Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bring back the farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

I saw that page load and instantly wanted to shove that loser in a loving toilet face first.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
these leak videos are dumb, where's all the sneaking and sniping??

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

frajaq posted:

Didn't F3 make a save right before you click on the door to the outside and you can re-make your character?

Yes, and so does skyrim. Though both games have starts that have slight choices that dont necessarily matter. I think FO3 had longer term ones but it wasn't related to the main plot while in skyrim you can change your faction allegiance later anyway.

New Vegas did this, too.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

I saw that page load and instantly wanted to shove that loser in a loving toilet face first.

uh ok

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Maybe you should go back to Fallout 3's non-existent farms.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Boogaleeboo posted:

Well, maybe if you were about two feet taller and didn't look like some sort of deranged sci-fi author's excuse for having skeleton warriors...

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

coyo7e posted:

Why?

I'm the original person who created the several successive OPs for fallout 3 and New Vegas, and while 3 had some rough edges I like it better than New Vegas. So please educate me - a twenty-year hardcore Fallout NMA nut, how NV is better.

I'm with you. I did everything in Fallout 3 and have never managed to make it more than 6 hours into new vegas before quitting.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I tried reading the thread but felt parts of myself coming loose inside, could someone summarize why this is going to be a bad game please?

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

That'll show Chad! You and him can be best buddies now!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Effectronica is here now? Let's see long it takes until it starts PMing people "ironic" but clearly passionate death threats for disagreeing with him.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

There's a shitton of things Fallout 3 did that New Vegas just threw away, mostly have to do with map and area design.

But I guess it doesn't matter, choosing between joining stupid America 2.0, savage slavers wearing football armor wielding knives but ironclad dictatorship comes with order so they are not that bad and a robot dude who doesn't give a poo poo and just wants to go into space, sure is the epitome of moral choices.
I mean, I just don't loving care, I just wanted to get the guy who shot me in the head.

Actually Fallout 3 has a more personal story than New Vegas did, which is funny since that tend to be Obsidian's speciality.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Lemon posted:

I tried reading the thread but felt parts of myself coming loose inside, could someone summarize why this is going to be a bad game please?

Too much water near Boston.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Lemon posted:

When you are crippled a huge neon pip boy appears on screen and does a distracting motion until you aren't crippled anymore, this is on top of already the worst interface I've literally ever seen

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lemon posted:

HATE WATER

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lemon posted:

The animations are bad, the AI looks really dumb and dogmeat can fall off the elevator but the last one is kinda good really.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bholder posted:

There's a shitton of things Fallout 3 did that New Vegas just threw away, mostly have to do with map and area design.

But I guess it doesn't matter, choosing between joining stupid America 2.0, savage slavers wearing football armor wielding knives but ironclad dictatorship comes with order so they are not that bad and a robot dude who doesn't give a poo poo and just wants to go into space, sure is the epitome of moral choices.
I mean, I just don't loving care, I just wanted to get the guy who shot me in the head.

Actually Fallout 3 has a more personal story than New Vegas did, which is funny since that tend to be Obsidian's speciality.

The personal story of the town with four people, two of whom are lunatics in superhero costumes.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Y'all are crazy

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

I'm with you. I did everything in Fallout 3 and have never managed to make it more than 6 hours into new vegas before quitting.

*that scene from Oz where Tobias Beecher walks by Adam Guenzel in a cage*

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
I've noticed in the leaked videos that people barely ever use VATS. Do people not like it? I always much preferred using it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lemon posted:

I don't think that's what this thread's about. It's about hope.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

null posted:

Fallout 3 had a better intro than New Vegas imo, growing up in the vault and such.

Yeah I really enjoyed the intro to F3. Regardless of any other shortcomings the game has.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Vault 112 -> Tranquility Lane is a really good segment and might be cooler than anything in vanilla New Vegas but NV has a higher average.

