Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I preordered horizon on the frontier site but before doing it I didn't even bother to check if it'd be compatible with my steam version. Does anyone know the answer? I couldn't find a mention on the store page at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Sankis posted:

I preordered horizon on the frontier site but before doing it I didn't even bother to check if it'd be compatible with my steam version. Does anyone know the answer? I couldn't find a mention on the store page at all.

I'm sure it'll be fine. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I understand the Steam launcher just launches the Frontier launcher.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 4, 2015

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Shine posted:

A moment of silence please for Literally Kermit, who exploded in a HazRES after an excitable wingman rammed his Courier with a Vulture.

Shameful, to be quite honest

Sankis posted:

Zaardvark posted:

I'm sure it'll be fine. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I understand the Steam launcher just launches the Frontier launcher.

It launches the Frontier launcher and keeps the game up to date. But you login with your Frontier account, not the steam one. So pre-ordering from their website is fine.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 4, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Yeah all the content will be there regardless of whether you own the expansion or not, you just won't have access to it if you don't, like most open-world multiplayer stuff.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

A moment of silence please for Literally Kermit, who exploded in a HazRES after an excitable wingman rammed his Courier with a Vulture.

This makes me kind of disappointed that I logged off when I did last night. Would have loved to have been in mumble when that happened.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
It was a mix of condolences, apologies, and dying of laughter.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You mean like replace the drivers on the headset? I'll look at the Takstars. Amazon reviews make it sound solid.

Little pricey for me and not 100% sure how I would mount it without it being annoying. I was going to use 3M lock strips which I like a lot. EDTracker recommends to mount horizontally on top of my head.

Thanks for the recs though, guys. I'll look at everything.

I have Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 ones, they cost about 50€ in Germany, however amazon.com lists them at 99 USD??? , the stereo variant (which is also good and which I use on a second PC) is about 25€.

I can't say how they compare to Sennheisers but I like the sound (My dad, who is into hifi stuff big time, bought them for my mum to use with her computer after testing them and saying he thought they were excellent for the price).

Hopper fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 4, 2015

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Having recently become somewhat obsessed with the Imp ships after buying a Clipper I can't help but feel a little off about the impending debut of the Cutter.

It's the imperial offering to the Anaconda size class, right? The anaconda already takes up like 2/3rds of the mail slot on the way into a station. The size of the slot is not doing great things for my imagination when trying to imagine the cutter with it's nacelles out there on those wings fitting up into the slot and still being close to the size of an anaconda.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Having recently become somewhat obsessed with the Imp ships after buying a Clipper I can't help but feel a little off about the impending debut of the Cutter.

It's the imperial offering to the Anaconda size class, right? The anaconda already takes up like 2/3rds of the mail slot on the way into a station. The size of the slot is not doing great things for my imagination when trying to imagine the cutter with it's nacelles out there on those wings fitting up into the slot and still being close to the size of an anaconda.

Someone asked that same question about the Panther some time ago. I guess the answer will be the same: The ship will be longer to still get through the slot.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Someone asked that same question about the Panther some time ago. I guess the answer will be the same: The ship will be longer to still get through the slot.

They need to make the slots bigger.

OSHA, FSTC (Federal Space Travel Commission), The Department of Safety and HR were not very well informed on ship sizes versus entry ports and the dangers they pose to pilots flying larger ships when said ship takes up most of the slot (looking at you, T-9 pilots). These small mail slot entry ports pose an extreme hazard to pilots venturing in and out of stations due to the restrictions placed on available space. Not to mention the danger posed to the station itself should a pilot midjudge his approach and cause significant damage by impacting the station.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

LCL-Dead posted:

The anaconda already takes up like 2/3rds of the mail slot on the way into a station.
Less than half, actually. It's only a few meters wider than the Python. Two Anacondas can pass each other in the mail slot no problem if they're not too far toward center.

The Cutter will be big, though. My guess (pulled directly out of my rear end given the current lack of information on it) would be that it'll be roughly comparable to the Type 9/Clipper in width (so a little under double the Anaconda's width), about as long as the Anaconda (give or take a bit), and maybe a hair shorter than the Anaconda in height.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

Less than half, actually. It's only a few meters wider than the Python. Two Anacondas can pass each other in the mail slot no problem if they're not too far toward center.

