Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I predict a sanitized Howard's return to terrestrial radio.

PS how sickening was it to hear Sarah Silverman lecture the audience about her newfound political correctness?

Finndo fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Finndo posted:

Nah. I think he'll stay at Sirius, but cut hours back a lot in order to do a Howard Stern Interview Show like Larry King. He'd have the listeners, it wouldn't require much change, and if he did it via ISBN, he could just stay in Florida.

In an ideal world, he and the team would also put up the old Howard TV episodes on Netflix or YouTube. Hell, put the new interviews up there weekly.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Dr.Caligari posted:

With the weather getting cold, this needs to be (re?) posted

I can't warm up!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Does anybody actually like interview shows?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Human Crouton posted:

Maybe it's the same kind of people who buy biographies. They exist, and they buy a lot of books.

But I have trouble caring at all about interviews unless it's somebody I really like and am interested in.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

They're hit or miss for me. I loved listening to Tina Fey go off about how Paris Hilton was a horrible SNL guest. I want stuff like that.

Ok, so I'm listening to the 30 minute clip of Howard revisiting some classic R&S prank calls, and they bring up the fact that Richard got in trouble when he was younger for making prank calls in his hometown, and Howard's reacting like he's never heard it before. I know he has a lot of stuff happen on the show over the years, and I can just pull up any clip on youtube whenever I want and listen to it as if it just happened, but he didn't even say 'Ohhh, I remember this'. Same with when Eric, after 'In Plain Sight', mentions 'American Dreams', and Howard just has no clue what he's talking about.

Like... really? He also used to constantly mention, each time as if it was the first, how Sour Shoes used to follow him around and bother him. I think the last time he mentioned it was during the SS vs Langford string of calls. It's kind of insane how bad Howard's memory of his own show seems to be, but then again, like I said, a lot has happened. Who knows how I'd handle the same situation.

And yes, I know I've brought up the Sour Shoes mentions before.

EDIT: Also, godDAMN do I want to see Richard and Sal's 15-page long list of dirty names. I mean, could we even, as a collective bunch of thread posters, come up with more than, say, 50?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 3, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Like... really? He also used to constantly mention, each time as if it was the first, how Sour Shoes used to follow him around and bother him. I think the last time he mentioned it was during the SS vs Langford string of calls. It's kind of insane how bad Howard's memory of his own show seems to be, but then again, like I said, a lot has happened. Who knows how I'd handle the same situation.

He doesn't care; he's thinking about "charity" fundraisers or some stupid poo poo like that.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

They are incredibly profitable and surprisingly popular. There is a reason why the Tonight Show has been on the air since 1954. The super successful stuff in the last couple of decades has been the daytime/afternoon talk shows most notably Rosie and Ellen. Very light comedy along with big stars having softball interviews has been the recipe for success there. Hell, it even worked for Leno in late night. Now a straight interview show ala Larry King is not as popular. They do get ratings for big exclusives for big news, although that has always mostly been Larry only with those.

I think if they tried to give Howard a Larry King type of show it will flop. Howard 20-25 years ago would have excelled at that but the modern Howard would die quickly. Something akin to a Ellen with this current makeover could be successful, perhaps in the morning to give a alternative to the Today/GMA garbage.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Finndo posted:

I don't see it. He'd have to abandon radio altogether in order to "reinvent" his image.

Finndo posted:

PS how sickening was it to hear Sarah Silverman lecture the audience about her newfound political correctness?
Wait, what's this now? Was this on the show today?

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

This is a two-point reply but, have you ever met anyone who was a true hardcore narcissist? That's Howard. He's self admitted that, unless it pertains to him directly and makes him look good/bad, he doesn't really pay attention to these moments. He remembers Sour because he told him off in the streets, he remembers Jackie stonewalling on negotiations, etc but of course not what Richard and Sal did even two months ago let alone five years ago.

The other point is, he sometimes goes out of the way to purposely negate that he is into or a fan of something. For example, claiming to never watch Seinfeld yet admitting in a brief moment of candor that his favorite episode was the Merv Griffin set episode. Or mispronouncing words like Torah (toe-ruh), advertisement (ad-ver-dis-ment), or schnorrer (sha-nurr-rer) as if he is entitled not to say them the right way because of his standing in society ("I prank! No one else!")...which is ironic because he always used to bust Jerry Lewis' balls for doing the same poo poo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cliche Guevara posted:

The other point is, he sometimes goes out of the way to purposely negate that he is into or a fan of something. For example, claiming to never watch Seinfeld yet admitting in a brief moment of candor that his favorite episode was the Merv Griffin set episode. Or mispronouncing words like Torah (toe-ruh), advertisement (ad-ver-dis-ment), or schnorrer (sha-nurr-rer) as if he is entitled not to say them the right way because of his standing in society ("I prank! No one else!")...which is ironic because he always used to bust Jerry Lewis' balls for doing the same poo poo.

He used to complain about how big stars treated people like poo poo. Turns out that was only because he wasn't able to get into the club.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Cliche Guevara posted:

This is a two-point reply but, have you ever met anyone who was a true hardcore narcissist? That's Howard. He's self admitted that, unless it pertains to him directly and makes him look good/bad, he doesn't really pay attention to these moments. He remembers Sour because he told him off in the streets, he remembers Jackie stonewalling on negotiations, etc but of course not what Richard and Sal did even two months ago let alone five years ago.

