Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Kavros posted:

6B or 6C shields with four boosters, two large pulses and two medium multicannons, A grade the distributor, anything else can be junky D's, and you'll do okay in hirez. Including the discounts people have found, that will get you in the game at 25 million. Your initial shields will only be about 400 MJ, but since all shields regenerate the same amount over time anyway all that means is that you shouldn't be tanking 400 or more damage in any fight, for maximum income over time. So snipe at all the pirates the cops are already shooting.

Since the clipper is a carry hero, you can just keep pumping money into it for continued improvement of ability up until it is worth more than 100 million spacedollars. And always remember that it can be shifted between different roles on a whim — it makes an excellent trader (200+ cargo, legitimately it's a type 7 that's immune to piracy), an excellent miner, and a pretty good explorer (but don't explore for money).

never fly it without insurance money in the bank. ever. If you find yourself in that position, sell some of its components to kit out a courier to dogfight in, which should cost about 5m total but only cost you 300k if you blooie.

Nice thanks, I should be able to hop over if I trade in the Asp then. And I'll probably never sell my Courier, which is conveniently sitting in Arjung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Kavros posted:

6B or 6C shields with four boosters, two large pulses and two medium multicannons, A grade the distributor, anything else can be junky D's, and you'll do okay in hirez. Including the discounts people have found, that will get you in the game at 25 million. Your initial shields will only be about 400 MJ, but since all shields regenerate the same amount over time anyway all that means is that you shouldn't be tanking 400 or more damage in any fight, for maximum income over time. So snipe at all the pirates the cops are already shooting.

I have less shields on my Clipper (3 boosters) and HiRes is nothing.

in His you still have greens to take heat off of you so it's incredibly easy.

More shields is always better though because ramming is the Clipper's game. I would say 4x boosters and the biggest shield you can possible afford would be for Haz

Re: ramming, does that do penetration damage and hit subsystems? Because I slammed into an Anaconda that was at 40% hull right in the powerplant area and he dropped to 20% hull and exploded. I didn't have the planet targetted at the time (loving chaff) so I don't know if I had taken it out on the ram and rolled an explosion or what.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
While I agree that the Clipper is really a dressed up melee combat weapon (five weapon slots: C3, C3, C2, C2, SPACEHAMMER7) whose magnificent game is its magnificent ramming, while RES farming it's usually best to avoid ramming at all, since each ram takes a significant hunk out of your shields.

Exception: when small ships point straight at you and just conveniently hold still to scan you, feel free to boost straight at them and hit them with your lasers a split second before you dong them into oblivion. The laser hit makes sure when they explode a second later from the donging that you get the bounty credit.

Don't worry, the scan doesn't huOHJESUSCHRIST

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Cheapest way to make money with a clipper is hauling or mining, it's slightly less good at hauling than say, the python since it uses large pads, but still good at basically everything. It's not super good for RES or CZ farming due to the shield numbers, but you can make it work if you really want.

Here's a quick and dirty mining clipper http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/06D6D5A5D6A5D4C1e1e2m2m040000000605451vC0C0C5P4.Iw18aQ==.AwiMIyuo
if you're looking to go really cheap you can downgrade the fsd or shield, but 30~mil is pretty barebones as far as the clipper goes.

And here's an economy hauling clipper for good measure http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/04C5D5A5D5D5D4C----040400000605030302400101.Iw18aQ==.Aw18aQ==

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Do they sell Couriers in Arjung? I think I have enough to buy it so I can kit it out later. I already have a Clipper.

Also, will I need to be of sufficient rank to upgrade the ship after the rank reqs are reinstated?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Zaardvark posted:

Mining is quite easy, but it's very boring compared to everything else you could be doing. And without a CG, it's a bit more profitable to be hunting pirates or doing massive trading runs.

I actually find mining to be fairly relaxing. It will be more relaxing when they un-stupid the refinery so it stops randomly jamming, but that one hitch aside I enjoy chilling through a ring while drones scoot around doing my work for me.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Do they sell Couriers in Arjung? I think I have enough to buy it so I can kit it out later. I already have a Clipper.

