Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I early voted, so no worrying about voting today.

An Angry Bug posted:

Prop 7 - Dedicates certain taxes and fees to fund non-toll roads. On the one hand this would keep that revenue from being stolen for other things, but on the other hand the "non-toll" part sounds like an attempt to reduce funding to toll roads to make the tolls seem more necessary and funnel more profits to private owners. Not sure on this one.
For Prop 7, I agree with zoux:

zoux posted:

The problem is that it's another dedicated fund. Something insane like 80% or more of the state budget is statutorially allocated before the Legislature ever steps foot in Austin. So dedicating another revenue source to another fund limits the ability of budget writers to respond to needs that crop up. If there's another hurricane or other huge black swan cost, well we just took another $2.5 billion out of available funds because it's required to go to Fund 6. So, while TXDoT desperately needs the money, the proper way to do it would be to put a line item in the budget rather than force future legislatures to do it.

I'm voting for it because I believe the immediate need outweighs the potential and philosophical objections, as well as that, for now, it's good to protect revenue streams to critical services from insane antigovernment legislators.
Waiting for the Texas Government to magically unfuck itself and do thing the "right" way is an exercise in futility, so I voted Yes on Prop 7 because we need money for roads to get them fixed sooner rather than later. And since Prop 7 says that it can't be used for toll roads, I don't have to worry about that money used on whatever asinine toll project some idiot is trying to make happen, instead it'll be used on actual roads.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Definitely voting no then. It's not like a dedicated fund would prevent misappropriation in this state anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

An Angry Bug posted:

Definitely voting no then. It's not like a dedicated fund would prevent misappropriation in this state anyway.

I think you have conservative derangement syndrome.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

An Angry Bug posted:

It's gonna be at least 2 decades (or more) before we can do things the "right" way, and we need our roads fixed yesterday. Raising taxes is a nonstarter (because Texas) and toll roads are absolutely terrible, so this is the best option. Have an editorial:

quote:

It won’t solve all of our road-funding problems immediately, but voters still should say yes to a constitutional change that at least gets investments in roads back on course. Early voting begins Monday. If approved, 35 percent of all motor vehicle sales and rental taxes in excess of $5 billion, along with $2.5 billion a year from state general tax revenue in excess of $28 billion, would go to road construction and maintenance.

That projects to about $3 billion a year in short order, with more coming. The sales tax provision would take effect in September 2017, with the motor vehicles tax part in September 2019. The motor vehicles money would sunset in 2030, with the general sales tax portion going away in 2033, unless the Legislature voted to extend them 10 years. Voters last year approved a constitutional change that took energy production taxes that otherwise would have gone to the state’s rainy day fund to help replenish the depleted state highway fund. Proposition 7 would further that commitment to better fund roads.

Other approaches haven’t gotten the job done. The gasoline tax, our largest revenue source for highway construction and road maintenance, has remained unchanged for more than two decades. Adjusted for inflation, the 20-cent-per-gallon tax, approved in 1991, is worth a mere 9.2 cents per gallon today. Texas has turned to bonds and tolled road to fund projects, but those approaches have run their course, too. For example, payments on debt for transportation now are greater than expenditures for new construction.

Proposition 7 provides safeguards in case of slower economic times. With two-thirds votes in the House and Senate, lawmakers could reduce the dispersal up to 50 percent for the next budget cycle to address other critical needs.The measure also would add financial certainty for planning expensive road projects, which require years of lead time. And while reducing the need for tolled roads, it also would prohibit its dedicated funds from going to such roads.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 3, 2015

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Sorry, meant yes. Tired and bored at work.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I don't much care for prop 1 because the shortfall in school funds the raised exemption will cause is supposedly to be allocated from the general fund by the legislature. They don't have the best of record when it comes to properly funding schools.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't much care for prop 1 because the shortfall in school funds the raised exemption will cause is supposedly to be allocated from the general fund by the legislature. They don't have the best of record when it comes to properly funding schools.

Already budgeted.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I know. I meant in the future. It is a lot more difficult to get the legislature to adjust school funding upward to meet changing needs than it is for a local ISD to do it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Districts are held harmless through additional appropriations from the PSF I believe. They budgeted this tax cut out of the surplus and while it would be great if that were delivered to schools, if the measure fails it's not like there's a mechanism to put that back in schools. I mean, sure vote against it as a protest against unsustainable public financing, but it's not the apocalypse.

Look here's why it's not a big deal: the GOP leadership was elected partially based on promises to cut taxes and what they've delivered is a teensy tiny cut that is going to vanish the second next year's appraisals are done and it's going to make Patrick and Abbott look like liars.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Has polling been optimistic for HERO passing?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Not really.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

quote:

Robert M. Stein, a pollster and political science professor at Rice University, said his latest poll, which wrapped up in early October, shows the measure passing by six percentage points. But the political winds have shifted since then, Stein said, and now he is predicting defeat.
source

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
HERO is down by more than 20 points in early voting, which is unsurprising, but disheartening.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008

An Angry Bug posted:

So I'm not entirely clear on some of the amendments up for vote here in Travis county. Here's my impressions so far. If something's off base, a correction would be helpful before I vote wrong.

