Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

On the throw the barrels at the warehouse level, how do you throw the barrel to the middle post? There's a plank and everything pointing to it but I walk to the edge, jump up and throw and it misses every time. The second time I try to jump forward to give it some momentum, it works, but I end up falling in. How the hell are you supposed to get the barrel there without falling in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
If you stand on the beam that exists for no other reason than to help you throw it onto the one in the middle, you can easily throw it onto the one in the middle. Without jumping.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Night10194 posted:

The why not is because doing this makes you the rear end in a top hat and idiot.

It's retributive justice.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is there an optimal angle? Am I loving up the parabola by aiming up?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Cool. I'm an rear end in a top hat to assholes then, I'll readily admit.

so don't pretend what you're doing is cool and good then

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I know grudge-rakers aren't exactly the most popular thing around this place but:

I may have lucked into some pretty synergistic traits on this thing. What do you guys think? Worth upgrading?

Also, I"m loving the two-handed axe on the dwarf nowadays. One shot clan rats on hard with the sweep and :black101:

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

President Ark posted:

It excludes neither.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

President Ark posted:

the payday 2 thread is full of idiots who spend half their time complaining about pubbies kicking them at the end of a map and half their time bragging about kicking pubbies at the end of the map too, there's just something about the 4 person get-to-the-escape-vehicle format that turns people into colossal idiots

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Krinkle posted:

On the throw the barrels at the warehouse level, how do you throw the barrel to the middle post? There's a plank and everything pointing to it but I walk to the edge, jump up and throw and it misses every time. The second time I try to jump forward to give it some momentum, it works, but I end up falling in. How the hell are you supposed to get the barrel there without falling in?

Oh good it's not just me. I played that for the first time the other day, missed the middle post, lost the barrel and got given a bunch of poo poo by my party.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

It's retributive justice.

Jack Thompson was right. Shut down the games.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Elpato posted:

I know grudge-rakers aren't exactly the most popular thing around this place but:

I may have lucked into some pretty synergistic traits on this thing. What do you guys think? Worth upgrading?

Also, I"m loving the two-handed axe on the dwarf nowadays. One shot clan rats on hard with the sweep and :black101:

I would upgrade the poo poo out of that. Just because it is not the optimal way of taking out specials, doesn't mean it wouldn't be plenty fun playing this game as if it were Doom. Try to pair it with a melee weapon with Scavenger.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Al Borland posted:

why do that when i can guarantee 1 of each in orange of the types I want?

Because if you throw nothing but 2h swords and 2h maces in - you'll get one or the other and it'll be an orange which is better than the blue you're wielding now (2h maces and swords are both respectively awesome regardless of what you've got)

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Regarding the grudge-raker, I think the whole "ranged weapons are for special skaven, melee is for clanrats and hordes" meta is something that the community has imposed by way of groupthink more than an actual intended gameplay dynamic. I've actually had people bitch at me for bringing a (blue!!) grudge-raker on hard even though I'm packing a two-handed warhammer that smashes up stormvermin like nobody's business and wiping out half the skavenslave hordes five-per-shot. Likewise, the witchhunter's dual pistols strike me as an example of a ranged weapon that it's just stupid to "save" for special rats; it seems pretty obvious that the devs intended them to be emptied into onrushing crowds.

I mean, jesus; the reason I stopped playing MOBAs is because of the aggressive, insistent metagaming by the community. Do we have to let Vermintide get taken over by this straight-jacketing bullshit too?

SO yeah, upgrade the gently caress out of that grudgeraker and kill some hordes with it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Liberal_L33t posted:

Regarding the grudge-raker, I think the whole "ranged weapons are for special skaven, melee is for clanrats and hordes" meta is something that the community has imposed by way of groupthink more than an actual intended gameplay dynamic. I've actually had people bitch at me for bringing a (blue!!) grudge-raker on hard even though I'm packing a two-handed warhammer that smashes up stormvermin like nobody's business and wiping out half the skavenslave hordes five-per-shot. Likewise, the witchhunter's dual pistols strike me as an example of a ranged weapon that it's just stupid to "save" for special rats; it seems pretty obvious that the devs intended them to be emptied into onrushing crowds.

I mean, jesus; the reason I stopped playing MOBAs is because of the aggressive, insistent metagaming by the community. Do we have to let Vermintide get taken over by this straight-jacketing bullshit too?