Also, will I need to be of sufficient rank to upgrade the ship after the rank reqs are reinstated?

AFAIK once you have the ship you're golden, no need for rank to replace or modify the ship once you own it.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

No, I think I bought mine in Hel with a discount - but I can't guarantee that.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Ho-ly poo poo, I haven't played in a year and logged into find my save file wiped. So that's cool.

What is the most important thing I need to know to get back up to speed?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Rime posted:

Ho-ly poo poo, I haven't played in a year and logged into find my save file wiped. So that's cool.

Contact :frontear: support about it, supposedly they are helpful with that sort of thing.

Hamburger Test posted:

No, I think I bought mine in Hel with a discount - but I can't guarantee that.

Thanks for the tip, I'll double check later.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Rime posted:

Was the last time you played the beta?

I think they did end up wiping saves after that, although I'm not 100% sure.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

poo poo, that's a good question.

I don't think I ever wiped my save/had it wiped by Frontier and I picked up in Beta 3.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Rime posted:

Yeah, contact support. This weekend while trying to relearn the game, I blew up my Clipper and couldn't pay the bill so I effectively went back to square one. A goon suggested telling them what happened, so I did. I got a response within 24 hours, and they reimbursed me in credits for everything I lost.

It took some time moving around getting the ship and parts back together but I'm back to where I was no worse for wear.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

Yeah, contact support. This weekend while trying to relearn the game, I blew up my Clipper and couldn't pay the bill so I effectively went back to square one. A goon suggested telling them what happened, so I did. I got a response within 24 hours, and they reimbursed me in credits for everything I lost.

It took some time moving around getting the ship and parts back together but I'm back to where I was no worse for wear.

Frontier is a lot of things but they are all-around good folk :unsmith:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

tooterfish posted:

It was before December 16th, so I guess I just got the launch wipe. The game has changed so much that I'm not particularly salty about a couple million credits.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Rime posted:

It was before December 16th, so I guess I just got the launch wipe. The game has changed so much that I'm not particularly salty about a couple million credits.

if it was only a couple million credits it's almost impossible to express how much easier it is to get money now than it was in the beta

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Bushiz posted:

if it was only a couple million credits it's almost impossible to express how much easier it is to get money now than it was in the beta
True, but that said, progress from Gamma should've been preserved, so do contact Frontier about it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Anyone got a decent overear headphones recommendation? I need something to mount my EDtracker on and the cups on the Sennheiser HD 202's I bought earlier are too small for my ears to fit comfortably despite it being marketed as overear.

I'd use my Bose QC15's but the limitation of battery, me taking it almost everywhere out of the house and the band on top being soft doesn't make it a good choice for me.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Takstar HI2050's, $50 shipped with DT880 drivers.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

tooterfish posted:

Gah, you're telling people the secret!
Filter your galaxy map to remove uninhabited systems and you'll see there's a string of these worlds stretching from Sothis all the way back to human space. You can hit them all in a row and make good cash picking up just the long ranged haulage missions. Smuggling missions are a bonus, but not really necessary to make bank.

Screw that. Sothis and Ceos trade too frequently between each other, Robigo always sends you back towards the bubble for $bigbux.

If you really want to cheese it, pick up quests from Robigo in an Asp and sell all the delivery items from the quests back in the commodity exchange. Then jump back in towards the bubble, swap out to a 280+ cargo hold sized Python, buy the commodities back and turn them all in. With the exception of smuggling quests, Robigo gives trade quests with minerals and metals, so a quick check on eddb.io means that restocking the items into a python can be a 0-stop shop if you pick your home system right.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

This weekend while trying to relearn the game, I blew up my Clipper and couldn't pay the bill so I effectively went back to square one. A goon suggested telling them what happened, so I did. I got a response within 24 hours, and they reimbursed me in credits for everything I lost.

I'm glad that you got your ship back, because of GOON SOLIDARITY and all, but... On the whole, why the heck is tech support just randomly doing this for people in cases of gross negligence? :monocle:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Trustworthy posted:

I'm glad that you got your ship back, because of GOON SOLIDARITY and all, but... On the whole, why the heck is tech support just randomly doing this for people in cases of gross negligence? :monocle:

Everybody gets one.

