Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lemon posted:

Dumb as in worse than previous games, or just the way that AI is dumb in most games?

It looked dumb even for Fallout to me. Like the AI would randomly turn their back to the player while combat for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Star Guarded posted:

So this game is pretty likely to have SPECIAL bobbleheads, right? I'm planning my scientist character and sticking myself at 1 under where I'd like to be on each stat.

Yeah we have already seen one in one of the leaked shots.

They may have even been in the E3 stuff but I don't remember.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fergus posted:

I'm having a difficult time understanding phrases like, "Graphically, the game really does look like poo poo". The game clearly is no Crysis 3, but to say that it looks like poo poo? That's absurd.

Well it doesn't look good. The art direction seems pretty meh, blurry textures seem frequent and the animation is just as bad as it always is in a bethesda game. GTA5, DA:I, and Witcher 3 all look decidedly better to me.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

projecthalaxy posted:

The first time I pulled Dad Neeson out of Tranquility Lane, I didnt realize he would fast travel with me (hadn't used companions) so I actually spent 50 minutes and all my weapons/ammo walking back to Rivet City:
Thank you for role-playing.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Effectronica posted:

You improve stats with perks, so every character will have all 10s by the end when you're storming MIT.
That was true of FO3/NV too and I'd rather spend the perks elsewhere. I know there's no level limit anymore but if it takes twenty hours to get from level 50 to 51, that's basically a level limit for me.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

I actually played through a good chunk of Oblivion without knowing there was a fast travel function.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

rope kid posted:

Thank you for role-playing.

You're welcome. I gave him a missile launcher and some rockets I had and he blew my legs off trying to protect me from a mole rat I was hammering.

Like, thanks dad but dang little unnecessary.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Star Guarded posted:

That was true of FO3/NV too and I'd rather spend the perks elsewhere. I know there's no level limit anymore but if it takes twenty hours to get from level 50 to 51, that's basically a level limit for me.

On the other hand, given the rest of the perks, you may end up sighing and boosting CHA again because there's nothing more interesting.

Beast
May 2, 2004
thirsty for justice
I did pretty much the exact same thing with Liam Neeson dad in Fallout 3.

I really hope the loving dog is entirely optional. The only dog I wanted to spend any time with in the fallout games has been the robodog.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Fergus posted:

I'm having a difficult time understanding phrases like, "Graphically, the game really does look like poo poo". The game clearly is no Crysis 3, but to say that it looks like poo poo? That's absurd.

Crysis 3 came out almost 3 years ago. I'm not saying FO4 should look like Crysis, but maybe look like a AAA game made in 2015? 2014, even.

Honestly, it doesn't even matter because, as I said, I'm going to play it a lot. A lot, a lot. ReShade is there initially to boost vibrance a bit since it looks washed out, and then in a year or so we'll see all the great graphics mods we've come to expect for this kind of game.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

More high quality footage with good commentary here

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

What language are these fine gentlemen speaking?

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

cow starts to play the "get up" animation but immediately restarts it for no reason

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Can I make Bane in this game, Fallout 4? Can I wear a Bane-esque mask?

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Every time you gain XP a loud CHA-CHING! noise plays. When in combat this sound will play about once every two seconds. To make it worse, theres a perk that gives you XP randomly when you take any action such as opening a door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04AMvsyL770

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Fergus posted:

you're just mad because they got the game before you

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fergus posted:

English, you loving idiot.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

lol, just loving lol

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Can I make Bane in this game, Fallout 4? Can I wear a Bane-esque mask?

It comes with the Masketta Man perk.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Effectronica posted:

On the other hand, given the rest of the perks, you may end up sighing and boosting CHA again because there's nothing more interesting.
Possibly. They're not terribly exciting, but excluding expansion pack perks from FO3/NV, I'm not noticing much difference. They have to do more heavy-lifting with the numbers because skills are gone, but all the "fun perks" are still there.

Some stuff got streamlined, mercifully. Four perks invested in "Demolitions Expert" in FO4 is the same as buying 5 different explosives-related perks in NV.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fergus posted:

It's English.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The pathing for the player character on those stairs was really... not good. I wonder if that's going to be the case for all of the stronghold stuff?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Effectronica posted:

Well, maybe if you were about two feet taller and didn't look like some sort of deranged sci-fi author's excuse for having skeleton warriors...

Man I hope I can make myself 8 feet tall in Fallout 4 and shove people in radioactive toilets.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I would imagine you don't even need to mod out the CHA-CHING noise, just find the audio file and rename it with a 1 at the end or something. Then when it tries to pull the audio file it finds nothing.

Of course it's a Bethesda game so that'll probably crash the game.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

English, you loving idiot.

Did I strike a nerve? :banjo:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xeremides posted:

Crysis 3 came out almost 3 years ago. I'm not saying FO4 should look like Crysis, but maybe look like a AAA game made in 2015? 2014, even.

Honestly, it doesn't even matter because, as I said, I'm going to play it a lot. A lot, a lot. ReShade is there initially to boost vibrance a bit since it looks washed out, and then in a year or so we'll see all the great graphics mods we've come to expect for this kind of game.

Comparing a huge open world game like Fallout to an FPS like Crysis is kind of unfair, though. It's easier to get the nuts and bolts of a shooter right. Sure they could have spent more time and money on graphics, but then the gameplay would have taken a hit and we'd all be moaning (even more) about the game being 'dumbed down.' It's not like they have unlimited resources to work with and you can't really have it both ways.

