Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

That would be part of seeding, and yes, that's exactly what I think should happen. The NBA's done the same thing just recently, and their divisions are larger than the NFL's.

The number of 8-8 teams and losing teams that have hosted playoff games went way the gently caress up after the 2002 realignment. They should have thought of the implications of realignment to playoffs, but they're the NFL and they're dumb.

In the NBA, the only thing that matters is your total record and what conference you're in, I thought... it's nothing at all like the NFL, and it would be better to compare the NFL to MLB playoff seeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Chilichimp posted:

In the NBA, the only thing that matters is your total record and what conference you're in, I thought... it's nothing at all like the NFL, and it would be better to compare the NFL to MLB playoff seeding.

That's not 100% accurate, until this year (last year?) winning your division guaranteed you a top 4 seed in the NBA.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

I thought they were thinking of changing the hosting rules, so the division leader still gets in but if the Wildcard team had a better record then they'd host it.

Make the WC team host if they have a two game lead or better, done and dusted.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No, it's perfect as is. If you're such an amazing wild card team, stroll into bad team's stadium and end them.

If you can't, then you weren't even the best team of the four in your division. It is you who are the bad team.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Kalli posted:

No, it's perfect as is. If you're such an amazing wild card team, stroll into bad team's stadium and end them.

If you can't, then you weren't even the best team of the four in your division. It is you who are the bad team.

Maybe the #1 seed should be on the road the whole way then, to prove how awesome they really are.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nail Rat posted:

Maybe the #1 seed should be on the road the whole way then, to prove how awesome they really are.

If there was a team worthy of hosting the #1 seed, then I'd agree! But when you're down to some 11 win wildcard team that lost its division by two games and a 9 win 4th seed who climbed to the top of cripple-mountain, then let them battle there on that mountain of cripples or something. I lost wherever I was going with this.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kalli posted:

Well I mean it does legitimately suck as a non-Pats member of the AFCe where you can potentially go 12-4 every year and literally have no chance at a home playoff game. Home playoff games are fun. I remember when the Jets had one back in 2002. :unsmith:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I just realized I'm arguing for a home playoff game for the Colts, so you know what, go ahead and change it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Kalli posted:

If there was a team worthy of hosting the #1 seed, then I'd agree! But when you're down to some 11 win wildcard team that lost its division by two games and a 9 win 4th seed who climbed to the top of cripple-mountain, then let them battle there on that mountain of cripples or something. I lost wherever I was going with this.

If it was a 9 win 4th seed, I'd agree. But an 11 win wildcard team being hosted by a 6 or 7 win division champion? First of all, it's ridiculous in a league where random lovely teams beat good teams all the time and home field is such a big deal. Secondly, it never happened before 2002, because the playoff system was designed for 3 wild cards, one of whom was hosting a game, and almost all the divisions were 5 teams. Now losing teams have hosted like 3 times in a decade. It's kind of silly.

And I say this as a fan of a team who will benefit from this this year. Although the AFC probably won't produce a 11 win wild card this time.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I agree. As a fan of a team that shares a division with the Patriots and has sole possession of the NFL's longest playoff drought, the NFL playoffs and their seedings are perfect.

Sometimes you get divisions like the AFC South. Sometimes you lose a game because your dumbass kickoff returner decided to run a ball out of the back of the end zone and ends up fumbling to your opponent. Football is fun because stupid poo poo happens all the time.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

That's not 100% accurate, until this year (last year?) winning your division guaranteed you a top 4 seed in the NBA.

Ah. Thanks for that.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Do away with all conference and division separations. Top twelve teams move on.

don't do this

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Ravens-Steelers
Browns-Steelers
Broncos-Chargers
Broncos-Raiders
Giants-Cowboys
Giants-Eagles
Eagles-Cowboys
Washington-Cowboys
Packers-Bears
Packers-Vikings
Seahawks-49ers

The divisional playoff spot is what fuels the best rivalries in the game. Desperately hating another team is like half the NFL fan experience.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SlipUp posted:

Ravens-Steelers
Browns-Steelers
Broncos-Chargers
Broncos-Raiders
Giants-Cowboys
Giants-Eagles
Eagles-Cowboys
Washington-Cowboys
Packers-Bears
Packers-Vikings
Seahawks-49ers

The divisional playoff spot is what fuels the best rivalries in the game. Desperately hating another team is like half the NFL fan experience.

EHEM! Falcons-Saints, bitch.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

SlipUp posted:

You'd still have that if the division winner got in, but was hosted by the wild card if they had a losing record (since there's no way in hell two losing teams would make it from the same division).

