Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steelninja
Sep 26, 2015
Just got back from voting, hope conway wins . :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
New poll in NH has Jeb in 6th, behind Trump, Carson, Rubio, Kasich, and Cruz. Phone posting so no link, but saw on TV. Also least favorable candidate save Trump.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:raise:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Well, not anymore. :smug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not really news to us at this point, but I love seeing headlines like this.

How's Fox reporting this?

oh ._.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Good Citizen posted:

It's almost like Trump is a liberal spy that read the post mortem of the 2012 election and saw it as the perfect road map to kill the GOPs national chances in 2016. His moves are almost too purely counterproductive.

He's the ultimate weapon.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

No elections here to vote for or revolutions to start.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Hillary wins and the first thing that happens after the election is called is Trump walks out on stage and high fives her it would be the greatest moment in modern politics.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Luminous Obscurity posted:

He's the ultimate weapon.

Trump wins the nomination, and at the presidential debates Hillary quietly flashes a queen of diamonds card at him. Donald's eyes go wild as his programming activates.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 3, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Radish posted:

If Hillary wins and the first thing that happens after the election is called is Trump walks out on stage and high fives her it would be the greatest moment in modern politics.

The world is too lovely for such a thing to happen :smith:

But dear god, imagine the GOP response. It'd be loving magical. Trump is pretty much a caricature of everything that is wrong with the GOP and is making them look in the mirror at their bigotry.

I wonder what insurgent DNC candidate the GOP would try to put in in 2020 or 2024 to attempt the same sort of coup?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I always thought it would be funny if when his handler called and said "How about a nice game of solitaire?" He just had a bad draw and couldn't complete the game, thus never saw the trigger card.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Well had one screaming match with a republican woman getting up in my face and yelling, escalating to me channeling my inner D&D troll.

Christ I want these bigots to just gently caress off. Don't vote, change your minds, drop dead, I don't care.

The tea party libertarian guy is infinitely preferable to dealing with these establishment GOP bigots here shrieking about gays and illegal aliens voting.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Plenty of municipal elections going on today, make sure to go vote and if you live in some hell hole that has all tea party candidates, vote for the least bad one.

Arlington County, VA. There are literally zero Republicans on my ballot. :v: There are a couple independents for municipal seats and a Green Party candidate for the State Senate, but yeah. It is great being in the minority bastion of Virginia.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

AlternateNu posted:

Arlington County, VA. There are literally zero Republicans on my ballot. :v: There are a couple independents for municipal seats and a Green Party candidate for the State Senate, but yeah. It is great being in the minority bastion of Virginia.

Downtown Richmond, so same here. There's one weird independent candidate challenging my Senator, but she's cool and won't lose. I'm just crossing my fingers and sacrificing a goat that the race across the river in Watkins' old district goes the correct and good way.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Iron Rose posted:

FPTP promotes moderation in politics, and limits the range of acceptable political ideologies in a given system. It's why, say, UKIP isn't more popular. It screws fringe leftist/rightist parties and generally produces either two or three mostly centrist parties.

Which is great, the entire system is build upon slow, moderate change in one direction or another and I have no problem with more radical candidates being effectively shut out of the political process.

I'm still catching up on the thread so I don't know if this has been adequately addressed but we can see how clearly this is false today. The GOP has a very large extremist wing that by all rights should be their own separate party entirely because of FPTP.

FPTP for all practical considerations is truly anathema to democracy and the democratic process because in a multiparty system your first choice will almost always benefit your last choice if it doesn't win. Voters are additionally punished for voting for backing popular candidates and a FPTP system with local ridings just results in an incentive to gerrymander them to benefit one party over another. It's undemocratic and just has horrible results that does not accurately reflect the will of the people.

CPG Grey has more.

You can avoid the problems of proportional voting benefitting fringe candidates with voting systems like Single Transferable Vote, just have a minimum threshold be required per district to get a vote. They'll never practically manage more than a token number of seats and even then, so what? You don't get to decide whether other people get represented if you want democracy.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

Well had one screaming match with a republican woman getting up in my face and yelling, escalating to me channeling my inner D&D troll.

Christ I want these bigots to just gently caress off. Don't vote, change your minds, drop dead, I don't care.

The tea party libertarian guy is infinitely preferable to dealing with these establishment GOP bigots here shrieking about gays and illegal aliens voting.

Perhaps your soul was a hefty price to pay, Fried Chicken.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think there's an election of some type here in kc today? But today is also the day of the royals world series parade. So nobody is voting.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

fknlo posted:

I think there's an election of some type here in kc today? But today is also the day of the royals world series parade. So nobody is voting.

