Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Klaus88 posted:

I got polled today. :sureboat:

By the Americans for Prosperity. :smith:

I told him the Federal government should increase spending in order to improve the economy. :unsmigghh:

"Thank you for your response; 'not sure' will be marked down for you, and thank you again for participating in the AFP poll!"

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Fried Chicken posted:

Historically speaking? Yeah, it is
If by businesses they mean Unions, and by They they mean Businesses, then yeah.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I was handed a republican voting guide by Tony Pham's wife which was useful in determining which of the unlabeled candidates in small district and country positions I should not vote for.

Since I helped primary Eric Cantor by stunt voting for Dave Brat in 2014, so I know my county is a solid republican lock for small elections but it is still nice to have my vote come closer to meaning something in national elections at least compared to my time in AZ (though at least then Sinema was my rep :swoon:).

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Turnquiet posted:

I was handed a republican voting guide by Tony Pham's wife which was useful in determining which of the unlabeled candidates in small district and country positions I should not vote for.

Since I helped primary Eric Cantor by stunt voting for Dave Brat in 2014, so I know my county is a solid republican lock for small elections but it is still nice to have my vote come closer to meaning something in national elections at least compared to my time in AZ (though at least then Sinema was my rep :swoon:).

I'd like to imagine that you sometimes see Cantor wandering around your district and you get to point and laugh at him because he missed out on being speaker. Maybe offer to treat him to a steak dinner while you're at it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm guessing Cantor looks at the piles of cash he's getting now and then the madness of Paul Ryan being a RINO to the Tea Party and thinks to himself "eh, maybe I dodged a bullet.."

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Radish posted:

I'm guessing Cantor looks at the piles of cash he's getting now and then the madness of Paul Ryan being a RINO to the Tea Party and thinks to himself "eh, maybe I dodged a bullet.."

Yeah, that feels more likely, doesn't it? :(

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Swagger Dagger posted:

I hope Jon Stewart ends up becoming John Oliver's boss again somehow

Nonononono. John becomes Jon's boss is much more interesting.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Solkanar512 posted:

I'd like to imagine that you sometimes see Cantor wandering around your district and you get to point and laugh at him because he missed out on being speaker. Maybe offer to treat him to a steak dinner while you're at it.

Believe me, Cantor never walks around that district. Walking is for the poors.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, that feels more likely, doesn't it? :(

I've come to terms with horrible people almost never getting their karmic justice. I just want them to be removed from positions of power so Cantor getting dunked and forgotten about is still a win in my book. :unsmith:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Radbot posted:

Glad to see the Midwest/East loving up what the West has already accomplished (drama-free legalization of cannabis) a long time ago.

California is a sore counterpoint to this.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I was going to go vote today after my trip to the doctor and apparently our municipal elections were in June here in Vegas. I feel dumb.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mister Macys posted:

"Thank you for your response; 'not sure' will be marked down for you, and thank you again for participating in the AFP poll!"

:tinfoil:

No :tinfoil: is required for what you know is absolutely true.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I already voted with my absentee ballot two weeks ago because washington state is the best state :smug:

CortezFantastic posted:

I hope I don't become this bored and angry when I'm old

When I was a kid, my dad was cool and progressive as gently caress.

Now he's somewhat socially conservative and likes that trump speaks his mind.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

I already voted with my absentee ballot two weeks ago because washington state is the best state :smug:

This is my mom.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

9/11?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So I've been telling about the bad interactions, I should probably mention more of the good.

Had one guy refuse the card as a republican who then pointed to the FedEx truck and started talking about hidden symbols in it and then other ones like the arrow in Amazon being a->z

Had like a 45 minute conversation with Joanne. Joanne is a lifelong republican (and she turns 90 in February) so she didn't want the card but she was also new to the retirement home. She had been packing for a trip to see her family when all of a sudden she felt really dizzy and had her vision go blurry. So she went and laid down. Same deal second day. By the third day she was worried because she was still dizzy in the shower and she could fall and hurt herself. So she got cleaned up and drove to the hospital, which was quite the challenge with her vision being off. It turns out she was having congenital heart failure for the past 3 days and it was quite a bother to get it taken care of. The anesthesia didn't work when they proved the big cross body vein so it really hurt be she didn't complain because she isn't a complainer. They still don't want her driving but she drives herself down to see the hockey team play because no one else wants to go but she loves hockey. On their first date her late husband took her to a hockey game and got the whole team and coaches to come to the restaurant afterwards to thank her for coming because he knew how much she loved hockey. She wasn't sure where she was going to go today because she shouldn't go out to eat because she had a whole pizza last night (this woman was maybe 80lbs soaking wet) so she was going to go shopping.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
My parents were strong Trump supporters for a while.

Now they've switched to enthusiastically supporting Sanders.

:shrug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Kentucky may very well be dicked. I did get a flyer on my doorknob reminding me to vote, which was super clever, because I got a late start this morning and completely forgot. There's been zero GOTV efforts outside of a few signs posted in Louisville, which is one of two places Conway really needs to run up the score in.

How are they so bad at this? How? I'm really beginning to think the problem isn't the voters, it's that Democrats just cannot be bothered to give a poo poo for non-Presidential elections.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Well, that was underwhelming. Just a ballot of a handful of propositions for municipal and park funding and such. Oh well, still did my part :911:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Chokes McGee posted:

Kentucky may very well be dicked. I did get a flyer on my doorknob reminding me to vote, which was super clever, because I got a late start this morning and completely forgot. There's been zero GOTV efforts outside of a few signs posted in Louisville, which is one of two places Conway really needs to run up the score in.

