Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Been pacing for hours, thinking about posting this. My father before he died told me to be brave though so....

I think the game's graphics look fine, and the gameplay does look too. I'll probably enjoy the game even if it don't completely live up to my expectations.

You did good man I'm sure he would be proud of you now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Walrus Pete posted:

IMO Fallout 3 owned until New Vegas came along and made it look like poo poo in retrospect.

I agree with this tbh

Walrus Pete posted:

Fallout 4 will probably be a lot of fun to play most of the time, by which I mean when you're not talking to main quest NPCs. If that's not good enough for you then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree but I am certainly looking forward to Fallout 4.
This not so much (but I'm happy for u!!)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Geoff Zahn posted:

Someone create a mod that makes this thread good

I'm currently working on a way to put some tits on this thread, standby.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
^^^ Thanks, that should help a little bit.

That's a really poorly worded sentence.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
by the way this is my fallout 4 thread for stable people - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749747

all i ask is that you just post about a video game that you like, don't like, whatever and you don't argue like bitter children while you are in there

namaste

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm currently working on a way to put some tits on this thread, standby.

ok I am

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Luceid posted:

it's a shame they're sticking with the apocalypse = dead vegetation look because rampant overgrowth is drat cool and honest hearts had a really nice vibe going for it

Yeah. I imagine it's a lot easier to not have any trees.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

rap music posted:

I mean they look pretty good to me when you aren't squinting at them through 320p resolution. You can see the textures have some detail, reflective surfaces, etc.

https://vid.me/JqKx

e: and this is on a console

You posted a graphics comparison image between Fallout 4 and an alpha version of Witcher 3 to prove your point that Fallout looks better.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Also someone out there did a better map

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

frajaq posted:

That's a lot of water.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

so since this game is complete visual garbage apparently, is there any real reason to get it on PC for full price instead of on xbox one for $45?

my PC is like 5 years old at this point, it's not so great on maxing out details at the max resolution of my screen anyway and the SSD is full unless I go deleting stuff every time I get a new game so I'm thinking maybe xbox one is the way to go here.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Eonwe posted:

by the way this is my fallout 4 thread for stable people - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749747

all i ask is that you just post about a video game that you like, don't like, whatever and you don't argue like bitter children while you are in there

namaste

Seems like a good idea except for the fact that I missed :firstpost: and :synpa: so...

frajaq posted:

Do the Ts stand for Todd?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The Droid posted:

That's a lot of water.

there were a lot of concept art pics of underwater stuff (including a really detailed chinese submarine) so a lot of people are speculating underwater content/exploration

One of the perks leaked IS being able to breathe underwater too.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Eonwe posted:

namaste

Something Awful Posters vs Valid Criticism

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Buff Butler posted:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Luceid posted:

it's a shame they're sticking with the apocalypse = dead vegetation look because rampant overgrowth is drat cool and honest hearts had a really nice vibe going for it

A green apocalypse doesn't really fit with the theme or aesthetic that Bethesda is going for, that being a pulp sci-fi apocalypse.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Droid posted:

That's a lot of water.

It's true. The "you can breathe water and are invisible while swimming" perks are going to be borderline required.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

A green apocalypse doesn't really fit with the theme or aesthetic that Bethesda is going for

Fallout 3 sure fooled me then :stat: :wal:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Buff Butler posted:

i dont know what this means

you can not like the game in my thread all you want

i just dont want a bunch of arguing about hyperbole and whether goons are doing X or Y or whatever

most of this thread is posts arguing about posts arguing about posts

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The Droid posted:

Holy poo poo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Droid posted:

good post

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

projecthalaxy posted:

It's true. The "you can breathe water and are invisible while swimming" perks are going to be borderline required.

Underwater levels are always the best part of any first person shooter

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Eonwe posted:

i dont know what this means

you can not like the game in my thread all you want

i just dont want a bunch of arguing about hyperbole and whether goons are doing X or Y or whatever

most of this thread is posts arguing about posts arguing about posts

HATE BICKERING

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Fallout 3 was actually very progressive in having the PC be partially colourblind :colbert:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meridian posted:

HATE BICKERING

:agreed: :agreed: :agreed:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

A green apocalypse doesn't really fit with the theme or aesthetic that Bethesda is going for, that being a pulp sci-fi apocalypse.

i only even really thought of it after seeing all the dead trees and thinking man, those trees have been dead for a long-rear end time, it'd be nice if they had some leaves on 'em or had just rotted away by now

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

The Droid posted:

noice

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Are perks awarded every level like FO3, or every two like NV?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I'm a little sad that the super mutants are chunky instead of jacked.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Walrus Pete posted:

IMO Fallout 3 owned until New Vegas came along and made it look like poo poo in retrospect.

I agree that NV blows 3 out of the water where it counts but there are elements of 3 that I feel NV never recaptured. For all the reductionist hate 3 gets as a series of lovely subway tunnels, the world just feels more open and enticing to explore - there's a new dungeon or set piece around every corner, whereas in NV I felt they were exceedingly rare. NV is a circuit that really only makes sense to traverse one way and never really felt "open world" to me. It's a giant mountain with 2 ways to go around it (a fantastic loving mountain filled with Obsidian's writing talent), and not terribly interesting to explore for its own sake.So that pretty much sums up my experience on replaying both games. In NV I pursue the main questline and a few interesting ones on the side. In 3 I go off the rails from the start and find myself fighting ant-themed villainesses when I should be avenging my father. They're very different games and I don't feel like either one invalidates the existence of the other.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Wee Bairns posted:

Since there are no more skills I'm pretty sure its the former.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Wee Bairns posted:

Every level. Points can be spent on perk ranks or increasing base special stats.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

frajaq posted:

Bottom left corner is the glowing sea then I take it?

Is this the entire map then? Or just part of it?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Geoff Zahn posted:

Is this the entire map then? Or just part of it?

The entire map.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Underwater mission cutscene footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n2cIeIpzLA

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Deified Data posted:

I agree that NV blows 3 out of the water where it counts but there are elements of 3 that I feel NV never recaptured. For all the reductionist hate 3 gets as a series of lovely subway tunnels, the world just feels more open and enticing to explore - there's a new dungeon or set piece around every corner, whereas in NV I felt they were exceedingly rare. NV is a circuit that really only makes sense to traverse one way and never really felt "open world" to me. It's a giant mountain with 2 ways to go around it (a fantastic loving mountain filled with Obsidian's writing talent), and not terribly interesting to explore for its own sake.So that pretty much sums up my experience on replaying both games. In NV I pursue the main questline and a few interesting ones on the side. In 3 I go off the rails from the start and find myself fighting ant-themed villainesses when I should be avenging my father. They're very different games and I don't feel like either one invalidates the existence of the other.

New Vegas had some fantastic exploration in Old World Blues and arguably Dead Money. Honest Hearts to a lesser extent in my opinion.

As a package I feel that the more interesting world goes to New Vegas. Base games it definitely goes to Fallout 3.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

null posted:

Underwater mission cutscene footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n2cIeIpzLA

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
My friend, there are endless subway tunnels to explore. Do you look at a present and ask if the gift wrap you see on the surface is all that there is? What a foolish post,

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

null posted:

:lol:

Oh jesus christ I hope most NPCs talk like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

frajaq posted:

"Hey guys, we used mountains to make the map seem bigger than it actually was in Skyrim, how can we do that with Fallout 4?
Well gee, the player base might catch on if we use more mountains. Let's just make half of the map be water!"

• Locked thread