Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

wilderthanmild posted:

Why do your churches have gymnasiums?

I was going to ask the same thing. I had to read his post 3 times to make sure of what it said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

For the kids to play in.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

For the kids to play in.

Gotta keep em fit so they can grow up to have those Christ-like abs.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

wilderthanmild posted:

Gotta keep em fit so they can grow up to have those Christ-like abs.

No one outside of the narrow border of beach towns in Florida has abs of any sort. Much less the ones that go to those kinds of churches.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You know how a Christian will censor themselves and say "flipping" instead of "loving"? It's because they are all excellent flippers because of their gymnasiums. All Christians are really good at gymnastics in general, did you never notice?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I thought it was due to them Jews having gyms in the YMCA.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I think it's cruel for Jesus to set unrealistic body standards for men while at the same time force feeding followers bread and wine at 9 in the morning.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Crain posted:

No one outside of the narrow border of beach towns in Florida has abs of any sort. Much less the ones that go to those kinds of churches.

What's the point in working out and eating healthy foods when God is going to Rapture us any day now? :colbert:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

wilderthanmild posted:

So you can play basketball? :confused:

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

HootTheOwl posted:

And that extremist wing gets largely shut out of government because they're not centrists. Where as in a PR system they might get 30% of government for all time. Even in the video you posted it detailed how the two parties were the most centrist parties because FPTP makes anything else unelactable.

What? In case you've missed it, the extremist wing has effectively taken over the establishment conservatives. They have enough seats and influence to logjam the entire legislative process, partly thanks to our separation of powers. In a PR system, assuming we also abolished gerrymandering and money in politics, tea partiers would achieve nowhere near 30% of the seats in Congress. In fact, their influence is greatly exaggerated because of our FPTP system in combination with the other inefficient aspects of our political system. The extreme right wing's rise can be blamed almost entirely on a FPTP system, and under PR their actual influence would be revealed for what it truly is.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

wilderthanmild posted:

The churches are attached to schools. So you have the cafagymatorium that serves as any generic big space

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

What's the point in working out and eating healthy foods when God is going to Rapture us any day now? :colbert:

Good point

quote:

Laura McIntyre began educating her nine children more than a decade ago inside a vacant office at an El Paso motorcycle dealership she ran with her husband and other relatives.

Now the family is embroiled in a legal battle the Texas Supreme Court hears next week that could have broad implications on the nation's booming home-school ranks. The McIntyres are accused of failing to teach their children educational basics because they were waiting to be transported to heaven with the second coming of Jesus Christ.

At issue: Where do religious liberty and parental rights to educate one's own children stop and obligations to ensure home-schooled students ever actually learn something begin?

"Parents should be allowed to decide how to educate their children, not whether to educate their children," said Rachel Coleman, executive director of the Massachusetts-based Coalition for Responsible Home Education.

Like other Texas home-school families, Laura and her husband Michael McIntyre weren't required to register with state or local educational officials. They also didn't have to teach state-approved curriculums or give standardized tests.

But problems began when the dealership's co-owner and Michael's twin brother, Tracy, reported never seeing the children reading, working on math, using computers or doing much of anything educational except singing and playing instruments. He said he heard one of them say learning was unnecessary since "they were going to be raptured."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Mormon churches have gyms too, for that bloodsport known as church basketball. Like if at least one person isn't carted off the court on a stretcher the game is considered a failure. This goes for girls too.

Some of the Catholic churches around here have gyms as well. Honestly it's not such a crazy idea, kids can go after school and shoot hoops or whatever. It's not as much of an issue around here, but you might want to have your kids be able to play and if your area doesn't have a lot of municipal parks or good equipment then they have somewhere to go.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

wilderthanmild posted:

Combined youth sports practice location and a place to host pot lucks. Pretty much all moderately sized Protestant churches have gyms. Of course, I'm in Kentucky where there's a basketball court every fifteen feet.

