Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

As bad it looks by itself, this isn't just "MS reneged on their promise" - this is basically a complete gutting of the service, at least with respect to any competitive advantage it may offer. The reduced free offering, the removal of 100/200gb competitive offers - it's as if they really just don't want to compete here anymore.
mobile first, cloud first :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OneDrive user here! I'm on the basic 50Gb / £0.99p option, so it doesn't sound like I'm affected by any of this.

And before anyone asks why I'm using it... It works super well for me? :shrug: It uploads in a timely manner, the W10 client is completely unobtrusive and when you have W10 on desktop, tablet and phone, it is stupendously convenient. Also it's cheap.

I'm sure Microsoft will find a way to ruin it for me.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
tbf you'd still have to work pretty hard to gently caress up quite as badly as Mega does on a daily basis

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
What I don't get is how they weren't able to handle unlimited data. I mean, there's deduplication, right? They have gigantic Azure datacenters, right? Unless people were what, uploading a few petabytes of completely encrypted :filez: blurays? They really couldn't manage just cutting off the top 1% offenders?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It seems to me they're using it as an excuse to remove functionality.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Also it's cheap.
Not anymore. It's now actually the most expensive option if you need more than 15gb and less than 1tb. Google Drive gives you 100gb for MS's 50, Apple's 50gb is half the monthly price of OD. Not to mention Google Photo storage is free for photos up to 16 mpixels or videos up to 1080p.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Not anymore. It's now actually the most expensive option if you need more than 15gb and less than 1tb. Google Drive gives you 100gb for MS's 50, Apple's 50gb is half the monthly price of OD. Not to mention Google Photo storage is free for photos up to 16 mpixels or videos up to 1080p.
They cut free to 5GB too.

$7 for a terabyte is fine, but they made all their other plans worse at the same time.

Zero VGS posted:

What I don't get is how they weren't able to handle unlimited data. I mean, there's deduplication, right? They have gigantic Azure datacenters, right? Unless people were what, uploading a few petabytes of completely encrypted :filez: blurays? They really couldn't manage just cutting off the top 1% offenders?
Yeah, it's kind of silly. Oh no, there's several people using an entire 12 drives each. If the average user is only 5GB then what's the problem. Now you get to cut usage by a few percent at the cost of removing significant peace of mind from all your remaining customers.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

I have just bought a replacement motherboard for my PC - a different one from the one it came with - same manufacturer though. Depending on if the new motherboard fixes the issues I've been having, I may or may not swap back to the board that's currently in my PC.

Should I do a clean format and start fresh? Or can I get away with reusing the same install and simply installing the new drivers for my new motherboard?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way to get rid of column spacing in the tiles in the start menu?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Unboxing Day posted:

I have just bought a replacement motherboard for my PC - a different one from the one it came with - same manufacturer though. Depending on if the new motherboard fixes the issues I've been having, I may or may not swap back to the board that's currently in my PC.

Should I do a clean format and start fresh? Or can I get away with reusing the same install and simply installing the new drivers for my new motherboard?

Be prepared to install a fresh copy of 7/8 to be able to upgrade and activate to 10.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Dylan16807 posted:

Yeah, it's kind of silly. Oh no, there's several people using an entire 12 drives each. If the average user is only 5GB then what's the problem. Now you get to cut usage by a few percent at the cost of removing significant peace of mind from all your remaining customers.

Well, I mean...we just got significant evidence that the data usage of unlimited users is significant.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Thermopyle posted:

Well, I mean...we just got significant evidence that the data usage of unlimited users is significant.
MS did not quote how many users were actually making up that segment of overzealous uploaders. What they did say was that the 'average' user consumed 5.5 GB. So no, we don't have 'significant' evidence, and we don't know how much of an impact these people were actually having on the service as a whole.

This is irrelevant to them reducing the limits for free users, removing the 15gb camera sync, not offering paid options over 1tb, and excising the 100/200gb options however.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Oh, I missed the part where they gave the average usage.

They're just stupid then.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Unlike every other cloud storage provider out there, Microsoft doesn't provide Encryption at Rest for your data. They've been swearing up and down for years that they're going to add it, so maybe cutting back on all this stuff is them paving the way to finally enable it? I've avoided One Drive like the plague ever since I found out they don't even take that basic precaution.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a way to tell my monitor to go to sleep immediately in Windows 10?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

terre packet posted:

Not that I've found, but locking your session cuts the monitor timeout to something like one minute as long as it's normally not "never".

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

terre packet posted:

If you don't mind pressing Win+L or Ctrl+F2 to make it happen, Monitor ES does the thing you want:

https://github.com/ukanth/monitores

I use the Lite version. Works fine in Win7 through Win10.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Now that Windows 10 doesn't shut my desktop down every 8-10 hours if I'm not using it (I figured out it was Deluge of all things causing that one), I'm considering upgrading my laptop as well. Problem being, it's a 2011 Sager with the bundle of joy that is Nvidia Optimus. Two questions:

1. Are there any issues I should be aware of regarding this and Windows 10?
2. Is it possible to just install Windows 10 in such a manner that the GTX650 (the good GPU) is the only one the computer uses? It's plugged in 99.9% of the time and the battery lasts roughly three hours if I put the thing to sleep, so it's not a real good "portable" device. Thus energy savings are not all that important to me.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Build 10586 just released for fast group.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
ISo has been out for a few hours now for it. Works great.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Official iso or compiled from the download?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Compiled from ESD

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Now that Windows 10 doesn't shut my desktop down every 8-10 hours if I'm not using it (I figured out it was Deluge of all things causing that one), I'm considering upgrading my laptop as well. Problem being, it's a 2011 Sager with the bundle of joy that is Nvidia Optimus. Two questions:

1. Are there any issues I should be aware of regarding this and Windows 10?
2. Is it possible to just install Windows 10 in such a manner that the GTX650 (the good GPU) is the only one the computer uses? It's plugged in 99.9% of the time and the battery lasts roughly three hours if I put the thing to sleep, so it's not a real good "portable" device. Thus energy savings are not all that important to me.