Also :lol: at Browns-Steelers being listed due to the division playoff spot. I don't think it's really much of an issue for the 1999-on browns so far.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
My dad always considered the Raiders the Steelers #1 rival :agesilaus:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

My dad always considered the Raiders the Steelers #1 rival :agesilaus:

Nah, the Raiders one true rival is Everyone Else in the AFCW.

(Mainly the Broncos though)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I thought it was the Patriots because of that thing that one time.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I wasn't alive for the 70s, but apparently Steelers/Raiders was a big deal

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Remember when Steelers/Browns wasn't a one sided boat race

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I wasn't alive for the 70s, but apparently Steelers/Raiders was a big deal

I've heard it was huge, especially down to the Immaculate Reception. Shame it's went away just because the Raiders were garbage for so long.

I like the Raiders/Chargers rivalry because it's both a division rivalry (which are always the best) and a state rivalry.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just happy people are finally talking about the Panthers :unsmith:

I feel like Charlotte and the rest of the Carolinas has finally bandwagon embraced the Panthers as our home team for the first time since the early 00's, and going to live games is a real experience. I heard something about the players complaining back in 2013 that playing at home didn't feel like an advantage to them, and you can tell the production and entertainment departments for Panthers really took that to heart.

Of course, winning helps a lot too.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I've heard it was huge, especially down to the Immaculate Reception. Shame it's went away just because the Raiders were garbage for so long.

I like the Raiders/Chargers rivalry because it's both a division rivalry (which are always the best) and a state rivalry.

It could be a stadium rivalry soon! :supaburn:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Ross Angeles posted:

Remember when Steelers/Browns wasn't a one sided boat race

When the Browns were the Ravens.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chilichimp posted:

EHEM! Falcons-Saints, bitch.

This.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

timp posted:

I feel like Charlotte and the rest of the Carolinas has finally bandwagon embraced the Panthers as our home team for the first time since the early 00's, and going to live games is a real experience. I heard something about the players complaining back in 2013 that playing at home didn't feel like an advantage to them, and you can tell the production and entertainment departments for Panthers really took that to heart.

Maybe it's because you're not allowed to stand up or take your shirt off in the stadium. Lame gameday experience.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ross Angeles posted:

It could be a stadium rivalry soon! :supaburn:

Will be especially rad if they're allowed to do colour-on-colour games. Or if the Chargers wear their alternate jerseys. Black and silver vs the powder blue would be the best-looking game in the NFL :swoon:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Despite being totally inept for my entire adult life, the Browns/Steelers head to head series is at 66-58. Just an 8 game lead for the Steelers

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Beat writers saying Luck looked absolutely defeated after the game and barely talked in the locker room

Congrats on breaking him, Indy

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chris James 2 posted:

Beat writers saying Luck looked absolutely defeated after the game and barely talked in the locker room

He's clearly a bust and should be traded immediately to the jets.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Chris James 2 posted:

Time to trade for Manziel.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Remember when it was a rivalry to see who was the shittiest team and not to see who was going to the play-offs?

Good times. :unsmith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chilichimp posted:

Remember when it was a rivalry to see who was the shittiest team and not to see who was going to the play-offs?

Good times. :unsmith:

This is one of those fun years where it could be either one in a couple of weeks!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Dude played his heart out and probably blames himself for the loss because of the last INT.

Maybe this week they will go no huddle more and let him call adjustments at the line since that's how they got back into it. Too bad Hilton didn't step up to make any tough catches, he had his hands on some passes that he needed to pull down to help the team.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

timp posted:

It's hard when you're a small market team in a city with a million transplants and also have only been around 20 years (so there are still a lot of natives who are Redskins/Falcons fans). The Bobcats had the same problem, though there were many, many complications on top of that. I agree that it feels great to see the Panthers supported like this (along with the Hornets being back in their rightful place and experiencing a similar boost).

e: In light of what I just posted, I gotta say I've always found it funny just how many Panthers fans seem to be on TFF. It's been like that for years, too, so it's not like the floodgates opened when the team got better.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 3, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hot take: The Panthers are Cool and Good.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Agreed. That take is hot. Too hot for this forum. Leave.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Chris James 2 posted:

Denver is going to break him even more :unsmigghh:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

More like poo poo take.

There have always been a pretty big number of Panthers fans here though it seems. Probably more than Saints fans. We've tended to stay pretty constant at least. Atlanta fans have had some notable... departures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
PFT finally came up with a good term for the phenomenon that most teams are really bad after they lost to the Patriots:

"post-Pats-partum depression"

• Locked thread