Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Malcolm XML posted:

what else is left? birmingham? manchester? literally no jobs.

Incorrect, though we have accidentally insulted a large US financial institution because they thought our standard rate was insultingly low. Currently we are charging them the minimum they would accept, and they are the highest rate we charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rjmccall posted:

so joining a program can have a ton of benefits. but always remember that finishing your program is only relevant if it's a phd and you actually want to be an academic

amen

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Wheany posted:

also if you like money. afaik, coders don't get six figgies in europe.

they do?

well, if you work for

- finance
- a company in london
- a company (american) with an office in london

you won't get it working for local startups (40-60k) and the further away from london, the cost of living is substantially lower, so usually a lower rate.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
oh and contracting. there is a lot of mercenary work in london.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

jre posted:

I know folk at both , Amazon Edinburgh good to work for ( yes really ), Skyscanner very good.

there was Cisco, there was HP, there is Amazon, Fan Duel and there is Skyscanner. there's a little startup survival club that was kept going by the university for many years. they still sponsor an incubator or two. edinburgh does not have a critical mass. there isn't that much competition for hiring, and every year the universities pump out a plethora of reasonably competent graduates, many of whom don't exactly want to leave edinburgh. it's a nice place to live. consequently, well, moving to london from edinburgh more than doubled my salary.

it's a beautiful university town, a city the size of a town, with the mentality of a village. i do miss going down to the pub and it being full of grad students working on weird architectures, people working on medical imaging. a city so small that most of the nerds knew each other. for some reason or another i knew a lot of debian developers when I lived there. only a handful of people working on web app dev ops. if you wanted a bunch of cheap devs to work on weird poo poo, edinburgh would be a good place to hire them. meanwhile in london, it's the opposite. nearly everyone works on web apps or mobile apps running on aws, although a few old guard still own machines.

i really liked edinburgh for the ~12 years I spent there, but it's somewhere you could change your life by moving to but not by staying there. london on the other hand is a merciless pit of despair but the money (if you can get it) is better, and way more people from outside the UK come to visit. to be bored of london is uncommon, to be tired or broken by it, is. if you want a reasonably well paid job compared to a low cost of living but without much room for growth or change, edinburgh is nice.

back to edinburgh;

- when your company goes under you can't walk into a new job quickly.
- there is a large pool of recent unemployed graduates in the city. (it's the sort of place where the person behind the bar will have more degrees than you. the university is infectious).
- amazon is ok but i met a lot of people who escaped it out of boredom. they can't talk about their work, they can't work on projects outside. if you enjoy programming without getting paid for it then amazon may not be a good fit.
- skyscanner, well, i'm unsure what i can say about a former employer without being libelious. it was not a healthy place to work for, I was seeking medical advice during my employment there.

there is more i could say about other employers in edinburgh but i have no recommendations of places to work there.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i just want to be a coding mercenary...

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

tef posted:

you won't get it working for local startups (40-60k)

is that even close to enough? isn't london astronomically expensive?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

jony neuemonic posted:

I imagine that's pounds. Or is the equivalent of almost 90k USD not quite enough for London?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm not nearly as worldly as tef is but it seems like london is a great place to live and work if you don't mind robbing the poor to feed the rich. otherwise it's a very unfulfilling place to live and work.

if i was that morally bankrupt i'd have cut the bullshit and just been a trader and make a gently caress of a lot more money working not that many more hours than a programmer in finance. or i would have masqueraded as a programmer in order to get past the insanely competitive hiring process and then moved over to a trading desk after a few years, as many people i know did. but i don't want to. not even for any ethical reasons if i'm brutally honest about it, it's just soulless boring dispiriting crap. money to me is what keeps a roof over your head. lack of it certainly makes me acutely miserable but an excess of it doesn't make me happy.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

jony neuemonic posted:

you either pay more rent and don't commute as much, or live out in the edge of nowhere suburbia and take 1-2 hours to get to work every day, and still pay too much in rent. it's common for rent to be ~50% of your income, and 70% of your income (post tax) in some areas. and bearing in mind, if you want a flat without holes in the ceiling or rot on the walls, in zone 2 north/east london you're looking at 250 pw min, more by next year. but tbh, you can commute into london effectively from brighton, oxford, and a bunch of other satelite cities and towns too. it's not that below 40 isn't enough to live on, it's a market rate to expect

meanwhile, in london, when new overground routes (subway) lines arrive, rents shoot up and people get evicted. the best way to pay a 'stable' rent in london is to not live anywhere convenient. traveling around london or into or out of london is fast. travelling through london is painfully slow. poverty and the borderline in london is unpleasant at best and terrifying at worst: you're cut off from most of london from transport costs, the areas you can afford to live in are far away from your job, eating up your free time. london is a city where it's easy to know a lot of people and never get the time to meet any of them.

