Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Ephphatha posted:

Yep. I bought a Player series (in eye-searing green) and I'm pretty happy with it. Only real negatives I have to say are the tilt spring is incredibly stiff so it's hard to get it to really lean back at all and the plastic covers where the back attaches to the base don't really line up that well, but you don't notice that while sitting in it. The chair feels solid as gently caress since the back and base use steel frames, then there's a good layer of padding over the top to make it pretty comfortable. If you've got big thighs though the seats are pretty narrow and you might find the wings cut into your legs a bit.

Kinda sounds like it's just DXracing B stock, which is nice, I need to go and test sit in one then. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
I could use a recommendation, as my $30 Target chair isn't cutting it anymore.

I work from home on my PC and play games in the off-hours, so I'm sitting there a LOT. I like chairs that make me sit up straight, or at a very slight recline. I'm somewhat tall at 6'2, and I want to spend at most about $300.

Any ideas? As I skim through the thread I keep seeing $1000 recommendations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

I could use a recommendation, as my $30 Target chair isn't cutting it anymore.

I work from home on my PC and play games in the off-hours, so I'm sitting there a LOT. I like chairs that make me sit up straight, or at a very slight recline. I'm somewhat tall at 6'2, and I want to spend at most about $300.

Any ideas? As I skim through the thread I keep seeing $1000 recommendations.

At the cheap end of things the Ikea Markus is generally considered a good choice. But you should really sit in something before buying.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
So it seems that the only option for someone overweight is the Leap Plus? Or are there other options?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Shinino Kage posted:

So it seems that the only option for someone overweight is the Leap Plus? Or are there other options?

Someone asked the same question a few months back and unless something has changed since then the Leap Plus or Criterion Plus is still the only choice.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So. I got a nice looking chair from Staples maybe 6 or so months ago. For the longest now it often slowly goes down..and down...and down and I have to stand up and put it up again, sometimes it holds, sometimes it doesn't. Is this something that's easy to fix? I just realized its been less than a year and I can probably just return it but in the meantime, any suggestions?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

codo27 posted:

So. I got a nice looking chair from Staples maybe 6 or so months ago. For the longest now it often slowly goes down..and down...and down and I have to stand up and put it up again, sometimes it holds, sometimes it doesn't. Is this something that's easy to fix? I just realized its been less than a year and I can probably just return it but in the meantime, any suggestions?

You would need to install a better quality gas spring, and depending on the construction of the chair that may or may not be possible. I have no idea where you would get a really good one and assuming you can get the old one out you would need to measure it and find a better one of the same size.

I'd say to return the chair and get something better.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

codo27 posted:

Easy yes. Worth it? Probably be better to put it towards a better chair.

http://www.chairpartsonline.com/gas-lift-cylinders/

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey 'thread-where-money-goes-to-die',

Is there an ergonomic/comfortable seating option, where my wireless keyboard/mouse can be used on their chair and not on the desk. I currently have a chair that allows me to use the mouse on the arm rest (not flat, but I don't game so I don't care) while the keyboard is sitting in my lap. I like this arrangement because it allows me to be a bit farther away from my monitor than if I were to use my keyboard/mouse on the desk like a normal person. However, I am certain that this is not ergonomic.

Thanks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

theHUNGERian posted:

Is there an ergonomic/comfortable seating option, where my wireless keyboard/mouse can be used on their chair and not on the desk. I currently have a chair that allows me to use the mouse on the arm rest (not flat, but I don't game so I don't care) while the keyboard is sitting in my lap. I like this arrangement because it allows me to be a bit farther away from my monitor than if I were to use my keyboard/mouse on the desk like a normal person. However, I am certain that this is not ergonomic.

Thanks.

