Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Skandranon posted:

The only charge attack that obviously improves the longer you hold it is the conflagration staff, and that's more about increasing the AoE effect, not the damage.

Bolt staff gives off more damage the longer you hold it. Tested it on stationary commanders with my mythic staff. If you hold down and quickly throw a bolt - at most you'll stagger. Hold it down though, watch commanders do backflips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Skandranon posted:

The only charge attack that obviously improves the longer you hold it is the conflagration staff, and that's more about increasing the AoE effect, not the damage.

Nice, that will make a big difference for me since so far I've mostly played dwarf and soldier with the shield and axe or sword.

dogstile posted:

Yeah, early on its a bit rough, i'd say the handgun is probably the most useful item in the game. The dwarf has his crossbow though, so he should be able to take out specials if you tank the r'orge

I really want to get the better soldier gun, but until that happens I'll probably stick to the dwarf since I have his rifle (not that I'm opposed to using bows or crossbows, but I think guns are more fun).

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Stringbean posted:

Bolt staff gives off more damage the longer you hold it. Tested it on stationary commanders with my mythic staff. If you hold down and quickly throw a bolt - at most you'll stagger. Hold it down though, watch commanders do backflips.

Not saying I don't believe you, because I've suspected this, but I don't have a Bolt staff at the moment and never did some actual tests, but did you make sure you were not headshotting them? The secondary fire has the Head Shot ability, so should do a ton more damage to the head, even if only charged to minimum value.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Is this true for all charging attacks?

It's true for all non Bright Wizard witchcraft.

The only value of charging a melee attack more than the minimum split second requirement is considerations of positioning.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's true for all non Bright Wizard witchcraft.

The only value of charging a melee attack more than the minimum split second requirement is considerations of positioning.

WEll holy poo poo I mean I've been taking those slings and arrows thinking I gotta charge this hammer up or it won't save my friends and bleeding out my new kidney holes before I could swing.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Skandranon posted:

Not saying I don't believe you, because I've suspected this, but I don't have a Bolt staff at the moment and never did some actual tests, but did you make sure you were not headshotting them? The secondary fire has the Head Shot ability, so should do a ton more damage to the head, even if only charged to minimum value.

I've tested over several games and I try not to spout nonsense as much as possible. Not to toot my own horn, but I've got a knack for headshots. I'll test it out some more when I've a chance. But I'm 99.8% sure charged bolts do more then quick-fire bolt.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Holy poo poo I went straight from a white quality handgun on the soldier to an orange "Pfalz Harquebuss" handgun. On the first outing I popped two stormvermin's heads in one shot.

My face: :aaa:

Also I'm pretty sure it's one-shotting stormvermin even on body shots in Hard. I'm guessing that won't hold up in nightmare but boy howdy is it nice right now.

I have an orange handgun that penetrates an extra target and also has a chance to add an additional bullet. I once killed an entire stormvermin patrol in one shot.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I've noticed that with the bolt staff if you hold your right click to a certain point it seems to one shot specials and penetrate through entire hordes, but if you just tap the right click it doesn't.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yeah the bolt definitely is improved with longer charging.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Best thing about this game is votekicking dipshits just as you're about to hit the wagon.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Best thing about this game is votekicking dipshits just as you're about to hit the wagon.

I don't really get this.

If they were actively attempting to sabotage your win, presumably they'd have already been votekicked to prevent them from loving you over.
If they were just BAD, you've already made it to the wagon, so why be a prick and boot them after you've already won?

I mean, sometimes people are just bad at video games, or they're young, or they're having an off day or whatever. I don't really see what's accomplished by doing that except making the community that much more toxic.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I don't really get this.

If they were actively attempting to sabotage your win, presumably they'd have already been votekicked to prevent them from loving you over.
If they were just BAD, you've already made it to the wagon, so why be a prick and boot them after you've already won?

I mean, sometimes people are just bad at video games, or they're young, or they're having an off day or whatever. I don't really see what's accomplished by doing that except making the community that much more toxic.

Robbing them of the loot they thought they were about to get? Added bonus if you then invite a friend to get said loot.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Skandranon posted:

Robbing them of the loot they thought they were about to get? Added bonus if you then invite a friend to get said loot.