What other AAA games are as big and have as many moving parts as a Bethesda game? You'd be hard pressed to find them. GTA maybe? Not like the graphics on that are anything particularly phenomenal either though.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 4, 2015

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn
In terms of resources there are few in a better position than Bethesda. That said I won't begrudge them for continuing to produce games using their current, insanely successful model, rather than dump the money into a graphics engine for the sake of pleasing an audience that might not want the game either way.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

What other AAA games are as big and have as many moving parts as a Bethesda game? You'd be hard pressed to find them. GTA maybe? Not like the graphics on that are anything particularly phenomenal either though.

we've been over this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXnKxRvX3Z4

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

this is the best commentary i have ever heard for leaked video game footage. usually is just some whiny loving nerds sperging out but this convo is real by real people who actually leave their homes and i love it.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Have there been any leaks of the PC version yet?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moridin920 posted:

Comparing a huge open world game like Fallout to an FPS like Crysis is kind of unfair, though. It's easier to get the nuts and bolts of a shooter right. Sure they could have spent more time and money on graphics, but then the gameplay would have taken a hit and we'd all be moaning (even more) about the game being 'dumbed down.' It's not like they have unlimited resources to work with and you can't really have it both ways.

What other AAA games are as big and have as many moving parts as a Bethesda game? You'd be hard pressed to find them. GTA maybe?

Pretty much all of the examples cited over and over and over again in this thread, but The Witcher, Phantom Pain, GTA, Saints Row. You can argue relative merits, and each of them is in a slightly different genre, but it's not like creating giant open world games is some dark art that only Bethesda can accomplish.

Hammy posted:

In terms of resources there are few in a better position than Bethesda. That said I won't begrudge them for continuing to produce games using their current, insanely successful model, rather than dump the money into a graphics engine for the sake of pleasing an audience that might not want the game either way.

Yeah, exactly. Bethesda made millions of dollars with Skyrim alone, and they could easily invest in (at least) middleware to fix a lot of the recurring Bethesda problems. I mean, gently caress, they now own IDTech which is one of the most technically competent devs ever. It's just a fact that, from an economic standpoint, they don't have to do any of that. I don't necessarily blame them, because games are a business and they're trying to spend as little money as possible to make as much as possible. Consumers don't hold them to task over bugginess, animations, or graphics, so they don't really have an incentive to improve. It's annoying as a player, but it's not really rocket science.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 4, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lemon posted:

Have there been any leaks of the PC version yet?

Yes, already.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Yes, already.

Gameplay footage? I was only able to find screenshots

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sector_corrector posted:

Pretty much all of the examples cited over and over and over again in this thread, but The Witcher, Phantom Pain, GTA, Saints Row. You can argue relative merits, and each of them is in a slightly different genre, but it's not like creating giant open world games is some dark art that only Bethesda can accomplish.

Witcher is not nearly as complex as a Bethesda game. Sorry but it just isn't. 95% of the NPCs are throwaway NPCs that have no lines and do nothing and just either sit in their position 24/7 or walk between point A and B and that's it. I loved Witcher 3 but come on. There isn't even a robust physics system. Can't put buckets on people's heads and rob them blind, for example.

GTA doesn't have particularly amazing graphics, Saint's Row DEFINITELY doesn't. Fallout 4 looks at least on par with both of those. I literally just played GTA5 last night on a good PC and it looks about the same as the FO4 footage.

I'm not saying it's a dark art, I'm saying it's a question of a finite amount of resources. You can't make literally every aspect of the game as well rounded as any other aspect unless you're toady and you just say gently caress it I'm working on it until it's done.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

sonofzuez saying the real truth at 2:14 in this video

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moridin920 posted:

Witcher is not nearly as complex as a Bethesda game. Sorry but it just isn't. 95% of the NPCs are throwaway NPCs that have no lines and do nothing and just either sit in their position 24/7 or walk between point A and B and that's it. I loved Witcher 3 but come on. There isn't even a physics system.

GTA doesn't have particularly amazing graphics, Saint's Row DEFINITELY doesn't. Fallout 4 looks at least on par with both of those. I literally just played GTA5 last night on a good PC and it looks about the same as the FO4 footage.

I'm not saying it's a dark art, I'm saying it's a question of a finite amount of resources. You can't make literally every aspect of the game as well rounded as any other aspect unless you're toady and you just say gently caress it I'm working on it until it's done.

You have a weird definition of complexity. Also, I'm not sure if you've ever walked around a Bethesda town, but you've literally described the behavior and function of most NPCs in their games. You asked who makes games as big as Bethesda, and the answer is: a lot of studios do.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
If there is no Red Coat clothing set I'm going to throw a loving FIT.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lemon posted:

Gameplay footage? I was only able to find screenshots

Nope only screenshots so far

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

sector_corrector posted:

It's always useful to remember the save file name you made right before you exit the vault / imperial prison / that fortress so that you can go back to it and never have to deal with the loving tutorial again. At least they give you mercy of the 'are you sure this is right' screen upon you last exit.

You have this in NV. You just have to leave Goodsprings. I have a save that just has the tutorial all done with the Hunting Rifle, Laser Pistol, and all the stuff you find in Goodsprings ready to go. You literally just have to walk down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Fergus posted:

Did I strike a nerve? :banjo:

You're a loving moron.

• Locked thread