Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
junidog
Feb 17, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

Maybe increased separatism or spawns larger rebel stacks.

EDIT: As long as ____ country remains, you get fiercer patriot rebels or something.

What about an NI that doubles revanchism bonuses instead? Same problem of only coming into play once a country is beaten though, so maybe not much of a deterrent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Larry Parrish posted:

The only thing it deters me from is playing in North Africa really, so there's two big nations I never ever play because it's godawful spending all your ADM on conquest early game

This. I have frequently conquered North Africa as everything from the Ottos, to Italians, to Scandinavians and everything in between. That I have to set up a vassal to eat through it once I have finished Admin and Influence isn't really an obstacle. It just means conquering it directly early on is a no-go unless I abuse the distant overseas coring discount.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Can you see the decision in the list at all? That at least tells you what half of the conditions you need to be checking. But the conditions to see the decision are pretty straightforward: Be Hanoverian or Hessian primary culture, have your capital in the Westphalian region, don't be any of the other German formables, don't have custom nations on. Really you should be able to see it from the very first day you start the game.

Just started a fresh game a Cologne and changed their capital to Westfalen. Doesn't load on my decision list. Tried with both normal and historical nations set.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Wiz posted:

The question you need to ask yourself is "would this be any kind of deterrence to me, as a player?".

The answer to all of your ideas is "no". People hate hostile core-creation because it actually works as a deterrence.

Maybe find a way to make the actual wars against them more costly, not the after war part. Give them a discipline bonus or attrition/fort defense bonus or whatever the AI and the player actually take into account. A bigger galley cost/power bonus might move it from a land war to a naval war.
Right now the only thing to do with North Africa is to feed it to Aragon and then get the cores for free at Admin 10. Sadly there's no such clutch workaround for the poison cores in India and other regions.

If I am the Ottomans, I ignore the penalty too because it's distant overseas and I have silly bonuses anyway. Basically, we as players sometimes get around your bandaid fix, the AI never will. What happens is that Castile simply ignores the penalty, goes to war, cores everything and then falls behind in admin tech. The good thing is, it doesn't matter that much because Castile usually has little use for admin points (they hardly ever conquer in europe where coring costs are an issue).

What I am saying Wiz, you're current solution is, in my opinion, unfun and not working correctly. I am not saying I have the ultimate fix for this, but it would be cool if you could come up with a fun solution for this.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Details are escaping me but wasn't this update supposed to include a more fleshed out version of the region mechanics? I'd like to see something like that being used to push the AI away from blobbing in places it probably shouldn't blob. So Iberian nations may grab the odd Maghreb province (as actually happened) but will be a little less inclined to try and work that into a total conquest of Morocco because it's not in their native region. Not sure exactly what malus you would get to make it reasonable to not conquer much outside your region though, which kind of brings it back around to the original problem.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Maybe increased rebel support efficiency if it's your own culture group's rebels, and incentivizing the AI to use that? I know if they don't have a huge foothold there yet, when I support rebels in North Africa they often do pretty well.

And/or make the provinces never tick down autonomy on their own? And maybe even increased unrest for lowering it. I guess that's not so useful for North Africa since it's overseas anyway, but it might be for other places.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Maybe armies fighting distant overseas should get some negative modifiers so it's harder for people to just stomp them? Or the increased coring cost could be replaced with large bonus' to fighting in their own culture provinces, making invading them difficult but them weaker at invading/better at reclaiming lost provinces?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The absolute worst is when North African nations are successful and start expanding overseas and spreading their toxic cores to other places. In my Britain game atm Tunis has been very successful and taken Corsica/Sardinia, Malta, Sicily, and just took Rome :negative:. I even considered a no-CB war (too far away to fabricate a claim atm) to take Rome back before they get a core on it, because it's going to take like 500 ADM to core every time someone else takes it.

e: if anything Increased Core Cost imo should only apply to dominant culture/same culture group provinces. So taking North African provinces would be expensive, but really I don't see any reason why Tunis holding onto Rome for a few years should make it way more expensive for everyone else to conquer for the next 150 years, unless Tunis actually converts Roman culture as well.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 3, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

The question you need to ask yourself is "would this be any kind of deterrence to me, as a player?".

The answer to all of your ideas is "no". People hate hostile core-creation because it actually works as a deterrence.
wait but

Theswarms posted:

Maybe armies fighting distant overseas should get some negative modifiers so it's harder for people to just stomp them? Or the increased coring cost could be replaced with large bonus' to fighting in their own culture provinces, making invading them difficult but them weaker at invading/better at reclaiming lost provinces?

Tahirovic posted:

Maybe find a way to make the actual wars against them more costly, not the after war part. Give them a discipline bonus or attrition/fort defense bonus or whatever the AI and the player actually take into account. A bigger galley cost/power bonus might move it from a land war to a naval war.

