Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The Heavy Schlong is my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm actually kinda confused as to why everyone is so upset with the design here. This is the same as complaining that a space marine, a space marine with bolt pistol, a space marine with flamer, and a space marine with a plasma gun look too similar from behind. I'd be more upset that they've essentially given you four ships totally with equipment options instead of actual ship diversity.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm actually kinda confused as to why everyone is so upset with the design here. This is the same as complaining that a space marine, a space marine with bolt pistol, a space marine with flamer, and a space marine with a plasma gun look too similar from behind. I'd be more upset that they've essentially given you four ships totally with equipment options instead of actual ship diversity.

I understand the concern that people have. I also understand that it is a pretty trivial thing and something that other systems deal with as well.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

There's a kind of visual consistency about it too - for the UCM, if it's got no 'wing' turrets it's a Light Cruiser, and if it's got weaponry on its upper prow it's a Heavy Cruiser. Plus there's only really two/three weapon systems (railgun turrets, big laser, the bombardment turrets on the Madrid), which I'd assume have fairly consistent gameplay effects.

Scourge are a bit muddier, but the Light Cruiser/Cruiser/Heavy Cruiser is represented by no 'wings'/wings/crest on the prow, and weapons are broken down by 'missile tubes'/glowey red things/spinal mount cannon.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Not read too much into the rules etc, but is it possible there aren't any differences rules-wise so the weapon patterns etc. are purely an aesthetic choice?

In any case it's easy enough to write down what each ship is and stick a note to the bases so it's not too bad a problem. Though I agree they should've made fewer variants and made them more distinctive.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zark the Damned posted:

Not read too much into the rules etc, but is it possible there aren't any differences rules-wise so the weapon patterns etc. are purely an aesthetic choice?

In any case it's easy enough to write down what each ship is and stick a note to the bases so it's not too bad a problem. Though I agree they should've made fewer variants and made them more distinctive.

From what I understand the options matter. Though it seems fairly easy to ID things like burnthrough lasers even if they are underslung.

From the discussions of the weapons it is easy to tell. The UMN have three barrels on the rail cannons, so each rail cannon gets three die. The burnthrough laser looks obvious. The missiles and turrets all work on close offense / close defense. That's about all you need to know about the ships.

EDIT: Keep in mind the side shot that boom boom boom is a side shot and doesn't show that a lot of poo poo hangs off the side of the "mouth" of the ships. This makes it easier to tell apart even from above.

beasts of war has more info and videos on it: http://www.beastsofwar.com/dropfleet/weekend-weapons-free/

LordAba fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 31, 2015

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Almost 3 years since Flying Butts crashed and burned, and refunds are finally going to be sent out it seems.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Almost 3 years since Flying Butts crashed and burned, and refunds are finally going to be sent out it seems.

Weirdly I just got a message thanking me for my feedback when I sent a note about not being a dick, but that was months ago. Weird.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Got paypaled my cash while I was out at work with an extra $10 for the wait. While it's nice to finally have the refund, that long silence still feels right annoying.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Scythe is down to its last two days(ish). It will likely pass its mostly lackluster stretch goals. I cancelled my pledge but I'm still waffling.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I'm out on Scythe. I'm sure I can pick it up cheaper at retail and the KS benefits don't seem very exciting. Stretch goal nonsense has been lackluster as well and that was basically the nail in the coffin.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
New kickstarter. Appropriately advertised in the winter months.

quote:

Editions Icare is proud to present a French role playing game with a truly original theme, already loved by players for the quality of its writing and its illustrations, now in English language for the first time ever. This funding campaign aims to back the professional translation of the work, and its distribution in the USA and the United Kingdom. Our publishing company, now eight years old, is specialized in publishing independent role-playing games with strong themes. We would therefore like to invite you to discover Würm, a role playing game that takes place at the very origins of humanity, which will surely strike a chord with both new and experienced players alike.

Humanity before history began, thirty five thousand years ago, in the middle of an ice age…

Link to Kickstarter Campaign

When you play Würm, it will be up to you to imagine what life was like for our ancestors, and give YOUR OWN vision of this time before time. During your adventures, whether simply surviving or going on perilous hunts or legendary quests, your characters will gain strength, wisdom and prestige by exploring unknown territories, daring to enter the darkness of mysterious caves, seeking out the powers of ancient spirits, or challenging the creatures of the night, the ice and the fire…

All the rules you need to play Würm are included in the core rulebook, detailed over nine chapters. These rules were designed to be simple and clear. For the most part, they only require a few 6-sided dice. Most of all, they were designed to be well adapted to the atmosphere of the Stone Age. For example, to develop the characters, you won’t need skills and stats, but a number of Strengths and Weaknesses that are connected to specific totems. Additionally, Talents and Secret techniques represent the abilities that a character will have to learn, such as painting, shamanism or certain combat techniques.

