Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Brannock posted:

It's still absolutely baffling that Harper actually did away with the goddamn census.

But it's not as important as the most fascinating policy issue of our times: weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It's easier to control the message when there is no possibility of an independent way to fact check where he was taking us.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

PT6A posted:

Next to his?! Please clarify why urinal etiquette was violated, and by whom.

It was a crowded restroom. As I was going in I noticed his earpiece bodyguard guy at the door. There were a few urinals available, but all single spaces between two dudes (no etiquette was breached). I spotted the gross haircut and kind of gravitated towards Harper and set up next to him. I didn't muster up the courage to size him up. A lost opportunity, truly.

Tin Hat posted:

Hang on, was he there with family or friends, or was he just going to the movies alone and eating hot dogs?

I think I only saw him with his kids once or twice. Never with his wife. Most of the time he would show up with an older male friend of his (and the 5 to 6 burly super-obvious ear-piece bodyguards). I don't think I actually ever served him food, but my girlfriend did and said he was awkward as gently caress.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

The fact is that, no thanks to their policies, Canada weathered the 2008 crisis decently if you measure it by how many CPC voters fared. I don't for a second believe Trudeau would've done worse, and I think in an alternate reality where he were PM, he may well have done better, but I can't say that the CPC were "loving terrible" either. Refusing to acknowledge that is one significant step toward handing the CPC another victory.

None of the reasons Canada fared better than other countries in 2008 had anything to do with Harper or his policies.

Brannock posted:

It's still absolutely baffling that Harper actually did away with the goddamn census.

It's not, when you consider that damaging government's ability to govern effectively strengthens the argument that government is inherently incompetent.

See also: http://ipolitics.ca/2015/10/11/kevin-pages-pre-election-fiscal-warning-the-process-has-been-completely-broken-2/

tl;dr: The government cut spending, but doesn't actually know what they cut spending on.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PT6A posted:

The fact is that, no thanks to their policies, Canada weathered the 2008 crisis decently if you measure it by how many CPC voters fared. I don't for a second believe Trudeau would've done worse, and I think in an alternate reality where he were PM, he may well have done better, but I can't say that the CPC were "loving terrible" either. Refusing to acknowledge that is one significant step toward handing the CPC another victory.

That's not true though, at all. The Conservatives only had a minority government back then and couldn't enact their entire agenda: what "saved" Canada from the worst of the 2008 crisis were previous policies that the Conservatives didn't have the power to reverse yet.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's not true though, at all. The Conservatives only had a minority government back then and couldn't enact their entire agenda: what "saved" Canada from the worst of the 2008 crisis were previous policies that the Conservatives didn't have the power to reverse yet.

In support of this, it's worth remembering that as Reform Party head Harper argued for bank deregulation and passed some when he came to power in 2006, including things like letting US mortgage insurers into the Canadian market, which paved the way for no down payment, interest only mortgages. That's a direct contributor to our current housing bubble. And people seem to forget that Harper's initial response to the death-spiral of the American economy was to suggest cutting spending, to avoid the dreaded deficit. It's only after the opposition attacked and threatened to bring down the government, which triggered the coalition crisis and the prorogation, that the Conservatives rolled out stimulus measures to maintain their hold on power.

E: eliminating the per-vote subsidy was the other big issue at the time, but they got that one in the end.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 3, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Brannock posted:

Not really, according to people that hate the long form census it's a waste of time that you can make stuff up on if you're so inclined, and an invasion of privacy. My parents apparently have these views, it's fun talking to them about politics while at Thanksgiving dinner.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't think this has been mentioned yet but in a piece about the House of Lords last weekend, John Oliver incorrectly used a picture of Kevin Vickers.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Brannock posted:

Getting rid of it was not surprising in itself (it was profoundly stupid, but not surprising given Harper's policies), the baffling part was replacing it with a more expensive, less reliable survey.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jorghnassen posted:

Getting rid of it was not surprising in itself (it was profoundly stupid, but not surprising given Harper's policies), the baffling part was replacing it with a more expensive, less reliable survey.

