Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Blindeye posted:

So, the T20, is it a garbage tank? I find it really slow for a tank with no armor, and while the 90mm is workable with APCR, it is absolute dogshit when I try to conserve credits and use regular AP, mainly because it isn't very sneaky or fast to do flanking moves.

Know when you need to fire gold and when you can afford to be stingy (hint always fire gold) and just get a shot into the enemies every 10-20 seconds. Your mobility is there merely to reposition slightly to appear from a different area as you slowly whittle down the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Could you also educate me on the proper pronunciation of "Waffe" as in "Luftwaffe", specifically regarding the "e" at the end. I've only served in it, but I'm still not exactly sure whether to pronounce it like "wah-ff" or "wah-fuh".

It's actually pronounced "waifu"

LUFTWAIFU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blindeye posted:

So, the T20, is it a garbage tank? I find it really slow for a tank with no armor, and while the 90mm is workable with APCR, it is absolute dogshit when I try to conserve credits and use regular AP, mainly because it isn't very sneaky or fast to do flanking moves.

It's a boring tank, but a good boring tank (unlike the Panther). It should be played conservatively and in support of other tanks if possible. I've found it works best defensively due to its high camo and good view range (yeah, put optics on it). I didn't shoot much APCR when I played through it because I never went head-to-head with heavies. It's just not a good brawler, but it's a good counter-scout and flanker.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

well the last few pages have been very educational :five:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hellsau posted:

Know when you need to fire gold and when you can afford to be stingy (hint always fire gold) and just get a shot into the enemies every 10-20 seconds. Your mobility is there merely to reposition slightly to appear from a different area as you slowly whittle down the enemy.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

It's a boring tank, but a good boring tank (unlike the Panther). It should be played conservatively and in support of other tanks if possible. I've found it works best defensively due to its high camo and good view range (yeah, put optics on it). I didn't shoot much APCR when I played through it because I never went head-to-head with heavies. It's just not a good brawler, but it's a good counter-scout and flanker.

Thanks for the information. I've mostly been hanging back and picking where I position myself. Admittedly, in my 14 games I've seen about 50% of them as bottom-tier, and of those they tend to be mostly heavy tanks. It's a learning experience.

In other news, finally got the 105 on my T29. Immediately started doubling my average damage, so close to getting the new turret....

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Blindeye posted:

No, quite possibly the best tier 7 medium tank in the game (sorry Hellsau).
Speed, depression, alpha and gun makes it very versatile.
I keep thinking I should rebuy it, but there is always a new tank to grind credits for.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I hate HT-7 so much. Sure maybe the enemy will try to cap something and I can stop them, or maybe I can cap before my team kill the last enemy, but none of it is in my loving control :argh:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 3, 2015

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Despite not having a PhD in linguistics, I've been doing pretty well in tanks lately.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Apparently the feedback to 10.0 (which really comes from of a more general discontent) was so bad that the big man had to come out and be all reassuring. Also apparently they're skipping update number 9.11 :weforgot:

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/17/victor-kislyi-on-10-0/ (don't bother reading, it's just spin. the interesting part is simply that it exists)

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really surprised to see that apology message.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They must really be hemorrhaging players.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now that I think about it, a personal apology is pretty much the only way to come back from the massive PR flub that was 10.0. An improved version of their game is released into open beta and a week later they announced a pay-to-win feature that also happened to be a lot of stupid micromanagement for very little performance gain. Considering how little fiddly micromanagement AW has in it and how well players responded to its absence, inscription bonuses was one of the worst things WG could have announced at that time.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Now that I think about it, a personal apology is pretty much the only way to come back from the massive PR flub that was 10.0. An improved version of their game is released into open beta and a week later they announced a pay-to-win feature that also happened to be a lot of stupid micromanagement for very little performance gain. Considering how little fiddly micromanagement AW has in it and how well players responded to its absence, inscription bonuses was one of the worst things WG could have announced at that time.
so now they are kicking themselves that their much heralded update's key features are now being presented as "just this" rather than the keynotes they were

i anticipate them rushing some other new feature to try to get us excited about before holidays, maybe a new gimmick premium, or the T-22 Sr. is made vastly easier to get (pleaase oh please)

I don't think any of this was on purpose, it's a mess.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

stephenfry posted:

I don't think any of this was on purpose, it's a mess.