How are they so bad at this? How? I'm really beginning to think the problem isn't the voters, it's that Democrats just cannot be bothered to give a poo poo for non-Presidential elections.
The Democrats have been bad downticket for years. The last person to even try to fix this problem was Howard Dean, and he was fired as head of the DNC for it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

DaveWoo posted:

I have heard of more than a few Trump and Sanders supporters. I think it boils down to people seeing them both as outsiders that want to change the way the government works. Problem is that the changes they're looking for are completely the opposite of each other. People who only look at the barest surface don't seem to get that though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

Had like a 45 minute conversation with Joanne. Joanne is a lifelong republican (and she turns 90 in February) so she didn't want the card but she was also new to the retirement home. She had been packing for a trip to see her family when all of a sudden she felt really dizzy and had her vision go blurry. So she went and laid down. Same deal second day. By the third day she was worried because she was still dizzy in the shower and she could fall and hurt herself. So she got cleaned up and drove to the hospital, which was quite the challenge with her vision being off. It turns out she was having congenital heart failure for the past 3 days and it was quite a bother to get it taken care of. The anesthesia didn't work when they proved the big cross body vein so it really hurt be she didn't complain because she isn't a complainer. They still don't want her driving but she drives herself down to see the hockey team play because no one else wants to go but she loves hockey. On their first date her late husband took her to a hockey game and got the whole team and coaches to come to the restaurant afterwards to thank her for coming because he knew how much she loved hockey. She wasn't sure where she was going to go today because she shouldn't go out to eat because she had a whole pizza last night (this woman was maybe 80lbs soaking wet) so she was going to go shopping.

Change the name and she could be my grandmother.

I miss my grandmother. :(

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

I legitimately get the appeal of Trump. He's got that magical power that makes him hard to dislike on a personal or emotional level.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

fool_of_sound posted:

I legitimately get the appeal of Trump. He's got that magical power that makes him hard to dislike on a personal or emotional level.
And even if you hate him, you can't just ignore him.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

I have heard of more than a few Trump and Sanders supporters. I think it boils down to people seeing them both as outsiders that want to change the way the government works. Problem is that the changes they're looking for are completely the opposite of each other. People who only look at the barest surface don't seem to get that though.

Yeah, the main criteria for my parents is that they "don't sound like a typical politician". Their actual policies are secondary.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

fool_of_sound posted:

He also uses populist rhetoric while the other GOP candidates are careful never to stray from the "gently caress the poor" message.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

JT Jag posted:

The Democrats have been bad downticket for years. The last person to even try to fix this problem was Howard Dean, and he was fired as head of the DNC for it.

I was just about to post the same loving thing. Why in the hell is Dean hated by so much of the DNC establishment, and why was he completely ignored by the Obama administration? I can't help but think if he had been around that 2010 wouldn't have been so bad.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, the main criteria for my parents is that they "don't sound like a typical politician". Their actual policies are secondary.

I think the fact that the Presidential race is sometimes more about electing America's Father shouldn't be overlooked. It's completely part of the idea behind the type of candidate you'd like to have a beer with and Obamarama.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Right now Trump is using Bush to attack Rubio, it's fantastic. He's really amazing at politics. The gist is basically "Bush is absolutely right about Marco Rubio and its really gonna hurt him, but Bush isn't smart enough to get his message out so he only hurt himself."

Taking about Rubios credit card problems and how he used campaign funds to repave his driveway.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

they're both in favor of government supporting the middle class like it used to before the Reaganite goof troop came to power. it's a testament to just how bad things have gotten that even the racists are willing to toss the racism aside to vote for bernie

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Fun story from the canvassing field. I'm stumping for Jeremy McPike in Dale City, VA. See an old man with fliers and a tablet. Hello friend, are we being redundant? "Nice to meet you, I'm Hal Parrish."

It's loving Election Day and you're stumping for votes yourself? Do you have no staff? Are you hosed? I think he's hosed. Virginia Senate goes blue tonight. Book it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

icantfindaname posted:

they're both in favor of government supporting the middle class like it used to before the Reaganite goof troop came to power. it's a testament to just how bad things have gotten that even the racists are willing to toss the racism aside to vote for bernie

I don't think the racists have much to worry about from a Sanders administration.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Is taking to a family friend recently who supported both Trump and Sanders. It turns out the most important issue to them was slowing outsourcing, so it actually sorta made sense for her to support those two. :shrug:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

fool_of_sound posted:

JT Jag posted:

And even if you hate him, you can't just ignore him.

I'd say this article sums up the appeal of Trump better than just about anything.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

This is a good point. Sanders spoke a lot about bringing power back to the people and getting money out of politics at the rally I attended, and his nationalist ideas weren't totally unlike Trump, racism aside. I can kind of see where there would be (limited and weird) overlap.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mulva posted:

I don't think the racists have much to worry about from a Sanders administration.

Said a racist.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"And you are ballot 100."

Things you don't want to hear as someone who lives in a deep blue district

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Nonsense posted:

Said a racist.

What?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

note: minorities may be immune to trumps magical charm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

it's going to be loving amazing when the american electorate wakes up from its 40 year libertarian fever dream and starts voting for democrats (sanders) and dixiecrats (trump) again

• Locked thread