I'm not sure about a chair for this but a lot of people will install a keyboard/mouse drawer that pulls out from the desk which is lower than on the desk and projects out further. It will depend on your desk if you can mount one, but there are a lot of self install kits available like:
http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Office-Underdesk-Keyboard-9140303/dp/B0002LD0ZY/

If that looks useable there's a lot of different kinds available, just search for keyboard drawer or keyboard shelf. It may not be what you're looking for, and someone may have a better option, all I can think of is laptop stands which would probably work but they sit on the floor themselves and don't attach to the chair like:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Laptop-Computer-Adjustable-Casters/dp/B00RD0LLZS/

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

Thanks.

I wonder if something like a VESA arm for the monitor might be a better idea, unless the monitor is already against a wall or something it would let you adjust the distance of the monitor itself much more freely.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Rexxed posted:

I'm not sure about a chair for this but a lot of people will install a keyboard/mouse drawer that pulls out from the desk which is lower than on the desk and projects out further. It will depend on your desk if you can mount one, but there are a lot of self install kits available like:
http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Office-Underdesk-Keyboard-9140303/dp/B0002LD0ZY/

If that looks useable there's a lot of different kinds available, just search for keyboard drawer or keyboard shelf. It may not be what you're looking for, and someone may have a better option, all I can think of is laptop stands which would probably work but they sit on the floor themselves and don't attach to the chair like:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Laptop-Computer-Adjustable-Casters/dp/B00RD0LLZS/

I think this + a decent computer chair would indeed solve my issue.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I wonder if something like a VESA arm for the monitor might be a better idea, unless the monitor is already against a wall or something it would let you adjust the distance of the monitor itself much more freely.

As you guessed, my monitor is standing against a wall, so no-go.

EDIT: Has this thread discussed the pros/cons of kneeling chairs and exercise balls?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 31, 2015

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

Thanks.

IIRC DXracer used to have have these weird arm things for their chairs for a keyboard and a mouse, but I can't find it on their website anymore :(

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

I think this + a decent computer chair would indeed solve my issue.

As you guessed, my monitor is standing against a wall, so no-go.

EDIT: Has this thread discussed the pros/cons of kneeling chairs and exercise balls?

I was going to suggest some kind of lap platform for you, but I don't know of one specifically. I use my mouse + Logitech G13 gamepad on my keyboard drawer, and the keyboard, which is normally stowed on a platform right below the drawer, gets pulled onto my lap when I'm gaming. It works for me.

As far as the other things are concerned, someone commented that an exercise ball isn't worth the hassle, because you have to concentrate on balancing while you're trying to also concentrate on working/whatever. I could totally see myself falling off the ball onto my rear end.

I had a kneeling chair about 10 years ago, and it "works" kinda, except I found that it quickly became uncomfortable because it put a lot of weight on my shins. You can adjust it, but if you go to the other extreme you end up just sitting on it like a stool instead of using it for its intended purpose as a kneeling chair. I suppose there might be a "perfect" position where it balances your weight exactly where it should, but I was never able to find that point.

I bought a used Steelcase Leap, which arrived yesterday and will be unboxed today, so I'll see how that goes.

Edit: Here's the chair!

I bought it specifically because of the headrest; I sit at a computer that not only has a 2x2 monitor configuration so I have to lean back & look up to see the top monitors, but my TV is also mounted high and off to the side. I'm aware that you don't want to rely on a headrest or high-back chair to support the head in a normal office configuration due to weakening the neck muscles, but as I wrote I've got a slightly different use case. The headrest has a cushion that can flip over the back when you don't need it, and actually, this appears to be a custom chair as that headrest is the one on the Leap Worklounge (which retails for $3k :eyepop:) instead of the smaller, simpler one you more commonly see in images of the Leap configured this way; even then, used Leaps with a headrest are hard to find, so I'm glad I snapped up this one. The "normal" headrest, by the way, attaches to the top of the chair back, and the Worklounge one attaches to the seat back support as you can see in one of those images above.

The Steelcase label underneath the chair says "special" on it which I'm assuming indicates that this is indeed a custom order, but as I don't know much else about it I'm going to contact Steelcase support with an image of the label to see if there's anything special they can tell me about it. It was manufactured just over 3 years ago, and looks like new; there's some slight scuffing if you look for it, but overall it's in fantastic condition and I'm really happy with it. It was advertised as and appears to be a Leap V2, but I'm not 100% sure about that as I don't know if there are any solid indicators of which version this is; honestly I don't care either way though, I've been sitting in it for a couple hours now and am really loving it!

