Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This is where a brave poster chimes in to point out that there's nothing wrong with having climbed to the top of the food chain on the corpses of other cultures, and you'd better work hard to stay there lest the "others" sense your weakness and kick you off the pile.

If this were stormfront :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Rime posted:

If this were stormfront :ssh:

You mean it's not? :confused:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
gently caress China

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-mansions-sell-for-bargain-1.3302103

some CBC article posted:

An Alberta home with Swarovski crystal-laced faucets and mother of pearl tiles in the master bathroom has sold for nearly half its asking price. The 9,200-square-foot house located in Priddis, 40 minutes southwest of Calgary, was listed for $3.9 million but purchased at auction for just over $1.7 million. Another luxury property down the street had a similar fate — the $2.9-million mansion was picked up at a 62 per cent discount.

"The buyer paid $1.1 million — the price of a dumpy 1970s Vancouver special," wrote investment adviser and former MP Garth Turner in a recent blog. The Realtor representing the two Priddis homes says they were new builds, appraised just under their list price. "The market tells us what the market tells us. That's what the market dictated at that time," said Mark Evernden, president of sales with Engel & Völkers in Calgary. The price that the buyer paid was "a great savings," he said.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

There's some massive irony in that "dumpy vancouver special" line. As if said shithole is actually worth $1.1m, and the fancy house was not sold at a still-inflated but closer to realistic price for what it is. :3

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brannock posted:

Han Chinese are no better than European whites, quit with the handwringing already. Vancouver is being sold out, pricing out people who actually live there. Complaining about racism is an extremely convenient distraction from what's going on there.

Same with Jews, honestly.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No more skipping floor numbers for the superstitious.

quote:

Vancouver has long accommodated the superstitious by allowing certain floor numbers, suite numbers and addresses to be hidden or not used at all.

Across the city, many buildings with more than 12 floors are missing the number 13, jumping right to 14. It stems from a time when people also believed it was bad luck to step on a crack or walk under a ladder.

More recently, Vancouver has increasingly found itself approving developments with many more missing floors, including 14. From the 4th to the 54th, any floor containing a 4 has vanished in an effort to cater to superstitious Chinese.

Condo towers marketed to Asian buyers often don’t even have suite numbers containing 4. Developers and real estate agents know it’s harder to sell suites on floors containing a 4 because the spoken word for the number sounds strikingly similar to the spoken word for “death” in Mandarin and Cantonese.

It can make for some odd situations, such as the 53-floor Burrard Place condo tower under construction at Hornby and Drake Streets being marketed as having a 60th floor. That’s because the developer not only knocked out all the floors with a 4, but took out 13 for good measure.

Now the city, increasingly worried about the potential for confusion among first responders, and the consequences of emergency providers misjudging floors, has called a halt.

Not only are 4’s back where they should be, but so is 13.

“We’re back to basic math at the city,” Pat Ryan, the chief building officer said Tuesday. “It was very hard to justify why we were doing this if something were to go wrong.”

No word on whether the ghosts of hospice patients will also become mandatory.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is good and could only ever come from top down regulation.

"Bob Rennie, one of Vancouver’s best-known condo marketers, said he doesn’t really think the change will make much difference.
“People who are superstitious and don’t like 4 aren’t going to buy on those floors,” he said.
Rennie, who said he’s “very superstitious” doesn’t like the number 4 either.
“Every car I have has at least a 5 and a 4 in the licence plate,” he said. “Five means ‘no’ and 4 means ‘death’ or ‘die.’ Some people like 8 because it means prosperity. I’d rather have “no die” in any car I drive. "

Kill your self.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 4, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is Bob Rennie as Reverse Condo Banana?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

Same with Jews, honestly.

Pretty much anyone of any race is an rear end in a top hat.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Terebus posted:

Pretty much anyone of any race is an rear end in a top hat.

White people are the worst though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Remember that being lovely is a zero sum game so as long as whites are using up all the lovely nobody else can possibly be lovely.

Also, because kids are starving to death in Africa nobody else on the planet is actually experiencing pain and suffering.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jumpingmanjim posted:

White people are the worst though.

Actually, it's Australians. We can all agree on that.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Actually, it's Australians. We can all agree on that.

