Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Third World Reggin posted:

just because it is funny

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well at least we haven't seen something like 3x times the experience from one level to another like in RO. That curve though is still waaaaay to steep.

Doesn't the actual game go to level 600 or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yup, there will be at least 400 levels.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hivac posted:

Doesn't the actual game go to level 600 or some poo poo

Yes but even with the increase in each step the graph is fairly linear. RO had like level 98-99 being literally worse than going from level 1-98 or some poo poo like that when you were transcendent.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Just made it to 60, working on a Pyro2/Psycho2 build at the moment, having fun tearing bosses apart ten levels above me in under ten seconds.

Unfortunately, I also learned that wearing cloth to a dungeon meant dying a few times every attempt, as almost all my high DPS spells require me to be in melee range. Ouch.

I also learned that the Enchant Fire buff has synergy with the Cleric's Blessing spell, in that it causes the bonus damage to proc twice on everything. It turned our party into a machine of death.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
just wear plate you don't lose a whole lot

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

just wear plate you don't lose a whole lot

I would, but the market is still broken.

Also watching your cata in action was oddly impressive.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yes but even with the increase in each step the graph is fairly linear. RO had like level 98-99 being literally worse than going from level 1-98 or some poo poo like that when you were transcendent.

http://irowiki.org/classic/Base_EXP_Chart
:allears:

Helped my boyfriend get his trancendent monk to 99 before they bumped up the exp, good god that took a long time. It got to the point I could heal and drag turtles in my sleep, and the thought of it still makes me drowsy.... I wouldn't want to go to 600 on that scale.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Revolver Bunker posted:

These people are why we can't have nice things and why kMMOs are absurd grindfests. They also hate fun.

Take a look at it this way, cbt2 has been out for a week now. There are already people level 200+. If the max level is 400, that means people will have already blasted through the content of this game in less than a month. This happens in every mmo that is an "endgame" mmo, but this isnt an "endgame" mmo. People just want to be max level in a week and then sit at endgame and complain like every other loving MMO thats ever existed?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Absurd Revolver posted:

I also learned that the Enchant Fire buff has synergy with the Cleric's Blessing spell, in that it causes the bonus damage to proc twice on everything. It turned our party into a machine of death.

Double that with Sacrament's holy and the Cafrisun set and you'd proc it 4 times a hit. Same with Concentrate, and Ranger steady aim (i think)

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Just pretend the game is a pretty chat room with good music and chill out. That was always the best way to play RO.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Other stuff that worries me is the grind (weird xp curve, how bad it will be on release, or towards the end game), Upgrading (you know the drill with this poo poo), cost of respecs and other cash shop related items, and of course if there will actually be anything interesting to do at the end game (not likely). Also Stamina which I can't even see the point of aside from being obnoxious for the player occasionally.

Having to unlock cosmetic customization options is a little weird though, is this going to be another MMO where you have to pay real $$ to be black?

Upgrading is fine, you only lose 1 upgrade on failure past +5 (or +3 on armor) along with your 1 potential, last beta it was set back to 0 so this is already a huge improvement. Upgrades also give a the same amount of attack every upgrade, it's not like in DFO where the the bonuses go from nearly nothing to completely insane. Stamina is used by Warriors to sprint, and for some classes such as Linker or Monk to use certain skills. I honestly have no issues with the exp curve, it's way better than any other similar kMMO I've ever played; people just don't know how to level (quests!), and this will solve itself as guides are written and people learn about the game.

Hacking is an issue but if so many other MMOs can survive and be fun games regardless I think this one can live with it too. It's the price you pay to hatte, and it is a price surely worth paying.

The cash shop will almost definitely have costumes in it, but you already get to keep all the costumes of classes you've advanced to. That's not a bad start!

C'mon guys, the warning signs in this game are way way smaller than the ones in other MMOs, and those MMOs had plenty of people on-board until the very end. I'm guilty of that too, but yeah, we don't need to be super hyperbolic.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

diarmuidqq posted:

Just pretend the game is a pretty chat room with good music and chill out. That was always the best way to play RO.

Playing ToS like a "the game starts at max level" themepark MMO is basically doing it wrong. It's all about the satisfaction of chillin and grillin mass mobs.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Silento posted:

Upgrading is fine, you only lose 1 upgrade on failure past +5 (or +3 on armor) along with your 1 potential, last beta it was set back to 0 so this is already a huge improvement. Upgrades also give a the same amount of attack every upgrade, it's not like in DFO where the the bonuses go from nearly nothing to completely insane. Stamina is used by Warriors to sprint, and for some classes such as Linker or Monk to use certain skills. I honestly have no issues with the exp curve, it's way better than any other similar kMMO I've ever played; people just don't know how to level (quests!), and this will solve itself as guides are written and people learn about the game.

C'mon guys, the warning signs in this game are way way smaller than the ones in other MMOs, and those MMOs had plenty of people on-board until the very end. I'm guilty of that too, but yeah, we don't need to be super hyperbolic.

