Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Meowbot posted:

I still dont know how anyon on earth (especially on a console) can get 1000+ hours out of this game.

I just do not see how that is possible. There is not enough content because all of the fallout games are completely devoid of 1000 hours of content.

HOW do people get that much time out of these games? You DO REALIZE there are MUCH more fulfilling games to play for that period of time? Where the progression actually matters and means something? Sure if you PC it and have a harem of like 100 hot naked fallout companions thats one thing, but wha tthe gently caress? Several people have pointed out they have thousands of hours into the fallout 3 game ... sewer simulator 2010 which was probably one of the least enjoyable games I played in the past decade (oh I tried to really like all of the fallout games since fallout 2was really good back in te day)

Im not being a jerk, I just want to know what do people do for 1000 hours? There is no way you are telling me you just keep going back through the same content repeatedly killing the same enemies over and over because there is not 1000 hours of the game. Its like a 20 to 30 hour game if you just follow the main story and still do side missions. In new vegas I think I had like 40 hours when I said "gently caress, this is reall boring" and went to playing quake 3 again or something.

Im just baffled. Are people so hard up for a good game that they can wander a mediocre lovely one for thousands of hours? Are we really starved that much of games that "fill this itch?". I've put like 1000 hours into the quake series throughout my lifep robably 10s of thousands of hours, but thats over a period of decades, and the game has endless content meanwhile I have a friend who says his playtime on Fallout 3 on xbox 360 is like 600 hours ... what the gently caress do you do for 600 hours?

Ill probably get this game because there is nothing else "consuming" as bethesda games and Im like 80 hours into the witcher 3 and not even halfway through and want to shoot dudes with guns but call of duty is also coming out ...

falolout 3 wasnt good enough to play for 1000 hours, butconvince me what you were doing in that time because 1000 hours is a LOT Of time. I tried to play new vegas the other day for like 2 hours, and I was like god drat this is boring af

In New Vegas you can experiment with different character builds and personalities and a playthrough feels different every time. I don't know about Fallout 3 though since in that game you're always Boring Liam Neeson's failson who dies in a reactor even though your friends are robots and healed by radiation guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Meowbot posted:

I still dont know how anyon on earth (especially on a console) can get 1000+ hours out of this game.

I just do not see how that is possible. There is not enough content because all of the fallout games are completely devoid of 1000 hours of content.

HOW do people get that much time out of these games? You DO REALIZE there are MUCH more fulfilling games to play for that period of time? Where the progression actually matters and means something? Sure if you PC it and have a harem of like 100 hot naked fallout companions thats one thing, but wha tthe gently caress? Several people have pointed out they have thousands of hours into the fallout 3 game ... sewer simulator 2010 which was probably one of the least enjoyable games I played in the past decade (oh I tried to really like all of the fallout games since fallout 2was really good back in te day)

Im not being a jerk, I just want to know what do people do for 1000 hours? There is no way you are telling me you just keep going back through the same content repeatedly killing the same enemies over and over because there is not 1000 hours of the game. Its like a 20 to 30 hour game if you just follow the main story and still do side missions. In new vegas I think I had like 40 hours when I said "gently caress, this is reall boring" and went to playing quake 3 again or something.

Im just baffled. Are people so hard up for a good game that they can wander a mediocre lovely one for thousands of hours? Are we really starved that much of games that "fill this itch?". I've put like 1000 hours into the quake series throughout my lifep robably 10s of thousands of hours, but thats over a period of decades, and the game has endless content meanwhile I have a friend who says his playtime on Fallout 3 on xbox 360 is like 600 hours ... what the gently caress do you do for 600 hours?

Ill probably get this game because there is nothing else "consuming" as bethesda games and Im like 80 hours into the witcher 3 and not even halfway through and want to shoot dudes with guns but call of duty is also coming out ...

falolout 3 wasnt good enough to play for 1000 hours, butconvince me what you were doing in that time because 1000 hours is a LOT Of time. I tried to play new vegas the other day for like 2 hours, and I was like god drat this is boring af

Ask yourself how much time you're willing to put into complaining about a series on the internet when you can't even stomach 2 hours of its best entry.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

In New Vegas you can experiment with different character builds and personalities and a playthrough feels different every time. I don't know about Fallout 3 though since in that game you're always Boring Liam Neeson's failson who dies in a reactor even though your friends are robots and healed by radiation guys

Exactly. New Vegas has several wildly divergent questlines, and 4 endings that actually play differently. You replay it for the longterm payoff, not instant gratification.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 3, 2015

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

It's not THowards fault you are weak-willed.

ITT: People bitching about being a jack of all trades that can do all content right next to people bitching they can't stop themselves from save-scumming to not miss any content.

Being a jack of all trades and having dialogue options limited only by a percentile chance are different things.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Meowbot posted:

HOW do people get that much time out of these games? You DO REALIZE there are MUCH more fulfilling games to play for that period of time? Where the progression actually matters and means something?