SO yeah, upgrade the gently caress out of that grudgeraker and kill some hordes with it.

it probably doesn't help that on nightmare+ firing ranged weapons willy-nilly is dangerous because they have ranged friendly fire

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

willus posted:

the payday 2 thread is full of idiots who spend half their time complaining about pubbies kicking them at the end of a map and half their time bragging about kicking pubbies at the end of the map too

lol no it isnt

Elpato posted:

if someone yells at you for bringing this just start quoting the doom comic until he shuts up

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 4, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Elpato posted:

That weapon looks both fun and useful as gently caress, use it all the time.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

the grudgeraker with reload speed and spread reduction owns because it's still decent at long range as long as you're not trying to get sicknasty esports headshots and it does comparable damage to the handgun to multiple skaven at close range and has a much higher effective rate of fire because every reload is two shots instead of one

that one i wouldn't use over another orange with those two mods but 1) it's an orange and gonna own anyway, 2) health on kill + penetration on a shotgun seems like a pretty cool combination

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Liberal_L33t posted:

Ranged weapons for specials is a good idea. Two that are good for the purpose and one that's okayish is plenty though. A good horde killer is a good idea. Biggest problem is that if you can't rely on your team to have a good special killer at range you kind of need that ability, so it's the de facto best pick for a lot of players. Pistols are okay for specials and useful in a lot more situations, and they're good. But a panic button like that is crazy valuable.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Liberal_L33t posted:

The grudgeraker owns because you can actually still use it to one-shot stormvermin as long as you get them in the face.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Coolguye posted:

lol no it isnt

if someone yells at you for bringing this just start quoting the doom comic until he shuts up

i'll readily confess to not having read that thread in like six months and mostly just wanting to call that guy a colossal idiot

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Stringbean posted:

Because if you throw nothing but 2h swords and 2h maces in - you'll get one or the other and it'll be an orange which is better than the blue you're wielding now (2h maces and swords are both respectively awesome regardless of what you've got)

i'm weidilng an orange shield and rifle. I'm just trying to get all the oranges for kruber

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Use that orange grudgeraker, it looks awesome. Playing with goons the special vermin are usually the ones that die first anyway and if you wipe it's usually because people got careless running barrels on engines of war or something and the buttstabbers surrounded them.

Play what's fun and what you're good at, gently caress the metagame :kiddo:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
While the rifle is awesome if you find yourself constantly needing the range to snipe a Special that other guns don't give people should stop wandering the gently caress off.

Being able to snipe is nice, it isn't actually required. Stormvermin die just fine up close too.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Eh, I can't count the number of times I've been thankful for being able to quickly shoot a packmaster in the process of dragging an ally away, or a ratling gunner spinning up his barrels, or point-blank a stormvermin, or take out a gas-lobber without having to chase him halfway across the map, or get the drop on a ratsassin before he can leap. I would like to give the shotgun and repeater pistol more of a try, but the pistol is just way too good at what it does. It's not that I want to show off my MLG 360 noscope skillz, it's just that the pistol lets you take care of a bad situation without having to break formation.

EDIT: Also, holy poo poo is this a different game when you're not hosting. A lot of the crazy dance-y anti horde warhammer bullshit that I love just does not work unless I have 0 ping.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 4, 2015

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Spent several hours bashing our heads against nightmare Wheat & Chaff the other day, come back today and we finished first try on an ultra smooth and easy run. Then we proceeded to complete nightmare Well Watch + Supply and Demand first shot as well, no problem. I almost feel like Fatshark secretly made the game 90% easier over the past 24 hours that I haven't touched Vermintide.

Glad to have nightmare completion out of the way though. Now I can get back to doing things that are at least slightly more loot-profitable than NM Wheat&Chaff/Well Watch/White Rat, which are pretty loving dire in that regard.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Had a great run on hard horn last night, I'm getting much more able to avoid damage and between that and my heal on kill weapons I'll use maybe one healing item if that. Pubbie team insisted on doing ammo room strategy, fine whatever I'll run out and blow the horn since I don't have a tome or grim. Rather than cheese the beam I hunkered down in the corner at the bottom of the horn fighting whatever rats didn't rush the ammo room and survived the whole encounter to jump into the lift with the campers at the end, hell yeah. Then got a crash to desktop during wizards tower that we were crushing with the same group which kind of sucked :smith:

Managed to follow it up later with the total opposite, one of those where you just know it's going to go bad immediately. People running off getting nearly downed by a basic horde before even reaching the pig pens. The whole time I was thinking "we're going to wipe on the rat ogre". Sure enough it hits at the inn and they refuse to kite it outside and dwarf and witch hunter both die, elf and I alternately downed but managing to pull through. Get up to free them and run back to get the tome, there's like 3 unused healing items about ok we're back on track. Wrong! Horde coming as we're about to cross the bridge breakpoint into the tower, hunter and elf jump straight over while I'm trying to cover the dwarf lagging behind who inexplicably turns around and engages the horde on the roof in the open instead of retreating to the bridge, even lobbing fireballs to clear poo poo for him and him having a shield he's downed again and dies and I already have a tome so that one's lost. When elf asked "beam or ammo room" and snarky hunter said "beam obviously" I didn't even bother arguing. Could not finish that game quickly enough.

I should be doing nightmare but I'm just so attached to my fireball staff, I don't wanna switch back to beam :/

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Vargs posted:

Spent several hours bashing our heads against nightmare Wheat & Chaff the other day, come back today and we finished first try on an ultra smooth and easy run. Then we proceeded to complete nightmare Well Watch + Supply and Demand first shot as well, no problem. I almost feel like Fatshark secretly made the game 90% easier over the past 24 hours that I haven't touched Vermintide.

