Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what's going on in VA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Lol Nina Simone is a racist caricature.

Edit: was, R.I.P.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Looks like early results in Seattle are positive. It's been tough hearing all the depressing results come in tonight, but hey it looks like we're getting tax-payer funded elections, early childhood health/education, and a $1B transportation levy.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Add Kshama Sawant to the list of people defeating Democrats tonight!

It's a bit too early for that. She's leading, 52-47, but Washington is mail-in, so the final counts could easily change based on who mailed in what over the past few days. Can't find details, but I think it only needs to be postmarked by today.

EDIT: I have also been informed that Mirkarimi is actually an awful person aside from his stance on immigration, so I guess it is good that he lost even if he was less pro-contacting-ICE than Hennessy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Silly Burrito posted:

Runoff is in two and a half weeks, but the polls are showing that he's got the lead over Vitter right now.

http://theadvocate.com/news/acadiana/13877163-123/polls-democrat-edwards-leads-republican

Edwards leading Vitter 54 percent to 38 percent, 52 percent to Vitter’s 32 percent, and 52 percent to 40 percent.

Each of the three had a margin of error between 3.7 percent and 4.1 percent.

This is hilarious but my mother asked about Edwards and asked if he was kin to Edwin Edwards. I told her yes. She is now voting for Edwards.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

This is hilarious but my mother asked about Edwards and asked if he was kin to Edwin Edwards. I told her yes. She is now voting for Edwards.

Don't lie to your mother.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Walt Minnick of Idaho? Funny coincidence, I interned with him in DC a few years ago.

You did? Woah. I drag him out as an example of why even a Republican with a D next to his name is still better. His replacement ran on a campaign to STOP PELOSI and help founded the Raiders of the Tortilla Coast.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Don't lie to your mother.

They could be kin. You don't know that.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Here's a scenario I see being possible in kentucky, and it's the only Hope I'm clinging to. Bevin goes hard after killing Medicaid on the first day and institutes his Medicare drug testing program on day two.

These measures, when actually seen by kentuckians, instantly sour them on their idiot governor and the state legislatures panic, seeing that they're all in danger of getting ousted at next election. They work on reinstating Medicaid expansion by law and override bevins veto. Bevin is neutered and spends the next four years totally powerless, as the stalemate in the legislatures never resolves.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Man, this country really does deserve to crash and burn. Voters are the dumbest motherfuckers.

Considering that the amount we've collectively slashed education budgets for decades would put Jason Voorhees to shame, I can't say I'm much surprised by the consequences.

DemeaninDemon posted:

You did? Woah. I drag him out as an example of why even a Republican with a D next to his name is still better. His replacement ran on a campaign to STOP PELOSI and help founded the Raiders of the Tortilla Coast.

Yes, it was more accidental than by purpose. Relying on connections for a substitute internship position after a think tank application fell through by the last minute landed me in a start up lobbying group that Minnick was a part of for a summer, which also led to a part time congressional internship in John Barrow's (D-Georgia) office.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's a bit too early for that. She's leading, 52-47, but Washington is mail-in, so the final counts could easily change based on who mailed in what over the past few days. Can't find details, but I think it only needs to be postmarked by today.

Right, it needs to be postmarked today. But that said, her opponent was expected to be doing much better in the first ballot drop, and later-counted votes almost always trend leftward, so Sawant almost definitely has it in the bag.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Here's a scenario I see being possible in kentucky, and it's the only Hope I'm clinging to. Bevin goes hard after killing Medicaid on the first day and institutes his Medicare drug testing program on day two.

These measures, when actually seen by kentuckians, instantly sour them on their idiot governor and the state legislatures panic, seeing that they're all in danger of getting ousted at next election. They work on reinstating Medicaid expansion by law and override bevins veto. Bevin is neutered and spends the next four years totally powerless, as the stalemate in the legislatures never resolves.

Yo they just voted the guy in after he promised all that poo poo.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

Yo they just voted the guy in after he promised all that poo poo.

