Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

So far 50% of counted votes in Kentucky think that Kansas is a great place to be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Well good news for them!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Well, Kynect was good while it lasted.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't really follow midwest politics since Walker depressed the hell out of me but other than Minnesota is that entire region just trying to become a gutted out wasteland or are there any places not trying to conservative themselves to death?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Does Kentucky have a recall option? Bevin did say he had no plans to kill the medicaid expansion, if people were dumb enough to fall for that but would be pissed off enough about him doing it, Kentucky could still be saved before too much damage is done.

The real pain is Kentucky isn't a very charter-y school state, this is going to change that dramatically.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I look forward to the perpetual coal mine fire to be adopted as the Kentucky state emblem.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Has a recall ever benefited a Democrat? It seems they inherently are biased towards Republicans since it's an even weirder time to have an election. The ones off the top of my head are California, Colorado with the gun nuts, and Walker successful beating one.

Is this the DNC's fault or is it just more of the midwest deciding they didn't conservative hard enough and they REALLY have to cut everything to gain the Confidence Fairy's blessing.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 4, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

pathetic little tramp posted:

Does Kentucky have a recall option? Bevin did say he had no plans to kill the medicaid expansion, if people were dumb enough to fall for that but would be pissed off enough about him doing it, Kentucky could still be saved before too much damage is done.

Nope. Though based on the Wisconsin precedent I doubt it would matter anyway.

Perhaps Bevin can be held to one term like Fletcher was.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
KY will descend into Basketball Fascism.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was talking to a 22 y/o bartender the other day who is otherwise a pretty cool guy, but he absolutely HATES Hillary. He thinks the email situation is a completely clusterfuck, and this coming from someone who didn't think the Lewinsky scandal was worth impeachment.

I fear a lot more voters than we admit feel this way.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Radish posted:

I don't really follow midwest politics since Walker depressed the hell out of me but other than Minnesota is that entire region just trying to become a gutted out wasteland or are there any places not trying to conservative themselves to death?

Iowa isn't completely hosed yet because no one can effectively gerrymander here, but it's headed that way with Joni Earnst taking Harkin's seat. Current governor is a 90s Republican so he's lovely but, comparatively, in an Iowa nice kind of way.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

PupsOfWar posted:

Nope. Though based on the Wisconsin precedent I doubt it would matter anyway.

Perhaps Bevin can be held to one term like Fletcher was.

Kentucky isn't going to survive 4 years of tea party. I cannot wait until the senior citizens see they have to pee into a cup so Benevolent Leader Bevin can be sure they are not using the state's Glorious Funds for the drugs.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Radish posted:

Has a recall ever benefited a Democrat? It seems they inherently are biased towards Republicans since it's an even weirder time to have an election. The ones off the top of my head are California, Colorado with the gun nuts, and Walker successful beating one.

For whatever reason, Democrats need to be coaxed to vote (and have jobs that force them to not allow them to vote day of) and show up en masse on Presidential years and that's it. Republican votes do not go up during an off year, Democratic votes just go down.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Sorry, Kynect users. That sucks.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

USPOL: Farkin' Kentucky Fried

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Josh Lyman posted:

I was talking to a 22 y/o bartender the other day who is otherwise a pretty cool guy, but he absolutely HATES Hillary. He thinks the email situation is a completely clusterfuck, and this coming from someone who didn't think the Lewinsky scandal was worth impeachment.

I fear a lot more voters than we admit feel this way.

Eh, keep in mind that its the only news thus far. Hillary has had exactly one debate, and that did wonders for her slumping numbers. Once she goes head-to-head with whatever shambling horror the GOP spits out she'll do much better among the low-info demo.

It will be a factor, no doubt, but I don't think it'll be a game-changing one.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Kentucky isn't going to survive 4 years of tea party. I cannot wait until the senior citizens see they have to pee into a cup so Benevolent Leader Bevin can be sure they are not using the state's Glorious Funds for the drugs.

As if they'll change their votes or won't die and be replaced by a cohort of people who never had to do that and keep voting the same way.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

"drat Obamacare!" -Probable conclusion

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Definite conclusion.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

As if they'll change their votes or won't die and be replaced by a cohort of people who never had to do that and keep voting the same way.

It has to change sometime, I hope...