I'll be honest idk how people sink that much time in either but lol you sound ridiculous right now.

'Fulfilling game' just means whatever your personal preference is. They're all meaningless pointless wastes of time that bring you X amount of hours closer to death in the end. I don't care if you want to take video games so seriously, fine whatever floats your boat, but it's insane when you then try to apply that mindset to every other person playing video games. You end up going 'THIS IS THE ONE TRUE GAME' or whatever the gently caress and it just sounds ridiculous. I don't care about 'fulfilling games,' I just want to flamethrow poo poo in a power suit.

Also games not out yet.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Meowbot posted:

People like things I do not and that infuriates me

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I hope that, epically, at the end of Fall's Out Four, John FAllout motherfreaking dies to save Baby Shaun who is now a ghoulified cybercyborg with psyker powers, but if you pay USD$20 for the Broken Circuit DLC you get to continue and finally and truly take the fight to the Institute

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Meowbot posted:

You sure do seem to be angry about what other people enjoy. It sounds like this might not be the game for you then friendo. And That's OK.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I hope that, epically, at the end of Fall's Out Four, John FAllout motherfreaking dies to save Baby Shaun who is now a ghoulified cybercyborg with psyker powers, but if you pay USD$20 for the Broken Circuit DLC you get to continue and finally and truly take the fight to the Institute

Detective John Fallout didn't spend 30 of his best years on the force to be lampooned like this dammit

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Meowbot source your lovely quotes ok

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope I can name my character Robutt and the game will recognize it.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

Lol goons thinking any of the poo poo that they're complaining will have any effect on Bethesda or their sales is loving hilarious. Nothing will ever sink this game

this is pathetic

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

big mean giraffe posted:

Meowbot source your lovely quotes ok

Cool story bro

(I'm in ur base)

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Funky Britches posted:

this is pathetic

Mlyp bitch fag

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bob NewSCART posted:

Mlyp bitch fag

Weeabob. (I have several anime posters to be frank here)

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i saw a tv commercial for fallout 4 and i was like oh cool that's coming out i wonder if i should buy it so i decided to check out this thred to learn about the game

it's a very long thread so i only skimmed it, but it seems like the general consensus is i should be a huge fag w/ autism?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

it's a very long thread so i only skimmed it, but it seems like the general consensus is i should be a huge fag w/ autism?

We should all be Robin Williams, in our way.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Meowbot posted:

Im not being a jerk, I just want to know what do people do for 1000 hours?

what the gently caress do you do for 600 hours?

Play the game. Replay the game making different choices or going a different path. Replay the game using a completely different build (Melee vs Ranged, Stealth vs Tank, etc) Replay the game and be a completionist trying to find and complete every single quest, complete every single achievement, find every single location in the wasteland, etc. Max out all your characters stats and acquire as many perks as humanly possible.

Create a custom town in the game. Spend hundreds of hours customizing each and every building to be exactly to your tastes. Invite NPCs (Or do you create them? IDK) to live in your user-created town.

Install mods. Play the game, customizing each mod until the game feels totally different than vanilla. Install ENB, customize high-res textures, alter your SweetFX settings until your game looks EXACTLY the way you personally want it to look.

Become a modder. Install the GECK/CK/whatever. Start learning how to mod by creating mods, go into the game, and interact with your mod directly. Test it for bugs or glitches. Update it when new patches come out. Update it when other mods similar to yours come out so the two can work together well.

khy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 3, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Getting hot and personal in this thread.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lotish posted:

Getting hot and personal in this thread.

Wish my ex-wife read this thread.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I cannot believe that people give a poo poo about dogmeat being on fire and not reacting to it. That happens all the time in video games, including previous Bethesda game Skyrim. It's just a graphical denotation for a damage over time effect that is there so you aren't left wondering what the gently caress when he falls over from the damage.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

loving lol, amazing.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Failboattootoot posted:

I cannot believe that people give a poo poo about dogmeat being on fire and not reacting to it. That happens all the time in video games, including previous Bethesda game Skyrim. It's just a graphical denotation for a damage over time effect that is there so you aren't left wondering what the gently caress when he falls over from the damage.

I am very excited for this game and am going to play the poo poo out of it, and still think it's hilarious and bad.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Failboattootoot posted:

People just nitpick over every single frame of footage because they have nothing better to do and they think wailing and gnashing their teeth about dumb poo poo like 'video game NPCs do not perfectly mimic real people yet' makes them cool.

crabcakes66 posted:

I am very excited for this game and am going to play the poo poo out of it, and still think it's hilarious and bad.

Would you even have noticed it if someone didn't point it out?