I dunno. Seems like a lot of effort to punish someone who isn't as good at video games as you think they should be.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Yeah, that is a pretty rear end in a top hat move. If they were good enough to get you to the wagon, let them have their loot then boot them if you want someone better for the next map.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I dunno. Seems like a lot of effort to punish someone who isn't as good at video games as you think they should be.

It is very mean, and profits the host nothing, but that is what draws people to do it, taking pleasure at the suffering of others. You do know where you are, right?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Skandranon posted:

It is very mean, and profits the host nothing, but that is what draws people to do it, taking pleasure at the suffering of others. You do know where you are, right?

Not 4chan?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
its about ethics in video game partyisms

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
I think it's more about not acting like a pubbie dick because isn't that exactly the sort of thing pubbie dicks have been doing?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Don't blame him for being a dick to pubbies for no reason, he probably plays elf and can't help it.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

rezatahs posted:

I think it's more about not acting like a pubbie dick because isn't that exactly the sort of thing pubbie dicks have been doing?

No, you don't get it, it's being a pubbie dick when pubbies do it.

When Goons do it, it's griefing for lulz, and GoonFleet and Dentists and poo poo, and it's all good.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
3 blue 2h hammers 3 blue 2h swords shy of an orange of either on Soldier :saddowns:

Don't even get me started on 1hs and shield that I only have 2 greens of.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
It comes down to something I like to call the Magna Carta of the internet...

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

Who would do that even? Who would go on the internet and be a dick for no reason?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Coolguye posted:

its about ethics in video game partyisms

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, that's.... pretty bad. Just because people are dicks sometimes doesn't make it okay to be a dick yourself. Not a huge deal or anything, but definitely nothing to be proud of.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Skandranon posted:

SA isn't really the same place it was 10 or even 4 years ago. I can't speak for FYAD but we've grown up slightly. Trolling for fun is passe. Rubber necking at other people's stupidity is the new hotness

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Don't be the guy other people complain about in this thread. Then act insufferable over your mastery of the mouse buttons and knowledge that there are more than one. It's pretty simple really.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Al Borland posted:

3 blue 2h hammers 3 blue 2h swords shy of an orange of either on Soldier :saddowns:

Don't even get me started on 1hs and shield that I only have 2 greens of.

You're telling us you have 5 blue two handed weapons and you're not reforging them into a orange 2h?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

the only way i will ever see an orange soldier rifle is by getting 125 white ones

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Azerban posted:

the only way i will ever see an orange soldier rifle is by getting 125 white ones

Same but with longbows :(

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lima posted:

Same but with longbows :(

I too believed this once, and now I have a wonderful master-crafted longbow.

Now, if only I could get another rapier.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
What you guys are looking for is nightmare difficulty. That's where the loot is.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Trudis posted:

What you guys are looking for is nightmare difficulty. That's where the loot is.

and true tears begin

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

DevNull posted:

Yeah, that is a pretty rear end in a top hat move. If they were good enough to get you to the wagon, let them have their loot then boot them if you want someone better for the next map.

gently caress that noise.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Kamikaze Raider posted:

It's got nothing to do with being bad. I'll carry baddies all day long. If you act like an idiot, though, I'll still carry your loving rear end except I'll also make sure you just wasted your loving time because why not? I don't owe assholes poo poo.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 3, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
that just makes you an rear end in a top hat

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

It's got nothing to do with being bad. I'll carry baddies all day long. If you act like an idiot, though, I'll still carry your loving rear end except I'll also make sure you just wasted your loving time because why not? I don't owe assholes poo poo.

The why not is because doing this makes you the rear end in a top hat and idiot.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Tiler Kiwi posted:

that just makes you an rear end in a top hat

Cool. I'm an rear end in a top hat to assholes then, I'll readily admit.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Loot games bring out the worst in people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Stringbean posted:

You're telling us you have 5 blue two handed weapons and you're not reforging them into a orange 2h?

why do that when i can guarantee 1 of each in orange of the types I want?

• Locked thread