These other penalties go away once you're big. Toxic cores stay toxic forever. If you don't like it, make a client state or a vassal. Everyone can vassalize the Muslim tech group. Even the Ottomans essentially vassalized them.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

In my last game the mamluks had expanded into northern africa. I took all their egyptian stuff for myself then force-vassalized & forcefed them all of the berber provinces. Problem solved.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

vyelkin posted:

The absolute worst is when North African nations are successful and start expanding overseas and spreading their toxic cores to other places. In my Britain game atm Tunis has been very successful and taken Corsica/Sardinia, Malta, Sicily, and just took Rome :negative:. I even considered a no-CB war (too far away to fabricate a claim atm) to take Rome back before they get a core on it, because it's going to take like 500 ADM to core every time someone else takes it.

e: if anything Increased Core Cost imo should only apply to dominant culture/same culture group provinces. So taking North African provinces would be expensive, but really I don't see any reason why Tunis holding onto Rome for a few years should make it way more expensive for everyone else to conquer for the next 150 years, unless Tunis actually converts Roman culture as well.

I think nations lose cores on provinces not of their culture if they're forced to release nations or return cores.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

In my last game the mamluks had expanded into northern africa. I took all their egyptian stuff for myself then force-vassalized & forcefed them all of the berber provinces. Problem solved.

You will stay pay for that, but in diplo points. I am pretty sure increased coring cost applies to diplo annexation.
This is why the Iberian Wedding event and the Spain decision are so hilarious, you feed Aragon all that toxic poo poo land then press a button and get the cores for free. So as a Castile player I don't give a poo poo about the core cost, I use my Admin to core France and Italy.

And no, nerfing the form nation decisions is not the way to solve this.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

It totally is. You should only inherit+core the parts of Aragon that are inside of the Spanish region.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tahirovic posted:

You will stay pay for that, but in diplo points. I am pretty sure increased coring cost applies to diplo annexation.
This is why the Iberian Wedding event and the Spain decision are so hilarious, you feed Aragon all that toxic poo poo land then press a button and get the cores for free. So as a Castile player I don't give a poo poo about the core cost, I use my Admin to core France and Italy.

mamluks aren't berber. Don't have the +coring costs.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Hmm, you should not be able to give land to a country you are in personal union with unless they have a core on it sounds like a good fix to me.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
What's wrong with that increased warscore cost for provinces idea someone posted earlier? That one sounded pretty reasonable to me. Makes it meaningfully harder to gobble them up, without the tears and agony of increased coring cost.

Maybe increased coring time, either as a separate idea or in addition. Have them contribute to overextension longer. Though that one has the same kind of problem of only helping once you've already lost.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 3, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How about give them a increased peace cost and overextension weight instead? Same coring cost, but you can't take as much development points in each war.

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007
Maybe increase coring time instead? I'd be hesitant to conquer anything that stuck me with 10 years of overextension.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
God drat, when the commonwealth forms, they are always such a gorilla. Stick a 120-strong stack on a siege in 1643 and laugh off the 5% attrition, why don't you.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
My current Venice -> Byz game produced one of the weirdest Europes I've ever seen in this game. I had nothing to do with any of that, except for the Balkans obviously.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's too small for me to tell -- did Austria PU and integrate france, or is that france up near brittany?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I don't know, maybe I'm just bad at the game (I am bad at the game), but the whole lucky nation mechanic just feels terribly unfair if you start as anyone other than one of the major players. I like starting small, but in EU4, that always means the midgame involves bumping up against countries who are both significantly larger than you and get strong global bonuses on top. God help you if you start outside of Europe, and your first contact is with a giant hugely technologically superior nation with magic bonuses who wants your land.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

My Japan game went great, I colonized all the unclaimed land in se Asia, gobbled up Brunei and the southern coast of china, and westernized by 1630. Now it's boring though, if I push harder into china they coalition me to death and I am not big or strong enough to take on Europe.

Thinking of starting a new game while I wait for fallout 4 to come out, and I would like to play a land power since I am tired of managing fleets. I'd like something not already all powerful like the Ottomans to avoid boredness from roflstomping everybody, but not so small that I can easily be gobbled up..

Any thoughts?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know, maybe I'm just bad at the game (I am bad at the game), but the whole lucky nation mechanic just feels terribly unfair if you start as anyone other than one of the major players. I like starting small, but in EU4, that always means the midgame involves bumping up against countries who are both significantly larger than you and get strong global bonuses on top. God help you if you start outside of Europe, and your first contact is with a giant hugely technologically superior nation with magic bonuses who wants your land.

Lucky nations can be turned off, you know.

But they really aren't that big of a deal -- just stay a little further away for them or wait on playing small nations until you have a better grasp of the game.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

GreyPowerVan posted:

Lucky nations can be turned off, you know.

But they really aren't that big of a deal -- just stay a little further away for them or wait on playing small nations until you have a better grasp of the game.
I know, I know, but I've been playing ironman to keep myself from cheating, which I otherwise did habitually.

Staying away doesn't really work, because they're good at eating their neighbors, so they always make their way to my border eventually. And even if I avoid direct conflict, there's alliances that get me dragged in.

