Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Roast potatoes benefit from chilling down and drying out. I always give them a rest in the fridge. They end up with a crunchy crispy exterior. So yeah, keep them outta the bath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is this legit

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1890209291/the-steakager-dry-age-steaks-right-in-your-fridge

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They expect you to have a cord leading out the front of the fridge so I wouldn't count on it materializing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wookums posted:

They expect you to have a cord leading out the front of the fridge so I wouldn't count on it materializing.

Drill a hole in the side of the fridge and silicone around the cord

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I think the sort of people interested in this kind of thing are the sort that will have a spare beer fridge in their garage that they don't mind modifying.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Ferret King posted:

I think the sort of people interested in this kind of thing are the sort that will have a spare beer fridge in their garage that they don't mind modifying.

Yeah there's no way I could devote that kind of space in my kitchen fridge.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I have a pretzel recipe for Serious Eats I want to try: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/10/mustard-soft-pretzels-from-salty-snacks.html

It calls for malt powder or malt syrup. What is that, exactly, and where do I find it? I checked amazon after I struck out at the the grocery store, and I'm not exactly sure what to buy. Also, what does the malt do in this recipe? Lotta pretzel questions.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

bartlebee posted:

I have a pretzel recipe for Serious Eats I want to try: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/10/mustard-soft-pretzels-from-salty-snacks.html

It calls for malt powder or malt syrup. What is that, exactly, and where do I find it? I checked amazon after I struck out at the the grocery store, and I'm not exactly sure what to buy. Also, what does the malt do in this recipe? Lotta pretzel questions.

It's a type of flour improver, you add it to bread dough to give a better crust and things. You want this something like this one:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/diastatic-malt-powder-16-oz

Diastatic is the correct type, non-diastatic powder is used to make drinks like Ovaltine.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bartlebee posted:

Malt syrups and powders are usually labelled either diastatic or non-diastatic. Diastatic malt products contain an enzyme that naturally occurs in malt (and other grains) that aids in converting starches into sugars. Non-diastatic malt products are basically just a mild sweetener.

In either case you'll end up with a dough with slightly more sugar in it. In small amounts this doesn't necessarily make the resulting baked good sweeter, but (depending on the baking conditions) usually gives a sort of `toasty' flavour (all else being equal doughs with more sugar brown more than doughs with less). With diastatic malt the crumb usually comes out somewhat lighter, but that depends a lot on the rest of the dough as well.

In pretzels and bagels you see malt in small quantities mostly because it adds a little depth to the flavour of the dough as a result of the additional sugar getting browned by comparatively high cooking temperatures. In other recipes it can be there just for the effect on the texture, but if you make I dunno, something like a brioche with malt and then toast a slice of it you'll notice a difference between it an an equivalent slice made without malt.

If the recipe calls for non-diastatic malt you can usually get away with using another mild sweetener---I usually use black molasses if I don't have any malt handy.

You can also make your own malt syrups and powders if you have whole malt. Pretty much any brewer supply place will have more than you need.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Oh good. Something I didn't know I needed.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Tha thing is loving dumb, get a full sheet pan, a rack, some salt and a ribeye and wait a month.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Tha thing is loving dumb, get a full sheet pan, a rack, some salt and a ribeye and wait a month.

Opening and closing a fridge changes the humidity and temperature a lot. I see the appeal in it. I have a mini fridge I haven't used it in a while. I guess I should clean the sucker out and make 3 or 4 bones worth for the next family outing.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I suddenly find myself with a large-ish quantity of dried seaweed and not many ideas as to what to do with it. Suggestions?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dzhay posted:

I suddenly find myself with a large-ish quantity of dried seaweed and not many ideas as to what to do with it. Suggestions?
Make some sushi rolls

Make some rice cake soup and garnish with seaweed.

Make congee and garnish with seaweed

Every time you eat rice, crumble some on top, including fried rice

Since there's a pattern of putting it on carbs, try something different and maybe crumble on some seafood pasta or put it on potatoes

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
So enriched breads. I have vegans coming for Thanksgiving and want to make some sweet potato knots vegan-style. (Specifically this recipe which worked great as written last year.) Obviously the milk converts simply to whatever nut milk, but the egg yolks give me pause. How can I replace them?

