook or WhatsApp so it's very rare to get a green bubble these days

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Content: do I need to let dark sky run in the background for it to do its thing?
If you want it to be able to notify you of upcoming rain in your area without having to open the app, yeah.

Also if anyone knows, does turning on the barometer reporting drain the battery much? I'd love to be able to send back data if it genuinely will improve the already-drat-good hyperlocal reports, but not if it'll kill my battery or data usage. Similarly, is that kind of reporting more or less useless when you're indoors? I know nothing about weather other than rain being kinda wet.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have a friend with an iPhone but her messages come through green even though iMessage is enabled :iiam: :argh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Croc Monster posted:

I have a friend with an iPhone but her messages come through green even though iMessage is enabled :iiam: :argh:

Is it enabled on her end as well?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Yeah, that's actually what I meant. It's enabled on both our ends. I get blue from every other iPerson I know except her.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Croc Monster posted:

Yeah, that's actually what I meant. It's enabled on both our ends. I get blue from every other iPerson I know except her.

Does she get blue bubbles with anyone?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Yes, including from me. Both of us came over from Android, and IIRC there was some kerfuffle about iMessage and moving to/from Android, so it could be vestiges of that.

<Scooby-Doo>Looks like we have a mystery on our hands gang!</Scooby-Doo>

And...just texted her back and forth. Blue. Blue everywhere. :shrug:

Unity Gain fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 3, 2015

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Oh god outlook's focus inbox thing caused me to almost miss an important email. I might just switch back to the default client.

E: is there a reminders app that only shows me reminders due today? I keep accidentally checking repeating future events as done in the stock one.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 4, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

dik-dik posted:

Oh god outlook's focus inbox thing caused me to almost miss an important email. I might just switch back to the default client.

E: is there a reminders app that only shows me reminders due today? I keep accidentally checking repeating future events as done in the stock one.
In the Scheduled view in the stock app there's a separator between days and you can still mark things done in that view, if that's helpful at all.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

What the hell kinda poo poo is that. Who doesn't use a passcode.

Quite a few people I know. An ex didn't because she felt like it meant she was hiding something.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

dik-dik posted:

Fantastical does this and has a badge icon for reminders and events remaining in the day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Quite a few people I know. An ex didn't because she felt like it meant she was hiding something.

Michael Rogers just got a warm feeling in his heart and doesn't understand why.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Spread my rear end in a top hat, I have nothing to hide

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Can you dictate mail or a note to yourself? Well I just tested out "send an email to myself" and "make a note" and they seemed to work. Email takes a few steps though, since I have a few emails under my contact, then subject, then the email content. Notes just went to the content, but the time stamp is only in the list view...and will change if you edit the note at all. It did put it in my local notes folder though, I think there's a setting for that but I'm not sure, plus I'm still using the older note format (since I haven't updated my Macs to El Cap yet) so I'm not sure if there's any difference for the new one with regards to dictation.

Croc Monster posted:

Yes, including from me. Both of us came over from Android, and IIRC there was some kerfuffle about iMessage and moving to/from Android, so it could be vestiges of that.

<Scooby-Doo>Looks like we have a mystery on our hands gang!</Scooby-Doo>

And...just texted her back and forth. Blue. Blue everywhere. :shrug:
Tried the sign out and back in, or delete message thread troubleshooting steps? Can't think of anything else other than your or her data connection blowing or being non existent (like if you're on a call) when she texts you.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

japtor posted:

Tried the sign out and back in, or delete message thread troubleshooting steps? Can't think of anything else other than your or her data connection blowing or being non existent (like if you're on a call) when she texts you.

Never got that far because shorty after I posted it's all been working perfectly. I'm inclined to agree that it was some data connection issue (which she always has) and so a couple of things got sent/received as regular sms or something.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

japtor posted:

Can you dictate mail or a note to yourself? <and other stuff that might work>
Possibly, but this is the kind of thing I'd want to record maybe 50-200 entries per day, so fudging inconvenience gets multiplied. I've considered the note thing and maybe just saying the time before the actual "note", but would rather not have to do that. Or just creating a dummy contact and sending it texts (which I assume would add a time stamp, and I'd figure out the exporting thing later).