Congratulations on your elections being ruled by people that will likely have their dinner before 4:30 PM.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

steelninja posted:

Just got back from voting, hope conway wins . :)

On my way to cast my vote for Conway now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

Congratulations on your elections being ruled by people that will likely have their dinner before 4:30 PM.

Yes, I live in America.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Wow the crazies are out in force today. I got mobbed by a bunch of crazy tea party people when I went to vote.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Had a second freeper type yelling at me who I just ignored, and just had the frankly bizarre incident of getting screamed and threatened about there not being enough parking

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Wow the crazies are out in force today. I got mobbed by a bunch of crazy tea party people when I went to vote.

At the polling place? Report them. It's a crime to do any kind of campaigning in or around a polling place.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Well I decided to check if Maryland had any voting going on (It doesn't).

But I did just sign up to be an election judge.

So there's that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Had a second freeper type yelling at me who I just ignored, and just had the frankly bizarre incident of getting screamed and threatened about there not being enough parking

Where are you running into these people?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

At the polling place? Report them. It's a crime to do any kind of campaigning in or around a polling place.

Nope! You are allowed to as long as you are 50-100 feet from the polling location
(50 for PCs with a candidate card, 100 for signs and individuals). As most polling locations are further inside buildings and not right at the door, that means you can basically do it right at the doors and be good.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

What are they so pissed off about?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Go vote, jerks.

It was all senior citizens at my polling place this morning. You'd think a year when there is lots of attention for a marijuana legalization amendment would have a good younger turnout, but I have a bad feeling it's gonna just be people over 60 making all the decisions again.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Where are you running into these people?

I'm working the election. Specifically I'm passing out the recommended candidate card so I'm 50 feet from the polling location, telling people to go vote and then giving them a list of candidates.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

wilderthanmild posted:

Yep literally right outside the door. They were handing out pamphlets of the weirdest poo poo too in hindsight I should have kept it and posted it here :(.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Gotta love an all mail in election. I voted last week. Too bad almost everything on the ballot was "we want to raise sales taxes to fund this private industry event center" or "we want to raise sales taxes so another city can make an assload of free money on our airport." And my favorite "we need to keep this pot tax money so we can increase funding for DARE, because that's definitely worked."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm working the election. Specifically I'm passing out the recommended candidate card so I'm 50 feet from the polling location, telling people to go vote and then giving them a list of candidates.

There's yer problem.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radish posted:

What are they so pissed off about?

I'm passing for democrats in a republican area of a republican state.

So basically go to the freep thread and that's their litany. Project veritas shows stolen elections, illegal aliens are voting and everything else, planned parenthood murders babies for profit, gays going into the wrong bathrooms to rape children and women after making Christians bake them a cake, Obamacare is weakness to Putin, etc etc etc

I get to be a punching bag for their insanity. I got caught off guard this morning and lost my cool, now I'm who gives a poo poo, but I'll probably get back to angry as the day goes on and I get tired

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

Nope! You are allowed to as long as you are 50-100 feet from the polling location
(50 for PCs with a candidate card, 100 for signs and individuals). As most polling locations are further inside buildings and not right at the door, that means you can basically do it right at the doors and be good.

In WV we now have signs telling you where that line is.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Well turns out election judges get paid just about what I make now. So I won't be losing money if I get selected.

Anyone ever been an election Judge?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today is the 46th anniversary of Richard Nixon first using the phrase "silent majority".

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm passing for democrats in a republican area of a republican state.

So basically go to the freep thread and that's their litany. Project veritas shows stolen elections, illegal aliens are voting and everything else, planned parenthood murders babies for profit, gays going into the wrong bathrooms to rape children and women after making Christians bake them a cake, Obamacare is weakness to Putin, etc etc etc

I get to be a punching bag for their insanity. I got caught off guard this morning and lost my cool, now I'm who gives a poo poo, but I'll probably get back to angry as the day goes on and I get tired

So even the "serious" establishment people like that lady are in on this kind of Freep nonsense enough to yell at people in real life?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Crain posted:

Well turns out election judges get paid just about what I make now. So I won't be losing money if I get selected.

Anyone ever been an election Judge?

Yeah I had to sub in as one last year, it's not bad though the clean up and paperwork and the like at the end is a drag if you are trying to get to the election party

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Radish posted:

So even the "serious" establishment people like that lady are in on this kind of Freep nonsense enough to yell at people in real life?

Maybe they're the abortion clinic rear end in a top hat types on vacation to be mean to voters instead of women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ripoff posted:

I feel like I need to start one of those petition.gov things to make Obama create a "Obama's last days in the White House" video like Bill did, and let him go all-out as much as he wants. He can use as many of my tax dollars as he wants, as long as he promises to go full Trollbama on it. :patriot:

Just have Obama going about his usual day and bring in Keegan-Michael Key as Luther to dance through the White House.

• Locked thread