(The local Catholic Church has a really nice one too, but the Islamic center has to make due with an outdoor half-court. )

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The Rapture is the dumbest loving idea that anyone in the religion racket has come up with in the last 200 years. The Catholics were right, the Bible should never have been translated into the vernacular.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I shouldn't be surprised, but drat.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Church gyms are for sleeping on when the church has other churches over for a visit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gravel Gravy posted:

I think it's cruel for Jesus to set unrealistic body standards for men while at the same time force feeding followers bread and wine at 9 in the morning.

I think you mean delicious human meat and blood.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

The money for it was raised "to help bring poor children who have yet to see the light of Christ into the congregation and get them off the street."

After it's built, it's exclusively used for well-to-do (white) congregation members kids and purity balls.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
If you want to get an idea of how and why churches are building stuff like that, the phrase to google is family or community life center.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BurntCornMuffin posted:

The money for it was raised "to help bring poor children who have yet to see the light of Christ into the congregation and get them off the street."

After it's built, it's exclusively used for well-to-do (white) congregation members kids and purity balls.

Jesus christ, church gyms are not a secret Christian Dominion plot.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Rapture is the dumbest loving idea that anyone in the religion racket has come up with in the last 200 years. The Catholics were right, the Bible should never have been translated into the vernacular.

Counterpoint: The Singularity

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Actually it's an ugly cinder block building where you hung out after school to shoot hoops until your mom picked you up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chalets the Baka posted:

What? In case you've missed it, the extremist wing has effectively taken over the establishment conservatives. They have enough seats and influence to logjam the entire legislative process, partly thanks to our separation of powers. In a PR system, assuming we also abolished gerrymandering and money in politics, tea partiers would achieve nowhere near 30% of the seats in Congress. In fact, their influence is greatly exaggerated because of our FPTP system in combination with the other inefficient aspects of our political system. The extreme right wing's rise can be blamed almost entirely on a FPTP system, and under PR their actual influence would be revealed for what it truly is.
We can use the House Freedom Caucus as a measurement of the strength of the tea party, which currently has 38 seats or about 8% of congress. If you think that this "fringe" only represents 8% of the electorate then you're wildly misrepresenting the current state of American politics. Racist populism (READ: Tea Party) is easily more than 8% of the electorate which is demonstrated by the GOP primaries being dominated by Carson and Trump. If there were a tiny minority they wouldn't be pandered to so heavily.
I mean, we joke about they're ruining government but most of that isn't the fault of centrist FPTP voting, it's the fault of dumb Hastert rules and the filibusterer which are causing our electoral disfunction.
Again, even with gerrymandering they only have 38 seats in a body of 435, and were forced to kiss Ryan's rings.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Early voted last week, so no worrying about voting today.

Fried Chicken posted:

Counterpoint: The Singularity
Singularity is just the Rapture for people who aren't Christian, so same difference.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Are goons really freaking out that a church would have a gym?

The local catholic church has a basketball court that was converted to a small skate park...should I warn tweens and teens about the secret christian plot to infiltrate the secular past time?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Are goons really freaking out that a church would have a gym?

The local catholic church has a basketball court that was converted to a small skate park...should I warn tweens and teens about the secret christian plot to infiltrate the secular past time?

The Priest was seen nearby commenting that young Mike Taylor's ollie was "gnarly".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

We can use the House Freedom Caucus as a measurement of the strength of the tea party, which currently has 38 seats or about 8% of congress. If you think that this "fringe" only represents 8% of the electorate then you're wildly misrepresenting the current state of American politics. Racist populism (READ: Tea Party) is easily more than 8% of the electorate which is demonstrated by the GOP primaries being dominated by Carson and Trump. If there were a tiny minority they wouldn't be pandered to so heavily.
I mean, we joke about they're ruining government but most of that isn't the fault of centrist FPTP voting, it's the fault of dumb Hastert rules and the filibusterer which are causing our electoral disfunction.
Again, even with gerrymandering they only have 38 seats in a body of 435, and were forced to kiss Ryan's rings.