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I hope HERO passes in Houston at least so I can spam Greg Abbot's twitter account with Hard Gay YouTube clips.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fried Chicken posted:

Had one guy refuse the card as a republican who then pointed to the FedEx truck and started talking about hidden symbols in it and then other ones like the arrow in Amazon being a->z

Yeah, he's right. If anyone doesn't know this one, the lower part of the E and the left side of the X form an arrow.

Most people don't notice it at first, but you can't unsee it once you know.

Never thought about the Amazon a-> thing.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Sorry about your state Kentucky, I suppose death is certain

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn't Kynect incredibly popular because no one realizes it's part of Obamacare?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
AP just called it for Bevin.

Coakley / Conway 2024?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Notable county results:

Bevin heavily leading in the Cincinnati suburbs of Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties. Conway had previously polled ahead there, creating some notion that

Conway wins Elliott County (which has never voted Republican since its charter in 1869) by 17%

Conway wins Rowan County (Kim Davis's home) by 3%

Bevin leading in the main Democratic bulwark counties of western Kentucky (Daviess, Hancock, Muhlenberg, Logan, all of which have heavily Democratic county and regional governments). This suggests a break between the local and statewide democratic apparatus, much like the one that already existed between the locals and the national democratic party.

Grimes with a decent-but-not-insurmountable lead for Secretary of State.

Republicans leading heavily in Treasurer, Ag Commissioner (the latter of which they already held).

Attorney General and Auditor neck-and-neck.

Auditor is the race to watch down-ballot, since the incumbent, Adam Edelen, has been predicted as Rand Paul's opponent in 2016. If Edelen can't manage reelection, that probably changes.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 4, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

haveblue posted:

Isn't Kynect incredibly popular because no one realizes it's part of Obamacare?

Doesn't matter. Bevin has said he will dismantle it and start drug testing medicare recipients. The latter should be impossible to achieve, but not without a couple court challenges.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

If Democrats lose down-ballot, we can probably classify this as a general collapse of the state party.

If they hold, we can probably blame Conway for being a genuinely bad campaigner.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
The Dems at least control the Kentucky house of representatives until the idiots of my state go all in on stupidity next year.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PupsOfWar posted:

If Democrats lose down-ballot, we can probably classify this as a general collapse of the state party.

If they hold, we can probably blame Conway for being a genuinely bad campaigner.

Conway really is milquetoast, the candidate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

PupsOfWar posted:

The way things are going, it's possible that the only Democrat who wins tonight will be... Allison Lundergan Grimes.

Swiller of Beer posted:

The Dems at least control the Kentucky house of representatives until the idiots of my state go all in on stupidity next year.

Kentucky does legislative elections on even years, statewide elections on odd years, so there will be no change in the House tonight.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Swiller of Beer posted:

Senate's R, though. Again, how strong is the Governor in Kentucky? Because here in New York, a split legislature (hell, even a fully hostile legislature, I think) could and is often streamrolled by a Governor with any attitude.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Well this is basically a redux of Arkansas 2014, except instead of replacing a popular democratic governor with a lukewarm 90s Republican, we're replacing ours with a guy who might actually be insane

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Senate's R, though. Again, how strong is the Governor in Kentucky? Because here in New York, a split legislature (hell, even a fully hostile legislature, I think) could and is often streamrolled by a Governor with any attitude.

Pretty strong. Beshear has gotten a lot done via executive order, due to legislative deadlock.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Sorry about Kentucky everybody.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Any news on the virginia state senate races?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PupsOfWar posted:

Well this is basically a redux of Arkansas 2014, except instead of replacing a popular democratic governor with a lukewarm 90s Republican, we're replacing ours with a guy who might actually be insane

Pretty strong. Beshear has gotten a lot done via executive order, due to legislative deadlock.

It's been real, Kentucky. I wonder if NY has any way in which we can pilfer jobs and people by having working infrastructure.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Schnorkles posted:

Any news on the virginia state senate races?

Tons up in the air at the moment.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Joementum posted:

The way things are going, it's possible that the only Democrat who wins tonight will be... Allison Lundergan Grimes.

Democrat Prime?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

"So this Brownback/LePage-type tea party government has been pretty bad for Kansas and Maine."

"We're already a lot poorer and more hosed than those states."

"Well, maybe if we try the same thing, we'll get hosed so hard that we swing back around and actually have it good?"

"Sounds good, yeah."

- outtakes from a conversation a majority of my neighbors must have had at some point in the past four months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, when do I get to officially add KY to the list of states that have committed seppuku on the Alter of Conservatism since 2008 along with Wisconsin and North Carolina?

• Locked thread