Except in the past few weeks he said he totally didn't mean any of it guys, that's all crazy talk I'd never do it. People are dumb enough to fall for that poo poo sometimes.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I wonder if our era will be remembered in the history books as historically liberal, or if we just won't have history books anymore.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Ohio issue 2 is going to pass with a percentage point. At least southern Ohio caught on, but Cleveland had more voters.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Goddamn Kentucky voting Bevin in. I don't think it's hyperbole to say their decision will probably kill someone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Except in the past few weeks he said he totally didn't mean any of it guys, that's all crazy talk I'd never do it. People are dumb enough to fall for that poo poo sometimes.

Chances are they'll fall for it again when he says he had to throw 400k people into the uninsured woodchipper only for a little bit first in order to make a way better system.

Then, when he doesn't deliver, they'll fall for it when he blames the Ds in the legislature, resulting in an R supermajority.

Look - Kansas can't even keep its own courts running, they've hosed their economy so bad with this lolbertarian bullshit, and they're still huffing what Brownback is spewing. Kentucky just fell for a blatant "ME OR YOUR LYIN' EYES" gag and decided their eyes were the ones lyin'. Kentucky has a long death spiral ahead of it after this, anyone who thinks voters will just spontaneously find their own assholes is either terrifically naïve or beset with a cognitive impairment preventing anything containing the word "Wisconsin" from being remembered.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 4, 2015

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Petr posted:

I wonder if our era will be remembered in the history books as historically liberal, or if we just won't have history books anymore.

I was gonna make a joke about their only textbook being the Bible but then I remembered that's basically already true for a lot of homeschool kids and now I'm sad.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
Because just maybe, MAYBE, this time the Clintons haven't put their ducks in a row; the RNC is going for another Charlie Brown vs Lucy football kick attempt.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/04/us-usa-election-clinton-republican-idUSKCN0ST01620151104

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Well if your looking for some good news, Democrats just got their largest majority in 36 years in the NJ state assembly.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No one cares about New Jersey they electec Chris Christie unless they collective come together and cure cancer or cancer that causes you to burst into flames or invent a cancer that causes you to burst into flame no one cares

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

FetusSlapper posted:

Because just maybe, MAYBE, this time the Clintons haven't put their ducks in a row; the RNC is going for another Charlie Brown vs Lucy football kick attempt.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/04/us-usa-election-clinton-republican-idUSKCN0ST01620151104

It must suck to be a Republican oppo researcher against the Clintons. You're sitting on decades of stuff but you know it's all been done before or it hasn't stuck. You probably end up listening to the smallest rumors and doing world-class mental gymnastics to turn it into HILLARY SHOULD NOT BE PRESIDENT

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
How long will it take the Republican stranglehold on state-level politics to translate into a lock on national elections as well?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Logikv9 posted:

It must suck to be a Republican oppo researcher against the Clintons. You're sitting on decades of stuff but you know it's all been done before or it hasn't stuck. You probably end up listening to the smallest rumors and doing world-class mental gymnastics to turn it into HILLARY SHOULD NOT BE PRESIDENT

That which is not dead can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Petr posted:

How long will it take the Republican stranglehold on state-level politics to translate into a lock on national elections as well?

Depends on the level of success they have changing the way electoral votes are apportioned in a few key states.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Depends on the level of success they have changing the way electoral votes are apportioned in a few key states.

So, two elections at most.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Hollismason posted:

Goddamn Kentucky voting Bevin in. I don't think it's hyperbole to say their decision will probably kill someone.

Statistically, it's hundreds to thousands of someones. Enjoy your evening.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

FetusSlapper posted:

The sad thing is, the issue with the CHAI sounds like a genuine concern but it's going to be overshadowed completely by it obviously being a play at Hilary's candidacy and liberal blinders completely ignoring it.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The sad thing is, the issue with the CHAI sounds like a genuine concern

It sounds like the kind of tax law minutia that the GOP really shouldn't be shining a spotlight on; because all the looming shadows created are going to belong to them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Petr posted:

When they start apportioning electoral votes by district results rather than state results. Take Pennsylvania for instance. It's basically one decent city, one "actually West Virginia but close enough" city, and a bunch of inbred fucks who talk like boomhauer and say yinz in between the cities. Population-wise the majority of voters in the state are going to be in those cities, and a huge majority of those city-dwellers are not down with the GOP. Moreso in the decent city than the 'burgh, but the stats legislature can draw electoral districts so that they concentrate as much of the civilized vote into as few districts as possible, while slathering the mumbling chickenfucker hill people vote as thinly as possible across all districts while still maintaining majorities.