Prop 1 - Seems like a typical attempt to use veterans as an emotional appeal to further reduce education funding. Voting no.

Prop 2 - A less specific version of 1. Ambivalent, but inclined to vote no on this too.

Prop 3 - No requirement legislators live in Austin? Sounds fair enough. Voting yes.

Prop 4 - Legalizing raffles for already overfunded sports "nonprofits"? gently caress that. Voting no.

Prop 5 - Privatization of small county infrastructure. Voting no.

Prop 6 - Vague "right to hunt" amendment. Seems like it's trying to create a precedent that would be used to destroy regulations like hunting seasons or restrictions on weapons allowed for hunting. Definitely voting no on this one.

Prop 7 - Dedicates certain taxes and fees to fund non-toll roads. On the one hand this would keep that revenue from being stolen for other things, but on the other hand the "non-toll" part sounds like an attempt to reduce funding to toll roads to make the tolls seem more necessary and funnel more profits to private owners. Not sure on this one.

Isn't prop 5 allowing landowners in small counties to hire the county to build private roads instead of hiring contractors? A public option doesn't seem to have any obvious downsides, since the money from building those private roads could help keep the county construction infrastructure maintained. Am I reading this wrong? There doesn't seem to be anything getting privatized.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
gently caress this retard city

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

:sympathy:

I'm so sorry.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax
Yay, HERO is down in flames!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well don't worry at least we're making sure those fuckers in Austin have to live there, lest they be tarried from appearing at a vote if their horse slips a shoe or something.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You can always move to San Antonio, we still have an NDO.

loving Christ that's depressing though, seriously.:smith:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Even though I don't live in Texas, this still makes me angry. It amazes me that people...just gently caress.

WHat scares me is that I live in a state where LGBT protections are a thing and that they can be taken away because some people find the idea of queer people even existing and happy a scary idea.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Pretty much only the oldest, most hateful citizens show up for any kind of local election. Wouldn't/won't they have a better chance by far in fall 2016?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All the state ballot initiatives passed by huge margins.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

zoux posted:

All the state ballot initiatives passed by huge margins.

https://enrpages.sos.state.tx.us/public/nov03_190_state.htm

Says that only about 12% of the voting districts have reported so far, unless there is another site that has a more up to date feed.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fade5 posted:

I'm seriously considering it. Every year it seems I get pushed farther out of town by skyrocketing rent prices and after ten years of work I'm ready to do the lovely liberal thing and abandon this loving city to it's goddamn bullshit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fade5 posted:

It's tempting, I have friends who already moved for work and all. I wanna stay in Texas or go back to Louisiana because I genuinely love these two states and consider them my homes but, yea it feels like every election there's a fresh reason for me to look at both of them and go 'man gently caress this place'.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Come to San Antonio, I need friends here anyway :shobon:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

And Kentucky just elected a tea bagger pro Kim Davis Governor

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
bring back lf

gently caress this gay earth

death to america

i hope im never sober

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey houston goons what's the cutoff to be in the runoff for mayor?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Is it not just the top 2?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

top 2 if noone gets a majority in the first election, I think, so King and Turner. If turnout is low in the runoff I'm seriously just killing everyone

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh cool the two guys I hate equally. I mean it's not like Garcia being in the mix wouldn't add just a third turd in the punch bowl but man both those guys are scumbags.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You don't like Sly Turner?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean yea he's miles better than King in the sense that at least he's a generic Democrat but I'm not a huge fan of the dude pulling poo poo like playing the 'oh I evolved on gays' card while still doing poo poo like voting against something as basic as a loving study on the impact of bullying children due to their sexual orientation and his poo poo like 'well yea raising the minimum wage is good but we should leave that to a vote (that always ends well right)' or his 'no we need MORE cops and more money for their gear, that's what Houston needs!' stance.

I was a Bell guy, at the very least Turner agrees we need to fix our goddamn shitbag sidewalks, that alone makes me like him a bit.

I'm just drunk and surly really, Turner's a decent dude and yea, down to him or King it's not a question, I just wish Houston could have nice things and not just ok things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
e: n/m for some reason 13's site hosed up for a sec I guess

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There are many highways to allow you to egress the state, thank you for voting sir.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

TEAH SYAG posted:

There are many highways to allow you to egress the state, thank you for voting sir.

Well, highways might be exaggerating a bit. Don't cross any bridges.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
gently caress you Houston. You're a hellish expanse of bigotry and horrible city planning.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do we have a real live "NO MEN IN WOMENS BATHROOMS" person itt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Do we have a real live "NO MEN IN WOMENS BATHROOMS" person itt?

They can just say there girls and you have to show them your vagina because of Obama.

For your pleasure here's a bunch of Christians whining about the new Church of Satan in Spring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gw4Y-jNyFo

"This is what you get when you have freedom of religion," she said, derisively.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 4, 2015