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 1, 2015

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

organburner posted:

IIRC DXracer used to have have these weird arm things for their chairs for a keyboard and a mouse, but I can't find it on their website anymore :(

Thanks for the idea, but this is going the wrong way. I see two options. 1. Get a drawer for keyboard/mouse and decent computer chair (Aeron, or whatever). 2. Get a chair of this style (arm chair? lounge chair? something comfortable as gently caress) and keep my keyboard in my lap and the mouse on the arm rest. But going with a mediocre (not comfortable) computer chair + arm thing is not an option.

... and upon further reading, kneeling chair and balance balls are out.

EDIT: A standing desk is an option too. Any recommendations?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 1, 2015

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

Thanks for the idea, but this is going the wrong way. I see two options. 1. Get a drawer for keyboard/mouse and decent computer chair (Aeron, or whatever). 2. Get a chair of this style (arm chair? lounge chair? something comfortable as gently caress) and keep my keyboard in my lap and the mouse on the arm rest. But going with a mediocre (not comfortable) computer chair + arm thing is not an option.

... and upon further reading, kneeling chair and balance balls are out.

EDIT: A standing desk is an option too. Any recommendations?

The thing with the DXracers add-on was that you could use them on other office chairs as well, at least the mouse one iirc.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
So I've got a Steelcase Gesture at work and in pretty happy with it except that the armrests are rather poor. Except when I keep them as far from my body as possible it feels like my arms are going to slide off. On the other hand I'm mostly happy with the rest of the chair and being able to lower the arms as much as I can would be a plus at home as well.

I get a discount on Steelcase chairs so it's really down to whether I want a Leap or a Gesture for when I replace my cheap chair next year when I have a bit of breathing room. The thread doesn't seem to be a very big fan of the Gesture though, why is that and what makes it so much worse than the Leap?

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I went to the Herman Miller showroom today and sat in an Embody chair. Ugh.. now I have to buy one. The bi-annual sale can't come soon enough.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Comatoast posted:

I went to the Herman Miller showroom today and sat in an Embody chair. Ugh.. now I have to buy one. The bi-annual sale can't come soon enough.

Just buy a used one! Kind of wished I did. :(

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Desuwa posted:

So I've got a Steelcase Gesture at work and in pretty happy with it except that the armrests are rather poor. Except when I keep them as far from my body as possible it feels like my arms are going to slide off. On the other hand I'm mostly happy with the rest of the chair and being able to lower the arms as much as I can would be a plus at home as well.

I get a discount on Steelcase chairs so it's really down to whether I want a Leap or a Gesture for when I replace my cheap chair next year when I have a bit of breathing room. The thread doesn't seem to be a very big fan of the Gesture though, why is that and what makes it so much worse than the Leap?

There is nothing wrong with the Gesture. The Leap just tends to be more available used. My biggest problem with my Leap is that I wish the arm rests had thicker cushioning, it very springy but pretty thin and if I rest my elbows on them for extended periods they start to get sore.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Desuwa posted:

From what I've seen, pretty much what Radish said. The Gesture just seems to be a newer and less-common chair.

For what it's worth, I'm happy with my new [used] Leap, although it's not an ordinary model. I learned from Steelcase that this was originally a pretty normal Leap V2, but at some point someone modified it by adding the headrest & mechanism from a Worklounge. Considering what I saved by buying a gently-used chair I'm very happy with it to say the least.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How are Dauphin chairs? I want to get my wife set up with a better desk and chair, and there is a Dauphin of an unspecified model for sale on craigslist for $95. It looks like a mid-back basis, syncro, or contour, but I can't find reviews anywhere.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Comatoast posted:

I did some training at Redhat and they put us in a room with nothing but embody chairs, I bought one a few weeks later during the 15% off sale, love this chair :)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm glad that we are discussing the Embody because I have a question about them! I've had my Embody for years and it's taken a lot of abuse.