(Xposted to the bread thread)

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 4, 2015

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
Does anyone have an online resource to recommend for buying packaging for baked goods (boxes, bags etc). I'm in :canada: and while I've been getting items piecemeal at Bulk Barn I don't know where I should look online (Amazon.ca is much more expensive than Bulk Barn). I'm also in Toronto, if there's a local place you think I should check out.

AND in a related question: favourite fillings for enriched dough braids/twists/wreaths? Nut filling with streusal topping has gone over well, poppyseed and apple not so much, thinking maybe fruit & chocolate (eg: sour cherries and dark chocolate, rasperries and white or milk chocolate), maybe something something cardamom and pistachio ....

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I want to expand my cooking repertoire from standard American / classic French and was considering Indian since we eat vegetarian 50% of the time. What's a good online resource for recipes and techniques? Manjulas kitchen? Anything else?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Dzhay posted:

It's a good umami bomb when added into beef stews, shepherds pie, broths etc.

edt: Maybe could be used for Laverbread.

Cavenagh fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 4, 2015

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I have two smoked rainbow trout filets I got from Trader Joes. I was think of cutting them into smaller pieces and tossing them in with some linguine. Maybe as a garnish on some risotto? Any better ideas or should I just eat them straight? Not really feeling cheese and crackers tonight and I'd prefer a hot dish.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Spadoink posted:

AND in a related question: favourite fillings for enriched dough braids/twists/wreaths? Nut filling with streusal topping has gone over well, poppyseed and apple not so much, thinking maybe fruit & chocolate (eg: sour cherries and dark chocolate, rasperries and white or milk chocolate), maybe something something cardamom and pistachio ....

A common one in the Netherlands is called Amandelspijs, which is a sweet almond paste. It's the stuff you get int he middle of Stollen. I normally just buy it ready made, but I believe you can make it yourself. This recipe seems legit:

http://dutchfood.about.com/od/cookingtipstechniques/ss/HowToMakeSpijs.htm

Edit: English name is Marzipan. Which is confusing, because over here Marzipan is something else.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 4, 2015

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

DARPA Dad posted:

I have two smoked rainbow trout filets I got from Trader Joes. I was think of cutting them into smaller pieces and tossing them in with some linguine. Maybe as a garnish on some risotto? Any better ideas or should I just eat them straight? Not really feeling cheese and crackers tonight and I'd prefer a hot dish.

Linguine sounds great. I do like it with scrambled eggs on toast though, especially with some watercress. Perhaps a take on a carbonara would work.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Gerblyn posted:

A common one in the Netherlands is called Amandelspijs, which is a sweet almond paste. It's the stuff you get int he middle of Stollen. I normally just buy it ready made, but I believe you can make it yourself. This recipe seems legit:

http://dutchfood.about.com/od/cookingtipstechniques/ss/HowToMakeSpijs.htm

Edit: English name is Marzipan. Which is confusing, because over here Marzipan is something else.

What is marzipan in the Netherlands?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
"Marsepein" is what we call the smooth, fondant icing like stuff. We put it on cakes, and dye it different colours to make edible decorations. "Amandelspijs" is rougher and stickier, and is put in stollen and these things called gevulde koek (literally Filled Cookies).

I think English calls both "marzipan", which is why I got confused. Putting the former in stollen would be odd, since it doesn't have the nice gooey texture the latter does.

Edit: this is Amandelspijs - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond_paste

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 5, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Geburan posted:

I want to expand my cooking repertoire from standard American / classic French and was considering Indian since we eat vegetarian 50% of the time. What's a good online resource for recipes and techniques? Manjulas kitchen? Anything else?

Yes, Manjula's kitchen is fantastic, but Dino's South Indian thread is still kicking:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516815&pagenumber=1

Post questions in it if you want it live longer. :)

My house is 50% vegetarian, so we make lots of Indian food. Start by buying all the spices; once you own all the spices, and learn how use them, Indian food is pretty easy.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Oh man I love Amandelspijs. My Oma makes my favourite christmas desert (boeterletter) and I basically gorge myself every year.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Dzhay posted:

Is it nori? Wakame? Kombu? All can be used differently.

