Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was thinking earlier that I'm disappointed saxophone solos didn't make the comeback projected by "The Edge of Glory" and "Last Friday Night".

Me too, and if you're joking, I am not.

(Former sax player here.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not joking - I play saxophone myself.

You listen to pop music from the 1980s and there's loads of songs with guitar solos and sax solos. Lionel Richie - "Dancing On the Ceiling" - there's a Steve Lukather type guitar solo in that, and it's not even a rock song. Why and when did little eight-bar instrumental solos become old-hat? I don't believe it's entirely down to grunge; that primarily impacted on how rock music was in the 1990s more so than pop music generally.

"California King Bed" by Rihanna had an eighties-style guitar solo in it, I believe.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah but Dancing on the Ceiling was garbage.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Ellie Goulding's cover of Tessellate has a great sax solo in it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

Frankly, I don't particularly like any of Lionel Richie's solo oeuvre (Commodores FTW though).

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf_wVfwpfp8

How is that chorus real. How.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

What chorus :smug:?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

it sounds like cash money from gravity falls.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Biebervelli with another one http://noisey.vice.com/blog/justin-bieber-i-ll-show-you-stream?utm_source=noiseytwitterus

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Anyone else read The Song Machine? It's a book about the industrialization of modern pop music, with the author crafting a sort-of-narrative out of the development of different artists and songwriters. It doesn't always succeed, and has some weird inaccuracies (this article covers some of them, even if it's way too bitter), but it's compelling enough that it kept me reading.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Tired Moritz posted:

it sounds like cash money from gravity falls.

Sounds like Mystikal to me.

Also, thoughts on the new Grimes track?

Khagan fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 2, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Look at this crazy opinion.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
ariana grande makes me uncomfortable.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Haven't even listened yet and it's better than every song posted in this thread. Bugatti Biebz back bitch

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

ariana grande makes me uncomfortable.

Go on...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

aBagorn posted:

Go on...
She's 5'0 and looks like a 12-year-old.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

This is really bad.

Khagan posted:

Also, thoughts on the new Grimes track?

She should upgrade to a PS4.

It's pretty good. Can't believe it's been nearly 4 years since 'Visions'.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Listening to Jo Whiley's Radio 2 show on my way home this evening - she played some tracks from the new John Newman album. Sounded pretty good. The fellow she had on with her reviewing albums made an interesting observation that he is to Sam Smith what Duffy was to Adele - both similar artists on a similar level for a while, then one of them took off in a big way. I like Sam Smith well enough but I think I prefer John Newman.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
John Newman rules. I don't understand why his career didn't take off, especially after Uptown Funk made everybody want to do brassy retro stuff.

I like Ariana Grande because she's basically an American Kpop singer. I can definitely see why she'd creep someone out though!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, I liked his last album a lot. It had a sort of Northern soul influence that I think is actually in more contemporary dance music than we realise (see also: "Happy" by Pharrell). I hadn't previously made the Sam Smith connection before - I hadn't realised they both debuted around the same time, probably because John Newman had an album out first by about a year, I think - though it's pretty obvious now that it's been pointed out to me.

I don't dislike Sam Smith or anything, but I find him a bit dull unless I'm in the right mood for his music.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

She's 5'0 and looks like a 12-year-old.

Is Ariana Grande Actually a Baby?: An Investigation

I really like her, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACN9NU9WYfo

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
she's not making herself look taller by putting herself in small circles or boxes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

she's not making herself look taller by putting herself in small circles or boxes.
I don't think she cares much about that. In fact, it seems like most guys prefer petite girls. I'm just a vocal one who doesn't.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 3, 2015

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
I like Focus (and I'm pretty ehhh on Ariana usually; she makes me uncomfortable too, all told) but ever since I read a review saying it sounds like a rehashed "That's The Way I Like It" by KC and the Sunshine Band, I can't hear anything else.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

RIP to Ellie Goulding who has about 3 weeks to get a hit before Adele loving bodyslams her.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

^burtle posted:

RIP to Ellie Goulding who has about 3 weeks to get a hit before Adele loving bodyslams her.
Nah, Ellie Goulding is a dance-pop artist now. Unfortunately, Tay Tay has basically run out of singles from 1989, otherwise we'd get an interesting showdown.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Nah, Ellie Goulding is a dance-pop artist now. Unfortunately, Tay Tay has basically run out of singles from 1989, otherwise we'd get an interesting showdown.

New

Romantics

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder whether the new Adele album will sell a million copies in week one? Taylor Swift is the only artist who can do that nowadays - Adele is the only other singer I think is big enough to potentially manage it.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Sprat Sandwich posted:

New

Romantics

I love New Romantics. Even though it totally sounds like a MySpace profile song from 2007, I love it.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I love New Romantics. Even though it totally sounds like a MySpace profile song from 2007, I love it.

It's really good. That it was relegated to a deluxe edition bonus track is a real shame.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder whether the new Adele album will sell a million copies in week one? Taylor Swift is the only artist who can do that nowadays - Adele is the only other singer I think is big enough to potentially manage it.

Uh- her album goes on sale the week of Black Friday, she is going to obliterate records (I don't think she will match N syncs record though (isn't it like 2.3 million in one week?), but she will certainly beat Britney's record, I'm like 90% sure of this)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I can't wait for #TeamTaylor vs #TeamAdele

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I can't wait for #TeamTaylor vs #TeamAdele

I'll be over here alone in the #TeamKylie corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckd58uBiwFQ

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

#TeamBieber #3milFirstWeekonTheseHoes

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I'll be over here alone in the #TeamKylie corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckd58uBiwFQ
This is the only pop singer Christmas song we need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQViqx6GMY

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Sprat Sandwich posted:

It's really good. That it was relegated to a deluxe edition bonus track is a real shame.

She seems to be making up for that shame by playing it live, which is actually really strange considering how many other songs she could be doing instead of that one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The verses in New Romantics where there's a backing choral, it reminds me of another fairly recent pop song that I think had a male singer but I can't remember much else.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

This is the only pop singer Christmas song we need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQViqx6GMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM2Fnp_qnE8

Josh Lyman posted:

The verses in New Romantics where there's a backing choral, it reminds me of another fairly recent pop song that I think had a male singer but I can't remember much else.

That Bastille song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F90Cw4l-8NY

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Team Gaga anyone?

........guys?

(I wish she was still as popular, so much potential :( )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

somnambulist posted:

Team Gaga anyone?

........guys?

(I wish she was still as popular, so much potential :( )

I feel like if you combined the best tracks from Born This Way and Artpop, you'd have an amazing album. As it stands her stuff has been very hit-or-miss lately, and that makes me sad, because The Fame and The Fame Monster are both so consistently amazing.

This was good though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ntWqV4oW0