Mostly just wondering if anyone had heard of a canned solution to this. A non-exhaustive App Store search for things like "journal" and "log/logging" didn't bring up anything obvious.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
What's the best alternative for iSSH now? I love iSSH, it's still on my iPad Generation 1 (literally the first iPad), but I've since bought another, newer iPad and was hoping for a recommendation. Googling shows a few popular ones (Prompt, vSSH, and Reflection) just to name a few. But I was curious if anyone has any real hands-on experience/recommendations? :cheers:

ickna
May 19, 2004

eightysixed posted:

What's the best alternative for iSSH now? I love iSSH, it's still on my iPad Generation 1 (literally the first iPad), but I've since bought another, newer iPad and was hoping for a recommendation. Googling shows a few popular ones (Prompt, vSSH, and Reflection) just to name a few. But I was curious if anyone has any real hands-on experience/recommendations? :cheers:

Prompt has worked out really well for me.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ickna posted:

Likewise. It has a new (paid) version out that way I haven't tried, but I've also heard good things about that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
ServerAuditor is pretty good too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ickna posted:

Prompt 2 (the latest version) is great.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

~Coxy posted:

ServerAuditor is pretty good too.

Yeah, I've been using this for a while and had no problems with it.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

eightysixed posted:

I connect to a bunch of AIX boxes and use vSSH. I use Reflection on the desktop, and their iOS app seems decent, but the sweet unix friendly keyboard (pipes) of vSSH is hard to beat. And I always "set -o vi" so a handy esc key is nice.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Argh gently caress I didn't know iSSH was pulled. Shows how often I use it, but I used to quite a bit.

I remember agonizing between it and Prompt and I guess I chose poorly :negative:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

priznat posted:

Argh gently caress I didn't know iSSH was pulled. Shows how often I use it, but I used to quite a bit.

I remember agonizing between it and Prompt and I guess I chose poorly :negative:

It's not so much as it was pulled, per se, it's more that the developer stopped developing so it started breaking on all new iOS iterations. I'm glad I still have it on my iPad 1. With that being said, everyone in this thread is recommending something different, just like Google :v: I'm going to give Prompt a shot and see what happens, i guess :shobon:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

by the way, Ecoute is a pretty great little music app that has Shuffle by Albums (i.e., play an entire album, then randomly select a different album, repeat). It's pretty great. No idea about the other features since that's basically the only feature I care about in a music player, but for $1 it seems excellent.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Yeah, Ecoute is really good. Certainly the best music app I've used.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

eightysixed posted:

It's not so much as it was pulled, per se, it's more that the developer stopped developing so it started breaking on all new iOS iterations. I'm glad I still have it on my iPad 1. With that being said, everyone in this thread is recommending something different, just like Google :v: I'm going to give Prompt a shot and see what happens, i guess :shobon:

It was pulled from the store and doesn't seem to appear in my purchased list, so if you don't have a copy on your device or siting in iTunes you aren't probably getting it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Weirdness. I just updated ProCam 3 to some incremental update regarding long shutter exposures and now in the last hour it has Notified me to "Open" it and when i do it's either doing nothing or had an ad for something else in the app store.

How rude.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As I go along converting all my eBooks into Kindle format and uploading them one by one to Amazon's storage, I must ask: do any of the eBook apps for iOS have iCloud Drive support? As in, do they make an app-specific folder the way the iWork apps and Pixelmator do, that I can dump DRM-free ebooks into and they'll show up in the app? If they also synced location between devices that would be great, but it isn't necessary.

I wish iBooks would do this, given that it can read EPUB and all, but oh well. I looked at Marvin and it has a Dropbox-based implementation of this idea, but I don't want to use Dropbox. It feels like iCloud Drive should be able to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

As I go along converting all my eBooks into Kindle format and uploading them one by one to Amazon's storage, I must ask: do any of the eBook apps for iOS have iCloud Drive support? As in, do they make an app-specific folder the way the iWork apps and Pixelmator do, that I can dump DRM-free ebooks into and they'll show up in the app? If they also synced location between devices that would be great, but it isn't necessary.

I wish iBooks would do this, given that it can read EPUB and all, but oh well. I looked at Marvin and it has a Dropbox-based implementation of this idea, but I don't want to use Dropbox. It feels like iCloud Drive should be able to do this.

Well, calibre lets you do this in a batch with email to kindle. You just need a gmx account to send from and set it to convert and email and go to bed.