Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rallos posted:

Pom Pom crabs look awesome! Would it get along with my emerald crab?

mine are ok, but they're pretty aggressive. They love to box and fight fish and if you put your hand near the glass when they're walking by they'll try to fight you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

visuvius posted:

I'm close but not close enough or else I'd take you up on that offer. Pasadena is a bitch of a drive from South OC. I will probably need a chiller for the 25 gallon office tank I'm setting up.
whooops, god why doesn't this forum have notifications, ended up selling on craigslist for $180 before I saw this.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

This is a innovative marine fusion 10 with a coral compulsion 24w par38 led (20k variant).

No color shift from the phone camera on this, that's how it looks in person.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I am really impressed with this par38, it's probably the best for a 8 to 14 cube tank. A mere 6 hours of light on this tank and the zoo frags look perfectly happy.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
That's a nice looking tank. I've been thinking of getting one of those instead of my huge LED that I have now. If I end up setting up a 20 or 30 gallon at home I can use the big light for that and a smaller par38 for the spec v.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Got a minute to try out the manual mode on my cell camera. I'm really surprised by the results to be honest. I can't believe how close I can get with a tiny cell lens.

I feel like my acans aren't has happy as they could be. They are as fleshy as I've seen them in a while in this picture, usually they are more receded. I can't figure out what the problem is. Water parameters are on point and they've been like this for months.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

visuvius posted:

Got a minute to try out the manual mode on my cell camera. I'm really surprised by the results to be honest. I can't believe how close I can get with a tiny cell lens.

I feel like my acans aren't has happy as they could be. They are as fleshy as I've seen them in a while in this picture, usually they are more receded. I can't figure out what the problem is. Water parameters are on point and they've been like this for months.

Manual mode, G4?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Yeah, it's nuts. There's a focal range thing I hadn't messed with before and it turns out you can get REALLY close, like closer than the glass would allow. Being able to quickly adjust ISO, white balance and shutter speed really lets you dial in the shot.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

visuvius posted:

Yeah, it's nuts. There's a focal range thing I hadn't messed with before and it turns out you can get REALLY close, like closer than the glass would allow. Being able to quickly adjust ISO, white balance and shutter speed really lets you dial in the shot.

I absolutely love my G4. I really hope the manual mode trend continues and branches out to other makers. With all the tech available, there's no reason not to have that as an option anymore.

Nice pics, btw :)

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
We need to get more life in this thread. The freshwater thread moves way faster.

Surely we can't be the only goons pissing away all of our money on colorful rocks? :grin:

Rallos fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 3, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Office tank, Galaxy Note 5, "Pro" camera mode (manual mode, tbqh only thing I'm adjusting here is focal length)

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Nice. What size/brand tank are you using?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
That's the JBJ rimless 8gal.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
Okay guys, a lot of you end up with photos that look great of your tanks. How the poo poo do I take photos of my stuff that don't suck balls? I have an iphone 6 and I feel like every photo looks like a blue blob.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Okay guys, a lot of you end up with photos that look great of your tanks. How the poo poo do I take photos of my stuff that don't suck balls? I have an iphone 6 and I feel like every photo looks like a blue blob.

Same, even if I push the WB as far as it will go.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

I've noticed over the years that my ladyfriend's iPhone simply WILL NOT take a good pic of our tank. I dunno if it's the sensor or what, and I'm 100% not knocking iphone vs android or whatever, but the actinics always make the pictures come out terribly.

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007
You need an app that will let you adjust the white balance and ISO manually. VSCOcam will let you do it and its free

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

It's good to know it's not just a me problem. I have heard a lot of things about the clip on lenses, but never actually a link to "this is the one I use on Amazon, it's great!" just photos posted with a disclaimer about using one... so I'm not sure what the hell a lot of them are talking about.

Here are the only good photos I have of my adorable idiots. The nice ones are from when a photographer was at my house to shoot other things and lit my coral tank to take some photos before the lights came on. All of these are from March, except for the one of the solo anemone and the eels. Solo anemone is from the first day I bought it years ago(14 splits and counting!) and the eels are from today.

I have a coral tank, an eel tank (:krakken:), and a FOWLR. It's REALLY hard to get any photos of my fish only tank, those fuckers can move.

My coral tank is the usual fare, though when hobbyists see it they tend to freak over my three goni's and my Ponape Birdsnest. I have a few Jason Fox's and other interesting acros that usually only I give a poo poo about.

My eel tank is a super rad mega structure of rock that four happy eels live in. Here's some pictures of it all built and set up before I moved them all in from what is now my FOWLR:

A close up of her sexy undercarriage :tutbutt:

My FOWLR could use some love. I adore the fish I have in it, but I want more. I'm not sure who to add, or how to spice it up in there. It's a 180 gallon, 6' long. Currently houses:
Stars & Stripes Puffer
Magnificent Foxface
Emperor Angel
Harlequin Tuskfish (Australian)

Any thoughts goons?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Any thoughts goons?

