Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

it's going to be loving amazing when the american electorate wakes up from its 40 year libertarian fever dream and starts voting for democrats (sanders) and dixiecrats (trump) again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Trump kind of reminds me of when I went ti Cirque de Soliel, and there was a dumpy clown tottering around and then all of a sudden he was vaulting over other performers with quintuple backflips.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

zen death robot posted:

Hell I've seen a few posters in the RSF support Sanders but say they'll vote for Trump instead of Clinton if she wins the primary. I really don't get that one at all.

Anti-establishment, outsider vote. Politics is a game and the sharks have locked up the board, so you just vote for whoever flips the table over. I think it's very understandable for someone who feels disempowered to go for a decisive outsider candidate over a reliable establishment candidate.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Fun story from the canvassing field. I'm stumping for Jeremy McPike in Dale City, VA. See an old man with fliers and a tablet. Hello friend, are we being redundant? "Nice to meet you, I'm Hal Parrish."

It's loving Election Day and you're stumping for votes yourself? Do you have no staff? Are you hosed? I think he's hosed. Virginia Senate goes blue tonight. Book it.

I mean the candidate should be active but for example the one I was assisting is doing phone banking and leaving GOTV to the party. That way we can redirect her contact to precincts that need a boost without the time if driving her over there

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Chokes McGee posted:

"And you are ballot 100."

Things you don't want to hear as someone who lives in a deep blue district

There is a sheet posted on the window of the entrance at my polling center, as of three hours ago 80 people had voted there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Martin Random posted:

Anti-establishment, outsider vote. Politics is a game and the sharks have locked up the board, so you just vote for whoever flips the table over. I think it's very understandable for someone who feels disempowered to go for a decisive outsider candidate over a reliable establishment candidate.

Except I can't really understand how someone in a "flip the tables" sort of mood could vote for a sitting senator.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Solkanar512 posted:

I was just about to post the same loving thing. Why in the hell is Dean hated by so much of the DNC establishment, and why was he completely ignored by the Obama administration? I can't help but think if he had been around that 2010 wouldn't have been so bad.

I'm wondering about this myself. Is it because he's not enough of a shill or something? Is it because of his barbaric yawp on TV?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

California is a sore counterpoint to this.

Sort of? It's essentially fully decriminalized and medical recommendations are easier to get than a DMV appointment. It's not an ideal scenario but at least they've stopped the bong-to-prison pipeline.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Except I can't really understand how someone in a "flip the tables" sort of mood could vote for a sitting senator.

Well, they are Bernie supporters.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zelder posted:

note: minorities may be immune to trumps magical charm

Not down here is Armpit, Georgia!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mulva posted:

I don't think the racists have much to worry about from a Sanders administration.

What do you mean, specifically?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

zoux posted:

Well, they are Bernie supporters.

:jerkbag:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, the main criteria for my parents is that they "don't sound like a typical politician". Their actual policies are secondary.

I've run into tons of people who are more or less ideologically opposed to the idea that specific policies might have specific consequences, or that you can predict the outcomes of particular policies. It runs contrary to the feeling that politics is just opinion and opinions can't be "wrong."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wilderthanmild posted:

Ohio has a very confusing Weed legalization thing with two amendments that appear to counter each other. One that legalizes marijuana and establishes a predetermined number of eligible grow sites.(And allows for personal growth and sharing up to a certain amount). One that establishes a board that reviews any ballot initiative to make sure it doesn't give preferential economic status.(And is worded in such a way that they could pretty much create an arbitrary roadblock to success for any ballot initiative) and explicitly is worded to block initiatives related to schedule 1 substances.(Because they couldn't just name Issue 3 by name?)

In a nutshell, Issue 3 is being predominantly backed by a consortium of investors (who include some NFL players and Nick Lachey, aside from many many more faceless money men) who would be the only ones actually allowed to grow and sell pot in the state (the idea is to limit growing permits to 10 supercenters in farm country- all of which happen to have already been successfully bid on by said investor group).

Everyone else is capped at, literally, four plants for personal use only. If (and only if) the initial monopoly investor group can't keep up with demand, then licenses will be awarded to other producers. But the existing super center owners also have the right to solicit their neighbors for land purchase and they can expand the size of their centers more-or-less indefinitely that way.