Nope, they have nothing on white South Africans.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I love white south Africans. Great people to work with. English people, especially Londoners are human garbage.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

I love white south Africans. Great people to work with. English people, especially Londoners are human garbage.

Have a care how you address the citizens of Neo-Rome.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pay off your mortgage, live debt free: how one guy did it in 3 years.

This is a great example for those entitled young millennials out there complaining about high housing costs. All you need is a lot of money for a down payment to make your mortgage (relatively) small, and to work (supposedly) 100 hours/week, have no life and eat lovely food, and you too can be a proud debt-free homeowner in 3 years for no real discernible or defensible reason.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

eXXon posted:

This is a great example for those entitled young millennials out there complaining about high housing costs. All you need is a lot of money for a down payment to make your mortgage (relatively) small, and to work (supposedly) 100 hours/week, have no life and eat lovely food, and you too can be a proud debt-free homeowner in 3 years for no real discernible or defensible reason.

lmao 3 years of bagels and peanut butter

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eXXon posted:

You missed "rent out the whole house that you're doing this for and live in the basement like a surly teenager."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Paying off a home in full doesn't make much sense either since you are sinking 425,000 into a single asset class.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

etalian posted:

Paying off a home in full doesn't make much sense either since you are sinking 425,000 into a single asset class.

Having extremely minimal housing costs is good, though, and assuming you've bought in a city that's not in a bubble, that asset is very unlikely to completely collapse. "Investing" in real estate beyond where you, personally, live is retarded, but it's certainly appealing to have a paid-off house that you live in, IMO.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

Having extremely minimal housing costs is good, though, and assuming you've bought in a city that's not in a bubble, that asset is very unlikely to completely collapse. "Investing" in real estate beyond where you, personally, live is retarded, but it's certainly appealing to have a paid-off house that you live in, IMO.

well the house is in Toronto.....

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

Between his work and rental income, Cooper netted about $100,000 a year. He was able to put most of his earnings toward his mortgage by living super-frugally.

Great job, paying down debt at sub 3% instead of investing in a bunch of indexes for double (or more) the return :homebrew:

PT6A posted:

:lol:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

etalian posted:

well the house is in Toronto.....

Oh yeah, then it's probably a bad idea. I didn't read the article because I don't care.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

Oh yeah, then it's probably a bad idea. I didn't read the article because I don't care.

Not to mention the danger of overweighting all your money into the house just to get rid of a mortgage, it's no different than putting all
your money in a single hyped stock.

A home is also a bad place to put massive amounts of money since it's a incredibility illiquid asset unlike index tracking stocks and bonds.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

etalian posted:

lmao 3 years of bagels and peanut butter

lol seriously. This guy is to be pitied, not showered with plaudits like in article.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Considering most people don't even consider stocks as an option in the equation, and only decide whether to put money into truck equity or house equity, AND truck equity usually wins, he's not doing THAT bad.

Still shoulda put that money in the market instead. I ain't touchin' my mortgage with an extra penny until rates go up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Considering most people don't even consider stocks as an option in the equation, and only decide whether to put money into truck equity or house equity, AND truck equity usually wins, he's not doing THAT bad.

Still shoulda put that money in the market instead. I ain't touchin' my mortgage with an extra penny until rates go up.

I imagine it must be a good feeling not having to worry about landlords or paying the bank each month.

Still having $425,000 cash tied up in a single type of asset would keep me up at night.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

etalian posted:

I imagine it must be a good feeling not having to worry about landlords or paying the bank each month.

Still having $425,000 cash tied up in a single type of asset would keep me up at night.

It's a big risk, for sure, but on the other hand you don't "need" that money to avoid being homeless anymore. You need to cover taxes, utilities and food, and that's a lot less stressful than knowing you also have to cover a mortgage payment or rent if you lose your job, for example.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So a friend of ours bought a condo. It has rained heavily here lately and she woke up to find the whole parking lot and ground floor flooded due to improperly maintained drains. The building is about half owners and half renters, most of the ground floor units are rented and all have tenants insurance and such so it's a pain in the rear end but not the end of the world. One stupid old fat lady though was acting like it was the end of the world and she was the only victim of the flooding. When our friend tried to figure out why she was so extra upset she complained that her condo was full of extremely valuable antiques and basically all her wealth was tied up in "investment" antiques. Oh well, sucks lady, but insurance should cover it.

