Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, i'm used to the screeching of cicadas for most of the year like the majority of people who live in my area are, but with this i imagine if said screeching is inside of my head and constantly playing over and over again in such a way where i can't block it out and it's making it hard to function or even think. it's kind of horrifying to imagine. definitely not on par with some of the body horror poo poo that happens, but as far as psychological horror goes it's something that can really gently caress with a person.

also, i like how the whole 'hatching from an egg' thing kinda plays off the way koichi got his stand in the first place. technically he shouldn't have survived getting shot by the arrow as his spiritual presence wasn't really up to snuff at the time, but, he has one now. what else would it manifest as, other than untapped potential? he couldn't really do anything with it at first, probably because he was disoriented as gently caress and might not have been putting much effort into it before, but now his family is in serious danger. if there was ever a time to step up and give it all he's got, now would be it. at that point he's deemed worthy enough and his stand bursts out of its shell. it's a pretty direct parallel, but given that araki is still treading new ground with a lot of this stuff it's a neat little characterization of the whole link between a person's fortitude, their stand, and how it's a direct manifestation of the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Thing is, when you've lived in a rural area all your life you get used to certain sounds playing for long periods of time. It becomes background noise. Araki does his best to tell me that it's really bad, but I think I really need to hear it to be sold on it. My imagination only goes so far after I've learned to tune out the loud din of farm equipment running just across the street for hours on end.

It's not so much a constant dr -- SMASH!!! -- one as it -- SMASH!!! -- is a pervading, unset -- SMASH!!! -- ling jarring of whatever you might have expect -- SMASH!!! -- to hear -- SMASH!!! -- for the rest of your perceiv -- SMASH!! -- able exist -- SMASH!! -- ence. You might even go a particularly long moment without hearing it, and you'll be able to relax, when sudd -- SMASH!!!-- enly you hear it again. And you're constantly on edge, -- SMASH!! -- your heart is beating hard and your nerves are -- SMASH!! -- frayed and you just CAN'T HANDLE IT ANY-- SMASH!! -- MORE WHAT THE gently caress IS -- SMASH!! -- GOING ON?? WHAT DID HE DO TO YOU?

Xibanya posted:

Have you ever had a bad trip?

You're constantly, hearing that sound -- SMASH!!! -- over and over again and you can't STOP HEARING IT no matter what -- SMASH!!! -- you do or think or, -- SMASH!!! -- it constantly invades your mind and you look wildly around you and all you can see, all you can hear, is that sound over and over -- SMASH!!! -- again and you fall to your hands and knees -- SMASH!!! -- it keeps COMING and COM -- SMASH!!! -- ING.

SMASH!!!

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Also, it's welling up from inside his head so there is literally no way it can be tuned out.

quote:

Given the symbolism of hatching from an egg and the idea that Koichi is showing a previously unknown side of himself, it wouldn't surprise me if this was some kind of pokemon stand that evolved or something, particularly since it looks kinda like a bug.

:allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bad Seafood posted:

Imagine the same sound being played over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Directly into your ear. Forever.

It's like a cicada from hell.

Speaking of bugs, Koichi and Echoes are pretty blatant references to Gohan and Cell, of course.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's like a cicada from hell.

Speaking of bugs, Koichi and Echoes are pretty blatant references to Gohan and Cell, of course.

Echoes has to absorb the stands Cha-La Head Cha-La and We Gotta Power in order to reach its Perfect Form, at which point the Echoes Games start.

It's a very strange departure from the rest of the Part.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

also, i like how the whole 'hatching from an egg' thing kinda plays off the way koichi got his stand in the first place. technically he shouldn't have survived getting shot by the arrow as his spiritual presence wasn't really up to snuff at the time, but, he has one now. what else would it manifest as, other than untapped potential? he couldn't really do anything with it at first, probably because he was disoriented as gently caress and might not have been putting much effort into it before, but now his family is in serious danger. if there was ever a time to step up and give it all he's got, now would be it. at that point he's deemed worthy enough and his stand bursts out of its shell. it's a pretty direct parallel, but given that araki is still treading new ground with a lot of this stuff it's a neat little characterization of the whole link between a person's fortitude, their stand, and how it's a direct manifestation of the former.

It's good in terms of being something that physically shows his transformation; I mean you kind of got a hint that there was more to him but now you see it. Watching Echoes work (and again, I won't spoil anything else!) is kind of neat regardless of my opinions about Koichi.

Especially given that we get to watch the way it works when you acquire a Stand a little bit later. I mean, obviously lots of characters we have/will come across are in that boat because of the Arrow but with Koichi we see a different way that it pans out than, say, what you saw with Jotaro --- who obviously didn't have full stand mastery when he first got it in SDC (and, really, doesn't even have it until Stone Ocean but was still basically who he is, more or less, so Star Platinum wasn't exactly hatching out of a shell or anything.

