Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I generally dislike a game where I am not directly commanding my characters, but Yokai Watch has some neat ideas and a lot of flow to its battle system. The demo gives you an example of a real tough fight to show just how easily your six monsters can get curb stomped despite number advantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rexroom posted:

Some items in New Style Boutique 2 can be unlocked with amiibo. Like those bounty hunter boots. C'est chic!

I was going to ask why the Inkling doesn't unlock any actual brands from Splatoon but then I remembered they already put some Splatoon clothing in the game some months back.

Y'know if they wanna pad out their schedule for next year they could just make a quickie re-skin of Girls Mode 3 but instead of humans just use Inklings, set it in Inkopolis and include all the various fresh brands and it'd probably sell O.K. maybe.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Saoshyant posted:

Homebrew stuff has become a bit muddled when Nintendo fixed the browser/Youtube exploits, so most people are confused now on how to install the Homebrew Channel for region-free gaming, SNES emulation, or "speeding up" older 3DS games on the Nu3DS. Someone on reddit made a good flow chart to explain the current situation:

vvvv no, I'm sorry.

As it turns out, with some DNS settings, you can still launch browserhax (to then install ironhax or whatever else) even though it tries to block the browser as long as you're on 10.1.0 still. Worked great for me. The extra CPU really helps some games.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
In honor of Abridged:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Can anything useful be done with the hacks yet? Like, I can only care about emulation being possible so many times before it becomes boring.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

Can anything useful be done with the hacks yet? Like, I can only care about emulation being possible so many times before it becomes boring.
Region free and rom hacks/translation patches.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Speeding up frame rate for games with New systems is pretty cool and useful but it doesn't work for downloaded games. :(

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

homeless snail posted:

Region free and rom hacks/translation patches.

Any rom translations for Rhythm heaven or Taiko no Tatsujin if not gently caress this whole Earth

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Speeding up frame rate for games with New systems is pretty cool and useful but it doesn't work for downloaded games. :(

Yes it does, on the screen where it shows you what cart is inserted and the settings you can apply to it, just push left or right on the d-pad and it will scroll through your downloaded games. You may have to eject the cart, not sure if I did that or not.

I just tried it the other night to see if turning on the higher cpu speed helps the load time of my downloaded copy of Lego city undercover.

Sadly it does not :(

So even if you have Pokemon xy or oras downloaded, you can still use the cpu speed up to fix the battle frame rate.

noirstronaut posted:

People also forget to mention that if you start games, even retail carts or downloaded games from the home brew launcher, you can hold L+R+Down+B to drop back to home brew launcher. So you could essentially operate totally out of the launcher, playing retail games and emulators at the higher speeds without having to sit thru the ironfall loading screen each time.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 4, 2015

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Someone posted some time back a quick guide for getting more demons in SMT IV, I thought I had saved it but I can't find it, does anyone know what I'm talking about?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Anything exciting on the horizon, aside from SMT4 remix edition? I want to sell my new 3ds XL to get a beefier graphics card but I'm still debating on whether I should or shouldn't. I probably will though.

On that note, think I can squeeze $180 out of a mint condition black new XL?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Should I buy a new 3DS XL now, or wait until holiday time in hopes that a good bundle happens? The only 3ds games i'm really interested in are pokemon, and maybe some of the jrpgs.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

KittyEmpress posted:

Should I buy a new 3DS XL now, or wait until holiday time in hopes that a good bundle happens? The only 3ds games i'm really interested in are pokemon, and maybe some of the jrpgs.

If you're in the US, you might as well hold off for Black Friday. Uh, if you're doing that, though, make sure that you are on the ball with your timing. I wanted to buy my girlfriend a cheap 3DS on Black Friday, and we ended up having to settle for a 2DS, instead, because every 3DS was already purchased when we got to the store.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

You just missed a cool Zelda tri force heroes bundle XL. I dont know if there are any left but you could order them on gamestop's website.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Been playing some Mario games that have been gathering dust in my apartment, think they got left by a friend at some point.

Right now I'm on Super Mario 64 DS. Is it just me or does the game look like garbage? Everything just seems kind of washed out and the new models, while higher poly, look out of place. And somehow it seems to actually control worse than the original?

Still, the gimmick of playing as different characters is enough to keep me going. Haven't unlocked Wario yet but I'm looking forward to maining that tubby motherfucker.

Edit: Oh and I've got NSMB DS too. I imagine that one will have aged a little better since it's basically 2D.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

KingSlime posted:

Anything exciting on the horizon, aside from SMT4 remix edition? I want to sell my new 3ds XL to get a beefier graphics card but I'm still debating on whether I should or shouldn't. I probably will though.

I bought my N3DSXL off here for $130 like a month or two after it was released. And it was flawless/in box/included a charger. I've seen others go for similar. I imagine that's a no...

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oh man. These things depreciate fast!

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

mabels big day posted:

You just missed a cool Zelda tri force heroes bundle XL. I dont know if there are any left but you could order them on gamestop's website.

This bundle was just the LE system + the game sold at MSRP for both.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

organburner posted:

Someone posted some time back a quick guide for getting more demons in SMT IV, I thought I had saved it but I can't find it, does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Are you asking about recruiting demons?

1: get to the actual negotiation part of scout.
2: either accept the first request if you're comfortable with it or cheat. If you're not comfortable and you can't cheat, it's ok to refuse.
3: if you accepted/cheated the first request, then refuse the second. If you refused the first, accept/cheat the second.
4: end negotiations as soon as possible.

That'll generally get you a bunch of demon recruits fairly quickly, I've found.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

PantsBandit posted:

Been playing some Mario games that have been gathering dust in my apartment, think they got left by a friend at some point.

