Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Canada's consumption taxes are also less regressive than many other places because they don't apply to some necessities like groceries and there's regular sales tax rebates to low income individuals. Compared to places in the US where sales tax is just applied on everything with no exceptions or refunds it's downright progressive. In any case, cutting the GST into a deficit before the recession even hit was a bad move by the Conservatives and just because CI said it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

flakeloaf posted:

If you quote him, you kind of defeat the point of an ignore list.

Not everyone wants their dying comedy forum to be a complete echo chamber.

I say, to the five people in here who haven't put me on that list.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tipps posted:

The thought of "old stock" whites patting themselves on the back for being so cosmopolitan and tolerant because a brown family moved-in down the street is hillarious. :colbert:

Although Canadians as a whole are far from perfect, we are not even close to one of the more racist countries. We are in the top third of being inclusive to other races, if anything. Thats one of the things I love about this country and our people. Hey, we may have 3 vocal racists out of 100, but compared to other countries, we are doing great.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Pinterest Mom posted:

In lieu of a post-election consultation, please participate in this cynical data-mining exercise in which you can tell the NDP which parts of their platform you liked the most.

I didn't fill this out because I'm still an American, but holy poo poo if they think they'll get anything substantial out of this survey. Yes all the policies sound good and I like them, the problem is how far they went to support them or how far the policies go (two cents on the dollar??), and the completely embarrassing campaign they ran this year.

Pinterest Mom posted:

There was a reason I wanted a new thread instead of just moving the old one here~

This is a new thread.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Some conservative men are mad because an MLA in Alberta is having a baby and now she's demanding parental leave at the long-suffering taxpayer's expense! (she's actually not) How could she be so irresponsible as to have a child while having a job! What about her constituents?!!

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 4, 2015

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

zapplez posted:

Although Canadians as a whole are far from perfect, we are not even close to one of the more racist countries. We are in the top third of being inclusive to other races, if anything. Thats one of the things I love about this country and our people. Hey, we may have 3 vocal racists out of 100, but compared to other countries, we are doing great.

Canadians usually rank pretty high in positive attitude towards immigration compared to other developed countries. That being said Europe is currently voting in a bunch of Nazis in bigger numbers with every election so that's not really that high a bar to top.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

Some conservative men are mad because an MLA in Alberta is having a baby and now she's demanding parental leave at the long-suffering taxpayer's expense! (she's actually not) How could she be so irresponsible as to have a child while having a job! What about her constituents?!!

I don't think elected officials should get parental leave (and MPs don't, as far as I understood it). On-site child care is a good and reasonable thing to have.

e: also from that article:

quote:

The Wildrose party said it will filibuster the motion because it had agreed to a 10 a.m. session start three days a week, which it said the government pushed to 9 a.m. without notice. The Official Opposition also said an earlier legislature start time means an earlier workday overall, since MLAs must prepare for bill debates.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 4, 2015

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Brannock posted:

This is a new thread.

https://youtu.be/Uhu5V8VRxFU?t=12s

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't think elected officials should get parental leave (and MPs don't, as far as I understood it). On-site child care is a good and reasonable thing to have.

e: also from that article:

I don't see why elected representatives shouldn't get parental leave. The replacement should be decided by a temporary by-election, instead of by the party or the MLA, but apart from that I don't have a problem with MLAs getting parental leave. It should be everyone's right.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rime posted:

Not everyone wants their dying comedy forum to be a complete echo chamber.

I say, to the five people in here who haven't put me on that list.

i don't have anyone in this thread on ignore. :unsmith:

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dumping the elections team is a much better idea.
Pretty sure Mulcair had a hand in a lot of the terrible stuff about that campaign.

EvilJoven posted:

Someone's gonna read my angry survey reply, sigh and delete it.

Mine too! It did feel good writing it, though.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

PT6A posted:

I don't see why elected representatives shouldn't get parental leave. The replacement should be decided by a temporary by-election, instead of by the party or the MLA, but apart from that I don't have a problem with MLAs getting parental leave. It should be everyone's right.

With most legislatures sitting for less than three weeks in the entire year anyways, what's the big loving deal? They just sit there collecting taxpayer cash and doing jack-poo poo for the bulk of their term, maybe listening to some worthless NIMBYs who wander in.

There's no need to replace them in a by-election, just let them go suckle their kid for a couple of months christ.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

vyelkin posted:

Canada's consumption taxes are also less regressive than many other places because they don't apply to some necessities like groceries and there's regular sales tax rebates to low income individuals. Compared to places in the US where sales tax is just applied on everything with no exceptions or refunds it's downright progressive. In any case, cutting the GST into a deficit before the recession even hit was a bad move by the Conservatives and just because CI said it doesn't mean it isn't true.

They're also made less regressive by measures like the federal government's GST tax rebate and the Quebec provincial government's Solidarity Tax Credit. When I was in college they added up to some 80 dollars a month (~60 monthly from Quebec and ~60 every three months from Ottawa), which is certainly more than I spent on sales taxes at the time.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 2, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

EvilJoven posted:

Someone's gonna read my angry survey reply, sigh and delete it.