Glad to have nightmare completion out of the way though. Now I can get back to doing things that are at least slightly more loot-profitable than NM Wheat&Chaff/Well Watch/White Rat, which are pretty loving dire in that regard.

people play video games worse when they're angry/tired/frustrated

this is also why you shouldn't be a dick to people needlessly, because you're just shooting yourself in the foot

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Ayn Randi posted:

I should be doing nightmare but I'm just so attached to my fireball staff, I don't wanna switch back to beam :/
You can still make it work pretty well by being at an angle to the party members. Not shooting directly over kruber's shoulder when fighting hordes but instead slightly off to the side against a wall as you'll still have the firebolt piercing across rows of rats instead of going through a straight line.

Never give up the fireball love.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Ayn Randi posted:

Had a great run on hard horn last night, I'm getting much more able to avoid damage and between that and my heal on kill weapons I'll use maybe one healing item if that. Pubbie team insisted on doing ammo room strategy, fine whatever I'll run out and blow the horn since I don't have a tome or grim. Rather than cheese the beam I hunkered down in the corner at the bottom of the horn fighting whatever rats didn't rush the ammo room and survived the whole encounter to jump into the lift with the campers at the end, hell yeah. Then got a crash to desktop during wizards tower that we were crushing with the same group which kind of sucked :smith:

Managed to follow it up later with the total opposite, one of those where you just know it's going to go bad immediately. People running off getting nearly downed by a basic horde before even reaching the pig pens. The whole time I was thinking "we're going to wipe on the rat ogre". Sure enough it hits at the inn and they refuse to kite it outside and dwarf and witch hunter both die, elf and I alternately downed but managing to pull through. Get up to free them and run back to get the tome, there's like 3 unused healing items about ok we're back on track. Wrong! Horde coming as we're about to cross the bridge breakpoint into the tower, hunter and elf jump straight over while I'm trying to cover the dwarf lagging behind who inexplicably turns around and engages the horde on the roof in the open instead of retreating to the bridge, even lobbing fireballs to clear poo poo for him and him having a shield he's downed again and dies and I already have a tome so that one's lost. When elf asked "beam or ammo room" and snarky hunter said "beam obviously" I didn't even bother arguing. Could not finish that game quickly enough.

You don't HAVE to use beam staff on nightmare, just be careful with your shots.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Al Borland posted:

i'm weidilng an orange shield and rifle. I'm just trying to get all the oranges for kruber

Well, I did not know that. Carry on, sir.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Why will nobody think of the poor pubbie? :cry:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I associate pubbie with Elf. I do not want to think of the elf

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So, I just got a helmet. Except, it's literally a recolored version of the deluxe edition helmet (it's white instead of green) and for a class I don't play (the Elf). gently caress off, loot!

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-warhammer-end-times-vermintide/2300-10821/

A couple of the Giantbomb east guys do a quicklook. They struggle with some of the concepts and get some stuff wrong, but it's a cool intro if people haven't seen the game before.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
So I got an orange recurve crossbow for the WH with the eagle eye trait, the one that says it lets you zoom further. I tested two crossbows, one with the trait and one without, and it seemed like the zoom was the same so I figured the trait was broken like a goon was saying earlier. Turns out, the trait isn't broken, you just need to use the special attack button (the same one you use to fire the rapier pistol) while using the right click to zoom in and lo and behold, IT ZOOMS EVEN FURTHER! It's not a huge difference, but it's definitely noticeable and appreciated, so don't throw out those eagle eye trait weapons just yet!

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Hmm. I feel like there's a big gap in player attitudes between Hard and Nightmare. On Hard, people seem fairly laid back and moderately skilled. As soon as you knock it up to Nightmare, it's like flicking a switch: everyone is either textbook-perfectionist or bloody awful, and the perfectionists aren't interested in anything but exploiting, collecting their loot, and leaving without a word.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Pitdragon posted:

Turns out, the trait isn't broken, you just need to use the special attack button (the same one you use to fire the rapier pistol) while using the right click to zoom in and lo and behold, IT ZOOMS EVEN FURTHER!

This is bad and I hope it gets patched to just zoom in more with RMB.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Vargs posted:

Slamming our dick into Nightmare Wheat and Chaff so many times before made this first run of the night that ended up perfectly so much more special.

Now all I need is NM Waterfront and Ramparts :v:.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 4, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I really enjoy playing nightmare, play hard with pubbies and nightmare with friends. Nightmare seems to have just the right combination of punishing but doable. I need to git gud before I can think about cataclysm.

This is a great game. I've been using the repeater handgun on the soldier since I have a blue one, and I've quite liked it, it's a bit more forgiving when you've got some latency and miss a headshot than the arquebus is. I can't stand the repeater on the witch hunter though.

Still haven't gotten an orange. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

hooman posted:

Still haven't gotten an orange. :(

Stay strong, bro. Me neither. I'll probably fuse one with blues before I find one.

• Locked thread