Or I dunno, maybe Star Platinum did hatch. No Jouta jokes

I've had one bad trip in my life with stuff that'd just repeat in my head over and over and yeah even if I can tune out machinery noises after a bit, having something inside your brain like that is kind of horrifying. OK yeah this re-read is teaching me that I've really underestimated Koichi. Goddammit. I don't want to like Koichi

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Goddammit. I don't want to like Koichi

:confused: I liked his character arc just fine and thought he was a fun twist on the audience stand in character. If you don't want to get into why because of spoilers that's totally fine, but you're like the first person I've met who isn't real big on Koichi.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I dunno what it is, exactly. I had a really visceral dislike of him initially because he seemed a little on the goodie two-shoes side but obviously that doesn't stick around for long. I guess I just don't find him particularly interesting, though he has some great stuff coming up. He's extremely inventive with Echoes and saves the day plenty of times but I never quite get into his character. Re-reading it clearly makes a difference, though. I re-read later chunks and realized there are whole pages that I clearly skimmed because I wasn't giving him a chance, so I missed big details.

When I don't immediately click with a character I can be kind of a jerk about them. :(

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

BaDandy posted:

:confused: I liked his character arc just fine and thought he was a fun twist on the audience stand in character. If you don't want to get into why because of spoilers that's totally fine, but you're like the first person I've met who isn't real big on Koichi.

I mean, I'll say Koichi is my least favorite main characters in DiU. I don't hate him, but I don't love him either. He does some cool stuff, but eeeh.

He's very good as an audience surrogate, but I tend to hate most of those, so my mild acceptance of him is maybe a compliment?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hoobajoo posted:

I mean, I'll say Koichi is my least favorite main characters in DiU. I don't hate him, but I don't love him either. He does some cool stuff, but eeeh.

He's very good as an audience surrogate, but I tend to hate most of those, so my mild acceptance of him is maybe a compliment?

this is kinda sorta the way i feel about it. i don't like him as much, but in the end that's not that bad given that everyone else is...basically top-tier. it's really stiff competition.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Koichi owns. :colbert:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Reminder that I cannot be trusted because my initial take on Diamond is Unbreakable before reading it was that Josuke Higashikata was a teenage hoodlum hanging out with a gang of ne'er-do-wells who trashed Italian restaurants for fun and accidentally managed to beat bad guys in spite of being punks.

I literally based this on two images of Josuke (an early one and "I'm gonna FIX..." from aurain's title) but was extremely sure that he'd be the worst.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
And for you sharing types, blog is now up to date: https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/lets-read-jjba/

Whew! Saving Koichichat for the fifth part as I feel it will fit better there with the planned recap/conclusion.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Koichi owns. :colbert:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Koichi is basically Krillin in a universe where side characters doesn't get 100% shat on by the power curve, which is pretty cool imo

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I also just got back from an anime con! I was at Youmacon in Detroit. If you don't mind me asking, what con did you go to?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Senor Candle posted:

I also just got back from an anime con! I was at Youmacon in Detroit. If you don't mind me asking, what con did you go to?

It was Oni-Con in Galveston, TX

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
That's some nice cosplay! Loving that coat.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Koichi is basically Krillin in a universe where side characters doesn't get 100% shat on by the power curve, which is pretty cool imo
This is why I came around to Koichi. Initially, he comes across as a cardboard cutout of a character that bad dudes can punch so that you know they're bad dudes--you expect Josuke to swoop in to protect Koichi while the kid tells us how cool this protagonist is. (IIRC Xibanya touched on this in one of the Nijimura Brothers updates.) Then he gets these chapters with Kobayashi, and it's reasonable to assume, "oh, this is the one chapter when he gets to win a fight and look cool, and then he'll go back to being the jobber." But then over the course of Part 4, he starts doing things, developing relationships with characters that don't depend on Josuke's presence, and even participating in fights in a meaningful way. He's still by far the least interesting member of the main cast, but he's so much better than most examples of the audience surrogate character.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Koichi suffers because literally all of Part 4's crew are extremely good and that leaves him in the dust a bit. He comes off poorly because it's in-comaparison to Okuyasu, who is :perfect: and some others we've not met yet.

Jotaro's extremely good as a supporting character too and I prefer it to his starring role.

He's kind of like the Avdol of the group, he'll never be the main attraction but he's still rad.
I'd take the Duwang gang over the Crusaders any day of the week though.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Koichi suffers because literally all of Part 4's crew are extremely good and that leaves him in the dust a bit. He comes off poorly because it's in-comaparison to Okuyasu, who is :perfect: and some others we've not met yet.

Jotaro's extremely good as a supporting character too and I prefer it to his starring role.