The game rules have been developed to be as close as possible to established archeological sources, carefully relaying what we know of the technical knowledge, the environment and part of the culture of our ancestors. However, the world of Würm also leaves room for a touch of fantasy and adventure: you will therefore find rules that allow you to play with the real powers of totem spirits, as well as a whole range of fantastical creatures living along side the mammoths and the cave bears, such as fire spirits, witches and glacier giants…

To let you dive right into the prehistoric adventure of the world of Würm, the core rulebook ends with four introduction scenarios, each one providing a specific atmosphere, such as adventure, investigation, melancholy, or humor. One scenario is especially designed for the initiation of younger players!

So prepare your flint or ivory-tipped spears, and make sure your clan and your totem spirits are behind you. The adventure begins the second you step outside your camp…Editions Icare is proud to present a French role playing game with a truly original theme, already loved by players for the quality of its writing and its illustrations, now in English language for the first time ever. This funding campaign aims to back the professional translation of the work, and its distribution in the USA and the United Kingdom. Our publishing company, now eight years old, is specialized in publishing independent role-playing games with strong themes. We would therefore like to invite you to discover Würm, a role playing game that takes place at the very origins of humanity, which will surely strike a chord with both new and experienced players alike. Humanity before history began, thirty five thousand years ago, in the middle of an ice age… In this long-forgotten time, many powerful creatures roamed far and wide over a vast territory covered in steppes and taiga, reaching from the white mountains to the raging sea: mammoths, aurochs, bison, giant deer, cave bears and cave lions. Among these huge creatures, two species of humans live in small communities of hunter-gatherers: the robust Bear Men (Neanderthals) and the taller Long Men (Cro-Magnon, or Cavemen).

All the rules you need to play Würm are included in the core rulebook, detailed over nine chapters. These rules were designed to be simple and clear. For the most part, they only require a few 6-sided dice. Most of all, they were designed to be well adapted to the atmosphere of the Stone Age. For example, to develop the characters, you won’t need skills and stats, but a number of Strengths and Weaknesses that are connected to specific totems. Additionally, Talents and Secret techniques represent the abilities that a character will have to learn, such as painting, shamanism or certain combat techniques. The game rules have been developed to be as close as possible to established archeological sources, carefully relaying what we know of the technical knowledge, the environment and part of the culture of our ancestors. However, the world of Würm also leaves room for a touch of fantasy and adventure: you will therefore find rules that allow you to play with the real powers of totem spirits, as well as a whole range of fantastical creatures living along side the mammoths and the cave bears, such as fire spirits, witches and glacier giants… To let you dive right into the prehistoric adventure of the world of Würm, the core rulebook ends with four introduction scenarios, each one providing a specific atmosphere, such as adventure, investigation, melancholy, or humor. One scenario is especially designed for the initiation of younger players! So prepare your flint or ivory-tipped spears, and make sure your clan and your totem spirits are behind you. The adventure begins the second you step outside your camp…

Please make sure to let us know if you have any question.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Oh, boy. I don't have very high hopes for the translation on this one, considering the Kickstarter isn't in the best of English. Shame, as it would be nice to see more French RPGs get translated into English.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea if you're gonna be selling a translation your english in your pitch should probably be good.

Still looks neat, I'll keep an eye on it.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."
On the flip side, the reason they're fundraising for the translation is because their English isn't good enough to do it themselves...

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The art is superb and the concept is great too but I'd like to see more about the mechanics, especially considering that they're asking for Euros.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

As an archaeology student I'll be keeping it on my radar.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Oh, boy. I don't have very high hopes for the translation on this one, considering the Kickstarter isn't in the best of English. Shame, as it would be nice to see more French RPGs get translated into English.

I can see why funding it would be hard. I can only think of one French RPG that got a really good translation and that was Agone, which from everything I can tell absolutely bombed. And then the other big French game to make in-roads was Confrontation and we all know how well that ended.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Weren't Qin: The Warring states and Yggdrasill originally French? (Or is it that the translation in those are bad?)

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
The translations of the various Shadows of Esteren books have been very good.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Got my Dungeon Saga add-ons in the mail today (but not the base game) and they all look pretty good. Very high production quality. Will take some photos later but hopefully the base game will turn up soon so I can start playing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

Weren't Qin: The Warring states and Yggdrasill originally French? (Or is it that the translation in those are bad?)

Qin is, I don't know Yggdrasil. The Qin translation is serviceable, but it's also not the same publisher and we don't know who's translating Wurm yet.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I can see why funding it would be hard. I can only think of one French RPG that got a really good translation and that was Agone, which from everything I can tell absolutely bombed. And then the other big French game to make in-roads was Confrontation and we all know how well that ended.

Funny story about the terrible Cadwallon translation: it's at least partly my fault, because Rackham wanted to hire me to translate it, and they weren't paying enough and wanted it done during exam week, so I turned them down. :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Funny story about the terrible Cadwallon translation: it's at least partly my fault, because Rackham wanted to hire me to translate it, and they weren't paying enough and wanted it done during exam week, so I turned them down. :v:

Sounds like they got what they paid for.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Estrago Bonito posted:

There is also the famous tabletop game Hell Dorado! Wait....

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It doesn't seem like it would be hard to get a good French translation, and yet...