So is there any way to get Potential back or are you just poo poo out of luck once it runs out? Being a linear improvement doesn't tell you anything about how important it is unless you know what the improvement is relative to the base stats either. It's hard NOT to be more completely hosed than DFO's system though :v:
E: It actually sounds like it works a bit different based on the wiki so I'll have to take a closer look at how Potential works.

I was actually not aware sprinting was a Swordsman only thing, it's the only class I've played so far. That makes a lot more sense then.

I have no problem with cosmetic cash shop items, that stuff is all good. I was mostly joking about it because in DFO you literally can't be black (or any other skin color than the default) unless you pay real money.

As far as the XP curve goes, I haven't had any problem with it in the beta but people were talking like the beta XP rate is way higher than it's intended to be at launch, like 3-5x higher. I don't mind grinding and all that, it just depends on how much and how fun it is. I'll say that not being a game based around the endgame seems like a huge improvement over DFO, after seeing its 'endgame'.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

The Quake posted:

Take a look at it this way, cbt2 has been out for a week now. There are already people level 200+. If the max level is 400, that means people will have already blasted through the content of this game in less than a month. This happens in every mmo that is an "endgame" mmo, but this isnt an "endgame" mmo. People just want to be max level in a week and then sit at endgame and complain like every other loving MMO thats ever existed?

But it takes sooo long to get to the actual fun part of being a monk (rank 2 w/ energy blast)... a point that maybe a handful of people will reach

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

So is there any way to get Potential back or are you just poo poo out of luck once it runs out? Being a linear improvement doesn't tell you anything about how important it is unless you know what the improvement is relative to the base stats either. It's hard NOT to be more completely hosed than DFO's system though :v:

(Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Equipment has x amount of potential. There is no way to regain this potential.

Potential is used for:
1) Trading (per trade -1, this includes selling/buying from market)
2) Failing an Upgrade
3) Adding socket and magic amulet (whatever that is...)
4) Alchemist skills Briquetting and Item Awakening

This makes equipment enhancing and overall gear upgrades a lot harder/rewarding. There won't be x amounts of perfectly crafted equipments being handed down forever, because this is the game's "true" item decay. Having said that, at 0 potential you can still use equipment to their full extent, you just can't do any of the above things.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

that seems right and it isn't a bad system at all

it does prevent flipping on the market to an extent which is a good thing

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Most games that have the potential / upgrade system usually have a cash item to restore potential, protect on upgrade failure, or full reset

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The exp thing is a common misconception. While it may be true, there's no evidence it is. There was an experience event for a few days in the kCBT after the most recent wipe last month, but we don't have those rates AFAIK. If they changed how experience worked they would have to readjust all the questing zones, it works out really well ATM if you do all the quests.

I really like potential in theory, as it forces you to consider how you want to upgrade your equips, and will hopefully help diversify people's items from each other. We'll see how it pans out!

If any of you has ever played an MMO and decided to roll an alt to try out a different class or build, just think about how many classes and build options there are in ToS. Now that's a lot of content! :eyepop:

Edit: Oh yeah also drops aren't that rare (at least in the current ranks), so you can always just grab a clean equip and start upgrading it from scratch.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

The Quake posted:

I often see this line of argument in defense of grinding, but I think it misses the real point.

Players have a reasonable expectation to be able to see new things at regular and well paced intervals. It's not about fixating on the rush to "endgame", it's a simple matter of all games requiring some degree of novelty to stay interesting. Nearly any type of game needs to throw the player a bone periodically by rewarding them with new environments, enemies, or especially new tools in their gameplay kit. When the game makes you work too hard or too long for too stingy a reward, then this becomes a problem.

The refrain of "what are you rushing to endgame for, it's not a race!/The real game is in the middle!" become meaningless when you look at it not as people rushing to endgame, but simply cutting through the jungle wondering when they'll see something new. Even at the not particularly lofty levels between C3 and C4 I found myself becoming incredibly bored of the very limited skillset that my Krivis had access to. Hitting Sadhu injected a fresh dose of much needed novelty and interest --finally something new again-- but who knows how long that will last in the face of steep experience curves.

Making players fight the same monsters on the same maps with the same limited skills for too long becomes boring no matter what, irrespective of any concerns about "endgame". I'm not sure this is necessarily a fate that ToS will suffer, but based on what I've played so far it certainly could be heading that direction. Knowing that ToS is less egregiously horrible in this regard than other kMMOs is cold comfort.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 4, 2015

strong bird
May 12, 2009

It's a lot of content but it's running through the 1-50 zones over and over that you'll see the most of, and those zones aren't particularly interesting, and the combat isn't Particularly Interesting enough at those levels to make me want to reroll 100 times

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

strong bird posted:

It's a lot of content but it's running through the 1-50 zones over and over that you'll see the most of, and those zones aren't particularly interesting, and the combat isn't Particularly Interesting enough at those levels to make me want to reroll 100 times

That's true I guess, but it barely takes any time to get to r3 so it's not that bad.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Once there are actual community features in game it will be a much better game. Slack 'works' but I don't like having to deal with it when there should be functional party chat (and functional parties for that matter), friends lists and clans. Then it will be a lot easier to manage trying to find someone to level with

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

strong bird posted:

Once there are actual community features in game it will be a much better game. Slack 'works' but I don't like having to deal with it when there should be functional party chat (and functional parties for that matter), friends lists and clans. Then it will be a lot easier to manage trying to find someone to level with

I feel like I missed something important, what is this Slack and how do I use it?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Absurd Revolver posted:

I feel like I missed something important, what is this Slack and how do I use it?