It has a small handful of issues that have accumulated over time, but I got it used. Does the warranty still apply if I wasn't the original purchaser?

Never mind, it looks like the warranty only applies to the original purchaser? Not cool...

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 11, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Taima posted:

I'm glad that we are discussing the Embody because I have a question about them! I've had my Embody for years and it's taken a lot of abuse.

It has a small handful of issues that have accumulated over time, but I got it used. Does the warranty still apply if I wasn't the original purchaser?

Never mind, it looks like the warranty only applies to the original purchaser? Not cool...

I was under the impression that the warranty is still valid even if you're not the OP, and they only care to see the tag underneath the chair to determine the S/N. Give it a shot.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Well gently caress, made the mistake of trying out an embody.

I guess my mind is made up. At least I get a discount on them, though I don't know if it stacks with the sale. I think the sale is in a week or two?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Desuwa posted:

Well gently caress, made the mistake of trying out an embody.

I guess my mind is made up. At least I get a discount on them, though I don't know if it stacks with the sale. I think the sale is in a week or two?

Usually at the end of November for about 2-3 weeks.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Anyone re-pad chairs before? It's an office depot special, but it's steel frame, mesh back and these nice 4" rollers (like longboard wheels - great on my carpet). It's just after 6 years the padding on the seat is flat and the armrests have dryrotted and split.

I've got a decent grasp of the mechanics of doing it - it's similar to restoring any other furnature. It's the materials that I'm not sure of - what's a good foam to sit on for 8 hours a day, and what could I use to repair armrests?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I too pulled the trigger on an Embody, and I just received it. Is there anything special I have to do to adjust the height of the chair? Just pushing the 'joystick' up down doesn't do poo poo. Is there a safety pin that prevents it from accidentally adjusting during shipping, which I would have to remove before being able to adjust the height? All other adjustments work.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

theHUNGERian posted:

I too pulled the trigger on an Embody, and I just received it. Is there anything special I have to do to adjust the height of the chair? Just pushing the 'joystick' up down doesn't do poo poo. Is there a safety pin that prevents it from accidentally adjusting during shipping, which I would have to remove before being able to adjust the height? All other adjustments work.

You have to push the joystick up/down with a bit of pressure to get it to move. Obviously have to sit on it for it to go down.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Etrips posted:

You have to push the joystick up/down with a bit of pressure to get it to move. Obviously have to sit on it for it to go down.

Ahhhhhhh. I only pushed it until I felt a little bit of feedback, and apparently I have to push until I feel a lot of feedback. Thanks.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
The Steelcase 10% off sale + Chase Freedom giving an extra 10% cash back on Amazon purchases is probably about the best anyone can expect to do on a new Leap, right? Appears I'd be looking at $745 shipped, all said and done.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fancy_Lad posted:

The Steelcase 10% off sale + Chase Freedom giving an extra 10% cash back on Amazon purchases is probably about the best anyone can expect to do on a new Leap, right? Appears I'd be looking at $745 shipped, all said and done.

You can get gently-used ones from eBay or Craig's for less than half that.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
Roughly 8 months of checking once a week or more has proven this not to be the case around my area... :(

Call me crazy, but I really don't want a used chair that I can't see in person first.

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 29, 2015

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I took the "buy used" advice a couple years ago for my small business and got 3 used v1 leap chairs. Every one of them has mechanical issues (arms not staying up, pistons need replacement, loose attachment of the back supports) and not a single one of them has lightly used fabric. More like work in and filled with dust mites.

Im going to throw down for a new embody. My health and my sanity is not worth less than one mortgage payment.

Right now Im having a hard time deciding if I want arms on the new chair. The idea has entered the noggin that arms on chairs make poor wrist and back posture easier.

edit: This was a phone post. It's awful.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 30, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Comatoast posted:

Right now Im having a hard time deciding if I want arms on the new chair. The idea has entered the noggin that arms on chairs make poor wrist and back posture easier.