people don't come to london to enjoy living there, they come to london because hell has the best parties.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Mr Dog posted:

i'm not nearly as worldly as tef is but it seems like london is a great place to live and work if you don't mind robbing the poor to feed the rich. otherwise it's a very unfulfilling place to live and work.

if i was that morally bankrupt i'd have cut the bullshit and just been a trader and make a gently caress of a lot more money working not that many more hours than a programmer in finance. or i would have masqueraded as a programmer in order to get past the insanely competitive hiring process and then moved over to a trading desk after a few years, as many people i know did. but i don't want to. not even for any ethical reasons if i'm brutally honest about it, it's just soulless boring dispiriting crap. money to me is what keeps a roof over your head. lack of it certainly makes me acutely miserable but an excess of it doesn't make me happy.

tell me more about your ethical capitalism

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Mr Dog posted:

40-60k is the market rate for startup programmers in london (lower for entry level), i was talking about the 80-100k jobs in london.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You go ahead and storm the houses of Parliament with a kalashnikov then, I'll be right behind you comrade

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

hackbunny posted:

no loving way

yeah, i don't think so either. granted, my research is limited to googling "average senior software engineer salary in [place]" and the highest was london at £49,000 which is like 3/4 of the way to 6 figures (in usd)

besides, after a certain point, that money isn't going to living expenses anyway.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

tef posted:

they do?

well, if you work for

- finance
- a company in london
- a company (american) with an office in london

you won't get it working for local startups (40-60k) and the further away from london, the cost of living is substantially lower, so usually a lower rate.

i stand somewhat corrected

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Edison was a dick posted:

Incorrect, though we have accidentally insulted a large US financial institution because they thought our standard rate was insultingly low. Currently we are charging them the minimum they would accept, and they are the highest rate we charge.

your sales dept is full of idiots then????

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Malcolm XML posted:

your sales dept is full of idiots then????

When every other big client tries to gouge our rates by going "But I could get a team of 100 for that if I hired an Indian firm!" you start adjusting things to short-cut the arguments. :shrug:
…but that's not a no.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Edison was a dick posted:

When every other big client tries to gouge our rates by going "But I could get a team of 100 for that if I hired an Indian firm!" you start adjusting things to short-cut the arguments. :shrug:
…but that's not a no.

there is so much money to be made as an Infosys recovery clinic

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
intellij idea 15 has been released :toot:

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I've been using vim for years with Python but might give pycharm a go. Or is buying IntelliJ a better idea?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

UncleBlazer posted:

I've been using vim for years with Python but might give pycharm a go. Or is buying IntelliJ a better idea?

If you just do Python, there's little reason to get IntelliJ. PyCharm also incorporates WebStorms features if you do any web or js stuff...

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
visual studio is also pretty good with python

if you like visual studio

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

UncleBlazer posted:

if you are a big fan of vim you can use the idea vim plugin in pycharm or any intellij products.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
for me the big feature in 15 is proper hidpi support in windows. i can just start the ide and not spend time loving around with font sizes after every restart :toot:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

if i was that morally bankrupt i'd have cut the bullshit and just been a trader and make a gently caress of a lot more money working not that many more hours than a programmer in finance.

better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

UncleBlazer posted:

the community edition of pycharm is free now, and you should definitely try it if you program in python a lot

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven

better to serve in heaven than serve in hell

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

UncleBlazer posted:

If you do end up giving pycharm/intellij a go, you should come back here and give impressions on using that vs. vim-with-python-plugins.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
the main thing i miss from vim/sublime in intellij is super fast file grepping. It always has that turning-the-titanic feel of an IDE when doing line/file manipulation.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

so here is a thing, I always just lurk in COBOL[1] but I really need some help, would somebody (tef? please) be willing to
I need to find a job (in the UK) before christmas or thereabouts, by the end of January at worst, because I'm running out of money but I have no idea how to go about it

I'd ask in the newbie thread but last time I tried to get advice there I had three people telling me to go do php or jsp frontend stuff which I both hate and am complete and utter rubbish at. Also coffetable said that his job offering 21K for a good grad (better than me) in central london for web frontend was a great offer, which seemed pretty bad

I've only done 2 internships before (at ARM doing driver-testing-related stuff, and at a health device startup doing embedded stuff)