(In all seriousness, probably because even :frontear: knows that someone making a couple of bad decisions and being 100% back to square one isn't a super fantastic game design decision when it comes to "player retention".)

and despite that there are people in the brown sea agitating for 'you have to pay 100% for the the full ship every time you die' :psyduck:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Screw that. Sothis and Ceos trade too frequently between each other, Robigo always sends you back towards the bubble for $bigbux.
Yeah. You're not reading what I wrote there buddy. You can lead a horse to water and all that.

Just do what I said with your galaxy map and you'll see, no cheesing required to make big bucks. You don't even have to go out as far as Sothis to make it a 5+ system run.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 3, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Cripes, where can I find an FDL in Li Yong-Rui space? Neither of my usual stops at Diaguandri and Lembava carry them. I've got all this money from the bounty hunting CG and I need to get a new ride.

e: vvvvvvvvvvvvvv Just found one at Ising Dock in 109 Piscium, whee, thanks though

Sard fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 3, 2015

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Sard posted:

Cripes, where can I find an FDL in Li Yong-Rui space? Neither of my usual stops at Diaguandri and Lembava carry them. I've got all this money from the bounty hunting CG and I need to get a new ride.

Try these:
Umbilo
HIP 20342
BD+28 413

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
So I spent my hard earned spacebux and got a fully fitted Clipper (well almost, sans the rank 7 shield generator). I've had fun with it and it is a great ship but I'm already looking at the list of ships to plan my next acquisition. I think its Anaconda time. What I'm trying to say is I'm ready to burn out and take a long break from this game.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anyone got a decent overear headphones recommendation? I need something to mount my EDtracker on and the cups on the Sennheiser HD 202's I bought earlier are too small for my ears to fit comfortably despite it being marketed as overear.

I'd use my Bose QC15's but the limitation of battery, me taking it almost everywhere out of the house and the band on top being soft doesn't make it a good choice for me.

I'm a huge fan of my Audiotechnica ATH-AD700s.

They're super light, super comfy- like .. wear all day and don't even notice comfy. They also sound pretty amazing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Bought new computer stuff to MAXIMIZE MY GRAPHICS and of course W10 is a gently caress to reinstall

Hope they don't fix that one weird trick up there

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
Would you say this is worth paying the full price for with Horizons (relatively) close to release? It seems silly to pay double instead of just waiting a month or so, but it does look insanely fun and the Cobra might make the purchase worthwhile.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If by 'overear' you mean big-rear end, would not wear in public headphones, then this person:

PadreScout posted:

They're super light, super comfy- like .. wear all day and don't even notice comfy. They also sound pretty amazing.

is right. I have a set of Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X, which is probably the same kind of thing, and the numbers are mostly just rip-off the audiophiles marketing nonsense.

The important thing is they are open headphones, which means everyone else can hear your stuff, so don't use anywhere that'll make people nearby want to punch you .

These things absolutely own for playing Elite, and anything else. They are crazily light & comfy, and you hear all the (imaginary) sounds of space in superb detail.

A TrackIR headset attachment thing fits almost perfectly (with a few added mm of any random spongy stuff) on the springy cable things that hold headphones together, though not sure how EDtracker attaches.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rime posted:

You mean like replace the drivers on the headset? I'll look at the Takstars. Amazon reviews make it sound solid.

PadreScout posted:

xiansi posted:

If by 'overear' you mean big-rear end, would not wear in public headphones, then this person:

is right. I have a set of Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X, which is probably the same kind of thing, and the numbers are mostly just rip-off the audiophiles marketing nonsense.

The important thing is they are open headphones, which means everyone else can hear your stuff, so don't use anywhere that'll make people nearby want to punch you .

These things absolutely own for playing Elite, and anything else. They are crazily light & comfy, and you hear all the (imaginary) sounds of space in superb detail.

A TrackIR headset attachment thing fits almost perfectly (with a few added mm of any random spongy stuff) on the springy cable things that hold headphones together, though not sure how EDtracker attaches.

