Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

I still don't get why fixed shower heads exist. (I've only seen and had to use one in China.) Even if you only have people of the same height in the household, how do you effectively wash your rear end and balls without a detachable shower head?

You kind of have to immitate goatse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CopperHound posted:

You kind of have to immitate goatse.

Hmm I still don't quite get it. Do you have a picture that would explain it?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jerry Cotton posted:

I still don't get why fixed shower heads exist. (I've only seen and had to use one in China.) Even if you only have people of the same height in the household, how do you effectively wash your rear end and balls without a detachable shower head?

edit: This was not the china.jpg thread whoops.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

EoinCannon posted:

This is the beach house of Barrie Marshall of Denton Corker Marshall architects.
It's probably more odd than terrible, I can't decide if I like it or not.

http://architectureau.com/articles/phillip-island-house-by-denton-corker-marshall/

Christ, the inside is even more oppressive than the outside. This looks like something from Noveria in Mass Effect.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The only way to salvage that would be to put a disappearing gun in the courtyard.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Was Vivos Europa too grand? Try Vivos Indiana.

Spot the problems.

quote:

Vivos Indiana is a one of the most fortified, nuclear hardened shelters within our network, located within a one-day drive from anywhere in the Midwest and the Eastern seaboard of America. Built during the Cold War to withstand a 20 megaton blast, within just a few miles, this impervious underground complex accommodates up to 80 people, for a minimum of one year of fully autonomous survival, without needing to return to the surface.

Like a very comfortable 4-Star hotel, this massive shelter is tastefully and comfortably furnished and decorated, completely outfitted, fully stocked with food, toiletries, linens, medical supplies, a one year supply of fuel, a deep water well, NBC filtration systems, geothermal heating and cooling, bedroom suites, full size showers and bathrooms, a theater area, dining area, lounge area, exercise equipment, kennels, a garden area for fresh vegetables, laundry area, abundant storage areas, ATV's, bicycles, tools, a workshop, security devices; and, just about everything else that may be needed to ride out virtually any catastrophic event. You only need to bring your personal clothing and medications. We've thought of everything else!

Far from any known nuclear targets, this shelter is also strategically located a safe distance away from the New Madrid fault line, the Mississippi River, and all oceans that might cause submersion as a result of a tsunami-type event. The site is also surrounded by excellent farming, fishing, hunting and water resources.

Vivos Indiana members include active duty and retired military officers, police, combat veterans, security experts, doctors, nurses, surgeons, psychologists, caregivers, nutritionists, mechanics, electricians, plumbers, farmers, lawyers, pilots, teachers, computer and internet professionals, chefs; as well as experts in hospitality, housekeeping, transportation, banking, finance, accounting, management, strategic planning, radio communications, and much more. Join this well-rounded group of like-minded individuals, of all ages and you will have one of the best chances of survival.

Vivos Indiana provides an immediate solution for events that may occur tomorrow, or at anytime in our future. Learn more about this shelter and you won't want to be anywhere else at the moment of truth!

$35,000 One Time Charge for Adults. $25,000 for children.

I'm loving the kennels. If there's one thing a dog or cat wants it's to be cooped up in a tiny bunker for the rest of its life. Also, better hope you brought enough medication for the rest of your life.

Edit: If I'm reading that plan right there are only two showers for 80 people.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 2, 2015

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Nckdictator posted:

Was Vivos Europa too grand? Try Vivos Indiana.

I see one air intake, 1 exhaust vent. It'd go down hard to the Tire Fire Crew. It doesn't appear to be a Nike/Sprint missile base, or a titan base. Near as I can tell it appears to be an old AT&T telecom base, or a "Continuance of governance" base. They've done a much better job keeping this one secret, in that I've been looking for 10 whole minutes on google and haven't found it yet.

I will though

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

shut up you are drunk

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

I see one air intake, 1 exhaust vent. It'd go down hard to the Tire Fire Crew. It doesn't appear to be a Nike/Sprint missile base, or a titan base. Near as I can tell it appears to be an old AT&T telecom base, or a "Continuance of governance" base. They've done a much better job keeping this one secret, in that I've been looking for 10 whole minutes on google and haven't found it yet.

I will though

I really love this Fire Tire Crew thing. :allears: Like the Lifehack thread's Enrique. Speaking of whom, I'm sure they could just have Enrique shut the vents to prevent Fire Tire smoke from flustering the broads and kiddies in their hidey hole. Thanks Enrique.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

80 people and a grand total of 80 books. People from the outside aren't a threat to this complex, but the people inside it sure are. Think the Shining but 20 Jack Nicholsons.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

80 people and a grand total of 80 books. People from the outside aren't a threat to this complex, but the people inside it sure are. Think the Shining but 20 Jack Nicholsons.

Pretty sure this is/was the real estate listing for it

http://www.amestowergroup.com/#!historic-communications-bunker/c17dq

BowreeBookstore
Oct 29, 2015
Anyone who did not grow up staring in awe at the AT&T Long Lines building was deprived as a child.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That common area has all the charm of an airport lounge.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BowreeBookstore posted:

Anyone who did not grow up staring in awe at the AT&T Long Lines building was deprived as a child.

The AT&T Long Lines building looks like something from Judge Dredd and that's exactly why it loving rules.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Uncle Enzo posted:

I will though

If civilization ever comes to a violent end in our lifetimes, I hope you survive it so you can fulfill your dream of smoking rich people out of their bunkers.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Vernii posted:

If civilization ever comes to a violent end in our lifetimes, I hope you survive it so you can fulfill your dream of smoking rich people out of their bunkers.