You shouldn't be having any issues with Options anyway - what problem do you actually have with it?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Just installed the latest build and NO "this is an evaluation copy" nor build number at the bottom right.

Threshold 2 release version has been released to the fast ring.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 6, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

terre packet posted:

Another option, you can try this program that I made like 7 years ago and havent touched since, but I just downloaded it and tested it and seems to work: TurnOffMonitor.exe

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Here are all the esds for russia and usa

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/2xE4/5k5wdRDSu

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

Here are all the esds for russia and usa

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/2xE4/5k5wdRDSu

this looks interesting

so you can convert to an .iso with this http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2570-esd-iso-create-bootable-iso-windows-10-esd-file.html

Actually that didn't work at all, it complained the image was encrypted.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 6, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

install.wim or .esd is the part of a Windows Vista-or-later install image that holds Windows.

Do you have any way to verify that image?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

dissss posted:

You shouldn't be having any issues with Options anyway - what problem do you actually have with it?

At this point, if I try to update the drivers for the nvidia card, I just get a bluescreen. I think this is a common issue with Optimus equipped laptops; Sager just sort of came up with the drivers, updated once a few months later, and they've been the same ever since. I *think* there's a way to "disable" Optimus by just installing the nvidia drivers in the first place. Apparently many laptops have a bios option to just disable the intel GPU, but this has no such option :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

At this point, if I try to update the drivers for the nvidia card, I just get a bluescreen. I think this is a common issue with Optimus equipped laptops; Sager just sort of came up with the drivers, updated once a few months later, and they've been the same ever since. I *think* there's a way to "disable" Optimus by just installing the nvidia drivers in the first place. Apparently many laptops have a bios option to just disable the intel GPU, but this has no such option :(
My Sager always used standard nvidia drivers. Your poo poo is broke.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

redeyes posted:

this looks interesting

so you can convert to an .iso with this http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2570-esd-iso-create-bootable-iso-windows-10-esd-file.html

Actually that didn't work at all, it complained the image was encrypted.

Here is the updated decrypter

https://mega.nz/#!W101yLDJ!wa9XqlD23T1yoRZq0d0MvUEMH67S72zOK_TKcSM-C50

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

That isn't a common issue.

While you can generally disable the Nvidia card I've never seen a modern Optimus setup where you can disable the integrated GPU.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I take it Microsoft will release an Official ISO next week? Or at least enable the media creation tool to download Windows 10 with the November Update?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I take it Microsoft will release an Official ISO next week? Or at least enable the media creation tool to download Windows 10 with the November Update?

I would think so.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So I've bit the bullet and installed Win10. Things are great so far! Except that when I'm running a game in Windowed (Fullscreen) such as WoW, the taskbar disappears. I have two monitors and on my second monitor, I have a Steam chat fullscreen, and usually put a browser window over top of it, leaving the bottom of chat uncovered so I can read anything that pops up. Used to be if I clicked on the browser window from WoW, the taskbar would pop up on my primary monitor but now it will only do that if the browser on my secondary monitor is fullscreen, which is not ideal.

Is there any hope for my stupidly specific problem?

EDIT: If I click on the Steam chat window, which is maximized, the taskbar doesn't show up either. I have to alt-tab to something else to get it to show up.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 7, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dissss posted:

That isn't a common issue.

While you can generally disable the Nvidia card I've never seen a modern Optimus setup where you can disable the integrated GPU.

Given that the integrated GPU is what usually scans out regardless of where the rendering happens, it would be a bit tricky, yeah.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Ok so I upgraded my home desktop (2013 HP Pro, 8G Ram, Win 7 pro) with no issues as of yet. I have the USB install downloaded and ready to go if I need to do a clean install but so far so good. I wouldn't mind upgrading the 2 internal 500G hard drives to SSD eventually so that's when I'll probably get to the full clean install via USB.

I never owned a Win 8 computer but really wasn't a fan of the tiles, so the more traditional layout for Win 10 is easy to transition to. I even sideloaded the old Win 7 weather, calendar and CPU gadgets with no problems.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Does anyone know if the November update has started rolling out? I'm on 10586 already so I'm probably already running the final bits, but I'm due to update a few machines from Windows 7 to 10 this week and I'd rather get the new ISO and save myself installing 4 months of updates.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

I'm in the process of putting together a shopping list for a new PC build and I'm wary of Win10. I'd save a chunk of money by using my Win7 disc on the new machine and upgrading, but I'm hearing a lot of bad things about Win10 in terms of privacy and stability - and I dont have the guarantee that a lot of programs I need to use are as stable on 10 as they would be on 8.1

Is win10 as terrible as its cracked up to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zero Gravitas posted:

I'm in the process of putting together a shopping list for a new PC build and I'm wary of Win10. I'd save a chunk of money by using my Win7 disc on the new machine and upgrading, but I'm hearing a lot of bad things about Win10 in terms of privacy and stability - and I dont have the guarantee that a lot of programs I need to use are as stable on 10 as they would be on 8.1

Is win10 as terrible as its cracked up to be?
Win10 is great, but you get a free upgrade from Win7, so if that's cheaper, you could just buy that.