Now, come every 4 years, you have the people in the cities always outvoting the loving filth in the woods. If they stop counting votes and just start counting familial-amplified birth defects per acre as a metric for awarding each district's electoral vote, then you've got like 14 wasteland districts with 50.1% dogshit and 5 with decent people running up the score 80-20, and you award 14 EVs to Ricky Boucher or whoever these dumb shits warble for, and 5 to Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders or whoever.

As of tonight Pennsylvania is not in danger of pulling this, seeing as their SCOTUS got a good infusion of competency.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
What's the likelihood of canning the EC? One heavyweight state that tends GOP but has a Democratic-heavy districting pulling that poo poo?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
We'll pretty much always have it. I don't really think we're eve near the ability to have any kind of changes to the constitution in our life time.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

DemeaninDemon posted:

What's the likelihood of canning the EC? One heavyweight state that tends GOP but has a Democratic-heavy districting pulling that poo poo?

EC won't ever be canned in our lifetimes but it's mildly likely that it gets gerrymandered.

If the district splitting of EV were to happen I think it would happen after the 2018 and before the 2020 election, assuming Clinton wins 2016. MI,PA,OH,FL would probably all do it in the same time frame. The GOP will grow their majorities significantly in 2018.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

There has been an attempt to make the presidential vote a popular vote that has been going on for the last ten years. It isn't there yet, though. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mitt Romney posted:

EC won't ever be canned in our lifetimes but it's mildly likely that it gets gerrymandered.

If the district splitting of EV were to happen I think it would happen after the 2018 and before the 2020 election, assuming Clinton wins 2016. MI,PA,OH,FL would probably all do it in the same time frame. The GOP will grow their majorities significantly in 2018.

When that happens all hail President Grand Crusader of Christ Huckabee.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

We'll pretty much always have it. I don't really think we're eve near the ability to have any kind of changes to the constitution in our life time.

Once the giant farting loudspeaker of the internet and its impact on politics are better understood; and the "new" media savvyness? of both sides equalizes I think the fringe will return to being the fringe and constructive things can start happening again. Mostly pipe dreaming on my part though.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

DemeaninDemon posted:

When that happens all hail President Grand Crusader of Christ Huckabee.

Yup. Even if just those 4 states do it, it would require election wins the size of Obama's at minimum for a Democratic candidate to win the white house.

The Democratic party has no state legislatures in red states so they could not EV gerrymander in response.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I forgot about this:

quote:

The Twenty-seventh Amendment (Amendment XXVII) to the United States Constitution prohibits any law that increases or decreases the salary of members of Congress from taking effect until the start of the next set of terms of office for Representatives. It is the most recent amendment. It was submitted by Congress to the states for ratification on September 25, 1789. The amendment became part of the United States Constitution on May 7, 1992, following a record-setting ratification period of 202 years, 7 months, and 12 days.[1][2]

I think it's the 12th? Amendment that makes the Electoral College.

The previous one to that was 1971.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 4, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

I forgot about this:

I think it's the 12th? Amendment that makes the Electoral College.

The previous one to that was 1971.

The EC is in the original Constitution. The 12th just changed how the EC selected the president and vice president (i.e. they were to be selected independently rather than VP being the runner up for President. Imagine a Vice President Mitt Romney)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
PA STATE RACES
PA SUPREME COURT -- 9,096 of 9,168 precincts reporting (99%)
Kevin Dougherty, Dem 1,073,753 19% (X)
David Wecht, Dem 1,065,150 18% (X)
Christine Donohue, Dem 1,054,565 18% (X)
Judy Olson, GOP 881,891 15%
Mike George, GOP 791,205 14%
Anne Covey, GOP 790,178 14%
Paul Panepinto, Oth 143,642 2%
PA. SUPERIOR COURT -- 9,096 of 9,168 precincts reporting (99%)
Alice Dubow, Dem 1,042,586 53% (X)
Emil Giordano, GOP 919,149 47%
PA. COMMONWEALTH COURT -- 9,096 of 9,168 precincts reporting (99%)
Michael Wojcik, Dem 1,045,361 53% (X)
Paul Lalley, GOP 932,319 47%

:toot:

At least there's something approaching good news today

• Locked thread