He also invented everything first. I like how he rips on Jay for stealing his ideas, yet around this time last year Howard was doing his own version of "Headlines" which was painfully unfunny.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDZWJj8FoSY

Found this gem today, the ribbing on Scott had me in tears.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

BurtLington posted:

Chkkkk. Ohhhh. It's funny, is it?

You should also listen to when they goof on Scott about taking his son to see The Phantom Menace.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Riosan posted:

Chkkkk. Ohhhh. It's funny, is it?

You should also listen to when they goof on Scott about taking his son to see The Phantom Menace.

That one's great. I've scoured YouTube for every clip of them ripping on Scott.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BurtLington posted:

holy gently caress scott had hair once :aaa:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can't watch now, but is this where "Ten minutes times ten cigarettes, how long is it?!" comes from?

"Uhh, that would be... an hour... wait..."

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I can't watch now, but is this where "Ten minutes times ten cigarettes, how long is it?!" comes from?

"Uhh, that would be... an hour... wait..."

Yeah that's the one.

Kch

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

That's a rug.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It was a terrible toupée.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Finndo posted:

I could see him do something like Nikki Sixx's syndicated show. 10 or 15 minutes of banter or canned interviews and then play music. He could easily record 3 or 4 shows a day since each one would only contain 40-55 minutes of content. Syndicate it around North America and there you go.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Two Kings posted:

It was a terrible toupée.

If I remember right, it was a lot like Tobias from Arrested Development. The toupee looked like poo poo, it apparently hurt to have on, and Scott is still a loser. Chkkk

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Ok, so I'm listening to the 30 minute clip of Howard revisiting some classic R&S prank calls, and they bring up the fact that Richard got in trouble when he was younger for making prank calls in his hometown, and Howard's reacting like he's never heard it before. I know he has a lot of stuff happen on the show over the years, and I can just pull up any clip on youtube whenever I want and listen to it as if it just happened, but he didn't even say 'Ohhh, I remember this'. Same with when Eric, after 'In Plain Sight', mentions 'American Dreams', and Howard just has no clue what he's talking about.
This made me remember that Howard had Sal tell the full details of his G-Man/Cool the Candy Rapper rap album saga two different times years apart. It's a great dopey Sal story, so it is totally worth retelling, but at no point during the second time did anyone on staff even hint at the fact that they had heard the story before. It was so weird.

The Extrapolator
Dec 14, 2006

Now what the fuck are some of these god damn questions?
Did Richard ingesting and guessing beers through his butt happen twice?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah, first time it happened was when Robin was reading some news story about a frat dude dying or something from rear end chugging so Richard spontaneously volunteered to do it. They did it again last week but with pumpkin beer this time.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BurtLington posted:

Yeah that's the one.

Kch

You lie, that lung test video didn't have the '10 minutes...' part. :colbert:

EDIT: Aaaaaaaand it's actually here, within the first 2 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXJjtUlM3Iw

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!"

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 4, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Found this, got scared, then couldn't stop staring.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Nice!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Found this, got scared, then couldn't stop staring.

That's how I imagine Eric looking like if he wasn't disabled: an acne-ridden loser with bad hair and lovely fashion sense.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That's how I imagine Eric looking like if he wasn't disabled: an acne-ridden loser with bad hair and lovely fashion sense.

He genuinely looks like a pedophile here.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

He genuinely looks like a pedophile here.

I am not...a pedophile. You dumbfuck! That is not...a real picture.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amazing.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

You lie, that lung test video didn't have the '10 minutes...' part. :colbert:

EDIT: Aaaaaaaand it's actually here, within the first 2 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXJjtUlM3Iw

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!"

It must take a ton of willpower for Scott and Gary and all the other people Howard dumps on to not mention all the selfish personal poo poo Howard does like use Scott to record his daughter's terrible album.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Former Human posted:

It must take a ton of willpower for Scott and Gary and all the other people Howard dumps on to not mention all the selfish personal poo poo Howard does like use Scott to record his daughter's terrible album.

Makes you really wonder what the place is like when Stern or the regulars aren't there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can't help but laugh out loud, legitimately, every time I hear Eric's voice get washed out by the next song in his country playlist.

Pilot Jim
Aug 23, 2007
I guess those little fuckers finally did run him to the grave. Johnny Fratto has died. You know what to do.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pilot Jim posted:

I guess those little fuckers finally did run him to the grave. Johnny Fratto has died. You know what to do.

Feel like poo poo for the rest of the day? Yeah :smith:

Rest in Peace, ya fucker.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Fratto and Eric are up there together today making radio gold for the angels.

"Eric, look, they said there's no more room in heaven for straight angels. You gotta be a gay angel."

"JOHN-NY, I SA-ID, NOO-O."

"Eric cantcha just SAY you're gay and then just go back when they let you in?"

"NO!"

*suddenly the bunny ranch appears*

*Eric wheels inside*

*pitch black*

*homo room dripping sounds*

"JOHN-NY, I SAI-D N-O!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012