Did it tell him what he wanted to hear? Cause if it did, I think we're about to be unbaffled.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Jorghnassen posted:

I might be wrong about this but as I recall they tried to bury the news of getting rid of it by putting it in some obscure newsletter the friday before a three day weekend or something. When people actually noticed they developed their spin about it being "mandatory" and then shat out their voluntary form to match the spin. I think the plan was always to quietly get rid of it with no replacement. When the story got a lot more coverage and outrage than they expected they had to come up with a solution that still kept it dead and matched their rhetoric but made it look not so bad.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Baudin posted:

Not really, according to people that hate the long form census it's a waste of time that you can make stuff up on if you're so inclined, and an invasion of privacy. My parents apparently have these views, it's fun talking to them about politics while at Thanksgiving dinner.

Ask them if they prefer that their local school district set taxation based on actual data or what the trustee in charge of the finance committee thinks the community demographic is made up of based on who he sees at Tim Hortons on the Wednesday mornings he stops in for a breakfast sandwich.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Wow Kevin Vickers Canadian hero. Next up a goon montage of Wayne Gretzky and that pic of jtf2 leading out their Arab hostages out of the back of an American cargo plane.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cultural Imperial posted:

Wow Kevin Vickers Canadian hero. Next up a goon montage of Wayne Gretzky and that pic of jtf2 leading out their Arab hostages out of the back of an American cargo plane.

Remember that time Kevin Vickets and Wayne Gretzky burned down the white house and won the war with America which earned us our progressive health care system proving that we are both a real country and better than the USA?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I'm sure he'd kick an rear end or two
That's what Kevin Vickers would do

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

Remember that time Kevin Vickets and Wayne Gretzky burned down the white house and won the war with America which earned us our progressive health care system proving that we are both a real country and better than the USA?

Thank you for reminding me that Gretzky endorsed Harper. I had forgotten and it's much funnier now.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Cynical support of CI's iconoclastic bullshit requires at least a mention of peacekeeping.

Edit: hope you enjoy being in Ezra Levant's company.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tom has made a public appearance.

http://twitter.com/22_Minutes/status/661549677708488704/video/1

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I don't think this has been mentioned yet but in a piece about the House of Lords last weekend, John Oliver incorrectly used a picture of Kevin Vickers.

The House of Lords, a group you know so little about you didn't even realize this wasn't the British House of Lords. :v:

With John Oliver's show its tough to tell if that's a fuckup or an Easter egg.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Too little, too late.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I don't want the government to know how many toilets I have

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

angerbeet posted:

SMART WATER METERS WILL TELL THE GOVERNMENT WHEN I POOP.
Do you think the government needs to know when you poop??? Sign my petition against dangerous water meters that will poison out water supply with ionizing wifi.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

SMART WATER METERS WILL TELL THE GOVERNMENT WHEN I POOP.
Do you think the government needs to know when you poop??? Sign my petition against dangerous water meters that will poison out water supply with ionizing wifi.

angerbeet posted:

I want to laugh at this, but I know these people.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

They already know.

They just look at the data the NSA has about increased cellphone use and they correlate that with you on the toilet.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Can someone design a plug-in for the Awful app similar to the one someone designed for comment sections which just replace everything with "faaaaaaart" except do it for all of CI's posts

Because every one of his posts is a poo poo post.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

There was a script for some SH/SC poster that replaced all of his posts with entries from some computer wiki, that was both useful and informative.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MA-Horus posted:

Can someone design a plug-in for the Awful app similar to the one someone designed for comment sections which just replace everything with "faaaaaaart" except do it for all of CI's posts

Because every one of his posts is a poo poo post.

Here's a Tampermonkey script to do that:

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name         SomethingAwful CI Post Enhancer
// @namespace    http://your.homepage/
// @version      0.1
// @description  Replace CI Posts with "faaaaaaart"
// @author       sliderule
// @match        http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php*
// @grant        none
// @require      http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.js
// ==/UserScript==

$('.userid-64202').each(function() {
    $(this).parent().find('.postbody').html('faaaaaaart')
});

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Since we're on the subject of patriotic stupidity, it appears that Canadians have finally surpassed their southern neighbors when it comes to being delusional about their country:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/11/02/move-over-america-canada-is-the-land-of-the-free/

quote:

According to a new report from the Legatum Institute, a think tank based in London, 94 percent of Canadians believe they have the freedom to live their lives as they choose, while roughly 92 percent believe the country is a good place for immigrants. Canada, the report found, is the freest country in the entire world. It’s also the most tolerant of immigrants.