I graduated this summer with a 2.1 MEng in CS from Bristol, but I sort of wanted to take a break for a bit so I don't have a job, but now my father retired and I can't live off my parents anymore and I'm really freaking out

for some more stuff:
I've done a bunch of embedded stuff on my course including using an oscilloscope and doing design verification and fault tolerance and stuff, and my masters dissertation was on recompiling CUDA to OpenCL, plus I did some unpublishable-quality personal stuff/games in C#/C/C++/Java/Python. and school projects with C++/C# in unity and torque including doing driver stuff for that

anyway tef or someone could you please talk to me and tell me what to do, please please please pretty please?

like what kind of jobs I'm qualified for even? I have honestly no idea, anything that's no webdev hell seems like it requires several years of experience (which I don't have). Like literally I can't find anything I'd feel qualified to apply for

also because if I don't find a job soon I would have to go back to eastern europe (EU but ...) and that place is really terrible honestly, but rather that than webdev, I could do a phd there or something
[1] except for maybe posting about some old Palms I got off ebay for a few pounds a few years ago

e: this is a serious post, completely. I'd send my CV over PMs but I'd rather not post it here because it would identify me even more easily I think, it's not bad however? Maybe waste of money but few years ago I've paid for that stupid CV thing from dustingduvet and I've been using that (changed and matadata-cleaned and converted to pdf) since, I've shown it to some people they thought it was good

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 4, 2015

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

really sorry for the long post and double post but it seemed topical and I really need help please

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

come to America

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Bloody posted:

come to America

I can't :( not easily I think

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

go do medical devices in the UK. you are certainly qualified.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Bloody posted:

go do medical devices in the UK. you are certainly qualified.

Could I apply for something like this?

Or maybe like this, or maybe this?

e: no seriously I have no idea but I don't want to be embarrassed and close some doors in future or lose time with it or something, like the first two obviously want EEs and the third says that 1-3 years of industry experience is essential.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 4, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yes absolutely you are handily qualified for all of those (note that the first two appear to be the same req just posted on two different job boards)

also if you're posting your resume on job boards post it as a word file. the parser scraper tools will handle it much much better than a pdf

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you have ee/ embedded skills even if your degree doesn't say ee

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I'm nominally an ee and I spend all of my time playing with oscilloscopes writing c and writing c#

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Bloody posted:

I'm nominally an ee and I spend all of my time playing with oscilloscopes writing c and writing c#

I'll try to apply for those right now and see how it goes, plus more of course but the whole looking for job thing for the first time when I sortof-mostly really need one (but not enough to do web stuff, I'm really seriously bad at it and it would be a waste of everyones time, plus I can always do a PhD at home) is really scary :ohdear:

I'm literally just sitting in a hostel at 4:30 AM typing this because I can't afford to stay in the place I lived in before and there's a bunch of loudly snoring people in my room, it's terrible even with earplugs b/c of bunk beds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Private Speech posted:

I'd ask in the newbie thread but last time I tried to get advice there I had three people telling me to go do php or jsp frontend stuff which I both hate and am complete and utter rubbish at. Also coffetable said that his job offering 21K for a good grad (better than me) in central london for web frontend was a great offer, which seemed pretty bad

welcome to market forces. most of the money is in app development.

http://careers.stackoverflow.com/jobs?location=bristol&range=20&distanceUnits=Miles

quote:

I've only done 2 internships before (at ARM doing driver-testing-related stuff, and at a health device startup doing embedded stuff)

make a list of every embedded company in your local area. or type in embedded into a job search engine

quote:

anyway tef or someone could you please talk to me and tell me what to do, please please please pretty please?

like what kind of jobs I'm qualified for even? I have honestly no idea, anything that's no webdev hell seems like it requires several years of experience (which I don't have). Like literally I can't find anything I'd feel qualified to apply for

doesn't matter so much. look for "graduate" or "junior" and avoid "senior" or "lead', each job is a litany of 'this is the last person who burned out' skills or 'we put down everything we know' lists. if you can get into the interview, that is pretty much the thing when you're breaking in.

quote:

also because if I don't find a job soon I would have to go back to eastern europe (EU but ...) and that place is really terrible honestly, but rather that than webdev, I could do a phd there or something

congratulations on your degree: most of the things you have specialised and worked in for the last couple of years have turned out to be only of interest to a few uk based companies.

if you need to find a job soon to stay in a place you like, you may have to get a job you hate. welcome. sometimes it's the other way around. you might luck out for values of luck and land a unity or gamedev job. enjoy the long hours and below industry pay compared to webdev.

my advice? i would recommend ensuring your EU work status is prominent because (if it isn't obvious enough) we are quite racist here.

the best advice i could give, honestly? nepotism. i'd go and ask people who still talk to you from the internships you did at arm, not yospos.

if you don't have any nepotism, this might help in getting your foot in the door in london

https://www.siliconmilkroundabout.com/