The first time I pulled Dad Neeson out of Tranquility Lane, I didnt realize he would fast travel with me (hadn't used companions) so I actually spent 50 minutes and all my weapons/ammo walking back to Rivet City:

KoB
May 1, 2009
The intro was cool once but I really appreciated how fast you got into the game in NV.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

The first time I pulled Dad Neeson out of Tranquility Lane, I didnt realize he would fast travel with me (hadn't used companions) so I actually spent 50 minutes and all my weapons/ammo walking back to Rivet City:

Oh you poor, poor bastard

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Lemon posted:

Every time you gain XP a loud CHA-CHING! noise plays. When in combat this sound will play about once every two seconds. To make it worse, theres a perk that gives you XP randomly when you take any action such as opening a door.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

frajaq posted:

Oh you poor, poor bastard

Yeah it sucked. Also in terms of "personal stories" the Republic of Dave is pretty good. Just some survivalist rando in the corner of the map being all nuts.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Every time you gain XP a loud CHA-CHING! noise plays. When in combat this sound will play about once every two seconds. To make it worse, theres a perk that gives you XP randomly when you take any action such as opening a door.

I'm hoping that and the constant animations will be a toggle in the options

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

For real though. This is probably one of the most annoying things I have seen so far and I hope to disable it on day one.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Vhak lord of hate posted:

When you are crippled a huge neon pip boy appears on screen and does a distracting motion until you aren't crippled anymore, this is on top of already the worst interface I've literally ever seen

Is this actually true?

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The animations are bad, the AI looks really dumb and dogmeat can fall off the elevator but the last one is kinda good really.

Dumb as in worse than previous games, or just the way that AI is dumb in most games?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Smellem Sexbad posted:

I've noticed in the leaked videos that people barely ever use VATS. Do people not like it? I always much preferred using it.

The new shooting mechanics are a major selling point, so people are probably trying to play it like an fps until it becomes too much of a hassle not to use VATS.

Graphically, the game really does look like poo poo, but I'm going to quit my job and life for a week or two, and then hope everyone takes me back when I'm done. I generally listen to podcasts when playing games of this ilk, so worst case scenario is I actually learn something.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Lemon posted:

Is this actually true?

Dumb as in worse than previous games, or just the way that AI is dumb in most games?

Enemies take cover and more around move than just running straight at you and standing there so 'dumb' might be a load of poo poo.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

crabcakes66 posted:

For real though. This is probably one of the most annoying things I have seen so far and I hope to disable it on day one.

There will definitely be a mod within the first week that disables it. Its just baffling that Bethesda chose to put that in again after Obsidian had the good sense to realize it was a horrible design decision and removed it for NV.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
I'm having a difficult time understanding phrases like, "Graphically, the game really does look like poo poo". The game clearly is no Crysis 3, but to say that it looks like poo poo? That's absurd.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Lemon posted:

Is this actually true?

Yeah and it's really distracting and large.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

So this game is pretty likely to have SPECIAL bobbleheads, right? I'm planning my scientist character and sticking myself at 1 under where I'd like to be on each stat.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KoB posted:

The intro was cool once but I really appreciated how fast you got into the game in NV.

agreed, I tried to play Fallout 3 yesterday and it was really slow going

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Star Guarded posted:

So this game is pretty likely to have SPECIAL bobbleheads, right? I'm planning my scientist character and sticking myself at 1 under where I'd like to be on each stat.

You improve stats with perks, so every character will have all 10s by the end when you're storming MIT.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vhak lord of hate posted:

By far my favorite part of replaying any game is being stuck in a 20 minute intro scene that's basically the same every time you play it.

It's always useful to remember the save file name you made right before you exit the vault / imperial prison / that fortress so that you can go back to it and never have to deal with the loving tutorial again. At least they give you mercy of the 'are you sure this is right' screen upon you last exit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I don't think that's what it does. It says you randomly gain 3x for any action. I assumed that meant sometimes you get triple the normal amount of xp for an action that would give you xp, not that farting and pushing snow globes off tables suddenly grant xp

• Locked thread