And of course, I have to expand in their direction as well, or else I'm just weaker than I'd otherwise be when the borders finally meet.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 3, 2015

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

GreyPowerVan posted:

It's too small for me to tell -- did Austria PU and integrate france, or is that france up near brittany?

They got them into a PU in 1493, finally integrated in about 1720. The bit in the north is still Brittany. Denmark is the Hansa, and Scandinavia is the Teutonic Order. Burgundy still exists, Holland is extending toward Austria and already at Hessen, Russia never formed because Lithuania took Ryazan, Catalonia was punched out of Spain and Naples is independent and owning almost all of Italy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Strudel Man posted:

Lucky Nations are there just like missions and AI preset Idea groups so that the game generally flows somewhat historically. If you knock out any of the primary colonizers early in the game, for example, the New World starts looking really weird cause you end up with like Scottish Nova Scotia rubbing borders with Dutch Nova Hollandia.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Eej posted:

Lucky Nations are there just like missions and AI preset Idea groups so that the game generally flows somewhat historically. If you knock out any of the primary colonizers early in the game, for example, the New World starts looking really weird cause you end up with like Scottish Nova Scotia rubbing borders with Dutch Nova Hollandia.
Sure, but they're given to the nations that are in the best position anyway even absent luck bonuses, so it seems a little unnecessary.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Even with the Lucky Nation bonuses, really weird poo poo can happen in a simulation like this and it's not uncommon to see France split in two by Burgundy, England crushed into constituent nations by Scotland, Castille broken apart by Aragon, etc.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Wiz posted:

What kind of bonus will prevent North Africa from being all Iberian all the time?

A) It already does become Iberian, hostile core creation does nothing significant to stop this.

B) A potent military bonus in the early game, something like +Leader Shock or -33% Heavy Ship cost as a tradition to make it possible that the North Africans actually defend their coastlines through military means.

Wiz posted:

Maybe I dont understand the distinction the same way you do, but you shouldn't seem to want to 'deter' the player from conquering a given region so much as 'challenge' the player. And as is there is nothing at all challenging about conquering North Africa currently, it's just that people who want to optimize will eternally ignore it because any other target gives more reward for the same or less effort.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
There's an existing modifier that reduces years of Separatism. What if instead of a coring cost increase, they had more/longer Separatism?

+10-15 Years of Separatism would be a pretty potent deterrent in the early game where you probably don't have the Missionary Strength to convert quickly and can't really spare the manpower to put down revolts.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Strudel Man posted:

Sure, but they're given to the nations that are in the best position anyway even absent luck bonuses, so it seems a little unnecessary.

You'd think so, but if you turn lucky nation bonuses off, the major AI nations just collapse more often than not.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pellisworth posted:

There's an existing modifier that reduces years of Separatism. What if instead of a coring cost increase, they had more/longer Separatism?

+10-15 Years of Separatism would be a pretty potent deterrent in the early game where you probably don't have the Missionary Strength to convert quickly and can't really spare the manpower to put down revolts.

That still has the problem of being something that only helps a nation after they've lost vast swathes of land. At least the idea someone brought up earlier that they would spawn more rebels would be more likely to knock the land out of foreign hands. Instead of making the rebels last longer make them punch harder.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

derkaiser posted:

My current Venice -> Byz game produced one of the weirdest Europes I've ever seen in this game. I had nothing to do with any of that, except for the Balkans obviously.

You can't post this and not explain how the bloody hell did the Teutonic Order migrate to Scandinavia.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

420 Gank Mid posted:

That still has the problem of being something that only helps a nation after they've lost vast swathes of land. At least the idea someone brought up earlier that they would spawn more rebels would be more likely to knock the land out of foreign hands. Instead of making the rebels last longer make them punch harder.

Rebels lasting longer and hitting harder makes them more likely to overthrow their conquerors, especially in the early game where manpower is precious.

Also it would mean a Berber player would actually benefit since they could get their land back by supporting rebels and then using the intervention CB. This would also add the first real reason to support rebels other than farming out the cheevo for it.

My real opposition to hcc is a desire to make Tunis more than an Ottoman buffer state.

Of course the paradox response to any complaints is a tear stained middle finger so none of this matters.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 4, 2015

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I really like the idea of higher rebellion chance/harder hitting rebels. It does a much better job of simulating a hostile and restless population.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I've seen Morocco survive combined Iberian invasions in multiple playthroughs because a stack of Noble Pretenders parked themselves on top of Tangiers right before war broke out and it severely disrupted anything they landed in North Africa. It would definitely make it easier for players to take back cores in North Africa too.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

You'd think so, but if you turn lucky nation bonuses off, the major AI nations just collapse more often than not.
More often than not? I always used to play with them off, and that certainly wasn't my observation.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It's "successful", and the sentence doesn't make much sense to begin with. I don't know what that "lately have given" is doing there, but it's preventing me from playing any further! Fix it, or I'll rebel flag you guys so hard! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh yeah, the "Agressive Expander" achievement needs two g's too, that's been bothering me for a while since it's like my most recent unlocked and I see it every time I launch the game.

• Locked thread