Thomas Mulcair sighed and drew his mouse pointer up to the delete button

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

i don't have anyone in this thread on ignore. :unsmith:

I used to have a few people, but took them off since they're a good source of comedy

The only ones on Ignore for me now are goons who post questionable or graphic stuff in GBS

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Today is my 30th birthday. I get to celebrate it with the best gift of all: watching that shithead Harper resign.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Melian Dialogue posted:

Uhh why not? Shouldn't they have the same labour rights afforded to anyone else?

It's a form of highly paid short term employment that is basically equivalent to what a self-employed consultant would undertake. I'm all for making accommodations such as child care on site (and they basically set their own hours anyway, so more of that), but not for taking extended time off.

Stretch Marx posted:

Today is my 30th birthday. I get to celebrate it with the best gift of all: watching that shithead Harper resign.

Well, you get to hear about it secondhand. I'm sorry I couldn't take the morning off and go to see Trudeau and the rest show up.

Apparently there will be 28 ministers.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Wouldn't forcing a by election essentially be firing her for having a child and be vaguely illegal? I'm not sure what the employment situation is in Alberta or if the rules change for elected officials. Regardless of whoevers personal feelings obviously.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I don't think that an elected official should be able to go 'well a thing happened and now I can't work for a year, toodles' for any reason and get to keep their position. Do a byelection.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

She isn't asking for that though. At most all that's being discussed is flexibility in hours/onsite childcare.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oh. That's cool.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Stretch Marx posted:

Remember remember the 4th of November, the fall of the silver-haired 'bot

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

I don't think that an elected official should be able to go 'well a thing happened and now I can't work for a year, toodles' for any reason and get to keep their position. Do a byelection.

I think there should be an option to have someone elected in a by-election to take over only during the leave period. Or, as is happening, figuring out a way for the employee in question to continue performing their duties while providing additional time off or childcare. It seems like most of the arguments against it are related to "well, it's a good, highly paid position, so gently caress it!" and I think we should do better than that as a society. Dealing with parental leave is a pain in the rear end for any organisation, but we mandate it because it ought to be the right of an employee to take it if they wish.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Harper is gone now. We official have no PM for the next 15 minutes. Anarchy time!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think expectations are and should be different in different types of employment.

Anyway in other news you'll be happy to hear Kent Hehr is in cabinet.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I think expectations are and should be different in different types of employment.

Why? Does this apply to all labour laws in your mind, or just the ones concerning leave?

quote:

Anyway in other news you'll be happy to hear Kent Hehr is in cabinet.

Hurrah!

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

My google news feed says Bill Morneau is going to be finance minister.

Whodat

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Why? Does this apply to all labour laws in your mind, or just the ones concerning leave?

All labour laws. Expectations on placing yourself in danger, on hours worked, on leave conditions all vary based on employment type. I don't see anything wrong with this. There need to be good reasons for not following the norm, but I'd say the nature of short term employment for elected officials is a good enough reason to limit non-essential leave. Plus, parental leave is nice, but less important than the other things organizations do to accommodate parents.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Trudeau is such a dork, walking down the drive repeating "sunny ways, sunny ways".

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They've said like 25 minister names but I haven't seen Goodale mentioned. Wonder if he gets snubbed.

Nope

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Hahaha. The two people I ran that really good fundraiser for got cabinet. gently caress yeah me.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hahaha. The two people I ran that really good fundraiser for got cabinet. gently caress yeah me.

You're patronage will be rewarded, afterall we are talking about the Liberals.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

I'm a bad Canadian. Why am I seeing Canadian flags with blue stripes on the sides of the white?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

jm20 posted:

You're patronage will be rewarded, afterall we are talking about the Liberals.

Cept I'm not a rhodes scholar, or anywhere near as qualified as these people

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Tonda MacCharles @TondaMacC

Brison, Duncan, McCauley, Morneau,Sajjan, Leblanc, Foote, Dion, Hajdul, Goodale, McKenna, Garneau, Philpott, Bennett.

Obviously Dion for Environment, Garneau for State, McKenna for International Cooperation/State?

edit: Morneau has been outed as Finance.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm still vaguely disappointed I missed that!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

Tonda MacCharles @TondaMacC

Brison, Duncan, McCauley, Morneau,Sajjan, Leblanc, Foote, Dion, Hajdul, Goodale, McKenna, Garneau, Philpott, Bennett.

Obviously Dion for Environment, Garneau for State, McKenna for International Cooperation/State?

Garneau could also be science and tech, or foreign affairs. Dion is a lock for Enviro tho.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Amgard posted:

I'm a bad Canadian. Why am I seeing Canadian flags with blue stripes on the sides of the white?

A bunch of people decided that the national flag of Canada wasn't representative of Quebec for the second time in recent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I hope Scott Brison is the Minister Of Unpaid Internships