She doesn't have insurance. She owns a ground floor condo and has absolutely no insurance.

Her reason for not having insurance? "Last time the ground floor flooded they said they fixed the problem so it was pointless to pay for insurance!". This isn't the first time she's been flooded out and still thinks insurance is a waste of money. It's really hard to have sympathy for people like this, but she's absolutely ruined from this.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-04/cheap-oil-helps-china-unseat-canada-as-top-u-s-trade-partner

quote:

Cheap Oil Helps China Unseat Canada as Top U.S. Trade Partner

China is poised to become the biggest U.S. trading partner this year, eclipsing Canada for the first time as the slump in oil prices reduces the value of energy exports for America’s neighbor to the north.

Trade in goods with China reached $441.6 billion this year through September, exceeding the $438.1 billion balance with Canada for the first time in U.S. Commerce Department data going back to 1985. Figures published Wednesday also showed that the U.S. trade shortfall with China is now at an all-time high, fueled by record imports.

Crude oil is among Canada’s biggest exports, and its price has collapsed to about half of its 2014 peak. That’s helped send the value of its trade with the U.S. so far in 2015 down 11.6 percent from the same time last year even as the world’s biggest economy buys more barrels.

“It’s completely an oil story,” said Jacob Oubina, senior U.S. economist at RBC Capital Markets LLC in New York. “In nominal terms, yes, the trade with China overtakes Canada, but in real terms, it’s very different. It’s not economic activity or output. It’s a price story all the way.”

In September, the U.S. imported 101.3 million barrels of crude oil from Canada, the most this year and the second-highest level in records going back to 2010, according to data from the Census Bureau. However, the $3.9 billion customs value of those imports was the second-lowest.

Meanwhile, as other emerging markets struggle to accelerate, China is increasingly dependent on U.S. consumers buying its goods. Total trade this year with China is up 3.7 percent from the same nine months in 2014.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
investment antiques

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

So a friend of ours bought a condo. It has rained heavily here lately and she woke up to find the whole parking lot and ground floor flooded due to improperly maintained drains. The building is about half owners and half renters, most of the ground floor units are rented and all have tenants insurance and such so it's a pain in the rear end but not the end of the world. One stupid old fat lady though was acting like it was the end of the world and she was the only victim of the flooding. When our friend tried to figure out why she was so extra upset she complained that her condo was full of extremely valuable antiques and basically all her wealth was tied up in "investment" antiques. Oh well, sucks lady, but insurance should cover it.

She doesn't have insurance. She owns a ground floor condo and has absolutely no insurance.

Her reason for not having insurance? "Last time the ground floor flooded they said they fixed the problem so it was pointless to pay for insurance!". This isn't the first time she's been flooded out and still thinks insurance is a waste of money. It's really hard to have sympathy for people like this, but she's absolutely ruined from this.

This person is an actual idiot and deserves no pity, other than over the disappearance of a somewhat significant amount of wealth from the economic system. I can't believe what I just read.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Brannock posted:

This person is an actual idiot and deserves no pity, other than over the disappearance of a somewhat significant amount of wealth from the economic system. I can't believe what I just read.

I think I nearly came from schadenfreude reading that story. Oh my god.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm going to start calling my watch collection portable investments.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

investment antiques

Everyone has some antique that is probably worth something, though much less than they think they are.

Actually calling them investment antiques though is pretty next level.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not sure she literally said "investment antiques" just that all her money was tied up in them, like it was all she had, no insurance, no savings, no investments. It was her planned fall-back for when her retirement income got tight. She was treating them as her retirement investments but I don't think she literally said the amazing words "investment antiques!" to my friend, as good as that would be.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Oh cool, maybe I'll be able to move back to Calgary and own a place without being a suburban shithead. Mostly just the luxury market that's been falling out, but it's a start.

My parents selling my Grandma's shithole bungalow (that was in a goodish location) that they inherited right in middle of the mid-2000's Calgary housing bubble gave em the money that paid for most of my undergrad so I can't entirely hate, but speculative housing investments are a pretty evil game.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Jesus. This is just sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Rick Rickshaw posted:

This is pretty much the smartest thing I've read in this thread. So true.