Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Earwicker posted:

:confused: what the hell country do you live in where 5 or 6 books out of the top 10 best-sellers are coloring books?

they are just a fun hobby/timewaster kind of thing like crossword puzzles etc.. they aren't particularly new either, and lots of adults still read books all the time so I'm not sure what you are talking about at all.. though again this might be related to your strange country.

also, "spruik", really?

They're part of this Mindfulness trend. Basically people buy them as part of this therapy thing where it helps them to relax and meditate and reduce stress or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

well that's cool, they are definitely relaxing. though it's still weird that they are in the top 10 of any country's bestseller list. even Australia

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

"Australia" is all you ever really need to explain something weird.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
"Room" is good yes?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

What happened to that thing adults used to do with books, what was it, reading?

E-readers. I don't know anybody who actually reads physical books anymore. Even the older folks I know have gone over to e-readers exclusively, in large part because of the ability to turn every book into a Large Print book. Aside from textbooks, it's probably been a good three years since the last time I bought a physical book. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that most of a bookstore's sales are of adult coloring books or similar poo poo that can't really be effectively purchased in e-book format.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

They're still talking about coloring books. They don't work in an e-reader so to speak.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, that was my point. I think that bookstores are pushing adult coloring books specifically because they're a niche that still requires a physical book.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Oh good thinking, that makes a lot of sense.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kraps posted:

"Room" is good yes?

Very

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Khizan posted:

E-readers. I don't know anybody who actually reads physical books anymore.

Do you live in some kinda gated e reader community

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

I'll start using e-readers when they introduce screens on that back that display the cover of the book you are reading. Otherwise, how am I supposed to look intelligent to other commuters on the train?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Khizan posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that most of a bookstore's sales are of adult coloring books or similar poo poo that can't really be effectively purchased in e-book format.

Not really. Physical books still outsell ebooks, and ebook sales have been slipping for the last year or so (there are several interesting theories as to why, but no one knows for sure). The writing is on the wall for Barnes and Noble, and BAM is showing some worrying signs of making the same mistakes, but bookstores that focus on selling books and managed to weather the recession are doing well.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ornamented Death posted:

bookstores that focus on selling books and managed to weather the recession are doing well.

Ha, that reminds me, I don't know what it was like in the US but right before Borders died here, they went all desperate and started trying to sell homewares and gift items and poo poo in stores too. They emptied out about the front 30% or so of the store, ditching dozens and dozens of shelves (display space for probably thousands of books) and instead put up tables with useless loving tchotchkes and photo frames and other poo poo like that.

Borders' business model was hosed, anyway. Their response to the increase in online book shopping was to make hardcover new releases some kind of "premium" product. I distinctly remember a new Bill Bryson hardcover coming out and Borders pricing it at $60.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

A human heart posted:

Do you live in some kinda gated e reader community

Seriously. Kindle is like a weird novelty to me, like a Sodastream.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hedrigall posted:

Ha, that reminds me, I don't know what it was like in the US but right before Borders died here, they went all desperate and started trying to sell homewares and gift items and poo poo in stores too. They emptied out about the front 30% or so of the store, ditching dozens and dozens of shelves (display space for probably thousands of books) and instead put up tables with useless loving tchotchkes and photo frames and other poo poo like that.

It was largely the same here, and as far as I can tell that wasn't an act of desperation, but rather the intended direction of the company as envisioned by the C-suite. B&N is well on it's way to the same fate for literally the exact same reasons. It's insane.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I really like my e-reader because new hardcovers are 10-20 dollars cheaper hth

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I pretty much use my e-reader exclusively now. I just seem to find using the e-reader more convenient(?), not sure if that's the right word. However, I still do occasionally pick up an actual book to read it, but it's mostly for re-reads now for books that I bought before I had my e-reader.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
After sorting my bookshelves and finding at least 10-20 books I've bought in the last 5 years are starting to go spotty (gently caress living in a humid city), I'm just about ready to go 100% digital for all novels in the future.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My issue with physical books is the storage space. Before I switched to my e-reader exclusively I was at the point where I was choosing not to buy books because I'd have to find a place to store them or sell them off for pennies on the dollar, and both of those were inconvenient.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I rarely reread books but I like the convenience of having unread books at the ready, so I have piles and piles of unread books and almost none on my keeper shelf. Once read, my books go to friends/family, the used bookstore (to fund more book purchases!) or PaperbackSwap to exchange for more books (though postage prices keep going up so I do this less often now). My Kindle gets sporadic use, mostly because my physical book acquisitions end up being cheaper overall.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
My only concern with e-readers is that i have a nook instead of a kindle and if BN's digital division goes under I need to convert those files and store them before I get hit by license fuckery

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My only concern with e-readers is that i have a nook instead of a kindle and if BN's digital division goes under I need to convert those files and store them before I get hit by license fuckery

Calibre is real good for this....