Little pricey for me and not 100% sure how I would mount it without it being annoying. I was going to use 3M lock strips which I like a lot. EDTracker recommends to mount horizontally on top of my head.

Thanks for the recs though, guys. I'll look at everything.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
If you're getting one with a magnometer it has to be on top of the head afaik. I just put mine on a hairband and continued using my speakers.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Rime posted:

Do you wear glasses with yours? Ever since I got tired of contacts and went back to wearing eyeglasses, I've been unable to wear my Steelseries Siberia V2 headset because of all the weight and pressure killing my ears between it and the metal bows. If these are light or cushioned enough to not do that, I'll also probably order them, that price is great.

Could also use some advice on setting up the FDL. I like how cheap it is to set up, but good grief it's touchy with the power supply. If only we had an out-of-combat shield regeneration solution and weren't forced to carry more than one SCB... starting to think I may have been better off putting the credits towards high-end armor on the FAS after all, quadrupling its effective hull HP against lasers.

Currently looking at this setup, also to try out life with sensors better than D rating: http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/05A5A4A4D6A4A3C1r1a1a1a1a0404030l00004b5e5e2o66.AwRj4zNEg===.AwgsIJmCZhmBUQNKIA==?bn=combat%20f4

or with a plasma accelerator?

Sard fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 4, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

AndroidHub posted:

If you're getting one with a magnometer it has to be on top of the head afaik. I just put mine on a hairband and continued using my speakers.

It's with the magnometer. I built it a year ago. I just fell out of Elite for a while and just now got back in.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 4, 2015

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Kitted out an Adder for exploration because I'm bored and have all night to myself tonight. Been flying in a straight direction towards the first nebula I thought looked cool. However, I've probably flown 800-900 Ly in a straight line and I'm getting loving followed, every single jump, by the same NPC trying to interdict me. Same name, same message appears in chat. Over and over and over and over again. I can't stop and explore/scan anything because if I do I just get interdicted. I've even dropped out of supercruise, went to make dinner, came back and made one jump, immediately getting messages in chat and the same NPC on my radar.

Am I loving something up or am I supposed to just be infinitely followed by an NPC no matter where I go, with no cargo or bounty?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Kitted out an Adder for exploration because I'm bored and have all night to myself tonight. Been flying in a straight direction towards the first nebula I thought looked cool. However, I've probably flown 800-900 Ly in a straight line and I'm getting loving followed, every single jump, by the same NPC trying to interdict me. Same name, same message appears in chat. Over and over and over and over again. I can't stop and explore/scan anything because if I do I just get interdicted. I've even dropped out of supercruise, went to make dinner, came back and made one jump, immediately getting messages in chat and the same NPC on my radar.

Am I loving something up or am I supposed to just be infinitely followed by an NPC no matter where I go, with no cargo or bounty?

Do you have any pending missions, like smuggling ones, etc? Since as I recall they can result in you being followed by an NPC or two, until they've been resolved. (primary example being the crazy Sothis smuggling runs that people were doing up until recently)

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You mean like replace the drivers on the headset? I'll look at the Takstars. Amazon reviews make it sound solid.

Nah, IIRC they use the same drivers or close enough to be indistinguishable in quality. I love 'em.

Sard posted:

Do you wear glasses with yours? Ever since I got tired of contacts and went back to wearing eyeglasses, I've been unable to wear my Steelseries Siberia V2 headset because of all the weight and pressure killing my ears between it and the metal bows. If these are light or cushioned enough to not do that, I'll also probably order them, that price is great.

Yup, never suffered any kind of fatigue while wearing them. They're just right in terms of padding, weight, etc.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I've never seen that happen once. Check your missions and delete any that you have like the other poster said.

Which nebula are you going to. I went to coalsack my first time

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I had a "find X and bring it to Z" mission in my log. Deleted it and instantly stopped getting followed. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
A moment of silence please for Literally Kermit, who exploded in a HazRES after an excitable wingman rammed his Courier with a Vulture.

• Locked thread