It depends on how you use your chair. If using for prolonged periods of time, it can actually help save your posture as you are lightening your shoulder load by 10-20lbs (your arms) since the longer you hold up your arms with nothing to support, the more fatigued you will become and eventually losing that proper posture. If you use your chair for short periods of time, go hog wild.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think you can write off used chairs on the basis that you got some destroyed ones.

With regards to the arm rests - they are fine, you just need to adjust them properly. Like every other part of the chair. They should be the same height as the desk and be adjustable enough to get out of the way when you want to bring the chair under the desk.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Etrips posted:

it can actually help save your posture as you are lightening your shoulder load by 10-20lbs (your arms)

The problem I have is keyboard placement. Where do you put the keyboard and mouse so that the chairs arms aren't causing ergonomic problems?

On all off my desks when I put the keyboard and mouse on the desk I have to lift my arms and shoulders up to reach them. I would either need a keyboard tray to bring the keyboard and mouse down or Id need a taller chair to bring my shoulders and wrists down. They both have problems though: the keyboard tray knocks up against the arms of the chair and the raise the chair solution lifts my feet off the ground.

edit: wow. Thanks poster above me. You answered my post while I was typing it.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 29, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fancy_Lad posted:

Roughly 8 months of checking once a week or more has proven this not to be the case around my area... :(

Call me crazy, but I really don't want a used chair that I can't see in person first.

Comatoast posted:

I took the "buy used" advice a couple years ago for my small business and got 3 used v1 leap chairs. Every one of them has mechanical issues (arms not staying up, pistons need replacement, loose attachment of the back supports) and not a single one of them has lightly used fabric. More like work in and filled with dust mites.

Im going to throw down for a new embody. My health and my sanity is not worth less than one mortgage payment.

I ordered mine from eBay; it was shipped halfway across the country. I paid a decent amount for it, but still less than what a new Leap would've cost, and as I've mentioned I've got a unique hybrid mutant one that has the nice headrest from the Worklounge attached. It looked nice in the photos, and arrived exactly as it appeared (i.e. like-new) so as long as you can get actual photos from the seller you should be fine. There are plenty of listings on eBay and some on Amazon (e.g. by "Madison Seating") for <$500 for good+ condition examples.

For what it's worth I was considering an Aeron until I read some people don't like mesh chairs, and I don't know of a Herman Miller showroom anywhere close. On top of that, I learned about Steelcase and the Leap from you guys, and I'm very happy I went this route.

Comatoast posted:

The problem I have is keyboard placement. Where do you put the keyboard and mouse so that the chairs arms aren't causing ergonomic problems?

On all off my desks when I put the keyboard and mouse on the desk I have to lift my arms and shoulders up to reach them. I would either need a keyboard tray to bring the keyboard and mouse down or Id need a taller chair to bring my shoulders and wrists down. They both have problems though: the keyboard tray knocks up against the arms of the chair and the raise the chair solution lifts my feet off the ground.

edit: wow. Thanks poster above me. You answered my post while I was typing it.

These high-end chairs (e.g. Herman Miller, Steelcase, etc.) will be adjustable enough to accomodate an ergonomic seating position, which is partially what justifies their high cost. My Leap can be adjusted by seat height & depth, armrest height/angle/depth, and backrest angle/tension plus lumbar; the seat & armrest adjustments ensure I can position myself to sit properly at any desk height. You probably know this already, but you want to be seated so that your eyes look at or just above the top of the monitor, and the mouse/keyboard should be at a height that allows your forearms to be parallel to the ground. You shouldn't have to reach or strain for any controls. The nice thing about the armrest depth adjustment is that it allows you to position it as far back as necessary to accommodate a keyboard drawer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Going to take a look at two Aerons that someone is selling on CL for $250 each - ad says I can choose from "size B and C" - what does this mean? Also, what am I looking for to be sure the chair is in good condition? Price seems a bit too good to be true, honestly.