I don't think Wargaming does anything on purpose. I'm pretty sure that the game only exists due to an "infinite monkeys on infinite typewriters" sort of situation.

Also:

quote:

We are truly thankful for your honest feedback and constructive criticism, and apologize for overpromising on 10.0 “Rubicon” and for changes to the schedule. Together, we will improve your gameplay experience.

It wasn't so much "overpromising" as it was "promising" poo poo nobody wanted in the first place.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 3, 2015

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Good match in the IS-3, 4.5k damage done, 2.5k damage blocked, 1100 health lost.

Enough for HT-15.

Shame I'm on HT-13, kill 2 tanks in the first 2 minutes of the game with your platoon. Hmm.

Edit: Next match, in the T1 heavy, killed 3 in 3 minutes by myself. People are lot more suicidal lower tier.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 3, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bleremiah posted:

Good match in the IS-3, 4.5k damage done, 2.5k damage blocked, 1100 health lost.

Enough for HT-15.

Shame I'm on HT-13, kill 2 tanks in the first 2 minutes of the game with your platoon. Hmm.

To do HT-13 just play the lowest tier heavy you can and then at the start of the round spam platoon invites to anyone on your team with decent stats. Disband the platoon once the round ends. You'll probably get it in under 10 battles.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

McGavin posted:

To do HT-13 just play the lowest tier heavy you can and then at the start of the round spam platoon invites to anyone on your team with decent stats. Disband the platoon once the round ends. You'll probably get it in under 10 battles.

This was 100% my plan, but the very next match was mines, so just went up to those two rocks with the cleft in the middle of the map and killed the 2 needed tanks and 1 bonus in the 3 minutes myself. Thanks Mines!

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Can someone explain to me why the 10.0 was so hated? I still don't get it, I've been away for a while.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cippalippus posted:

Can someone explain to me why the 10.0 was so hated? I still don't get it, I've been away for a while.

The emblem and inscriptions giving bonus crew skill is a large amount of tedious bullshit for a slight amount of pay-to-win. No idea why people had a problem with the gas cloud in Rampage mode, I would love for there to be a gas cloud that slowly kills people who are within a certain distance from where they spawned.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Poison gas clouds in Rampage mode, emblems and inscriptions giving bonuses to crew skills, rumors of bugs, not enough focus put on fixing basic problems with the game to warrant the "10.0" designation.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Emblems and inscriptions giving crew bonuses? What the gently caress. Need to check it out.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

No idea why people had a problem with the gas cloud in Rampage mode, I would love for there to be a gas cloud that slowly kills people who are within a certain distance from where they spawned.

I didn't get around to testing those but I think this is one of those "bad players ruin things for the actual human beings trying to enjoy the game" things again.

Putting the gas aside the patch was somewhere between a pointless nothing and a net negative but WG tried to sell it like some great improvement. loving stupid.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Poison gas cloud should be a thing in random battles imo

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

BadLlama posted:

Poison gas cloud should be a thing in random battles imo

It should activate if you haven't moved for 30 seconds and there are no enemies nearby. Also in your home whenever you hit the 'Battle' button.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
ATTENTION TANKERS: 10.0: RUBICON IS COMING.

new features:
- invisible engine changes
- marginally improved vision mechanics
- a sprinkling of new content
- tons of bullshit no one wants

known issues:
- game still unplayable without mods

ALEA IACTA EST.

JungleBoogie
May 24, 2003
JungleBoogie Get down with the boogie
So I finally uninstalled this poo poo game. Just wanted to let Atomizer or whoever is running Pansy know that they can kick Fooferton. Maybe I'll see some of you guys in armored warfare.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

known issues:
- game still unplayable without mods

ALEA IACTA EST.

also you know that Chieftain tank you really wanted that we finally finished the model for and said would be coming this patch? yeah we cut it, it's not coming at all~

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Actually:

- Chieftain will "fill another important role" (than replacing FV215b), it will come "when its time comes"

Calling it now, it'll be the Tier 10 reward in the next set of personal missions.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
So the big 10.0 patch is not much then

No loving way, they're cutting the chieftain? After all the hype?

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 3, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Infected posted:

Calling it now, it'll be the Tier 10 reward in the next set of personal missions.

Seems reasonably likely but at the same time it'd be a bit of a middle finger to the people that ground out a 215b because they wanted the Chieftain which is exactly the kind of thing I'd try to avoid right now if I was WG.