The Cutter will be big, though. My guess (pulled directly out of my rear end given the current lack of information on it) would be that it'll be roughly comparable to the Type 9/Clipper in width (so a little under double the Anaconda's width), about as long as the Anaconda (give or take a bit), and maybe a hair shorter than the Anaconda in height.

That makes me feel a bit better. Didn't realize I was so off on the width guesstimate of the conda.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
The Clipper's length hosed with me for the first several times I docked. I'd get through the slot, rotate to align with the landing pad, then promptly smash a wing on something because the ship's rear end hadn't cleared the slot yet. I've since learned to let the ship coast further into the station before I do any maneuvering. I have to say though, I loving LOVE the thrusters on the Clipper. Even at D rank the ship nearly stops on a dime and is amazingly responsive to all the directional thrusters. It makes life in asteroids far easier than one would expect for a ship that big.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I thought all the stations had exterior landing pads for capital sized ships? Weird that the Anaconda and Cutter don't just use those, instead of risking doom with the mail slot.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Rime posted:

I thought all the stations had exterior landing pads for capital sized ships? Weird that the Anaconda and Cutter don't just use those, instead of risking doom with the mail slot.

If they do I don't think they've been implemented in the slightest. I've never seen a ship docking on the exterior and for all of my flyby's, have never seen anything resembling a landing pad on the exterior of a large station.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I took my cash from the Smuggling Years, combined it with my maxed out clipper's a grade components, and mashed it all together into a primo combat anaconda.

I spent some time trying various exciting new combinations of weapons. Railguns, beams, cannons, plasma accelerators, what have you.

Later on I remembered my inner cynic and turned the ship into four C3 pulses, two C2 pulses, and two C1 pulses, and spent the mega power savings on 8 shield boosters.

Anything short of a python is dead before my capacitor gets sucked dry.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Not very related but when I was coming back from my super expedition some idiot NPC in an asp crashed into me from behind when I was flying into the mail slot at skvortsov orbital and it gave me a heart attack

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

LCL-Dead posted:

If they do I don't think they've been implemented in the slightest. I've never seen a ship docking on the exterior and for all of my flyby's, have never seen anything resembling a landing pad on the exterior of a large station.
They don't exist. Official word is that ships that are too large to fit through the slot use smaller ships to shuttle supplies to/from stations.

E: Also today's stream confirmed 1.5 beta (not Horizons) is on the 9th, Horizons first stage beta on the 24th.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 4, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I enjoy the mail slots only being so large. Gives docking those few moments of terror rather than being a completely boring chore.

Besides, it's good to have SOMETHING that works against smugglers.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

They don't exist. Official word is that ships that are too large to fit through the slot use smaller ships to shuttle supplies to/from stations.

E: Also today's stream confirmed 1.5 beta (not Horizons) is on the 9th, Horizons first stage beta on the 24th.

Sweet, this means I better make it back before the 24th, so I can use the beta-access I bought when pre-ordering Horizons.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Libluini posted:

Sweet, this means I better make it back before the 24th, so I can use the beta-access I bought when pre-ordering Horizons.

Beta usually uses an old version of the universe, so you might get back only to realize you're still out in the black in beta. Do whatever you want to do for now and when the beta drops just self destruct back to civilization and buy everything for a fraction of what it costs in the main game.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I've never done a beta for E:D, how does it work exactly? Does anything I do in the beta transfer over to the main game? Do I have to write up issues?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So is there any kind of information yet on the ships they're bringing in 1.5? Thus far all I've seen are vague 'there's probably a ship named this' and 'we think a ship looking like this is in'.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Valatar posted:

So is there any kind of information yet on the ships they're bringing in 1.5? Thus far all I've seen are vague 'there's probably a ship named this' and 'we think a ship looking like this is in'.
This video is a week old, but probably the best overview I've seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM_tKCKpZOo

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I've never done a beta for E:D, how does it work exactly? Does anything I do in the beta transfer over to the main game? Do I have to write up issues?

How the Beta's work:

When you open up your ED launcher you'll notice a new option down in the install section. It will be listed as whatever beta is out at that moment. Click it, install it, then run the game with it selected and it will launch you into the beta versus the regular universe.

No ties to the main game at all. :frontear: would more than likely appreciate you writing up any issues encountered, since that is the primary purpose of the beta.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Valatar posted:

I've updated the list in the first post pertaining to 1.5, but I can give you a quick rundown here.