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I like having a Kindle because I found a torrent for 13gbs of ebooks on how to do alchemy and witchcraft and kabbalah and it'd be annoying reading them all on a computer.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Khizan posted:

My issue with physical books is the storage space. Before I switched to my e-reader exclusively I was at the point where I was choosing not to buy books because I'd have to find a place to store them or sell them off for pennies on the dollar, and both of those were inconvenient.

You can store books on the floor.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, but then you have piles of books lying around on the loving floor.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Exactly, that's a cool way to live.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Speaking from experience, it's pretty annoying

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It actually owns to have huge towers of books that you have to tunnel through and avoid triggering the various booby-traps which would send a pile of hardbacks crushing down on an intruder.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

CestMoi posted:

Calibre is real good for this....

Last I checked, B&N's nook ecosystem is very locked down, they removed the option to direct download the drm'd epubs from your account page, and you have to jump through a few hoops with their legacy software to get around it. Luckily I had already archived most of my purchases before that point and jumped ship to amazon.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ornamented Death posted:

It was largely the same here, and as far as I can tell that wasn't an act of desperation, but rather the intended direction of the company as envisioned by the C-suite. B&N is well on it's way to the same fate for literally the exact same reasons. It's insane.

It was a response to Amazon, definitely sort of an act of desperation. Although in the case of B&N, said C suite has been almost completely replaced twice during this whole process and there are some shareholder lawsuits in the background that have also driven things.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Is it worth sticking with Nook or should I abandon ship soon?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Depends on what you mean by soon. B&N has been dying its slow death for a while, I predict they will not last out the decade but most likely result is Nook and related properties being acquired by someone else, Microsoft or Apple or even Amazon, in which case it still wouldn't be entirely useless and there will probably be some sort of conversion process.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 3, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Depends on what you mean by soon. B&N has been dying its slow death for a while, I predict they will not last out the decade but most likely result is Nook and related properties being acquired by someone else, Microsoft or Apple or even Amazon, in which case it still wouldn't be entirely useless and there will probably be some sort of conversion process.

Yeah basically I have no problem riding it out, I just don't want to keep buying books with the real chance they may become ether in a few years

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Kindle paperwhite is the poo poo and the version with ads is super cheap, and the ads are only the screensaver. They don't interfere with the actual reading ever.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Personally I cannot stand ebooks, I just can't focus on them. I solve the storage problem with paper books by constantly giving books to other people. Unless it's some sort of rare edition or something I'll use for reference in the longterm.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Personally I cannot stand ebooks, I just can't focus on them. I solve the storage problem with paper books by constantly giving books to other people. Unless it's some sort of rare edition or something I'll use for reference in the longterm.

Its more price for me. I buy between 30-40 new books a year and the e-reader to hardcover difference is literally hundreds of dollars.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its more price for me. I buy between 30-40 new books a year and the e-reader to hardcover difference is literally hundreds of dollars.

I solve this problem by checking new books out from the library if they're available or waiting until books are in paperback or eReaderIQ tells me that the Kindle version has dropped in price. I think I've bought like 2 just-released hardcovers in the last 5 years.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oopsie rock posted:

I solve this problem by checking new books out from the library if they're available or waiting until books are in paperback or eReaderIQ tells me that the Kindle version has dropped in price. I think I've bought like 2 just-released hardcovers in the last 5 years.

Well sure but if your goal is to read contemporary books tabula rasa it's not a very effective strategy

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well sure but if your goal is to read contemporary books tabula rasa it's not a very effective strategy

Sure it is; I avoid reading reviews and check new books out from the library. Just in the last week I read two new releases, one that I managed to check out on release date and one that had already been out for a month or two, and my tabula was totally rasa for both.

I'm just saying that reading new books unspoiled can be done without dropping crazy money on new hardcovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oopsie rock posted:

I'm just saying that reading new books unspoiled can be done without dropping crazy money on new hardcovers.

Which is why I said I buy e-books?