It's crony capitalism of the highest order and it would set up a de facto monopoly before the drug is even legal in the state.

Some big national legalization groups are weakly behind the bill (because any legalization is better than no legalization, I guess?) but lots of pro-weed groups are working to kill it- even linking up with anti drug groups to make it happen.

Issue 2 (the one that bans monopolies) was started in response to Issue 3 and people are hoping it'll pass so they can set up a proper legal weed economy next year.

Here's a good Politico piece that breaks the issue down. :
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/11/marijuana-legalization-monopoloy-213312

zoux posted:

17% say they support the Tea Party, which is happily the lowest level since they started tracking it.

I think the fact that only 23% of those survey participants rebuke the Tea Party and would actually consider themselves 'opposed' to it is way more damning of our society than anything else.

Solkanar512 posted:

I was just about to post the same loving thing. Why in the hell is Dean hated by so much of the DNC establishment, and why was he completely ignored by the Obama administration? I can't help but think if he had been around that 2010 wouldn't have been so bad.

Because keeping him around reminds them that he would've been a much better presidential candidate than Kerry was in '04.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 3, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So out polling location just hit the highest turnout we've had since presidential 2008.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Fried Chicken posted:

I mean the candidate should be active but for example the one I was assisting is doing phone banking and leaving GOTV to the party. That way we can redirect her contact to precincts that need a boost without the time if driving her over there

I guess that's what gets me - he was on an island and waiting just as long (if not longer) after I knocked to knock himself and leave his own leaflets. Just baffling. Probably losing hours of time thinking the person who isn't home is crawling to the door, Saw-style

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Am I reading this wrong or did Fish and Wildlife get funding and authority to operate internationally?

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/2494/text

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Solkanar512 posted:

What do you mean, specifically?

Bernie Sanders really doesn't have any ideas or proposals that will improve communities of people of color. Free college is great, if you were already going to college. If you can't walk down the street at night without getting arrested free college really isn't going to help you.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mulva posted:

Bernie Sanders really doesn't have any ideas or proposals that will improve communities of people of color. Free college is great, if you were already going to college. If you can't walk down the street at night without getting arrested free college really isn't going to help you.

Uhh, just go to college during the day then.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mulva posted:

Hello friend! It seems you haven't heard the good news! Our Sanders, who arth in Congress, marched with Civil Rights Leaders! And as his economic blessing be laid down, it shall be laid down on all.

Now that you're aware of these important facts, all your misconceptions and incorrect thinking should be alleviated.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Mulva posted:

This criticism would be less dumb you weren't a passionate supporter of a Democratic candidate with a mediocre at best record on criminal justice issues. One who STILL won't support marijuana legalization when 60% of the population does, a simple policy change that would really help with that whole walking down the street and getting arrested thing.

To be honest none of the lovely, milquetoast proposals from any Democrats would really help with that "walk down the street at night without getting arrested" thing, we need major criminal justice reform.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mulva posted:

I'd like to direct you here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

This criticism would be less dumb you weren't a passionate supporter of a Democratic candidate with a mediocre at best record on criminal justice issues. One who STILL won't support marijuana legalization when 60% of the population does, a simple policy change that would really help with that whole walking down the street and getting arrested thing.

White liberal discovers one weird trick to fixing racial injustice in criminal justice; you won't believe that it's the one that benefits him personally the most.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Fried Chicken posted:

So out polling location just hit the highest turnout we've had since presidential 2008.

Sounds like you guys need more voter id

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Trabisnikof posted:

Hello friend! It seems you haven't heard the good news! Our Sanders, who arth in Congress, marched with Civil Rights Leaders! And as his economic blessing be laid down, it shall be laid down on all.

Now that you're aware of these important facts, all your misconceptions and incorrect thinking should be alleviated.

Now do one for Hillary lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lessail posted:

Now do one for Hillary lol

Why? Some people would imply that the only woman running for the democratic nomination would have to explain herself, but that'd be sexist as gently caress.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

I'd tell you to take a look at Bernie's racial justice plank too but I know you've read it and are just trolling.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

zoux posted:

White liberal discovers one weird trick to fixing racial injustice in criminal justice; you won't believe that it's the one that benefits him personally the most.