Read the first post

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dackel posted:

Potential is used for:

That's not so bad then, and depending on how big of a bonus Upgrading even is it might be less important than adding Sockets and such. The one major downside is that it sounds like you can't even trade gear between your own characters for free?

Silento posted:

The exp thing is a common misconception. While it may be true, there's no evidence it is. There was an experience event for a few days in the kCBT after the most recent wipe last month, but we don't have those rates AFAIK. If they changed how experience worked they would have to readjust all the questing zones, it works out really well ATM if you do all the quests.

Yeah I'm sure hoping it's not true. Right now it feels pretty good, even maybe outpacing things at times using the XP Cards. Especially if you get a recipe for a cool hat that you need to grind up some ingredients for.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I think I might have hosed up.

I thought they changed it so you could go back and take a lower level rank at the cost of a higher level rank?

I had planned on going cryo2 - linker - cryo 3, but I guess that doesn't work?

Taking a break and hoping someone responds before I just say gently caress it and take cryo3

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 4, 2015

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Dackel posted:

Double that with Sacrament's holy and the Cafrisun set and you'd proc it 4 times a hit.

This combo with a little blessing thrown in there gets me hard every time. :fap:

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Gibbo posted:

I think I might have hosed up.

I thought they changed it so you could go back and take a lower level rank at the cost of a higher level rank?

I had planned on going cryo2 - linker - cryo 3, but I guess that doesn't work?

Taking a break and hoping someone responds before I just say gently caress it and take cryo3

Actually that should be totally possible, they changed the way you can pick classes at advancement to allow classes from previous ranks.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Absurd Revolver posted:

Actually that should be totally possible, they changed the way you can pick classes at advancement to allow classes from previous ranks.

It wasn't letting me select linker for whatever reason? It was greyed out. New bug in the latest patch, lag issues. Who knows. I'll log and try again in a bit.

Edit:

Okay it was dim grey but I could still click on it. Chalk one up to me being an idiot.

That being said, this game is forcing some hard decisions. Do I want giant snowball or linking

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 4, 2015

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Played a little bit now. Not that fond of the quest stuff but it's calming to zone out and just grind for a bit. Does combat get more fun than just mostly auto-attacking? I'm playing some warrior and I am just auto attacking and doing cartar stroke when it's up since that seems broken as gently caress. Also does anyone know of a good bot yet? That's really how you should play these games. Botting iRO was better than playing iRO.

Ninogan fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 4, 2015

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
So, prices have all been reverted as of this patch.
https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/temporary-maintenance-nov-4th-completed/99934

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

That whole inflation thing for the prices is bunk because if there isnt a way to give money to characters in your account they'll be bogged down by the new rates regardless of the state of the economy. That and people starting out are going to be hit disproportionately by the whole thing, unless the items they can loot early on retain value in the market thats matured already.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Pixelslol posted:

Played a little bit now. Not that fond of the quest stuff but it's calming to zone out and just grind for a bit. Does combat get more fun than just mostly auto-attacking? I'm playing some warrior and I am just auto attacking and doing cartar stroke when it's up since that seems broken as gently caress. Also does anyone know of a good bot yet? That's really how you should play these games. Botting iRO was better than playing iRO.

Every time you unlock a new class you get access to 3-5 new abilities.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Baldbeard posted:

Playing ToS like a "the game starts at max level" themepark MMO is basically doing it wrong. It's all about the satisfaction of chillin and grillin mass mobs.

you dont get to define MY PLAYSTYLE

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

quote:

Hello. We are IMCGAMES TOS Team.
To accommodate more fans to the new server, we’ve been contacting Steam to obtain more keys and the keys have been just approved today.
The registration process will be the same as last time. You have to first log into our website and click on [Register for 2nd CBT] button which will be displayed on the top right corner of our website.
We are going to accept registrations from you until November 6th, 00:00 AM (EST).
Due to limited number of Beta Keys, we will select our testers by using a lucky draw method. The selected testers will receive the keys through their emails and they can also check their keys on our website by clicking on [Check your Beta Key] button from November 6th.
Thank you.
Please note that the registrants from the regions where we have our local publishers will be excluded the selection process. We recommend you to participate for the tests in your local regions.
Thank you

:getin:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

you dont get to define MY PLAYSTYLE

I just did!
:eggplant:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

trip report on that trident two handed spear

it says hits large monsters three times, and it does, for the sum damage of one time

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

trip report on that trident two handed spear

it says hits large monsters three times, and it does, for the sum damage of one time

If you have blessing or other add-attack type effects, does it apply it 3 times though?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Probably. The game seems to be designed around the idea of stacking buffs and there is no legitimate way of exhausting something like blessing hit count before its time runs out unless you are doing some crazy multi hit poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

yah that is the only reason to use it

that or if you went C2 swordsman for that sweet sweet stun

• Locked thread