Right now I'm on Super Mario 64 DS. Is it just me or does the game look like garbage? Everything just seems kind of washed out and the new models, while higher poly, look out of place. And somehow it seems to actually control worse than the original?

Still, the gimmick of playing as different characters is enough to keep me going. Haven't unlocked Wario yet but I'm looking forward to maining that tubby motherfucker.

Edit: Oh and I've got NSMB DS too. I imagine that one will have aged a little better since it's basically 2D.

I don't think the DS version of Mario 64 controls right because you have to use the touchscreen to get analog control, which is sort of integral to that game. If you have an old thumb strap stylus around it works better than you might think, but I still think a real 3DS version of Mario 64 with support for the circlepad would be awesome.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

RichterIX posted:

I don't think the DS version of Mario 64 controls right because you have to use the touchscreen to get analog control, which is sort of integral to that game. If you have an old thumb strap stylus around it works better than you might think, but I still think a real 3DS version of Mario 64 with support for the circlepad would be awesome.

Actually the circlepad works while playing Mario 64 on the 3DS. You just don't get quite the same degree of control, you can't really sneak with it for instance.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Circle pad fixes my biggest problem from the game really. You wouldn't think it would feel all that great as it was originally mapped to a D-pad, but it controls OK.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

KingSlime posted:

It's not a remix, it's a straight-up sequel to the original SMT4 with improved(?) combat and demon art.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PantsBandit posted:

Actually the circlepad works while playing Mario 64 on the 3DS. You just don't get quite the same degree of control, you can't really sneak with it for instance.

It only "works" insofar as the Circle Pad works on any DS game. It's literally just 8-way completely digital control. SM64DS has no analogue support for the circle pad at all, ever.

Anything else is pure placebo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Saoshyant posted:

Homebrew stuff has become a bit muddled when Nintendo fixed the browser/Youtube exploits, so most people are confused now on how to install the Homebrew Channel for region-free gaming, SNES emulation, or "speeding up" older 3DS games on the Nu3DS. Someone on reddit made a good flow chart to explain the current situation:

vvvv no, I'm sorry.

How good is SNES emulation using the homebrew channel?

I've got a flashcart which can do okay SNES emulation but its only running in DS mode so it could be faster if you can access the full 3DS hardware.

RichterIX posted:

Better yet give me a Nu3DS version with full on dual-analog control for Mario and the Camera. The camera is one of the only things that's kinda wonky about Mario64.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

ChaosArgate posted:

Are you asking about recruiting demons?

1: get to the actual negotiation part of scout.
2: either accept the first request if you're comfortable with it or cheat. If you're not comfortable and you can't cheat, it's ok to refuse.
3: if you accepted/cheated the first request, then refuse the second. If you refused the first, accept/cheat the second.
4: end negotiations as soon as possible.

That'll generally get you a bunch of demon recruits fairly quickly, I've found.

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Rexroom posted:

It's not a remix, it's a straight-up sequel to the original SMT4 with improved(?) combat and demon art.

It's more of an interquel, really. It happens right in the middle of the neutral route I think.

organburner posted:

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.

If you want to be absolutely sure you're not going to get horribly maimed when you do this, then kill every demon except for the one you're trying to recruit. I've had negotiations go very poorly because of RNG.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zaphod42 posted:

How good is SNES emulation using the homebrew channel?

Most popular non-FX chip games work really well with minimal stutter. Blargsnes is the one I'm using.

MGBA is already pretty much full speed too but it needs work with audio for a lot of games.

Not many emulators seem to work that well on non-New systems though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

Depends, if it's on Firmware 9.0 or 9.2, it'll probably sell.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Is the smash exploit the only thing I can realistically use on my 10.2-28 n3DS at this point? I dont have cubic ninja or ironfall.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Is the smash exploit the only thing I can realistically use on my 10.2-28 n3DS at this point? I dont have cubic ninja or ironfall.

Yes. Using the smash exploit as a permanent entrypoint isn't very realistic though since it's a pain in the rear end to use.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 4, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Andrast posted:

Yes. Using the smash exploit isn't very realistic as a permanent entrypoint though since it's a pain in the rear end to use.

Poo. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

You could get Ocarina of Time 3D, use the Smash exploit to get homebrew running and then install the OoT3Dhax to that game.
I'm not sure if that currently supports 10.2, but trying can't hurt.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HenryEx posted:

You could get Ocarina of Time 3D, use the Smash exploit to get homebrew running and then install the OoT3Dhax to that game.

It works on 10.2.

Edit: but it seems to be a bit buggy at the moment

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 4, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Oh! I do have oot, would that mean that I would only have to do SSB once and then use oot from then on, if it works? Also, I still have my old 3DS which is on 10.1. Could I use that as a vector with browserhax or something to get oot working? Or themehax?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Oh! I do have oot, would that mean that I would only have to do SSB once and then use oot from then on, if it works? Also, I still have my old 3DS which is on 10.1. Could I use that as a vector with browserhax or something to get oot working? Or themehax?

As far as i know, you'd have to be careful with your o3DS if you're trying for the browserhack. If it ever connected to the internet without blocking a certain URL, the browser will disable and prompt you to update. If you've never seen the prompt, and block the URL before going online, it should still work though.

In any case, if you can get a HB solution going on your o3DS, you should be able to install the hack for OoT from there, yes. I haven't used it, though, so i don't have any details.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just be aware that you'll have to give up your saves if you're going to do OoThax.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Mario 64 is not a very good game

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

African AIDS cum posted:

Mario 64 is not a very good game

Actually, it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

No, no, he's right. It's not a good game, it's a fantastic game.