He's kind of like the Avdol of the group, he'll never be the main attraction but he's still rad.
I'd take the Duwang gang over the Crusaders any day of the week though.
Agreed on every one of these points! (One of my favourite scenes in all of Part 4--which I hope Xibanya will get to in the distant future--involves Koichi and Okuyasu getting into trouble together.) The Crusaders are cool and all, but they're just not as endearing as the Duwang Gang. I guess mostly because we just don't get that many scenes of them hanging out and seeming like pals (which is understandable considering the nature of their journey: no time to sit around punching spaghetti).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Its stuff like that that make me appreciate the Zenyatta Mondatta fight more for a rare glimpse at what the Crusaders do for fun during downtime. I.e. Stuff like Jotaro showing off a billion party tricks or Polnareff starting eating contests. :allears:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ChaosArgate posted:

Its stuff like that that make me appreciate the Zenyatta Mondatta fight more for a rare glimpse at what the Crusaders do for fun during downtime. I.e. Stuff like Jotaro showing off a billion party tricks or Polnareff starting eating contests. :allears:

Jotaro's hidden repertoire of stupid party tricks is my favorite thing about that episode. It's like a final confirmation of all the little hints about how he's secretly a big goony mama's boy who had no friends and infinite free time up until his Stand first appeared. He can totally do that Thing With The Cigarette without even using Star Platinum to cheat, and that's awesome.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I loved him reading a magazine about the sea during Anubis while Polly got a shave.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

deadly_pudding posted:

Jotaro's hidden repertoire of stupid party tricks is my favorite thing about that episode. It's like a final confirmation of all the little hints about how he's secretly a big goony mama's boy who had no friends and infinite free time up until his Stand first appeared. He can totally do that Thing With The Cigarette without even using Star Platinum to cheat, and that's awesome.

If Araki ever decided to go back and make a one-shot of Jotaro gradually learning his trick, I'd love it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Amaryllis posted:

the Duwang Gang

Super Morioh Bros. :colbert:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I loved him reading a magazine about the sea during Anubis while Polly got a shave.

YES

Jotaro is a complete nerd and it's hilarious to me that he ends up with such a bad boy/tough guy image above all else. He's the sort of person where you'd think that every time Kakyoin mentioned never having any friends he'd kinda laugh and be like yeah wow that must have been awful for you even though I've never had friends either, really

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

YES

Jotaro is a complete nerd and it's hilarious to me that he ends up with such a bad boy/tough guy image above all else. He's the sort of person where you'd think that every time Kakyoin mentioned never having any friends he'd kinda laugh and be like yeah wow that must have been awful for you even though I've never had friends either, really

It's because that what he very deliberately tries to put on, he even wins several fights (including his final round with DIO) by getting his opponent to freak out about what an icy cool badass he is. I've no doubt he practices his yare yare daze in the mirror for hours though, just to get that apathetic contempt just right

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

deadly_pudding posted:

I love how the viewer's thought process unfolds in that episode. First, you think Polnareff is just making up an obvious lie to mess with the villain because he knows whats up, and then you realize, no, actually he is an idiot and of course didn't figure it out, and then you remember that that means Jotaro actually did do party tricks for him.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It's because that what he very deliberately tries to put on, he even wins several fights (including his final round with DIO) by getting his opponent to freak out about what an icy cool badass he is. I've no doubt he practices his yare yare daze in the mirror for hours though, just to get that apathetic contempt just right

He practices the yare yare and has a handful of awful jokes at the ready. My favorite Jotaro line in DiU is not coming up for a long time but it's perfectly Jotaro and is an absolute groaner.

Jojos don't seem to be super into having a lot of friends anyway. Josuke doesn't seem to have a friend in the world until he ends up being chummy with Koichi and Okuyasu, unless he just ditched his old crew out of nowhere.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

deadly_pudding posted:

One of my favorite moments in the very last fight is when Jotaro does the "It's just like in a Western, you know, 'Draw pilgrim,' or something like that," line and Dio's just on the ground, staring up at him and not quite realizing that Jotaro's just being a big goony nerd so he thinks he's toying with him instead.

No, Dio.

Jotaro is actually like that all the time.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Jojos don't seem to be super into having a lot of friends anyway. Josuke doesn't seem to have a friend in the world until he ends up being chummy with Koichi and Okuyasu, unless he just ditched his old crew out of nowhere.

If Koichi at the very beginning of DiU was any hint, Josuke probably just comes across as really intimidating, what with the hair and temper and being six feet tall and still growing and being half white...

JoJo's seem pretty okay with being loners though, yeah. I guess it makes sense if you use that set up to have them meet up with friends in the story to keep up with the "Friendship is awesome you guys" theme.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 4, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Jotaro is a huge nerd.

Just in this case huge also means "Built like a linebacker."

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
He gave a bad guy a loving receipt for crying out loud. You don't get goonier than that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I firmly believe The Lovers is one of the best fights Araki's ever written.

Jotaro's receipt may or may not factor into it (spoiler: it totally does).

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Didn't someone make a video version of this?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I lost this.

I'm glad someone found it.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

hoobajoo posted:

Yes they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I32Nki0dUHQ

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

hoobajoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I32Nki0dUHQ

edit: :argh:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

I'm so glad that video led me to this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ZnS9BnJOc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

God is real

I still like the cr1tikal-as-Jotaro videos an awful lot but these are quite nice too

• Locked thread