17% say they support the Tea Party, which is happily the lowest level since they started tracking it.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Sometimes a gym is just a gym.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

wilderthanmild posted:

Ohio has a very confusing Weed legalization thing with two amendments that appear to counter each other. One that legalizes marijuana and establishes a predetermined number of eligible grow sites.(And allows for personal growth and sharing up to a certain amount). One that establishes a board that reviews any ballot initiative to make sure it doesn't give preferential economic status.(And is worded in such a way that they could pretty much create an arbitrary roadblock to success for any ballot initiative) and explicitly is worded to block initiatives related to schedule 1 substances.(Because they couldn't just name Issue 3 by name?)

Ah you're right, I forgot about that initiative. The reason Issue 3 attacks the preferential economic status is because Issue 3 explicitly reserves the right to those grow sites to people who promised to fund the pro-3 campaign.

I also forgot that Seattle's Initiative 122, on the ballot today, would establish a public campaign financing system which would give residents four $25 vouchers to fund the candidates they want, which would be interesting to see play out if approved.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

The real answer is that when segregation ended support for communal public spaces dropped like a loving rock. But there was still a need for them so as time went on churches started building "gymatoriums" that served as general communal semi public places, so now it is back to we have our spaces and they have their separate but as equal as their fundraising will allow spaces and it's just our churches and not the uglier divide that no one wants to realize is still there

Edit: consider the fact that now we have to fight over funding parks (rather than it being a zoning issue) and have to justify it as "attracting tourists" rather than that parks are good and cool

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 3, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FAUXTON posted:

I just realized that Trump's anger translator would be Andrew Dice Clay.

E: Clinton's would probably be Lena Headey for office meetings and Melissa McCarthy for press conferences. Bernie's would have to be Lewis Black.

Bernie is obviously Larry David at all times

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Glad to see the Midwest/East loving up what the West has already accomplished (drama-free legalization of cannabis) a long time ago.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

So I'm meeting Rep. Chuck Fleischmann (R-TN) later this month, what should I know about him?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

zoux posted:

17% say they support the Tea Party, which is happily the lowest level since they started tracking it.

The article also says the Tea Party has 32% among republicans, yet it does not represent 32% of their elected officials.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Just think, in a just world, we're all off of work today.

Why would we all be off today? Only goony dumb states are having elections.

Pro-tip: off-year elections are bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

The article also says the Tea Party has 32% among republicans, yet it does not represent 32% of their elected officials.

Are you saying it's higher or lower than that.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

HootTheOwl posted:

Every country, even the most progressive, has their political sect of racist populists. Because there is mathematically no room for more than two parties in US politics, they have no choice but to piggyback on the Republican party which has resulted in them basically co-opting the party for themselves. They're free to filibuster and stamp the RINO label on whomever they wish to steer the party as they choose. That can't happen in a PR system; they would get some seats, sure, but they would definitely not be able to play the games they are playing right now and literally halt the functioning of the government over trivial issues. If we had the system of government that most of our allies have, the radical conservatives would possess less influence and centrist parties could more easily work together. Our system of government does not allow for the forming of coalitions, votes of no confidence and the dissolution of Congress at any time, or any of the efficient electoral process that modern democracies have, all of which result in a government that simply works better and produces results. Your fears that tea partiers would somehow gain enough seats in a PR system to do anything beyond what they're already doing is not supported by anything.

There is nothing exceptional about America or its political ideologies, and just about any political scientist and game theorist on this planet will tell you that it would be better for the country to move to a PR system.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Just got screamed at for being part of the hogsett campaign (after I told him I wasn't) for putting a flier with pentagram a and satanic symbols (the Indianapolis logo) on a guys windshield where the rain (3 days ago) made it stick. My repeated attempts to say I had nothing to do with it only got him to yell more

Got me to the point of just telling him I don't give a poo poo, he stormed off screaming about that's the problem

The someone yelled at me about how the family of the dead person parked their car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Riatsala posted:

So I'm meeting Rep. Chuck Fleischmann (R-TN) later this month, what should I know about him?

What's his favorite brand of yeast?

• Locked thread