\/\/\/ that too

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

I don't understand what they want Dogmeat to do? Make horrid dog screams and yelps while running around in a loving panic? Yeah, that's WAY better.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

I don't understand what they want Dogmeat to do? Make horrid dog screams and yelps while running around in a loving panic? Yeah, that's WAY better.

I think people are wanting him to stop, drop, and roll. Then they'd pick apart the roll footage and discuss how badly animated the dog's rolling is.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Is there any leaked footage of weapon / armor modding or the settling gameplay? I can have a lot of fun scrounging for parts if they're used to do interesting things with gear or building structures (got a lot of fun out of mods for FO3 and NV that enabled that sort of stuff), so I hope those mechanics are fleshed out and varied to a good degree in vanilla FO4.

Even if they're not mind-blowing, I hope they at least have a fair bit of complexity for modders to go hog wild with in the future.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

You dont have to defend todd howard and his game hes actually getting paid for this and its not a labor of love. You have no stake in it so you dont need to defend todd howard et al.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

strong bird posted:

You dont have to defend todd howard and his game hes actually getting paid for this and its not a labor of love. You have no stake in it so you dont need to defend todd howard et al.

You'll find no soul in this thread seriously defending T-Dog

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Magmarashi posted:

Hey you asked for the leaked videos earlier, I put them up here, hope it works.

Also I found another video with leaked footage I haven't seen before. featuring mirelurks, mirelurks babies, Professor Goodfeels and hacking

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I had zero bugs from skyrim and I got it at launch. I think this will be a fun game and I preordered it last night because I have the money to so why not?

My only hope is that I can ignore/drop the dog as fast and possible and never have to gently caress around with power armor.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

strong bird posted:

I'm defending it because I think that excessive negativity and weird obsessions with visible development figures are terrible aspects of the already horrid cesspit known as "gaming culture." stuff like the crazy hype trains and shouting down valid criticism is also bad.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Glimpse into the bright future of Fallout 4 combat sounds:

Dogmeat: No Bones About It, I'm Taking Fire Damage!
Super Mutant: Rarggh! Crush You!
Super Mutant: Rarggh! I'm Going To Eat Your Legs!
Super Mutant: Rarggh! I Never Should Have Left The Academy! [Clever X-Men Ref]

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

crabcakes66 posted:

I certainly won't deny that it's hilarious.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

frajaq posted:

Hey you asked for the leaked videos earlier, I put them up here, hope it works.

Also I found another video with leaked footage I haven't seen before. featuring mirelurks, mirelurks babies, Professor Goodfeels and hacking

Sweet, thanks

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

frajaq posted:

Lmao that scope on the AR, what the gently caress.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Failboattootoot posted:

i can't believe people make the funnies either, its not right

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm very excited to play the latest Fallout game because the previous Fallout games were pretty good even if they weren't perfect. I have not been devouring information on the game but I plan on honoring my nation's veterans by spending my government holy day playing this game. I looked at some of the images that were leaked recently and the one thing that worried me was the UI. The ammo counter looks very plain, and the HP and compass look similarly spartan. I can appreciate minimalist design, but I think it looks a little cheap and not exciting in the slightest. Perhaps it will be an aspect of the game that can be modded, but since I will be playing this on a console I do not have high hopes for my modding experience. Luckily I know that by the time I decide to make a powerful gaming PC, the game will be in regular sale rotation on Steam.

I did not look at any of the leaked videos because I did not want to spoil myself on the experience, but I do continue to read spoiler'd text in this thread because I, like everyone else on these forums, have a rare variety of brain damage. Going from the gif of the flaming dog, I do not expect a better HUD to be available at release. Does anyone know otherwise?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Meowbot posted:

HOW do people get that much time out of these games? You DO REALIZE there are MUCH more fulfilling games to play for that period of time? Where the progression actually matters and means something?

Meowbot posted:

This is disappointing. I don't really care about the story and I wanted to play a good JRPG game with decent combat and from all the trailers/reviews I've seen it seems that is where the game shines.

Good to know there is like no reason to play this game since the story isnt good (padded), dungeons arent good to explore, and combat is just mashing a andb :(

Meowbot posted:

One of the first things I have always reinstalled after a fresh reformat is Ravenshield. Playing terrorist hunt on lone wolf with ~30 bots on a harder difficulty can take hours to win, but when you do it feels great. I love the poo poo out of that game and was hoping Siege was a return to form. My favorite map is the island one.

No game has came close to the sound effects of Ravenshield. That game has the BEST gun sounds! Siege was a let down when it came to the gun sounds so far.

:catstare:

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Glimpse into the bright future of Fallout 4 combat sounds:

Super Mutant: Rarggh! I'm Going To Eat Your Legs!
Super Mutant: Rarggh! I Never Should Have Left The Academy! [Clever X-Men Ref]

ive heard of a hot dog but this is reidiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Why does the gore look worse now than ever before?

• Locked thread