Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

I should try that at lake monger perth, western australia and see if our crows are as smart.
I went there yesterday with my kid, and saw a couple of suprising things. The first was there was a single white goose (ie domesticated european emden type goose), just hanging around with all the native ducks and swans. The second was there was a crow hanging out with them too, though that was probably around because some dumb* people throw food to the ducks occasionally.

*Rule #1 when dealing with black swans, don't attract them by throwing food around, they get aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Rule #2 that famed scene between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis isn't really that hot

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Chrpno posted:

Well no technically he didn't, the Romans were the ones putting the nails in, but I think it's been proven that nails through the hands can't support the body anyway? Might want to get the facts straight next time, fella.

The Romans didn't always bother with the nails, and would sometimes just bind someone to the cross, so that they'd hang from their wrists. Having nails through your hands don't support your weight, so there's been a theory that Jesus got nails through the wrists instead. But then, you're dealing with a major artery, and the point of crucifixion is to die slowly of suffocation as a warning to others.

The reason why Jesus is portrayed with holes through his hands is that it's easier to depict him doing the "blessing" gesture with a hole through his hand (rather than his wrist) on various icons and medieval paintings. The Greek word that's used in the Gospels (χειρ) can mean "hand" or "wrist", so no help there.

Ultimately, neither the documents nor the other historical accounts help us with understanding whether Jesus was nailed through his wrists or his hands. I guess we just don't know.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rule #3 There are better movies and swans of all sorts should generally be avoided

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Rule #34: Jesus

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

gbut posted:

Rule #34: Jesus

Internet Rule #34: Sexy Jesus

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The Romans didn't always bother with the nails, and would sometimes just bind someone to the cross, so that they'd hang from their wrists. Having nails through your hands don't support your weight, so there's been a theory that Jesus got nails through the wrists instead. But then, you're dealing with a major artery, and the point of crucifixion is to die slowly of suffocation as a warning to others.

The reason why Jesus is portrayed with holes through his hands is that it's easier to depict him doing the "blessing" gesture with a hole through his hand (rather than his wrist) on various icons and medieval paintings. The Greek word that's used in the Gospels (χειρ) can mean "hand" or "wrist", so no help there.

Ultimately, neither the documents nor the other historical accounts help us with understanding whether Jesus was nailed through his wrists or his hands. I guess we just don't know.

Or, we could treat it like a work of fiction and metaphor and not care about the small details. :c00lbert:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Choco1980 posted:

Or, we could treat it like a work of fiction and metaphor and not care about the small details. :c00lbert:

I just cut myself with this post careful

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Choco1980 posted:

We're not talking about the Koran here.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

ArtIsResistance posted:

Well yeah, you know it's edgy because I added the :c00lbert: to it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ArtIsResistance posted:

dsyp

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

oldpainless posted:

We're not talking about the Koran Book of Mormon here.

Fixed.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Dick Trauma posted:

That looks like an awesome shoulder stretch. Guess I've been using the wrong equipment all these years.

It's a fad exercise that's actually dangerous. So many people who have tried crossfit have suffered bleeding and even death.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

:thurman:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So does the UK just have a stable of actors that do nothing but show up on fake game shows or something?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

So does the UK just have a stable of actors that do nothing but show up on fake game shows or something?

Basically, yes. The BBC has a bazillion panel shows that are just a set-up for clever, witty people to say clever, witty things. Most of the panelists are technically comedians or other entertainers, but they seem to spend most of their time skipping from one show to another rather than actually performing anywhere.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Some of them like Jimmy Carr do stand up and occasionally have shows, whereas your David Mitchells and Stephen Frys have been on pretty good long running sitcoms.

This has been all the knowledge I've gleaned from QI, thank

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So it's basically "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" but in a medium that will reach more than six people.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lemon
May 22, 2003

About 80% of the people on the shows are touring stand-up comedians. About 10% are comedic actors, like David Mitchell and Stephen Fry, as mentioned. The remaining 10% are sportscasters/presenters/personalities who get thrown onto the shows for no discernible reason.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
And every once in a while that gets you BRIAN BLESSED

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Elohssa Gib posted:

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory
Or Mel B.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Elohssa Gib posted:

I don't know what is funnier, BRIAN BLESSED or Stephen Fry's imitation of him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Scary Spice?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

I don't know what is funnier, BRIAN BLESSED or Stephen Fry's imitation of him.

Show, don't tell. I can't find it on my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBhPDxszukU

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

RFC2324 posted:

Scary Spice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g58CIZYeRFE

She doesnt seem happy to be there, and acts like it. The rest of the crew realizes this and has fun annoying her. Good times.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

kinmik posted:

Story time. One day I was waiting outside a convention center with a moat filled to the brim with tilapia and carp. I had bought some fries to eat and was casually throwing them into the water for the fish. A heron flew in and went to the edge of the water. I thought it was going after the fries so I threw some toward it, naturally the fish followed. A minute later, it nabbed a huge carp and spent the better part of five minutes trying to swallow it. My point is, that heron was smarter than that crow, because it also used a tool, but it was me. :downsrim:

#crossfit

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

:vince:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Solice Kirsk posted:

The best thing about it is that they've figured out that real game shows were bullshit. So instead of nonsense like @Midnight, where they inexplicably cling to the illusion of the game show format with short trivia responses, the BBC knows that all you really need to do is put a bunch of comedians in a room and let them talk to each other, and the "game" element is just the host throwing out a conversation topic.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

i tried to find some before i made that post, but couldn't

can someone help

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

syscall girl posted:

High-pitched BRIAN BLESSED is just not right :stare:.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

High-pitched BRIAN BLESSED is just not right :stare:.

Go back and do a full re-watch of Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (just the opening scene I mean)

"The King shall hear of this" is so iconic I don't even know.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

grumplestiltzkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g58CIZYeRFE

She doesnt seem happy to be there, and acts like it. The rest of the crew realizes this and has fun annoying her. Good times.

She was such a humorless bitch that someone edited her out of the show completely and put it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4mUCRAPLas

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Brian Blessed seems like a Shakespearean Robin Williams. A pity they never worked together.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, the three of them at the Globe would have been something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

syscall girl posted:

But Stephen Fry invented adult humour?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0cbjosTNCY

• Locked thread