My only thought is that I'm jealous as hell! Nice tanks! I would love to have an eel tank like that, someday maybe.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I was looking at dwarf morays the other day and I was like :sigh: someday.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Yeah.. Major jealousy going on here too. Ever since I was a kid I always wanted a Moray! Great specimin you have there. :allears:

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007

:eyepop: holy moly

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Any thoughts goons?

Nice tanks man. That is a super clean sump and cabinet area. Mine is a loving mess and I really need to clean it up.

Trying to figure out how I can fit a refugium into this disaster.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Thanks for the compliments guys! It helps a lot that I live in Orlando with so many great LFS stores nearby!

I used to have a shark and a ray too, traded them to a guy that shops at my store with a beautiful 1000 gallon tank when they grew up.

You wanna talk about tank envy? His reef is INCREDIBLE! I wish I had pictures.

Still seeking any advice or recommendations on the FOWLR additions! I can't make up my mind at all. :(

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
My pick for that tank: Achilles goldrim hybrid tang.

So gorgeous.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

^^
Maybe I need to see one in person? I actually think the normal Achilles is prettier! I've considered an Achilles (they are my husbands favorite) but have heard a lot of horror stories about them. Anyone here have one?

broken clock opsec posted:

Yeah I was looking at dwarf morays the other day and I was like :sigh: someday.

Rallos posted:

Yeah.. Major jealousy going on here too. Ever since I was a kid I always wanted a Moray! Great specimin you have there. :allears:

I have an eel in my coral tank (her name is Joanna) and she does very well! She's a golden dwarf moray, got her at about 4" she's currently about 8" with a usual max size of 10". If you are interested in having an eel, without having to worry about it eating everything, I highly recommend one. I was lucky enough to get her for only $100, they are usually quite a bit more.

Time for some Eel talk! :krakken:

Eels can make great additions to your aquarium life! I'm a little biased because I have 7 of them, but we'll just ignore that and call it "experience." I'll include the scientific names for easier googling, since sometimes the common names are used for multiple species (looking at you, "Spotted Moray").

If you are interested in adding an eel to your tank, there are a few things to consider! Gymnothorax (basically, Eels) and more specifically Muraenidae (Morays) are broken down into two major categories that you would need to consider first as an aquarist: fang toothed, and pebble toothed. Most people when they think of eels think of the Green Moray. The huge, hulking, toothy monsters that have the reputation of tearing fingers off (they can, and will!). They are a perfect example of a fang toothed moray!
Fang toothed morays are ambush predators- they have excellent vision, which they use to watch for prey. These are the fish eaters. Fang toothed morays are usually a red flag to most aquarists due to their large max size, and their ability to comedy murder all of your fish. Those chromis won't stand a chance. The most common fang toothed moray seen in the aquarium trade is the Tessalata Eel (Gymnothorax favagineus). I have one, his name is Nikolai, and he is a monster (a sweet, huge, adorable monster). I have a personal problem with this eel being the usual poster child for fang toothed morays in the home aquairum world, and it's this: they can grow to be 6'. That's SIX FEET. Mine is currently about 5', so he's almost there! Most stores stock eels when they are small, as they are usually wild caught, and don't educate people that they will grow up to be huge monsters. Other common ones that you will see are the Black Edge Moray (Gymnothorax saxicola) max size of 3', though most only grow to be 2, the Jeweled Moray (Muraena lentiginosa) another 2 footer usually, the Whitemouth Moray (Gymnothorax meleagris) with the max size of 4', and the Dragon Moray (Enchelycore pardalis) which are bomb rear end mother fuckers who grow to be 3-4' and you will wish you had one as soon as you google that, god drat. Because of their excellent vision, once they learn who you are (yes, they can see you through the glass) they will begin to "greet" you and "ask" for things!
Pebbled toothed morays are usually the more common eels in the trade, and are widely considered to be "reef safe" because of their calmer nature and that they won't eat all your fish... they will however eat any invert you put in that tank. Pebble toothed morays are easily distinguishable from their fang toothed brothers because of their round, stumpy, stout faces. With poor vision, they usually hide in the day, and root around for crabs and other delicious inverts to crush under their unforgiving molars at night. Common pebble toothed morays in the trade are the Snowflake Eel (Echidna nebulosa) growing to 2-3', the Chain Moray (Echidna catenata) usually only 2', the Barred Moray (Echidna polyzona) again 2', and the Zebra Eel (Gymnomuraena zebra) which will grow to 5'. Easy to care for, and easy to pair up with other eels, you could fill a tank with pebble toothed eels and rarely have an issue.