Federal Corvette - The big gun of the Federal ships.

Imperial Cutter - The big gun of the Imperial ships.

Imperial Fighter - basically a TIE fighter with nacelles instead of solar panels, the imperial counterpart to the condor short range fighter.

Viper MK4 - A bulkier version of the mk3, same hardpoints, slower, and presumably more/bigger internal space.

Asp Scout - Basically the same relationship with the Asp explorer that the Diamondbacks have, smaller, different hardpoints, less expensive.

Keelback - A Type6 with better armaments.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'm really not impressed with any of these..

..mild interest in the cutter but it will be another year before I can afford one, though I might have the rank by then at least.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.
I have to steal fish? What sort of space people are these? Where do I steal fish?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
You interdict and scan 50 NPCs in a row to not find fish and then realise that general piracy missions are loving bullshit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You interdict and scan 50 NPCs in a row to not find fish and then realise that general piracy missions are loving bullshit.

Don't forget that they can tell stolen fish from bought fish.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Keelback could be cool. I guess it depends on if it retains the T6's jump range too.

Otherwise, maybe a solid miner.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

AndroidHub posted:

Viper MK4 - A bulkier version of the mk3, same hardpoints, slower, and presumably more/bigger internal space.

I thought the viper mk4 is supposed to have an extra hardpoint as well? Or did they change their minds? Or was that always just a rumor? That's pretty much the only reason i wanted it....i hope we're not getting another ship that has the exact same hardpoints as three other existing ships (I'm also annoyed that the giant bad rear end murdership corvette has fewer hardpoints than the anaconda), though it does sound like typical :frontear: style game balancing.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Cobra MK4 does, but that's coming with horizons, which I guess isn't going to be the same update as 1.5 like they said? I don't know anymore, I think they just keep changing their minds.

It's is pretty reasonable to be at least a little miffed about the ships since 4 out of the 7 coming are variants basically, whereas two months ago we thought it was going to be one or maybe two variants (including the Cobra MK4).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdP1DmRYco8 Here's the VOD of the livestream earlier.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 4, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

AndroidHub posted:

Cobra MK4 does, but that's coming with horizons, which I guess isn't going to be the same update as 1.5 like they said? I don't know anymore, I think they just keep changing their minds.

Dropping an update and a gated expansion at once would be a nightmare, also gives us something to play with until Horizons

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AndroidHub posted:

It's is pretty reasonable to be at least a little miffed about the ships since 4 out of the 7 coming are variants basically, whereas two months ago we thought it was going to be one or maybe two variants (including the Cobra MK4).

No, it was always 1.5 for everyone and Horizons for everyone who has the expansion. So the other new ships are 1.5, but Cobra Mk.4 for example is only Horizons.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Libluini posted:

No, it was always 1.5 for everyone and Horizons for everyone who has the expansion. So the other new ships are 1.5, but Cobra Mk.4 for example is only Horizons.

No as in, they probably aren't coming at the same time, which they explicitly said they would a month or so ago. I'm not upset by it, more the opposite, but they do keep changing the story.

e: rewatching the livestream just now I don't really know, they are just kinda leaving it up in the air like always.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 4, 2015

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

I hope this means large ships will also be able to dock at outposts using smaller ships as shuttles, and that some dumb reason isn't invented to make it impossible.

AndroidHub posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdP1DmRYco8 Here's the VOD of the livestream earlier.

Whoops, I was thinking "cobra" when i read "viper" in your post, and also when I typed "viper" in mine :downs:

Still, I'd like to see the viper mk4 have a different hardpoint loadout rather than the same old poo poo.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Dammit. But I want to make the moneysssssss.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AndroidHub posted:

No as in, they probably aren't coming at the same time, which they explicitly said they would a month or so ago. I'm not upset by it, more the opposite, but they do keep changing the story.

On the other hand, they only mentioned "Holiday Season" at first and it's still both coming during that. For me it looks more they gave out real dates now, which is more "narrowing down" and less "changing the story".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Valatar posted:

The Clipper's length hosed with me for the first several times I docked. I'd get through the slot, rotate to align with the landing pad, then promptly smash a wing on something because the ship's rear end hadn't cleared the slot yet.
And then promptly explode because of that bug about scraping the side of the station.

• Locked thread