If I had the choice between decriminalizing all drug use and legalizing marijuana I would choose the former, because I am really sick and tried of seeing people being imprisoned for no reason because of the ridiculous drug war. Thanks for being a smug douche and immediately jumping to conclusions about my motives though. Legalizing marijuana is the lowest hanging fruit of criminal justice reform and being unwilling to entertain the idea shows that someone isn't really serious about the issue.

Sorry if I don't trust people who claim to care about blacks or people in general yet want to continue the inhuman policy of incarcerating drug users.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 3, 2015

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Trabisnikof posted:

Why? Some people would imply that the only woman running for the democratic nomination would have to explain herself, but that'd be sexist as gently caress.

Jolly good show :tipshat:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JT Jag posted:

I'd tell you to take a look at Bernie's racial justice plank too but I know you've read it and are just trolling.

I mean, yes, I have seen the webpage he added after hue and cry. A few hastily added campaign pledges actually don't undo the underlying point.

I'm more mocking the incessant need to "correct" the opinion of those who haven't felt the bern.

I really feel "mock" is the correct way to handle ELECTION 2016 in general (and primary :v:).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who do black voters (overwhelmingly) support? Maybe they know better than white people which candidate is better on issues that affect them?

MaxxBot posted:

If I had the choice between decriminalizing all drug use and legalizing marijuana I would choose the former, because I am really sick and tried of seeing people being imprisoned for no reason because of the ridiculous drug war.

That's extremely noble of you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

Legalizing marijuana is the lowest hanging fruit of criminal justice reform and being unwilling to entertain the idea shows that someone isn't really serious about the issue.
Ooh, the ultimate beltway insider insult.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Thump! posted:

The world is too lovely for such a thing to happen :smith:

But dear god, imagine the GOP response. It'd be loving magical. Trump is pretty much a caricature of everything that is wrong with the GOP and is making them look in the mirror at their bigotry.

I wonder what insurgent DNC candidate the GOP would try to put in in 2020 or 2024 to attempt the same sort of coup?

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Fried Chicken posted:

You are doing a hell of a job, Fried Chicken.Congrats on the turn-out!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

zoux posted:

Who do black voters (overwhelmingly) support? Maybe they know better than white people which candidate is better on issues that affect them?
Hillary has the name recognition and endorsements. Position on the issues don't really factor in for a lot of Democratic primary voters, just electability. It's the opposite of the Republicans' current situation, where their primary voters care about political litmus tests over General Election appeal.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

zoux posted:

That's extremely noble of you.

Do you not view the incarceration of drug users as a serious political issue and a serious racial justice issue? Why is pointing out Hillary has a bad record on this issue so problematic for you? I don't think Bernie is going to win, this isn't a Bernie vs Hillary thing.

JT Jag posted:

Ooh, the ultimate beltway insider insult.

Do not see the problem with claiming to care about oppressed minorities while enthusiastically supporting policies that throw them in prison for dumb reasons?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Really, this whole cycle is a joke. The Republicans and media, well I don't need to go into detail. But even the democrats have Larry David versus Grillary Clinton amirite.

Its a loving joke and we're the punchline.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

"And you are ballot 100."

Things you don't want to hear as someone who lives in a deep blue district

I was 123 :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

Do you not view the incarceration of drug users as a serious political issue and a serious racial justice issue? Why is pointing out Hillary has a bad record on this issue so problematic for you? I don't think Bernie is going to win, this isn't a Bernie vs Hillary thing.

It's not problematic for me and I support full legalization of marijuana. BUT I see a lot of white Bernie supporters talking about how his support for decrim is the magic bullet to solve black incarceration, that just happens to benefit them the most, while at the same time ignoring polls that don't really show strong support for legalization among African Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

Really, this whole cycle is a joke. The Republicans and media, well I don't need to go into detail. But even the democrats have Larry David versus Grillary Clinton amirite.

Its a loving joke and we're the punchline.

I actually like Hillary and I think that we're going to win. :shrug:

• Locked thread