Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
glad there is a lot of water, for when the little doggy is on fire. hope they put a sound effect when he goes in the water on fire maybe like "ffzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttttt" and then the doggy wags his tail when he isnt on fire. bethesda best put hairworks on that wagging tail otherwise i will be furiousa and throw the game in the bin.

Can't wait until I get to play this next week. Being employed suddenly seems worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
NV was empty as gently caress, a good number of map markers were poo poo like the stone map and the yang-tze memorial where they're just kind of there with no pay off.

I still like the game but man there was a whole lot of nothing to discover out there

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

The Droid posted:

In NV at least there was a lot of content planned to be put in for the Legion but got cut for time. Like the main antagonist of the Lonesome Road DLC was originally planned to be a Caesar's Legion-allied companion but they couldn't get him in on time.

e: If there is underwater stuff aside from clam/suitcase diving, then good.

I really wish there had been more to the Legion. I never could complete their quests because something would always bug out and make them hostile to me even if I had an idolized status with them, so actually I don't really know if there was anything deeper than 'thems the evil'

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Geoff Zahn posted:

I really wish there had been more to the Legion. I never could complete their quests because something would always bug out and make them hostile to me even if I had an idolized status with them, so actually I don't really know if there was anything deeper than 'thems the evil'

More legion content was planned but Obsidian ran out of time or something. Hell I think Ulysses was supposed to be a companion in vanilla game giving the Legion's side of the story

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm going to build a base on the bottom of the harbor for my very own self and anyone else who can breathe water.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I assume there will be some underwater stuff, but most of the ocean area will probably be empty.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Effectronica posted:

The setting's aesthetic is based on Mad loving Max, with the sci-fi poo poo a background element to allow laser guns and robots and mutants. Bethesda's collective IQ is about 100 so they were unable to figure this out and now people jabber about how it's 50spunk! It worked well for New Vegas because the height of Vegas was in the late 50s and early 60s.

It's more like the aesthetic is a hypothetical Mad Max that had been made 20 years earlier. But yeah, that really fell off with 3. I should have clarified that I was talking about Bethesda's games.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

New Vegas was flawed and owned, Fallout 3 was flawed and did not own.
Why?

I'm the original person who created the several successive OPs for fallout 3 and New Vegas, and while 3 had some rough edges I like it better than New Vegas. So please educate me - a twenty-year hardcore Fallout NMA nut, how NV is better.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
"What use is all this water?!?!?!"-someone who needs water to survive

slev
Apr 6, 2009

This game I haven't played doesn't have enough content

strong bird
May 12, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Why?

I'm the original person who created the several successive OPs for fallout 3 and New Vegas, and while 3 had some rough edges I like it better than New Vegas. So please educate me - a twenty-year hardcore Fallout NMA nut, how NV is better.

Theres no way physically possible to convince you people

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

strong bird posted:

Theres no way physically possible to convince you people

Try talking then instead of getting physical

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

ymgve posted:

I assume there will be some underwater stuff, but most of the ocean area will probably be empty.

I agree, but also assume there will be some surface and some underground stuff, but most of the land area will probably be empty.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

coyo7e posted:

Why?

lol are you for real

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Synths are water cooled.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Bland posted:

lol are you for real

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

coyo7e posted:

Why?

Hello player. Would you like to make a moral choice? Would you rather blow up a town full of stupid jackasses for 500 apocalypse bucks, or not blow up the town? Note that blowing up the town will not limit your access to content.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
Lets start with the story and setting: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27085

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

Excuse me, I've played both games and you MAY recognize some LPs I posted.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

coyo7e posted:

Why?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

Try talking then instead of getting physical

Sound is a physical phenomenon

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

frajaq posted:

Also someone out there did a better map

To get a sense of scale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5esyZPt5Jo&t=593s

The upper left icon is of course the vault, and I assume the rocket icon to the southeast of that is the rocket you see on the horizon in the video.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
*Defeats Chinese general in shooter DLC by telling him to commit seppuku, a Japanese tradition*

*People immediately justify this furiously, call it "excellent"*

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I swear someone said you start in the middle of the map, guess not fro that pic though.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

The map is so huge it makes a CITY INSIDE FENWAY PARK look small and only populated by 4 people! That's how frickin big it is! Boston big!

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

coyo7e posted:

Why?

Faction oriented reputation system
Better dialogue
Iron sights
More weapons/armor
Anticipation of wider variety of player actions to resolve quests
World felt more like an actual place so I felt like my character's actions had more impact
Speech checks for every skill
Doesn't culminate in absurd situation where you die for no reason.
Lack of Three Dog
Companion quests
Ammo/armor/item crafting
Damage threshold system

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Why?

coyo7e posted:

Why?

I'm going to try to respond, even though this is just a troll.

-Factions! Not only did you have a faction reputation system that tied into how missions worked, what clothes you were wearing and such, but you could back one of the factions (or even become your own) and meaningfully change the story and ending.
-Companions! Due to being written by actual writers instead of caged capuchin monkeys, and voiced by cool people, the companions were vastly improved. They also seemed like their own people due to Factions! affecting them separately to you. Doing the BoS questline with and without Veronica is meaningfully different.
-DLC! The DLC missions were a lot better, IMO, in Vegas. Old World Blues is the best comedy in the series, Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road are tense journeys through enemy territory that are different than the main game, and they all have really good writing and acting.

There's some points for you.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Whenever you fire up this Boston Simulator, remember the wise words of Yahtzee:

quote:

Don't pick swimming because it's fairly useless.

There's definitely some form of waterbreathing for those who don't take the perk I bet, either waterproofing your Astartes suit or rebreather like Boomers give you in NV.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Vhak lord of hate posted:

"What use is all this water?!?!?!"-someone who needs water to survive

Is this bait? This is bait right? This has to be bait. Bait?
h-hate..b-bu-bait?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
[Intelligence 7]: So you fight the good fight with your voice on Galaxy News Radio.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Fallout 3 had a better intro than New Vegas imo, growing up in the vault and such.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fergus posted:

h-hate..b-bu-bait?

That's a Disturbed song if I recall correctly.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This game sucks and I'm going to be VERY ANGRY while I play it for 100 hours straight.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

null posted:

Fallout 3 had a better intro than New Vegas imo, growing up in the vault and such.

By far my favorite part of replaying any game is being stuck in a 20 minute intro scene that's basically the same every time you play it.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

null posted:

Shot in the head and left for dead is a good intro and leaves room for you to invent your own character. In Fallout 3 your character was always James' child, always had to put up with Butch, and was always friends with Amata.

By far my favorite part of replaying any game is being stuck in a 20 minute intro scene that's basically the same every time you play it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Temple of Trials- great intro, or best intro??

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Didn't F3 make a save right before you click on the door to the outside and you can re-make your character?

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

But Liam Neeson

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I've got my money's worth of entertainment from this game out of this thread alone, I tell ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

I've got my money's worth of entertainment from this game out of this thread alone, I tell ya

• Locked thread