We're the freest, best country on earth by virtue of having the most ignorant population! Wheeee! :chord:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
given the ignorance -> bliss ratio we must surely be the happiest though

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Canadians have long had a strange inferiority/superiority complex feedback loop, the dirty little secret is we're really just slightly toned down Americans (and not by much).

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Rime posted:

It’s also the most tolerant of immigrants.

Who cooked up these stats considering ~37% of people voted for the two parties which ran on platforms consisting primarily of anti-Muslim rhetoric.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tipps posted:

Who cooked up these stats considering ~37% of people voted for the two parties which ran on platforms consisting primarily of anti-Muslim rhetoric.

Maybe those people believe that Canada is a good place for immigrants but they don't want it to be.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Many conservatives want it to be a good country for immigrants, and they believe it is, just not for immigrants who follow the bad religion.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tipps posted:

Well you'd have to go check the stats for other countries really. 'Most tolerant of immigrants' does not rule out 'actually not that tolerant of immigrants'.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

DynamicSloth posted:

Canadians have long had a strange inferiority/superiority complex feedback loop, the dirty little secret is we're really just slightly toned down Americans (and not by much).

That's why CI's posts aren't shitposts. Canadians are the shitposts.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any talk of dumping Mulclair for the election fallout?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The next election is in 2019. There's no particular urgency to change leaders right now.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lmao, the greens bribed hyer to cross the floor

quote:

Green Party topped up Bruce Hyer's House of Commons salary

The Green Party quietly paid an additional “stipend” on top of a House of Commons salary to a former NDP MP who became Green deputy leader.

Bruce Hyer, defeated in last week’s election, admitted he was paid extra money by the party to perform additional functions in the position, even though Green leader Elizabeth May didn’t take additional funds for her work in the top job.

Hyer, first elected as a New Democrat in 2008, left the NDP caucus in 2012 over his support for ending the long-gun registry, then sat as an independent. He joined the Greens in December 2013 and was named deputy leader shortly after, becoming the second-ranked official in a caucus of two.

Neither the Green Party nor Hyer would say how much additional money he took home on top of his $167,400 MP salary.

“I got a stipend to be the deputy leader and do extra work,” said Hyer.

He said the extra payment was fair because he was required to perform additional duties for the party. “It was extra work and extra responsibility.”

Hyer noted that the officials in other parties, such as House leaders, whips and parliamentary secretaries, also receive additional payments on top of their base MP salaries.

The Green Party never publicly disclosed it was paying additional money to Hyer until asked about it by the Citizen.

Spokesman Julian Morelli said the amount paid is private information and declined to provide the figure.

“He was brought on as deputy leader to perform tasks, work on weekends, work outside his normal workload as an MP,” Morelli said.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Bruce was an OK MP until he picked the long gun registry of all things as his hill to die on. He used to run a few different wilderness outfitting businesses so I can sort of see where he was coming from on it, but I think he misjudged how much support he'd get from his rural constituents vs how many of constituents only voted for him because they support the NDP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

lmao, the greens bribed hyer to cross the floor

quote:

“He was brought on as deputy leader to perform tasks, work on weekends, work outside his normal workload as an MP,” Morelli said.

EMay wouldn't be making the extra cash from being party leader because the Greens don't have party standing. So while yes, other parties do get these sorts of stipends, the fact that Emay doesn't get special Green Party cash while he does makes this pretty much a loving bribe, extra work needed to be done aside. Given that he was almost immediately appointed deputy leader also makes that entire process shady. It should be pointed out though that any such crossings to a party that can appoint MPs to positions where they get paid more can also effectively bribe with public cash, but at best you can assign them as committee chair (11.7K) without getting other members pissed.