I agree. It would make him a very happy man.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yep thats the one. Thanks!

Still ongoing... I realized why I stopped reading it, I got caught up to the present and really that thing needs to be read in batches.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Vernii posted:

Vivos, Indiana

Found It

It's an old AT&T Long-Lines bunker in Orleans, Indiana. It was sold in ~2006 off MissileBases.com:

MissileBases.com in 2006 posted:

Orleans, Indiana
Hardened Underground Communications Vault on 3.21 acres, 1960’s vintage nuclear war-proof communications center with 9,589 sq. ft. usable floor space. Hardened 24” thick walls and ceilings with 2’ to 4’ of earth over with metal shielding around entire structure, heavy blast doors, air vents with filters and blast valve closure mechanisms. 3 phase grid power to site, plus a large 225-230 KW generator in place. 20’ by 20’ above-ground entry with man doors and a push-button commercial over-head door with electric hoist to move equipment in and out. Lots of original equipment in place and functional. Asbestos has been removed. Tower has been removed. Dry and relatively clean.

You can see there was an old long-line bunker in Orleans on the map at coldwarcomms Here. The Indiana Bunker is known to be ~10,000 sq feet in area. The Pulaski bunker is only 8200 sq feet, not big enough.

You can see the wayback archive for the Orleans Site Here. The coordinates are given in the url to the image (that you can't load) called "Map of the area".

The coords it gives are 38.674722, -86.354722 . Anyone want to take some photos? Liepsic Road doesn't have google street view.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

I see they've sprung for only the most advanced in security communications, a CB radio.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

So basically they'll all kill each other when they run out of power/fuel because some rear end in a top hat won't stop using the treadmill every morning.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ghosthorse posted:

So basically they'll all kill each other when they run out of power/fuel because some rear end in a top hat won't stop using the treadmill every morning.

Pretty sure that's actually the generator.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

e: "Please advise me on proper balls-washing techniques in third-world showers TIA" - Jerry Cotton

I never remove the showerhead from the stand while showering and I can wash my butt and gentleman's region just fine.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ulvir posted:

I never remove the showerhead from the stand while showering and I can wash my butt and gentleman's region just fine.

Yes. There's an amazing force called gravity that allows water to run down to your body to your foul bits.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You might notice on the ends of your arms some prehensile attachments, these can be used to introduce soap and water to out-of-the-way areas.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

therattle posted:

Yes. There's an amazing force called gravity that allows water to run down to your body to your foul bits.

Yeah but what do you do when you have to wash your dog? Or heavens forbid, a cat? Fixed showehead seems just cumbersome to me - the great thing about the whole concept of 'a bathtub' is being able to easily wash stuff in it with a detachable showerhead on a rubber hose and not getting yourself wet / spilling water everywhere.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Shower / bathtub combinations are the worst of both worlds

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Yeah but what do you do when you have to wash your dog? Or heavens forbid, a cat? Fixed showehead seems just cumbersome to me - the great thing about the whole concept of 'a bathtub' is being able to easily wash stuff in it with a detachable showerhead on a rubber hose and not getting yourself wet / spilling water everywhere.

Oh, I have a detachable showerhead and it is indubitably useful for things like that, but I don't detach it when I wash myself.

Some bad architecture: I studied at the Judge Business School at Cambridge, which was located in the old Addenbrookes hospital. Lt looked kinda cool, but the use of internal space was really badly thought-out and inefficient. There is so much wasted space! You've got a walkway thingy running across the front of the building which serves no purpose, a huge atrium space, then the offices etc. The pictures revolves to show the whole space, much of it wasted.
http://misc.jbs.cam.ac.uk/360tours/4th-floor-balcony/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ulvir posted:

Nah you just got the chronic dirty rear end balls.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ITT: people with lovely balls.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
It kind of has a children's hospital thing going for it.

The Cambridge building, not the balls.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Jerry Cotton posted:

There is this wonderful invention called a loofah that you can use to wash just about anywhere!

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Here, have an educational a video on how to wash yourself with a fixed showerhead (With some bonus laundry tutorials in between
). It sounds like you might need it.
:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYF-qDopam0&t=627s:nws:

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 4, 2015

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Most showers are not designed around the need to wash a cat. As a cat owner, I'm ok with this.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
OH. MY. GOD. I can't see how any person could forego built-in Kevlar cat-bathing baffles in their shower and still have the audacity to call themselves civilized! It's just....

Where do you even live?

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

This is utterly horrifying.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The BBC put up an article today about postwar architecture:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34667034

As they point out most of the buildings in that list have been demolished or are about to be. The article includes old thread favourites like the Cumbernauld Town Centre and the Park Hill estate in Sheffield.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

the soap gets rinsed away just perfectly, actually. if it's a probelm for you might I suggest losing weight?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In London? Want to visit a Futuro house? Want to rent it for an event? Now's your chance.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Why, exactly, does taking a loving shower in whatever manner raise such a strong reaction from goons? This is not the first or the fifth time this same subject has cropped up in some thread in recent memory.

(it's a rhetorical question)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Naxuz posted:

Why, exactly, does taking a loving shower in whatever manner raise such a strong reaction from goons? This is not the first or the fifth time this same subject has cropped up in some thread in recent memory.

(it's a rhetorical question)

When you only do something once or twice a year, you tend to have strong feelings about it.

• Locked thread