A place I worked did a dish where we hydrated kombu, threw it in a blender with nori, a little rice wine vinegar and soy sauce, then mixed that slurry into unsalted butter to spread on toast.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Geburan posted:

Manjula is awesome. Shout out to Vahrevah.com as well. I really like this guy's recipes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What's the purpose of cognac in duck/chicken liver mousse, and can it be substituted with a white wine or omitted or something? I don't even know where I'd get cognac here and I'm not interested in buying a bottle just for this.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Grand Fromage posted:

What's the purpose of cognac in duck/chicken liver mousse, and can it be substituted with a white wine or omitted or something? I don't even know where I'd get cognac here and I'm not interested in buying a bottle just for this.

The purpose is that it tastes good. Also, what desolate hellhole do you live in where cognac isn't readily available?

Leftover cognac could be used for drinking, with plesant results.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DekeThornton posted:

The purpose is that it tastes good. Also, what desolate hellhole do you live in where cognac isn't readily available?

Leftover cognac could be used for drinking, with plesant results.

Sichuan. I'm sure I can find it but I don't like it that much and it'd probably be expensive.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Grand Fromage posted:

Sichuan. I'm sure I can find it but I don't like it that much and it'd probably be expensive.

Ah. In that case maybe shaoxing rice wine could be a substitute. I haven't tried that type of wine myself, since it's hard to find here in Sweden, but I've read it tastes similar to sherry which should be a better fit than regular white wine.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Nicol Bolas posted:

So enriched breads. I have vegans coming for Thanksgiving and want to make some sweet potato knots vegan-style. (Specifically this recipe which worked great as written last year.) Obviously the milk converts simply to whatever nut milk, but the egg yolks give me pause. How can I replace them?

(Xposted to the bread thread)

I hope you figure this out, because this is my favorite sweet roll recipe, and It'd be great to have as a 'In case of vegans'.

I must have tremendous luck with vegans, the ones i've ever eaten with always pack or bring their own sides and meals.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
My dad saw this fancy style gravy recipe, and sent it to me asking to make it for him when he comes up. It's calling for whiskey to be added to it...I am not a whiskey drinker at all. What's a good one I should get?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Disco Salmon posted:

My dad saw this fancy style gravy recipe, and sent it to me asking to make it for him when he comes up. It's calling for whiskey to be added to it...I am not a whiskey drinker at all. What's a good one I should get?

For a recipe you generally don't need to bother with much of the subtlety that exists in whisky because all that is going to be obliterated by the gravy.

I'd just go with something under $30 a bottle. For a cheap cocktail / cooking whisky I'd suggest Evan Williams but you could find lots of other things.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Disco Salmon posted:

This might be obvious but if you're not a whisky drinker and you don't want it sitting there forever once you've made the gravy you can get a plastic bottle of Jim beam like alcoholics drink for under eight bucks.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Jim Beam Bonded is legit good, and can be had for ~$20.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

pile of brown posted:

Is it nori? Wakame? Kombu? All can be used differently.

A place I worked did a dish where we hydrated kombu, threw it in a blender with nori, a little rice wine vinegar and soy sauce, then mixed that slurry into unsalted butter to spread on toast.

Kombu, I think, don't have the packet with me. This sounds like a great idea.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

That Works posted:

For a recipe you generally don't need to bother with much of the subtlety that exists in whisky because all that is going to be obliterated by the gravy.

I'd just go with something under $30 a bottle. For a cheap cocktail / cooking whisky I'd suggest Evan Williams but you could find lots of other things.

Cloks posted:

This might be obvious but if you're not a whisky drinker and you don't want it sitting there forever once you've made the gravy you can get a plastic bottle of Jim beam like alcoholics drink for under eight bucks.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Jim Beam Bonded is legit good, and can be had for ~$20.

Thank you.

I have seen the little bottles before...but again, wasn't sure if they were a "drinking" style or a "cooking" style. Look like Jim Beam it is then, appreciate the advice!

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
I decided to make the orange & almond meal cake (in cupcake form) someone listed a few days ago in the thread and it is legit.

Made a chocolate buttercream frosting and some sour orange sugar to dust on top. Good stuff, even if my frosting job is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
My local grocer started stocking Aussie beef alongside the regular stuff. It's way cheaper. $7/lb vs. 12$/lb for boneless ribeye.

Color and marbling look fine.

What's the story here?