What other options are there? T10 shop premiums ain't happening, I don't see WG being this hush-hush about another British line and if it'd be a CW reward just take what I wrote above and triple it.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prav posted:

also you know that Chieftain tank you really wanted that we finally finished the model for and said would be coming this patch? yeah we cut it, it's not coming at all~

Pretty sure they were just set on adding the Centurion Action X, which is still coming in a micropatch. The Chieftain has been up in the air for as long as I can remember, any word about it coming in 10.0 were really vague and far ahead of the release date.

Still, it would be best for them to add it in too considering there is literally nothing else to do with it aside from adding another tier 10 medium somehow. If there was a medium line that started at the Firefly and ended with the Chieftain that would be great. Problem is they've put so many of the obvious candidates for that line (Challenger, Charioteer) in the recent TD line that they'd have to dig up some obscure FV models and fudge everything.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

WG announces tier 11 & 12 tanks, chieftan is one. Game still broken.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Pretty sure they were just set on adding the Centurion Action X, which is still coming in a micropatch. The Chieftain has been up in the air for as long as I can remember, any word about it coming in 10.0 were really vague and far ahead of the release date.

Well, there was an expectation. If it was a fair expectation based on what WG said, well, I dunno, WG are so poorly managed on information about upcoming features that they kinda dug their own graves here by saying both too much and too little at the same time. Certainly a lot of players wanted it to replace the 215b in 10.0 and both the model and the stats are done and it's not happening for ~reasons~ but WG won't say why - they hint it's something cool but they also said that 10.0 was cool so y'know.

Personally I'm a bit ambivalent about the Chieftain's in/exclusion, I have a suspicion that the hull armor will be pretty frustrating and I'd hate to see the 215b go.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I haven't played this game in a really long time. Is the Tiger I still a DPM machine gun?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Zettace posted:

I haven't played this game in a really long time. Is the Tiger I still a DPM machine gun?

Depending on how long ago you mean, the answer is either "Yes' or "Even more so"

Fakeedit: Also, RNG 42 is out. Not bad although the intro is a bit dumb. Lots of ammo rack explosions with associated turret hilarity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYgkXIBLYZk

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Hey tanks thread, I'm looking for another fun and/or good tank at tier 5-6 to grind into, I was thinking either the T-34-85 (I recall that one being called one of the best mediums at its tier when I got into the T-43 from the KV-13 and hadn't unlocked the top gun) or a fun zippy little scout like the ELC for shits'n'giggles, any other suggestions?

How is the grind into the T37 and is it a keeper or straight for the Bulldog?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The Cromwell is fun and good. The T37 excels at strongholds, might as well get that too. I found the A-43 very fun, but you don't see a lot of them in game for some reason.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The T-34-85 is my favorite tank. It's very fun once elited and the stock grind isn't too bad if you're willing to shoot gold. Plus you get to pick up the T-34 on the way, which you should definitely hang on to. The Cromwell and VK 30.01D are also very good tanks at tier 6.

The T37 is not a keeper imo (unless you really want a tier 6 light, in which case it's the best out of all the ones I've played) but the grind up and through it is nice and easy. e: Forgot about strongholds and tier 6 lights.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I found the A-43 very fun, but you don't see a lot of them in game for some reason.
Probably because that line doesn't lead anywhere most pubbies want to go.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I have around 30k free XP saved up from all these specials in the last month, so once I unlock it, I could probably free-xp everything up to the top gun and the tracks instantly.
If the T37 is only really good at strongholds, I'm not really sold on it, I'm getting a little apprehensive of really mobile tanks with paper armor since I'm not good enough to carry in them once poo poo starts going south, especially not in ones with scout matchmaking.

I recall liking the Cromwell when I went up that line on EU, but I'm kinda leaning towards the T-34-85 with decent mobility and that gun and a turret that looks like it can bounce the occasional thing when hull-down.
Looking up the gun-stats, I'm a little surprised, I thought the top gun on the 34-85 had higher dpm...hrrrrrm.

Better dpm and better application with better mobility on the Cromwell...gently caress me, I hate deciding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

You know what, wasn't the Japanese heavy line fun up to some point around tier V or VI? I just got blapped by an O-I that just :killdozer:ed through the entire map while being driven by a fairly decent player and shrugging off all kinds of poo poo. That seems fun despite being slow as rear end and huge.