Reminds me of how I wish there had been a faithful translation of In Nomine at some point. Maybe with the new edition...?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It doesn't seem like it would be hard to get a good French translation, and yet...

It's actually pretty hard since French is a complicated language that does not share a particularly large amount of vocabulary with English, and also most French people aren't fluent in English because they speak French, and vice versa.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's actually pretty hard since French is a complicated language that does not share a particularly large amount of vocabulary with English, and also most French people aren't fluent in English because they speak French, and vice versa.

My European history and contemporary knowledge is weak, but I thought a lot of Europeans spoke the language of other nations in the continent. At least my friend from Spain keeps saying so.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Practically every Western European nation teaches English as a secondary language in junior/senior high school.

There is a vast and cavernous gulf between "the English I learned in high school" and "English good enough to be fluent," let alone "English good enough to professionally translate a roleplaying game." The French and English especially don't see the point in learning anything other than their own language.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 4, 2015

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Covok posted:

My European history and contemporary knowledge is weak, but I thought a lot of Europeans spoke the language of other nations in the continent. At least my friend from Spain keeps saying so.

Except from the French and the English.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I'd say around 10% of the adults I know would have the language skills to do French->English translation (not including me - I only know my Canadian high school French). A native English speaker who's generally competent in French is not hard to find (on the Internet). The problem with these bad translations is they try to use, for example, a native French speaker who's generally competent in English - and you end up with some rough work that way.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jmzero posted:

I'd say around 10% of the adults I know would have the language skills to do French->English translation (not including me - I only know my Canadian high school French). A native English speaker who's generally competent in French is not hard to find (on the Internet). The problem with these bad translations is they try to use, for example, a native French speaker who's generally competent in English - and you end up with some rough work that way.

There is rarely a good reason to hire a translator who is translating into something other than his or her native language. If you want a French translation of English, you hire a native French speaker who knows English; if you want an English translation of French, you hire a native English speaker who knows French. It is far easier to get clarification about the source text for the non-native speaker than it is to catch all the oddities and nuances that only a native speaker would appreciate.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Specially when they idioms or other things that a native speaker knows and some one else reads and does not know what the gently caress they are trying to say. English Idioms confusing the gently caress out of second language speakers for English for ever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jmzero posted:

I'd say around 10% of the adults I know would have the language skills to do French->English translation

People have already pointed out that you hire English translators fluent in French, but unless you literally work in the localisation industry, this is hilariously wrong. Even someone who's fully bilingual doesn't have those skills; you also need a much more solid grasp of grammar and vocabulary than the average speaker as well knowledge of RPG jargon and common practices in both languages.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Chaosium translated French RPG Nephilim in the early 90s. However other than it having a cool cover and being about elemental spirits who possess people, I don't really know anything about it, including the quality of the translation.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

People have already pointed out that you hire English translators fluent in French, but unless you literally work in the localisation industry, this is hilariously wrong. Even someone who's fully bilingual doesn't have those skills; you also need a much more solid grasp of grammar and vocabulary than the average speaker as well knowledge of RPG jargon and common practices in both languages.

I said they had the language skills, not necessarily all the other skills or interests that would make them ideal candidates. I was responding to your idea that somehow finding someone who speaks French and English would be at all difficult.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I remember Nephilim being playable and definitely readable, though there were a few weird spots. I'm still not sure whether those weren't translated, weren't in the original French game, or were just NPCs being special.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

DCC 4th printing has put up the 2nd batch of stretch goals. Mostly swag but the 2 free adventures will be nice.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/dcc-rpg-4th-printing/posts/1404982

Its super good to see a Kickstarter doing real stretch goals instead of "at 200,000 you can pay us 50 more dollars for a book"

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The ocean is wet, Jupiter is large, and Kevin Crawford has once again completely missed his Kickstarter deadline and released the final product a month early.

Someone needs to teach that guy how to run a real RPG Kickstarter, with ridiculous goals that aren't delivered until the 2030s. Some kind of transmedia experience...?

quote:

This is my fourth ahead-of-schedule Kickstarter, and I have to say I rather like this whole financing method. Next on my plate are the demi-divine feats of celestial might to be found in Godbound, the OSR game of more-than-human heroes in a crumbling fantastic world. I'm toiling hard at it for Kickstarting early next year, and I hope you'll come along with me for it. And after that? Something I think will be very interesting to a lot of people. But we'll just have to see. For now, there is work to be done, and one task's completion means another job's start. Onward, then, to new vistas!
The stretch goals involved making a bunch of the art free "for personal and commercial purposes."

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 5, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

I really like this idea given that any rpg images are going to be thrown around /tg/ anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

DCC 4th printing has put up the 2nd batch of stretch goals. Mostly swag but the 2 free adventures will be nice.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/dcc-rpg-4th-printing/posts/1404982

Its super good to see a Kickstarter doing real stretch goals instead of "at 200,000 you can pay us 50 more dollars for a book"

I think the adventures and the folder are the best of those goals. Really, more RPGs should consider doing pocket folders.

• Locked thread