The next thing to consider after type, is size. These animals can get BIG, and need specific food, tank space, and care. If you are seeking a small, friendly addition to your reef life, I again can not recommend the Golden Dwarf Moray enough! PLEASE make sure that the animal you are getting is a Golden DWARF Moray (Gymnothorax melatremus) with a max size around 10 inches, and not the Golden Moray (Gymnothorax miliaris) which has a max size of two feet. Miliaris can be sold at a very young age, and are sometimes marketed as the dwarf eel by idiots or jerks, depending on the store. The easiest way to tell the difference is with the eyes. Melatremus usually have blue eyes, though sometimes not, and the pupils are always long, like a cats (example). Miliaris usually have yellow eyes, with a round pupil (example). If you want something a little bigger, my next recommendation would be a snowflake eel. Usually only growing to two feet, they can join in on reef tank fun if the tank size is adequate. A very bare minimum of 60 gallons (long, not square) with plenty of rock would give it a happy life, but I personally would not put one in any tank under 120 gallons, to be nice to it and it's tank mates. Most eels require technically very little space. They usually pick a cave, make it their home, and rarely move from it. The biggest thing to consider is if the eel should move from its cave, would it have enough space to "stretch out and swim" at it's maximum size?

Eels are usually very easy to care for, and can actually be trained! Make sure you have a tight fitting lid and overflow covers, lest you want to find your eel in your filter socks, sump, or somewhere in your kitchen. They can survive quite a long time outside of water thanks to their mucus layer, and will slither around trying to get back to water and end up in weird places. Don't let that happen by putting a lid on your tank.

I guess my last piece of advice is don't buy a ribbon eel.

If I didn't cover something or created more questions, feel free to ask me!

Mudcrab Merchant fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 4, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Maybe I need to see one in person? I actually think the normal Achilles is prettier! I've considered an Achilles (they are my husbands favorite) but have heard a lot of horror stories about them. Anyone here have one?

Oh no, I agree that the normal Achilles is probably the most STRIKINGLY beautiful. I just think the hybrid can be prettier overall.

quote:

the Dragon Moray (Enchelycore pardalis) which are bomb rear end mother fuckers who grow to be 3-4' and you will wish you had one as soon as you google that, god drat

Holy moly.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Awesome eel stuff...

:allears:

I need to get a bigger house so I can have a large tank for one of those guys!!!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Can anyone explain why the percentages on this calulator:

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

Don't add up to 100%? Is it just broken math or is there a reason I'm not understanding?

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
The number on top defaults to gallons and the number on the bottom is a percent of total gallons so they would not add up to 100.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm referring to the final values once you plug in all your numbers. Percentage of old vs new water.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

That's what Rallos is saying though - the final values are not both percentages. The top final value is in gallons while the bottom is a percentage.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

revmoo posted:

I'm referring to the final values once you plug in all your numbers. Percentage of old vs new water.

Yeah. The two numbers below the calculate button. The top one is a number of gallons/liters/whatever and the bottom one is a percent.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Oh haha ok I get it. Thanks!

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
In other news: I brought my DSLR Camera to work today and took some good terrible macro photos of my corals. My asshat clownfish wont hold still long enough to get a decent shot and of course when I bring out the camera the emerald crab fucks right off and hides. I don't have the capability to edit them here at work so I will post when I get home.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rallos posted:

In other news: I brought my DSLR Camera to work today and took some good terrible macro photos of my corals. My asshat clownfish wont hold still long enough to get a decent shot and of course when I bring out the camera the emerald crab fucks right off and hides. I don't have the capability to edit them here at work so I will post when I get home.

I've only ever been able to get decent fish photos with manual focusing. Auto-focus just takes too drat long.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Enos Cabell posted:

I've only ever been able to get decent fish photos with manual focusing. Auto-focus just takes too drat long.

Yeah. I don't have a clue what I'm doing with manual mode yet. What settings do you like to use?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rallos posted:

Yeah. I don't have a clue what I'm doing with manual mode yet. What settings do you like to use?

I usually go with shutter speed around 1/120, aperture wide open, ISO around 800 depending on light, and then just follow a fish around while manually focusing. Leaning in and out a tiny bit can help to fine tune the focus, but you'll still probably get 5-10 bad shots for every decent in focus shot.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Also adjust your white balance. Don't be afraid to go lower on ISO and try different shutter speeds.

A tripod and a $20 remote shutter will go a long way in getting better quality shots. Having said that, I'll be taking 99% of my tank shots with my phone at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Even my phone camera has manual WB, with one of the options being a Kelvin rating slider that I can drag up to 10000K.

• Locked thread